Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread
avsforumsdsd's Avatar avsforumsdsd 05:39 AM 12-22-2012
I too just got on the pre order list for the HW50. A special thanks to Mike.

I'm excited as it has been over 6 years since my last projector upgrade. My current model is a DLP Toshiba TDP-MT8 and it is still working great. But I saw a demo of a HW30 in a showroom a few months back and decided it was time to upgrade.

I want to thank all the AVS forum members for their expertise on helping me decide on which projector would suit my needs the best. It has been fun reading and learning. I have a lot more to learn.luojie

mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 08:53 AM 12-22-2012
Why did you get your name on a preorder list? Preorders are orders before the manufacturer is delivering projectors to end users either through dealers on through its own site or store. The HW50ES has been shipping for months. A dealer because of a lack of capital or a failure to adequately predict demand or having an unreasonable expectation of a manufacturers ability to deliver product when the manufacturer is losing money hand over fist runs out of the projector or itself fails to accurately predict demand and has to await another shipment. An order placed at this point is not a pre order, it is an order taken but not shipped. Usually it can be cancelled by the buyer at any time before shipment to him from the dealer.

Not that you should. You are in good hands with Mike and AV Science.
Craig Peer's Avatar Craig Peer 10:24 AM 12-22-2012
You know the drill Mark. It's hard to predict demand. And sometimes the manufacturer only has so many available to each reseller at any one time. Heck, K & L Wine ran out of Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montancino Tenuta Nuevo 2007 before I could buy a 1/2 case. I'm on the waiting list now ( and on the pre-order list for Le Viexe Donjon Chateauneuf du Pape 2010 ). As it goes in the projector world, so it goes in the world of wine...................wink.gif
dan webster's Avatar dan webster 10:44 AM 12-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

I got my projector 3rd week of November. I got the spare lamp this week!
I got mine from the first shipment from avs in october. No spare lamp yet. I just passed the 400 hr mark and i continue to be impressed with the projector.
cemo62's Avatar cemo62 11:10 AM 12-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

I got mine from the first shipment from avs in october. No spare lamp yet. I just passed the 400 hr mark and i continue to be impressed with the projector.

can you tell us the performance about 2d and 3d @sony hw50es, sorry for my english
saiyolang's Avatar saiyolang 04:38 PM 12-22-2012
HI All,

I just receive my Xmas present
Brand Spanking New HW50ES with the Spare Lamp. I'm excited.
tjsbuyer's Avatar tjsbuyer 11:57 PM 12-22-2012
Got my shinny new HW50 up today (replacing an 8 year old Infocus Screenplay 7205 DLP). As decent as that machine was in its day obviously there have been a ton of improvements. Spent the most of the day getting it hung as well as a new Denon 3313 and Oppo 103 bluray all hooked up. Hanging the projector took the most time because on the mount position had to be moved (lens was offset on the infocus and a little further back from the screen as well as higher because of a fixed offset). I'm very anal about alignment so it was a long task. It is mounted a couple of inches below the top of the screen and about 15 feet back projecting on to a 110" Stewart Firehawk. My primary seating is around the 13ft. Watched first bluray tonight with the kids ( the latest ice age). We just did 2d. It was late enough by the time I got done without attempting to get the 3d going. My whole family was Wowed. Nice, bright, vibrant and sharp. I was running Reality Creation on 20 and through a Darbee set at HD30. Factory settings on projector. Cinema 1, D65, BT709, Low lamp. So far I am impressed. I was only able to demo last years HW30. The HW50 is definitely brighter and we even had some pot lights on medium in the back of the room so we could wrap presents at the same time. Can hardly wait to put lots of content through over the holidays.
dan webster's Avatar dan webster 08:17 AM 12-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsbuyer View Post

Got my shinny new HW50 up today (replacing an 8 year old Infocus Screenplay 7205 DLP). As decent as that machine was in its day obviously there have been a ton of improvements. Spent the most of the day getting it hung as well as a new Denon 3313 and Oppo 103 bluray all hooked up. Hanging the projector took the most time because on the mount position had to be moved (lens was offset on the infocus and a little further back from the screen as well as higher because of a fixed offset). I'm very anal about alignment so it was a long task. It is mounted a couple of inches below the top of the screen and about 15 feet back projecting on to a 110" Stewart Firehawk. My primary seating is around the 13ft. Watched first bluray tonight with the kids ( the latest ice age). We just did 2d. It was late enough by the time I got done without attempting to get the 3d going. My whole family was Wowed. Nice, bright, vibrant and sharp. I was running Reality Creation on 20 and through a Darbee set at HD30. Factory settings on projector. Cinema 1, D65, BT709, Low lamp. So far I am impressed. I was only able to demo last years HW30. The HW50 is definitely brighter and we even had some pot lights on medium in the back of the room so we could wrap presents at the same time. Can hardly wait to put lots of content through over the holidays.
Welcome the the sony hw50 club. I also use a darbee with mine at about hd40, with RC set to about 15. When you do get around to using 3d be sure to lower the RC settings, Mine were default at 50 in the preset 3d modes as opposed to 20 in non 3d modes. I watched MIB 3 3d last night with my family ( great movie imo ) I used one of the 3d preset modes that i have not adjusted yet and after about 3 min my daughter noticed the faces were very grainy. I checked the menu and saw RC was at 50. I lowered it to 20 and the difference was amazing. I paused it on a close up Will Smiths face and raised and lowered it several times ( much to my wifes a objections) It really can make the picture look great or really bad depending on where you set it.
Enjoy your new toy . Just out of curiosity how many hours did you have on your infocus after eight years of use. I just passed 400 hrs on my sony.
tjsbuyer's Avatar tjsbuyer 08:52 AM 12-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

Welcome the the sony hw50 club. I also use a darbee with mine at about hd40, with RC set to about 15. When you do get around to using 3d be sure to lower the RC settings, Mine were default at 50 in the preset 3d modes as opposed to 20 in non 3d modes. I watched MIB 3 3d last night with my family ( great movie imo ) I used one of the 3d preset modes that i have not adjusted yet and after about 3 min my daughter noticed the faces were very grainy. I checked the menu and saw RC was at 50. I lowered it to 20 and the difference was amazing. I paused it on a close up Will Smiths face and raised and lowered it several times ( much to my wifes a objections) It really can make the picture look great or really bad depending on where you set it.
Enjoy your new toy . Just out of curiosity how many hours did you have on your infocus after eight years of use. I just passed 400 hrs on my sony.
I know what you mean about playing with settings during a movie. I was doing it all night, much to my kids and wifes protest. The new MIB is on my holiday playlist. Thanks for the feedback on 3d settings.
My Infocus had right around 8000 hours on it and went through 4 lamps. We average around 900 hrs/year but that is primarily during the months of Nov-Apr. The room doesn't get near as much use during the summer. The Infocus served us well but finally started failing. I was going to upgrade for the past 3 years but kept procrastinating. Luckily it made my mind up for me.
saiyolang's Avatar saiyolang 01:36 PM 12-23-2012
Anybody know where to get an pretty decent anamorphic lens?

thanks
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 02:15 PM 12-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyolang View Post

Anybody know where to get an pretty decent anamorphic lens?
thanks

Yes. What are you looking for?
Frohlich's Avatar Frohlich 03:38 PM 12-23-2012
Ran the Disney WOW disc today. Thing was spot on from the factory...literally. I went through the whole disc and at most switched settings maybe one tick left or right (like moving contrast from 90 to 89). Good news is it was spot on...bad news is I fee like I waisted a lot of time for nothing. smile.gif
MeeTsenPu's Avatar MeeTsenPu 07:13 AM 12-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Ran the Disney WOW disc today. Thing was spot on from the factory...literally. I went through the whole disc and at most switched settings maybe one tick left or right (like moving contrast from 90 to 89). Good news is it was spot on...bad news is I fee like I waisted a lot of time for nothing. smile.gif

What preset did you start with?
tjsbuyer's Avatar tjsbuyer 07:50 AM 12-24-2012
Ran through some basic calibration screens last night. As well as checked focis uniformity and convergence. Convergence was spot on. Slight soft focus just right of center but that was with 1 pixel text covering the screen. Never would be noticed on normal test screens or certainly no watching any content. Had to drop contrast from default of 90 to 83. Everything else was very good. I'll leave everything alone now until I can get over 100 hours on the lamp and do a full calibration. So far, very impressed.
blipszyc's Avatar blipszyc 08:42 AM 12-24-2012
So I received my Advanced Replacement on Friday - #237 - only 6 from my original #231, so my hopes were not high. As suspected, the buzz is still there. Sony claims that there will be a small amount of buzz when in 3D. As I have never seen or demo'd a HW30, I don't have anything to compare with, but to me, the buzzing is annoying. I've gone into the Service Menu and changed the power level to 1, which helps, but it is still there. As I plan on using the Monster 3D glasses, I hope there is enough power at that setting to activate the Monster sensor.
paris401's Avatar paris401 09:37 AM 12-24-2012
Quote:

Ran through some basic calibration screens last night. As well as checked focis uniformity and convergence. Convergence was spot on. Slight soft focus just right of center but that was with 1 pixel text covering the screen. Never would be noticed on normal test screens or certainly no watching any content. Had to drop contrast from default of 90 to 83. Everything else was very good. I'll leave everything alone now until I can get over 100 hours on the lamp and do a full calibration. So far, very impressed.

i to want to upgrade from a infocus 7210 to this machine...how is the brightness compared to the infocus?? also a bit concerned about motion, as we mostly watch sports with a rare movie thrown it... our screen is a screen research 11,
115 ''with an advestied gain of 0.95..thanks
Frohlich's Avatar Frohlich 09:49 AM 12-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeTsenPu View Post

What preset did you start with?

Reference setting. I even thought to myself the picture was so nice that I wonder how much better it could possibly get. Ran through the whole WOW disc and changed virtually nothing. The only minor complaint I have is that the black levels aren't as good as my Panasonic 65 inch VT series plasma but a small price to pay for having a screen four times the size smile.gif
tjsbuyer's Avatar tjsbuyer 10:34 PM 12-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post

i to want to upgrade from a infocus 7210 to this machine...how is the brightness compared to the infocus?? also a bit concerned about motion, as we mostly watch sports with a rare movie thrown it... our screen is a screen research 11,
115 ''with an advestied gain of 0.95..thanks
Well I just came from an Infocus 7205 to this machine. My screen is a 110" stewart firehawk which has a slightly higher advertised gain. I have only put 10 hours on the projector so far. 1 hour of screen tests and calibration, 4 hours of bluray. 1 hour of 3d bluray 1 hour of HDTV and 3 hours of NFL on satellite HDTV. I watched the Giants / Ravens game late last night off of my satellite PVR. I have my Denon doing the scaling to 1080p for the satellite before it gets to the projector. Aside from watching the Giants blow their chances for the playoffs, I enjoyed the picture. I have not measured anything with a meter and won't get around to it till I do a proper calibration after 100 hours, although as I posted above, getting a very good picture with some basic calibration screen tests was very easy and very close out of the box.

Seat of the pants impression: As far as brightness I think on low lamp it is just as bright as my 7205 was. I think on high lamp it is brighter than the 7205 was on high lamp. It appears to be a greater difference between the 2 modes. It certainly is a lot quieter. Can barely hear it compared to the turbine running in those old Screenplays. As far as motion, I doubt it would be any better than a decent dlp machine. I was wrapping Christmas presents while the game was on so I wasn't watching every play but I wasn't bothered by any motion. Incidently because of the wrapping, I had quite a bit of light on over the seating area in the room (mr16 pot lights). Picture was bright enough and I was watching on Cinema 1""in low lamp.There is a "bright tv" preset that is noticeably brighter. So far, after very limited use, I am very happy with the upgrade. Definitely overall PQ is superior to the Infocus but then again it was 8 years between technology. I was considering a JVC as well but I did demo one and the motion during a soccer game was too much of an issue for me. When I demoed soccer on the Sony (last years HW30) it was very good. So I was comfortable purchasing the HW50 knowing the motion would be about the same but higher light output. Lastly I demoed an Epson 5020 but the panel convergence was so bad on the unit I looked at I was so turned off I cut the demo short and crossed it off my list.
Our mix is 50% bluray, 30% broadcast HDTV and 20% HDTV sports. If sports was my main content with little movie watching I probably would have seriously looked at the BenqW7000. Probably a little brighter (even after calibration), and excellent motion being DLP. Also a good $1000-1500 less street prices.
My feelings only. YMMV, I would definitely say to go demo as much as possible before you make any purchase. Cheers.
paris401's Avatar paris401 05:35 AM 12-25-2012
Quote:

Well I just came from an Infocus 7205 to this machine. My screen is a 110" stewart firehawk which has a slightly higher advertised gain. I have only put 10 hours on the projector so far. 1 hour of screen tests and calibration, 4 hours of bluray. 1 hour of 3d bluray 1 hour of HDTV and 3 hours of NFL on satellite HDTV. I watched the Giants / Ravens game late last night off of my satellite PVR. I have my Denon doing the scaling to 1080p for the satellite before it gets to the projector. Aside from watching the Giants blow their chances for the playoffs, I enjoyed the picture. I have not measured anything with a meter and won't get around to it till I do a proper calibration after 100 hours, although as I posted above, getting a very good picture with some basic calibration screen tests was very easy and very close out of the box.
Seat of the pants impression: As far as brightness I think on low lamp it is just as bright as my 7205 was. I think on high lamp it is brighter than the 7205 was on high lamp. It appears to be a greater difference between the 2 modes. It certainly is a lot quieter. Can barely hear it compared to the turbine running in those old Screenplays. As far as motion, I doubt it would be any better than a decent dlp machine. I was wrapping Christmas presents while the game was on so I wasn't watching every play but I wasn't bothered by any motion. Incidently because of the wrapping, I had quite a bit of light on over the seating area in the room (mr16 pot lights). Picture was bright enough and I was watching on Cinema 1""in low lamp.There is a "bright tv" preset that is noticeably brighter. So far, after very limited use, I am very happy with the upgrade. Definitely overall PQ is superior to the Infocus but then again it was 8 years between technology. I was considering a JVC as well but I did demo one and the motion during a soccer game was too much of an issue for me. When I demoed soccer on the Sony (last years HW30) it was very good. So I was comfortable purchasing the HW50 knowing the motion would be about the same but higher light output. Lastly I demoed an Epson 5020 but the panel convergence was so bad on the unit I looked at I was so turned off I cut the demo short and crossed it off my list.
Our mix is 50% bluray, 30% broadcast HDTV and 20% HDTV sports. If sports was my main content with little movie watching I probably would have seriously looked at the BenqW7000. Probably a little brighter (even after calibration), and excellent motion being DLP. Also a good $1000-1500 less street prices.
My feelings only. YMMV, I would definitely say to go demo as much as possible before you make any purchase. Cheers.

thanks for the update and a ho..ho..ho to ya and the family....
BartMan01's Avatar BartMan01 01:52 PM 12-26-2012
Mine just arrived from AV Science. Their double boxing worked like a charm - the sacrificial outer box looked like typical UPS carelessness but the important stuff was all safe and sound. Just did a quick setup with it on top of my old 65" RPTV (CRT) as a stand and don't see any glaring issues. Threw up the NEC pattern and focus was pretty close to perfect - everything was either very sharp or slightly soft - nothing out of focus.

Now I just need to figure out exactly where it will go, and get it permanently mounted in place.
cemo62's Avatar cemo62 02:33 PM 12-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

Mine just arrived from AV Science. Their double boxing worked like a charm - the sacrificial outer box looked like typical UPS carelessness but the important stuff was all safe and sound. Just did a quick setup with it on top of my old 65" RPTV (CRT) as a stand and don't see any glaring issues. Threw up the NEC pattern and focus was pretty close to perfect - everything was either very sharp or slightly soft - nothing out of focus.
Now I just need to figure out exactly where it will go, and get it permanently mounted in place.

do you mean image of sony is soft (a bit dull)?
BartMan01's Avatar BartMan01 04:20 PM 12-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

do you mean image of sony is soft (a bit dull)?

Not at all. The 'NEC' image is a bunch of repeated single pixel wide text ('NEC Total Display Company') in white on black, black on white, and alternating between normal and italic. The jpg is floating around in several posts on this site and I am pretty sure it is in this thread somewhere too. On my 120" screen, the text is in focus from edge to edge. As I would expect from this price range device it is not tack sharp from edge to edge. It varies between tack sharp and 'soft focus' where it is still in focus just not tack sharp at 3 inches away from the screen. From normal viewing distances the image is in sharp and clear focus from edge to edge.

I also threw up some convergence images (multi color, and black and white). Again, no visible panel convergence issues from a quick but close scan.
sarangiman's Avatar sarangiman 05:25 PM 12-27-2012
I got my spare lamp finally. Thank you AVS.

Re: the earlier talk about unplayable 3D games. I really do think this is b/c the PS3 is outputting 60Hz, and that's just too fast for these panels. Interestingly enough, in this review of a plasma TV (which should have really good pixel response times), even the plasma TV was struggling with 60Hz 3D content... switching to 48Hz greatly reduced the crosstalk:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p65vt50/4505-6482_7-35118305-2.html

Relevant paragraph:

"Watching "Hugo," my current favorite 3D torture test, the ghostly double image of crosstalk was clearly visible at 60Hz in many scenes, especially with objects in difficult sequences, like Hugo's hand as it reaches for the mouse (5:01), the tuning pegs on the guitar (7:49), and the face of the dog as it watches the inspector slide by (9:24). When I changed to 48Hz, however, the crosstalk became much dimmer and less noticeable."

Pretty sure this is why 3D gaming is nonsense on the Sony projector. OTOH, some people seem to claim 3D gaming is fine on the Epson 5020... so I'm confused. Would really like someone to try Crysis 2 from a PS3 on their Epson...
Justin Morgan's Avatar Justin Morgan 05:38 PM 12-28-2012
About a month ago I read that Sony has a fix for the 3D buzz. Has anyone received a new HW50 recently and can confirm that the 3D buzz is now gone in new units? Or do new units need to be shipped to Sony service to be fixed?

I'm thinking about ordering a HW50 to replace my 2009 JVC RS15, but would like to know whether to sell the old projector sooner (it the HW50 arrives buzz-free), or whether to keep the JVC a bit longer while Sony repairs the new HW50.

Thanks for any info!
Oven's Avatar Oven 09:14 AM 12-29-2012
I have an issue that I don't know how to fix as a first time projector owner. My screen is hung perfectly level, and the image projected onto my screen is level at the top, but the bottom right hand part of the image is about 2 inches lower than the bottom left hand part of the image. This drives me nuts as a graphic designer. I need this to be perfectly even from an OCD standpoint. Is there any way for me to correct this?
Kelvin1965S's Avatar Kelvin1965S 09:21 AM 12-29-2012
Your projector isn't square to the screen. You may need to turn the projector slightly to square it up, then use the lens shift to realign it to the screen.
tjsbuyer's Avatar tjsbuyer 09:34 AM 12-29-2012
^^^^ What he said. Go take a look at the Sony HW30 thread. Mark H just posted yesterday a very basic but good way to get an image aligned on a screen. But bottom line is it has to be square to the screen on all 3 axis. Read his post.
tjsbuyer's Avatar tjsbuyer 09:39 AM 12-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Morgan View Post

About a month ago I read that Sony has a fix for the 3D buzz. Has anyone received a new HW50 recently and can confirm that the 3D buzz is now gone in new units? Or do new units need to be shipped to Sony service to be fixed?
I'm thinking about ordering a HW50 to replace my 2009 JVC RS15, but would like to know whether to sell the old projector sooner (it the HW50 arrives buzz-free), or whether to keep the JVC a bit longer while Sony repairs the new HW50.
Thanks for any info!
I enquired about this a couple of times and couldn't get an accurate answer through this forum. I know it was to do with capacitor noise on one of the boards. Here in Canada, Sony Canada had held shipment for a few weeks till it was corrected. They started shipping again around the first week in December. I got mine about a week ago. Serial number ends in 832. I have watched 3 movies now in 3d and have zero buzz even with the sound of the movie muted and me standing under the projector and it about 6 inches above my head. I'm assuming either they fixed the issue or I got an excellent sample in this regard. Cheers, Jeff.
DIYHomeTheater's Avatar DIYHomeTheater 09:40 AM 12-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oven View Post

I have an issue that I don't know how to fix as a first time projector owner. My screen is hung perfectly level, and the image projected onto my screen is level at the top, but the bottom right hand part of the image is about 2 inches lower than the bottom left hand part of the image. This drives me nuts as a graphic designer. I need this to be perfectly even from an OCD standpoint. Is there any way for me to correct this?

The screen should be as near perfectly installed as can be in 3 dimensions (roll, pitch, yaw). Once you have that done, you should be able use the projector controls. A projector mount like the Chief RPA will also give you three degrees of control.
cbaseuser's Avatar cbaseuser 09:56 AM 12-29-2012
It may seem counter intuitive, but don't point the projector towards the screen. Literally, point the projector straight ahead. Use a level, and level the side and front, and make sure the front face of the projector is square with the wall that the screen is on. Only then, use the lens shift to put the image on the screen, because it will probably be off at that point. Geometry errors should be minimal at this point. Fine tune the squareness of the picture by slight tilting or rotating the projector and readjusting the lens shift.

If the screen is perfectly level, and the projector is perfectly level (from left to right, i.e. 'roll' I believe), you shouldn't have to touch that particular position at all.
Tags: Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop