Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
post #3601 of 3676 Unread 12-21-2015, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Welcome! You'll probably find that 99% of people here are not having mains power issues since for most people the lamp flickering goes away on high lamp mode.

I gave up running low lamp mode on my 50ES since it got embarrassing to have to keep switching out of low lamp while people were over watching.
i'm still sticking to my original verdict that the mains power supply is causing the issue in LOW POWER mode......
i know this because the flickering goes away after a while then comes back again (without switching to high mode for a quick boost!!!)

I will be changing some components on the ballast circuit board soon to remove the stray harmonics from the PS.

Obliviously this is a SONY issue and they should fix it for free, but i don't want to wait weeks and they send it back unrepaired.
cemo62 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3676 Unread 12-21-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtelectronics View Post
i'm still sticking to my original verdict that the mains power supply is causing the issue in LOW POWER mode......
i know this because the flickering goes away after a while then comes back again (without switching to high mode for a quick boost!!!)

I will be changing some components on the ballast circuit board soon to remove the stray harmonics from the PS.

Obliviously this is a SONY issue and they should fix it for free, but i don't want to wait weeks and they send it back unrepaired.
I don't think it's a mains power supply issue. I FIRMLY believe it's a lamp issue. I switched back to low lamp again after maybe 250 hours on high lamp, and for the last 8 weeks or so - about 100 hours of watching, - it hasn't flickered once. I do think the lamps have arcs, and it seems like they really need a long push in high lamp to make low lamp usable again.

Again, this is just my experience...
post #3603 of 3676 Unread 12-21-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 934
Quote:
I don't think it's a mains power supply issue. I FIRMLY believe it's a lamp issue. I switched back to low lamp again after maybe 250 hours on high lamp, and for the last 8 weeks or so - about 100 hours of watching, - it hasn't flickered once. I do think the lamps have arcs, and it seems like they really need a long push in high lamp to make low lamp usable again.

I also believe this is a lamp issue. My new lamp was flickering and was getting worse over time. I tried switching between low and high which would make it go away for a few days or hours but it would come back. I thought it might be a heat issue or an electrical issue but I have put two of my older lamps back in as a test and neither flickered at all...ever. So the only variable that has changed is the lamp itself. There is a separate flicker thread in this forum and I also posted my findings there a few days ago.
post #3604 of 3676 Unread 12-21-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:

It's either buy a new Sony 4K $$$$$$$ or fix the HW50ES (fantastic picture quality), the flickering is driving me crazy and don't like using HIGH MODE, i have more bulbs here they all do the same.
I'll pop the beauty open and see whats going on.....
post #3605 of 3676 Unread 12-21-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:

It's either buy a new Sony 4K $$$$$$$ or fix the HW50ES (fantastic picture quality), the flickering is driving me crazy and don't like using HIGH MODE, i have more bulbs here they all do the same.
I'll pop the beauty open and see whats going on.....
cemo62 likes this.
post #3606 of 3676 Unread 12-27-2015, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Dark areas, especially from streaming content may exhibit what you aee seeing even with a fully calibrated display. Simply not enough data being presented by the provider.

If, on the other hand, you are seeing the anomoly with say, a good BD disk, then check you settings for both black and white levels at the very least with any pluge pattern from a decent test disk.

Doug k

When are you gonna replace your lamp? when it blows out?
post #3607 of 3676 Unread 12-28-2015, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post
When are you gonna replace your lamp? when it blows out?
If it makes it to 8000 hours, I will swap it then. I'll order another lamp from Pureland Supply (we used them a lot as they carry oem lamps for a few less bucks than Sony... About 190$ with the Phillips lamp)

The 8k bulb will go back in the box as a standby.

Doug k
post #3608 of 3676 Unread 12-28-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
If it makes it to 8000 hours, I will swap it then. I'll order another lamp from Pureland Supply (we used them a lot as they carry oem lamps for a few less bucks than Sony... About 190$ with the Phillips lamp)

The 8k bulb will go back in the box as a standby.

Doug k

I'm on 4,500 hrs and I the did the reset, picture looks fine to me but lately the projector been turning off/ on by it self and I'm confused if its a lamp issue or I'm dealing with something totally different. I still have my replacement bulb on standby.
post #3609 of 3676 Unread 12-28-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys are getting over 4000 hours on your bulbs? Wow!!!!!

I replace mine at about 1500 hours on my own (I don't wait for it to fail) and when you put in a new bulb, you notice how dim the old bulb really was. Might not be important to you guys but I guarantee the bulbs are nowhere near the brightness of a new bulb. It really is a very big difference. If I am going to spend the money on the projector, I might as well get the best picture possible out of it by replacing the bulb.
post #3610 of 3676 Unread 12-28-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I replace mine at about 1500 hours on my own (I don't wait for it to fail) and when you put in a new bulb, you notice how dim the old bulb really was. Might not be important to you guys but I guarantee the bulbs are nowhere near the brightness of a new bulb. It really is a very big difference. If I am going to spend the money on the projector, I might as well get the best picture possible out of it by replacing the bulb.
When new I measured about 325 lux at the center of the screen and now I have 260 or so. Indeed dimmer. At 260 lux/10.67 = 24.35 Foot Lamberts since I have a zero gain screen.

When calibrated I like between 12 and 18 FL which even the old lamp provides easily. Of note, my room when watching a film is theater dark.

Quote:
I'm on 4,500 hrs and I the did the reset, picture looks fine to me but lately the projector been turning off/ on by it self and I'm confused if its a lamp issue or I'm dealing with something totally different. I still have my replacement bulb on standby.
That is entirely another issue. When the PJ "shuts down" by itself, count the number of flashes and their colors iirc. Look in your manual and there will be a trouble shooting chart (page 69 and 72). count and note the flashes, follow the recommended solution. (Generally overheating). Have you cleaned the filter at least every 500 hours?

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

post #3611 of 3676 Unread 12-28-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
When new I measured about 325 lux at the center of the screen and now I have 260 or so. Indeed dimmer. At 260 lux/10.67 = 24.35 Foot Lamberts since I have a zero gain screen.

When calibrated I like between 12 and 18 FL which even the old lamp provides easily. Of note, my room when watching a film is theater dark.

That is entirely another issue. When the PJ "shuts down" by itself, count the number of flashes and their colors iirc. Look in your manual and there will be a trouble shooting chart (page 69 and 72). count and note the flashes, follow the recommended solution. (Generally overheating). Have you cleaned the filter at least every 500 hours?

Doug k

It's mostly green flashes just like when you turn off the projector and it flashes green still it shuts down, I'm not really on top of cleaning the filter but I did it last night.
post #3612 of 3676 Unread 12-28-2015, 04:10 PM

Smile

Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure is not bright as a new bulb but I got a very dark room with black screen wall so it helps a lot. I don't know if I'm gonna push for 8k like Doug but will ride it as long as I can .
post #3613 of 3676 Unread 12-29-2015, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
My projector has been doing this since about 100 hours. It's so infrequent, I couldn't justify sending it back for repair with doubt they would see the problem. Then every once in a while, it happens, sometimes twice within 10 minutes ... DRIVES ME NUTS! The hours are so low I doubt it's a dirty filter. I don't think it's got more than 200-300 hours on it now. Very disappointing and I've just chalked it up to a typical Sony product.

I didn't know what else to do other than to live with it. I may try a power conditioner just for grins.

You are the first person I've seen posting the same problem.
post #3614 of 3676 Unread 12-29-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korszo View Post
My projector has been doing this since about 100 hours. It's so infrequent, I couldn't justify sending it back for repair with doubt they would see the problem. Then every once in a while, it happens, sometimes twice within 10 minutes ... DRIVES ME NUTS! The hours are so low I doubt it's a dirty filter. I don't think it's got more than 200-300 hours on it now. Very disappointing and I've just chalked it up to a typical Sony product.

I didn't know what else to do other than to live with it. I may try a power conditioner just for grins.

You are the first person I've seen posting the same problem.
There are no indicator lights when the unit powers down?

When it shuts down, does the fan run for a bit or not?

Doug k
post #3615 of 3676 Unread 12-29-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Doug k

Doug,

It's just like you turning off the projector period, the green flashes still it shuts off.

Korszo

I 'm having the same issue just like you described, it even turns on by itself.
post #3616 of 3676 Unread 12-29-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
It's just like you turning off the projector period, the green flashes still it shuts off.

Korszo

OK!

My guess is that the PJ is receiving a power cycle command from a URC, or other IR transmitter-source.

While the PJ is setup to "turn on" with one ir command, with a remote, it will ask for you to confirm the power off command with another signal. That is why I am calling this a Guess.

What you two are dealing with is new to me. Never heard of it before on the web or in practice. Personally I would set aside some "Quality Time" with Sony Service. Carefully work your way up the food chain until you are speaking with a true tech rep., not a CSR. Ask for a tech rep and have the serial number of your PJ's handy.

Best of Luck.... Really weird Gremlin's imo

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

post #3617 of 3676 Unread 12-29-2015, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Doug,

Korszo

Do any of you use iRule by chance? I had a weird issue a year or so ago where my HW50 was randomly shutting off, and it took me a bit to figure it out.

I had the iTach that controls my projector via the iRule interface/application fed by USB power from my DVR, which had a previously un-diagnosed hard drive issue that was causing it to reboot randomly. Anytime it rebooted, it interrupted the iTach's power which, for whatever reason, then powered off my HW50. Very strange, but once I fixed the DVR the issue went away.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #3618 of 3676 Unread 12-29-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Doug k
The green indicator light flashes just like it was turned off, goes through it's cool down cycle, then turns it self back on.
post #3619 of 3676 Unread 12-29-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
Do any of you use iRule by chance? I had a weird issue a year or so ago where my HW50 was randomly shutting off, and it took me a bit to figure it out.

I had the iTach that controls my projector via the iRule interface/application fed by USB power from my DVR, which had a previously un-diagnosed hard drive issue that was causing it to reboot randomly. Anytime it rebooted, it interrupted the iTach's power which, for whatever reason, then powered off my HW50. Very strange, but once I fixed the DVR the issue went away.
No iRule, but a Harmony Ultimate RF with a infra transmitter. That is an interesting problem, will keep that in mind. Thanks!
post #3620 of 3676 Unread 12-29-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
OK!

My guess is that the PJ is receiving a power cycle command from a URC, or other IR transmitter-source.

While the PJ is setup to "turn on" with one ir command, with a remote, it will ask for you to confirm the power off command with another signal. That is why I am calling this a Guess.

What you two are dealing with is new to me. Never heard of it before on the web or in practice. Personally I would set aside some "Quality Time" with Sony Service. Carefully work your way up the food chain until you are speaking with a true tech rep., not a CSR. Ask for a tech rep and have the serial number of your PJ's handy.

Best of Luck.... Really weird Gremlin's imo

Doug k
My Harmony Ultimate shuts down everything including the projector without confirmation. This is a very strange problem. So infrequent, but when it happens it's very aggravating as it ruins the show ... especially the few times it happened twice within a short period of time. Never seen anyone else report this problem, so just lived with it.

I will definitely pay attention to the remote, never really thought of this. Thanks!
post #3621 of 3676 Unread 12-29-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korszo View Post
My Harmony Ultimate shuts down everything including the projector without confirmation. This is a very strange problem. So infrequent, but when it happens it's very aggravating as it ruins the show ... especially the few times it happened twice within a short period of time. Never seen anyone else report this problem, so just lived with it.

I will definitely pay attention to the remote, never really thought of this. Thanks!

We might be getting somewhere with this, I also use Harmony and I suspected it. I went ahead and change the setting in HDMI setting from auto to off, Im gonna keep an eye on it.
post #3622 of 3676 Unread 12-29-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
We might be getting somewhere with this, I also use Harmony and I suspected it. I went ahead and change the setting in HDMI setting from auto to off, Im gonna keep an eye on it.
And booga..... Clean that filter!
No need to replace. Just light soapy water. Rinse and rinse again. Then press dry with two paper towels flat. Do that again so no moisture shows on paper towels. Replace as new

FYI, my Bride and my own Butts have landed on the big All Off harmony button. Amazing that the infra red got through mine... My Brides never affected it😁, just in case she reads this.

Doug k
post #3623 of 3676 Unread 12-29-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
No need to replace. Just light soapy water. Rinse and rinse again. Then press dry with two paper towels flat. Do that again so no moisture shows on paper towels. Replace as new

FYI, my Bride and my own Butts have landed on the big All Off harmony button. Amazing that the infra red got through mine... My Brides never affected it😁, just in case she reads this.

Doug k

Doug, like I posted earlier Ive not been on top of cleaning the filter but I cleaned it a couple of days also after reading your post, thanks for your help.
post #3624 of 3676 Unread 12-30-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Doug k
So last night I'm watching Fargo (a very good tv show if anybody is looking for something to watch) and the projector shuts off again but this time it flashes red three times. From the manual it states either the lamp has reached its lifespan or it's over heating. I turn it back on today and its working okay so Im gonna give it another shot and if it shuts down I'm replacing the lamp.

Doug-any experiences with this?
post #3625 of 3676 Unread 12-30-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
So last night I'm watching Fargo (a very good tv show if anybody is looking for something to watch) and the projector shuts off again but this time it flashes red three times. From the manual it states either the lamp has reached its lifespan or it's over heating. I turn it back on today and its working okay so Im gonna give it another shot and if it shuts down I'm replacing the lamp.

Replace the lamp after checking for airflow. You should be feeling a pretty warm breeze coming from the front left vent of the PJ. If there is little or no airflow there, you have a fan problem and the PJ may need to be disassembled to replace the fan or give it a good cleaning. Generally, a service center would be your best course of action.

On the other hand, if you have decent airflow, replace the lamp as described in the manual. If you still get the overheat warning.. Service is required.

Doug k
post #3626 of 3676 Unread 12-30-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didn't you say above you are at 4500 hours on the bulb? I would replace the bulb regardless and probably fix the blinking red light issue and give you a nice increase in brightness to boot
post #3627 of 3676 Unread 12-30-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Didn't you say above you are at 4500 hours on the bulb? I would replace the bulb regardless and probably fix the blinking red light issue and give you a nice increase in brightness to boot
No argument from me with Frolichs advice. But do check the airflow and I should point out I meant from the front left vent while looking at the PJ head on in a top side up mode.

Doug k
post #3628 of 3676 Unread 12-31-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
No argument from me with Frolichs advice. But do check the airflow and I should point out I meant from the front left vent while looking at the PJ head on in a top side up mode.

Doug k
Just want to say for the record, I've had my HW50ES for about 3 years now. It came with a free extra bulb. The 2 original bulbs didn't really have the low lamp flicker issue. I replace my lamps every 1500-2000 hours or so. I bought a 3rd SONY OEM lamp, and after a about 500 hours it would constantly have the flicker issue, even after running in high mode for a while, put it back to low and it would flicker after 10 minutes. IMO it's a lamp QC issue, but if someone could figure a work around that would be great also.
post #3629 of 3676 Unread 12-31-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post
Just want to say for the record, I've had my HW50ES for about 3 years now. It came with a free extra bulb. The 2 original bulbs didn't really have the low lamp flicker issue. I replace my lamps every 1500-2000 hours or so. I bought a 3rd SONY OEM lamp, and after a about 500 hours it would constantly have the flicker issue, even after running in high mode for a while, put it back to low and it would flicker after 10 minutes. IMO it's a lamp QC issue, but if someone could figure a work around that would be great also.
Your experience is almost mirror image of mine. I am on my 4th lamp. I replace every 1500 hours and only my last lamp (3rd lamp) flickered. The workaround of switching between high and low lamp worked for a while but it got to the point I just decided to replace it at about 800 hours. My current lamp is pretty new but so far no signs of flicker. Still very happy with the picture quality (when its not flickering ).
post #3630 of 3676 Unread 12-31-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Your experience is almost mirror image of mine. I am on my 4th lamp. I replace every 1500 hours and only my last lamp (3rd lamp) flickered. The workaround of switching between high and low lamp worked for a while but it got to the point I just decided to replace it at about 800 hours. My current lamp is pretty new but so far no signs of flicker. Still very happy with the picture quality (when its not flickering ).
Was the 3rd OEM sony lamp in a Sony box? New and sealed? About $240? AFAIK, all Sony uses are Phillips 200 watt hpl lamps in the 30/50/55 es series.

Not a recommendation, but from serious purchase quantity for clients and then having little back flow, Pureland Supply (about $185) has the Phillips lamps mounted in the Sony housings and as long as the Phillips lamps are in there... Only the normal arc issues rectified by high/low settings, run well for extended periods.

I reiterate again, lamp hours are directly connected to power cycles. The more cycles, the less and from the sounds of it, more problematic (shorter/arcing) issues.

Doug k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector