Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #3631 of 3649 Old 01-01-2016, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Was the 3rd OEM sony lamp in a Sony box? New and sealed? About $240? AFAIK, all Sony uses are Phillips 200 watt hpl lamps in the 30/50/55 es series.

Not a recommendation, but from serious purchase quantity for clients and then having little back flow, Pureland Supply (about $185) has the Phillips lamps mounted in the Sony housings and as long as the Phillips lamps are in there... Only the normal arc issues rectified by high/low settings, run well for extended periods.

I reiterate again, lamp hours are directly connected to power cycles. The more cycles, the less and from the sounds of it, more problematic (shorter/arcing) issues.

Doug k

So which are the best lamps out there? and where are you guys buying em?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3649 Old 01-04-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Was the 3rd OEM sony lamp in a Sony box? New and sealed? About $240? AFAIK, all Sony uses are Phillips 200 watt hpl lamps in the 30/50/55 es series.

Doug k
My 3rd lamp is as you described FYI.
post #3633 of 3649 Old 01-04-2016, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 55
And my 50ES started flickering again last night. Had been several months of low-lamp perfection but it didn't last. Back to high lamp for a while I guess! At 1020 hours now.
post #3634 of 3649 Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 34
All projectors with UHP lamps will display arcing/flashing. Iirc, only Christie's for a time had a flicker mode that automatically tried to eliminate the visible pulsing of the lamps.

I have over 6000 hours on my original lamp and have found that with just a few presses of buttons on my remote, switching from high to low or versa takes but a few seconds.

Just for grins and because the apps are free.... Take a light reading in lux with your phone of a 100% white full screen pattern. Do it in high and low mode.

Using the camera pointed at the PJ from the screen, get a reading in lux

Lux/10.67 = FL with a zero gain screen.

This will give you a very accurate FL measurement.

While your 51+fl would indeed be too bright in a dark room, I sincerely question whether the PJ even with a brand new bulb would produce that level.

Just trying to help...

Doug k
post #3635 of 3649 Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 PM

Need replacement filter.

Been looking at the Sony site and the usual haunts for a replacement filter.
Has someone found anything that is the right thickness to cut from a template from my old filter?

The one that came with my replacement lamp crumbled to dust. The original is still OK, I just want a backup.

Thanks
Doug k
post #3636 of 3649 Old 05-24-2016, 11:47 AM

I just sent mine to a Sony Service site in NY as per instructions from Sony Service. Mine showed a "halo" which I believe is caused by the optical block needing to be cleaned or perhaps replaced.

Sony concurred and since the PJ is still under warranty, a free packing slip (fed ex) was provided by United Radio. The PJ arrived there today. I have no further data as yet.

Call Sony. I was able to complete the call and wrap up the paperwork in short order.

You will need.

The serial number.
Your sales slip.

If you still have your box... Piece of cake to ship.

Good luck

Doug k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160518_112929_1464115292008.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1457538  
post #3637 of 3649 Old 05-25-2016, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I currently have a 110" Stewart Neve 16:9. I'm building a theater with 12 feet width and planning for a AT screen 2:35-1. How big will the projector throw and what is the maximum size of screen I can go with zoom? The projector central doesn't specify after zoom what size I can go.

B&W 683, HTM61, DS3, CCM665 and ASW61
Integra DTR 50.5
Sony VPL-HW50ES, Oppo 103
post #3638 of 3649 Old 05-25-2016, 09:25 PM

post #3639 of 3649 Old 06-08-2016, 09:32 PM

Just an FYI,
Sony is replacing (via United Radio) the optical block which retails on a site recommended by Sony for... Wait for it... Over $4500 bucks. Granted, that is a retail price.

If your hw50es is showing signs of what my image attachment depicts or the fellows post just ahead of mine and you are still in warranty,...

Just a heads up.

During dark scenes or very light shots the halo appeared after maybe 6000 hours. Bulb replacement did nothing to ameliorate the issue. Quite frankly, no one else ever mentioned it while viewing and I only caught it when running a few test slides to touch up the Cal. Of course after I caught it... I could see it in many instances. Dang fussy isf eyeballs.

Anyway, I will be happy to get it back. While my trusty Panny Plasma is filling in well.. (I had forgotten what good black levels it produces) the 50" image just ain't the same as the 110" screen.

I will post the new 20ire screenshot when I get it back up and running.

Doug k
post #3640 of 3649 Old 06-17-2016, 04:04 PM

Well, got it back.

As you can see all is not right with the world.

The good news other than I have to go back to my plasma for another spell, is that the Sony engineers said send it back. Must have been dropped even though United Radio did a great job of double boxing the return.

I will send it back and update you guys when I can.

Doug k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160615_091133_1466204401304.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1503041  
post #3641 of 3649 Old 06-28-2016, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Random Shut Down Issue

Has anyone else had issues with the HW50ES randomly shutting down? This has started happening to me (of course in the middle of movie night or Game of Thrones). No warning, it just goes black and starts powering down. Once it powers off, I am able to turn back on. It’s very random (once a week or so). I called Sony and they suggest I first try disconnecting the projector for a day or so and then connect again and see if it happens again. If it persists they say I need to send to the repair place. I bought the projector new from Sony when they released it in 2012, so no longer under warranty. Any ideas would be helpful. I would like to avoid sending it in for repairs if their first suggestion does not work. I plan to get a 4K Sony next year. Hoping this projector holds out for another 6+ months.
post #3642 of 3649 Old 06-28-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo9000 View Post
Has anyone else had issues with the HW50ES randomly shutting down? This has started happening to me (of course in the middle of movie night or Game of Thrones). No warning, it just goes black and starts powering down. Once it powers off, I am able to turn back on. It’s very random (once a week or so). I called Sony and they suggest I first try disconnecting the projector for a day or so and then connect again and see if it happens again. If it persists they say I need to send to the repair place. I bought the projector new from Sony when they released it in 2012, so no longer under warranty. Any ideas would be helpful. I would like to avoid sending it in for repairs if their first suggestion does not work. I plan to get a 4K Sony next year. Hoping this projector holds out for another 6+ months.
Not had that happening. My HW50ES is a year newer. Is there anything in particular you can think of that triggers it? Has it been on a long time when it does, or is it random in that it can turn off after a few minutes? You're making it sound like it's going through a "proper" shutdown procedure - i.e. flashing green light? Perhaps it's overheating? You may want to check the filter and see if it's clean..

Other than that... uh... yeah... no idea.
post #3643 of 3649 Old 06-28-2016, 09:33 PM

Great questions by Williamg. Please provide feedback on those.

In addition...

Is the lamp a replacement from a company not using a Phillips lamp?

Is the lamp cartridge from a quality provider?

How many hours overall on the PJ?

Current hours on the lamp?

Have you replaced the lamp and found that you still have the issue?

Have you asked nicely to see if they might extend the warranty?

Doug k
post #3644 of 3649 Old 06-29-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Not had that happening. My HW50ES is a year newer. Is there anything in particular you can think of that triggers it? Has it been on a long time when it does, or is it random in that it can turn off after a few minutes? You're making it sound like it's going through a "proper" shutdown procedure - i.e. flashing green light? Perhaps it's overheating? You may want to check the filter and see if it's clean..

Other than that... uh... yeah... no idea.
Unfortunately there is nothing that I can see that would trigger the shutdown. It has happened when watching different sources (Blu-ray, cable, etc.) - sometimes an hour in sometimes more. I did check the filter and cleaned it, but that did not seem to help. I replaced the bulb a while ago with the extra bulb that came with the projector. That did not solve the issue. I plugged the projector in again last night and watched a movie and some TV, so it was on for about 3 hours. It has not happened yet. Fingers crossed that somehow that has solved the issue.
post #3645 of 3649 Old 07-01-2016, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo9000 View Post
Unfortunately there is nothing that I can see that would trigger the shutdown. It has happened when watching different sources (Blu-ray, cable, etc.) - sometimes an hour in sometimes more. I did check the filter and cleaned it, but that did not seem to help. I replaced the bulb a while ago with the extra bulb that came with the projector. That did not solve the issue. I plugged the projector in again last night and watched a movie and some TV, so it was on for about 3 hours. It has not happened yet. Fingers crossed that somehow that has solved the issue.
Did you notice your warning light flashing on the projector? It should flash in a sequence. Count the number of flashes and then look in the manual to see what the issue could be. Mine has randomly shut down twice since I have had it and just this week did it the second time. Mine was flashing three times which means either the bulb is bad or the projector overheated. Since I just replaced the bulb I have to assume it got to hot and shut down to protect itself. It's the summer time so it doesn't surprise me as it gets fairly warm in my room.
post #3646 of 3649 Old 07-01-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Did you notice your warning light flashing on the projector? It should flash in a sequence. Count the number of flashes and then look in the manual to see what the issue could be. Mine has randomly shut down twice since I have had it and just this week did it the second time. Mine was flashing three times which means either the bulb is bad or the projector overheated. Since I just replaced the bulb I have to assume it got to hot and shut down to protect itself. It's the summer time so it doesn't surprise me as it gets fairly warm in my room.
Thanks! I'll have to pay attention to the warning light next time this happens. Usually I'm so frustrated that it has interrupted the movie/show that I don't notice the flashing lights. I'll report back when it does.
post #3647 of 3649 Old 07-21-2016, 06:29 AM

Sony service

Recently I had contacted Sony es and pro gear about a "halo" effect which changed the color balance about 2' from the edge of my 110"screen.

Promptly, they got back and set up a FedEx pickup to ship it to United Radio, Sony's East coast repair facility.

I sent the unit in, they replaced the optical block and shipped it back. Upon arrival I noticed an even worse condition most likely caused by a drop in shipping. Took a few pattern pix and reported back to the pro repair folks. They sent another label and off it went. At United Radio, it was confirmed that the unit was not easily repairable, probably another optical block and other issues.

United Radio called me and said a rep from Sony would be calling from their resolution center within the next day or so. Two hours later, I received the call and the replacement, a Vpl-hw65es was going to sent within 3 or for days. It arrived right on time.

Just perfect service from an electronics company. They will have my loyalty for standing behind their products.

When I called initially I had all my records ready and pictures of the anomaly. They appreciated that, at least they said so.

BTW, the 65 is superior to the 50, but looks like the exact same case. Oob colors are so good, I have not even broken out my gear to measure. I did use the pixel shift a few pix red and blue H&V, but other than that... Wow. Everything you read as reviews rings true so I will let you snag that data.

Good on Sony for handling this and for producing probably the most accurate 1080p unit on the market at this price point.

Thanks Sony!

Doug
post #3648 of 3649 Old Today, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am jumping into the HW50 pool as I just picked up a used one from a local guy. Everything looked pretty good when I inspected the picture quality prior to purchase. Have not yet had a chance to get it mounted and then calibrating it but will be doing so this weekend. I am coming from a lower end single DLP that was 12 years old so this is a big step up in picture quality for me.

From time to time, the Gene Pool could use a little chlorine ...
post #3649 of 3649 Old Today, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 19
New HW50 owner here seekgin some guidance. How do you check the system hours (not bulb) on this set? I saw methods as to how to do this on other projectors & they pointed me to this thread but I don't see anything in here showing such details. I have also not had a chance to set up the projector yet as I just got it Friday and have a LOT of yardwork to do so perhaps it is simply an option in the normal menu of these units? Thanks in advance

From time to time, the Gene Pool could use a little chlorine ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector