Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3721 of 3736 Old 07-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Member
 
networkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. So my projector is telling me I need a new bulb. I am unsure how long between the first warning and dead, maybe someone could enlighten me (see what I did there).

I am trying to determine between the Sony supplied bulb at 434 NZD and one from a projector lamp place here in NZ who call their bulbs OEM, which is about 1/3 the price?

Or has anyone had good luck with getting bulbs from Ebay that ship internationally that would be worth considering (and wouldn't mind sharing a link for)?
networkn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3722 of 3736 Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
ltd76gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Zigzag Oregon / South Padre Island Texas
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've had lamps last over 7000 hours, especially on units that have limited power cycles (long run times).

Check how many hours are on your lamp. Make a note then reset the lamp timer to clear the message.

Regarding a replacement.

Your lamp is a LMP-H202. Unless you are pretty skilled with swapping out just the bulb, I recommend that you buy the complete lamp module.

This stateside company does have decent prices which should give you enough data to compare with what you may have to spend in NZD.

http://www.purelandsupply.com/sony-p..._lmp-h202.html

All the best!

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Retired )
ltd76gold is offline  
post #3723 of 3736 Old 07-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Member
 
networkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
I've had lamps last over 7000 hours, especially on units that have limited power cycles (long run times).

Check how many hours are on your lamp. Make a note then reset the lamp timer to clear the message.

Regarding a replacement.

Your lamp is a LMP-H202. Unless you are pretty skilled with swapping out just the bulb, I recommend that you buy the complete lamp module.

This stateside company does have decent prices which should give you enough data to compare with what you may have to spend in NZD.

http://www.purelandsupply.com/sony-p..._lmp-h202.html

All the best!

Doug k
Thanks. The local people offering a price of about half what a new Sony bulb have offered, are saying it's an Original Bulb, with a 3rd Party Housing. I am not sure if the housing is a particularly big deal, the bulb is the important thing right?

I'll check the hours on the Projector, I am pretty sure last time I checked it a few months ago it was sitting around 1800 Hours but spends it's entire life on High Bulb setting to counter the flickering issue so many people talk about (though I still get flickering on high).
networkn is offline  
 
post #3724 of 3736 Old 07-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Senior Member
 
ltd76gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Zigzag Oregon / South Padre Island Texas
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'd try the 1/2 price lamp.
Swap it out and see.
ltd76gold is offline  
post #3725 of 3736 Old 07-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Member
 
networkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
I'd try the 1/2 price lamp.
Swap it out and see.
Ok, so I checked and the bulb has 2020 hours on it, I'd say at least 75% of that was spent at least in high mode.
networkn is offline  
post #3726 of 3736 Old 07-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
ltd76gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Zigzag Oregon / South Padre Island Texas
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Buy the new 1/2 price bulb. Swap it out and keep the original for a backup.
ltd76gold is offline  
post #3727 of 3736 Old 07-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
baloo_btru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Hey guys! Unfortunately, I have to sell my HW50ES. I've had it since 2013 and loved it (although I have <700 hours on it!) but we are moving and I can't accommodate a projector in our new place I likely will end up with a 75" tv or something. Sad to think that it will feel small after my 110" screen!

Anyway, I'm wondering what you guys think the projector is worth in the used market? I have the original box plus an extra bulb.

I know with technology value drops quickly but I still feel this is a high quality projector, better than the budget stuff you can buy for $1500 or less.

Anyone sell or buy a used one recently? Thoughts?

Thanks!

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
baloo_btru is offline  
post #3728 of 3736 Old 07-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
ltd76gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Zigzag Oregon / South Padre Island Texas
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 42
$1000 to $1250 with the box, manuals and lamp.

All the best,
Doug k
baloo_btru likes this.
ltd76gold is offline  
post #3729 of 3736 Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
baloo_btru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
$1000 to $1250 with the box, manuals and lamp.

All the best,
Doug k
Thanks!

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
baloo_btru is offline  
post #3730 of 3736 Old 07-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve Ruddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Guerneville CA
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Banding jittery pans, and other artifats

I rent BluRay Discs from Netflix. I only rent current releases. There are many that show banding, jittery pans and other artifacts. Is there something wrong with my projector or player or is the quality just hit or miss? I remember when I got my Denon 5900 player using it with my Sanyo Z2 projector folks were complaining of macro blocking. I only saw one DVD release that had the problem. I don't ever remember seeing banding issues like I have now.

Steve Ruddy
Steve Ruddy is offline  
post #3731 of 3736 Old 07-28-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ruddy View Post
I rent BluRay Discs from Netflix. I only rent current releases. There are many that show banding, jittery pans and other artifacts. Is there something wrong with my projector or player or is the quality just hit or miss? I remember when I got my Denon 5900 player using it with my Sanyo Z2 projector folks were complaining of macro blocking. I only saw one DVD release that had the problem. I don't ever remember seeing banding issues like I have now.
It's usually the media. Some Blu-rays are just plain awful with banding/bad pans etc. If you give me an example of a movie and a time-stamp, it's pretty easy for many of us to check on our end.

Last edited by WilliamG; 07-28-2017 at 05:21 PM.
WilliamG is online now  
post #3732 of 3736 Old 07-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve Ruddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Guerneville CA
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
It's usually the media. Some Blu-rays are just plain awful with banding/bad pans etc. If you give me an example of a movie and a time-stamp, it's pretty easy for many of to check on our end.
Ok Thanks, next time I see issues I'll take photos and supply the time info. It seems very prevalent and I just expect at this point in time for it to be non existent when watching BluRay on good equipment. I guess I'll be waiting forever to see these issues resolved when streaming media.

Steve Ruddy
Steve Ruddy is offline  
post #3733 of 3736 Old 07-28-2017, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ruddy View Post
Ok Thanks, next time I see issues I'll take photos and supply the time info. It seems very prevalent and I just expect at this point in time for it to be non existent when watching BluRay on good equipment. I guess I'll be waiting forever to see these issues resolved when streaming media.
Again, it massively depends on the source. Was there a particular movie you can remember that exhibits it, off the top of your head? And yes, photos and timestamps definitely help!
WilliamG is online now  
post #3734 of 3736 Old 07-28-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,725
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ruddy View Post
Ok Thanks, next time I see issues I'll take photos and supply the time info. It seems very prevalent and I just expect at this point in time for it to be non existent when watching BluRay on good equipment. I guess I'll be waiting forever to see these issues resolved when streaming media.
Are you seeing flicker from an old bulb?

What do you have Motionflow set to?

Is Reality Creation enabled?

Have your Blu-ray player settings changed? Is it sending 8, 10, or 12 bit color?
AMartin56 is online now  
post #3735 of 3736 Old 07-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Steve Ruddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Guerneville CA
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Are you seeing flicker from an old bulb?

What do you have Motionflow set to?

Is Reality Creation enabled?

Have your Blu-ray player settings changed? Is it sending 8, 10, or 12 bit color?
I'm not using motion flow, RC is set to resolution 4, noise 0, player was set at stock 24 bit, I just changed it to 36 bit deep color. bulb is good.

Steve Ruddy
Steve Ruddy is offline  
post #3736 of 3736 Old 08-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve Ruddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Guerneville CA
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Again, it massively depends on the source. Was there a particular movie you can remember that exhibits it, off the top of your head? And yes, photos and timestamps definitely help!
I just watched a BD last night using my Oppo player. Skayfall was the title ans jerky pan from 33:30 - 33:37

Steve Ruddy
Steve Ruddy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off