AVS Forum banner

Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread

383K views 4K replies 444 participants last post by  dave_more 
#1 ·

Specifications and features:
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921666490151&langId=-1&XID=O

PDF marketing flyer :
http://www.donaldanthony.com/forum/VPL-HW50ES.pdf

Operating Instructions:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/VPLHW50ES.pdf

Reviews:

Projector Reviews: http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/hw50es/index.php

Cinetson: http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audiovideohd.fr%2Ftests%2F341-Sony-VPL-HW50ES-0.html

Suggested Settings for closest to D65 and REC709 picture:

Pic Viewing Mode: Reference

Cinema Black Pro (Iris): Auto limited or full

Motionflow: low

Color Temp: D65

Gamma: Off

Color Space : REC709

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/30#post_22473613

How does the HW50ES compare to your Mits 9000 with respect to brightness, colour, sharpness, shadow detail, and contrast (especially interested in low light scenes)? I am looking to replace my JVC RS1. It sounds like the Sony will be as good as or better than the RS1 in every aspect, the one possible exception being black levels. You mentioned that the Sony does not have the black levels of the RS55. I have never seen the RS55, but it surely has lower black levels than the RS1, so perhaps the Sony would be close enough to the RS1 in black levels to make any difference insignificant. Thanks.

Actually, I have the Mits side by side with the HW50. For me, the Sony is better in every aspect. The black level is about equal. (With the same lumens output). The Sony is capable of way more brightness so like every projector as you raise the lumens, the black floor will raise too...

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/30#post_22473965

Actually, I have the Mits side by side with the HW50. For me, the Sony is better in every aspect. The black level is about equal. (With the same lumens output). The Sony is capable of way more brightness so like every projector as you raise the lumens, the black floor will raise too...

In 2D if you put the Sony in low lamp mode how much of a difference in black levels are we talking in dark scenes?

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/30#post_22473982

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/30#post_22473965

In 2D if you put the Sony in low lamp mode how much of a difference in black levels are we talking in dark scenes?

Low lamp mode with dynamic iris desactivate, the Sony win by a hair.

#56 ·
 Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/30#post_22474097

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/30#post_22474011

Low lamp mode with dynamic iris desactivate, the Sony win by a hair.

How about compared to the RS45?

I dont have the RS45 right now so I will have to go from memory...

Hard to say... I will say close enough that other aspect matter more.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/30#post_22474189

I dont have the RS45 right now so I will have to go from memory...

Hard to say... I will say close enough that other aspect matter more.

Thanks Rick! Thanks for what you have provided thus far. Zombie10k should be able to do a side by side when he reaches his so we'll know for sure then but so far from everything you've said the HW50 sounds very promising.

Now the question will be how long will you be keeping this one?

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/60#post_22475218

Anyone else have received is Sony HW50?

I cant believe I am the only one

they aren't landing to US dealers until After October 20th, ours should arrive soon after. The US site has them at full MSRP on and off this week.

How is the sharpness of the HW50 (RC = OFF) vs. the Mitsubishi 9000? The 9000 was regarded as having a sharp lens as one of it's positive attributes. I'd like to know if the perceived increase in PQ is due to the RC (ie. Darbee effect) or a true increase in sharpness from last year. My RS55 is excellent in this regard, I'd like to see how it compares.

When I get the HW50, I'll publish detailed close ups of RC vs. e-shift 1 (and 2 when it's out) + Darbee. The RC looks like it could easily be overdone with certain content like the shots Art posted.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/60#post_22475218

Anyone else have received is Sony HW50?

I cant believe I am the only one

I ordered mine from AVS and I'm first on the list but I haven't heard anything yet or when they will be shipping them so I'm very envious of you, hope they get their stock in soon.

#66 ·
I got my HW50ES TODAY

First projector - still waiting for the screen to arrive...

Was so excited i wanted to at least test the image on my blank wall where the screen is going to be - so glad i opted for the projector!

I do have one BIG issue though - and perhaps this is because i'm a newbie. I purchased a SANUS universal mount (VP1), but it doesnt really fit on the Sony projector (first off the Sony has 3 holes, instead of the 4 screws for the SANUS).

I called SANUS - they didnt have any ideas.

Sony isn't being any help either.

Am i missing something or do i need to special order a certain ceiling mount for the Sony HW50es. Any advice would be appreciated!

thanks!

#67 ·
Order a Chief mount from AV Science. Either the RPA020 or the RPMA020. very inexpensive. You will need a ceiling flange and a pole of the appropriate length. Cheap flanges and poles are available at home depot. give Mike a call tomorrow morning. He will help you out and you should have the right stuff by Friday.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/60#post_22475333

they aren't landing to US dealers until After October 20th, ours should arrive soon after. The US site has them at full MSRP on and off this week.

How is the sharpness of the HW50 (RC = OFF) vs. the Mitsubishi 9000? The 9000 was regarded as having a sharp lens as one of it's positive attributes. I'd like to know if the perceived increase in PQ is due to the RC (ie. Darbee effect) or a true increase in sharpness from last year. My RS55 is excellent in this regard, I'd like to see how it compares.

When I get the HW50, I'll publish detailed close ups of RC vs. e-shift 1 (and 2 when it's out) + Darbee. The RC looks like it could easily be overdone with certain content like the shots Art posted.

Who knows what settings the RC is on. It certainly doesn't look great at the settings used in Sony's A/B picture and the added noise is quite visable. The RC on my 1000ES doesn't look like this at all, set at 20 for resolution and 30 for noise. My guess is that the RC should be turned down resolution wise and the noise slider turned up. Maybe shut it off and use a Darblet for 2D. I just don't know since I don't have a 50. Inferring a bit from Rick's posts I think it might be quite useful in 3D but a mixed bag in 2D. Once again, I am just guessing but I don't like what I see in Sony's AB picture.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/60#post_22475598

Who knows what settings the RC is on. It certainly doesn't look great at the settings used in Sony's A/B picture and the added noise is quite visable. The RC on my 1000ES doesn't look like this at all, set at 20 for resolution and 30 for noise. My guess is that the RC should be turned down resolution wise and the noise slider turned up. Maybe shut it off and use a Darblet for 2D. I just don't know since I don't have a 50. Inferring a bit from Rick's posts I think it might be quite useful in 3D but a mixed bag in 2D. Once again, I am just guessing but I don't like what I see in Sony's AB picture.

The RC sharpening may be more aggressive than than the darbee in blurred areas of the scenes. We need a close up comparison with the RC off vs. Darbee + all possible combinations to know for sure.

Until there is verification that there was a change in the optical block for increased sharpness / PQ, all indications so far seem to point to the RC as the source of the perception of increased PQ over the HW30. In other words, how is the HW30 + Darbee going to look next to the HW50 with RC given they are using the same or similar lenses?

I find the increased pixel density of e-shift can handle the Darbee better (with higher settings & less noise) than non e-shift projectors. This is likely the case as well with the VW1000's significantly higher pixel count. Have you compared the RC vs Darby, + both?

i thought this year it was only going to be another mini 3D shootout, Now it's RC vs. Eshift 2 vs. Darbee as well

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/60#post_22475843

I find the increased pixel density of e-shift can handle the Darbee better (with higher settings & less noise) than non e-shift projectors. This is likely the case as well with the VW1000's significantly higher pixel count. Have you compared the RC vs Darby, + both? i thought this year it was only going to be another mini 3D shootout, Now it's RC vs. Eshift 2 vs. Darbee as well

Loved your last comparison (Got a HW30 because of it) and suggest you stick to the original plan. Most of us don't give a damn about this artificial picture manipulation which is simply a desperate method to upsell suckers, like reverb modes on a receiver. Or even better, a loud exhaust on a Civic. Yea, it's louder.. but is it really better... NO!

#72 ·
Did you not like the Darbee with the HW30? I used it with the HW30 for a while with my 142" screen and thought it made a noticeable difference in PQ.

The close up screenshots can be taken out of context, I think the Darbee, RC and E-Shift can all have a benefit if used in moderation. The Darbee has been wildly popular even with our most critical reviewers on the site.

Sony's RC and JVC's E-shift2 will have their own following this year as well.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/60#post_22475862

Loved your last comparison (Got a HW30 because of it) and suggest you stick to the original plan. Most of us don't give a damn about this artificial picture manipulation which is simply a desperate method to upsell suckers, like reverb modes on a receiver. Or even better, a loud exhaust on a Civic. Yea, it's louder.. but is it really better... NO!

The majority would want to see RC vs eshift vs Darbee. Plus, he is gonna show comparison with everything off, like he always do.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/60#post_22475843

The RC sharpening may be more aggressive than than the darbee in blurred areas of the scenes. We need a close up comparison with the RC off vs. Darbee + all possible combinations to know for sure.

Until there is verification that there was a change in the optical block for increased sharpness / PQ, all indications so far seem to point to the RC as the source of the perception of increased PQ over the HW30. In other words, how is the HW30 + Darbee going to look next to the HW50 with RC given they are using the same or similar lenses?

I find the increased pixel density of e-shift can handle the Darbee better (with higher settings & less noise) than non e-shift projectors. This is likely the case as well with the VW1000's significantly higher pixel count. Have you compared the RC vs Darby, + both?

i thought this year it was only going to be another mini 3D shootout, Now it's RC vs. Eshift 2 vs. Darbee as well

Right now my Darbee and 1000ES are on loan to a customer and I won't get them back for another week. I pretty much leave the RC on to the factory default for reference mode and the Darblet set to around 45 or so. I find the Darblet makes less of an improvent on a true 4K projector than on a 1080p projector. The sony 1000ES throws a stunning picture with RC off and no Darblet on my 1.0 gain screen. Switching the RC on and inserting the Darblet makes it better but not drastically so. I will experiment more when I get them back.

#76 ·
Can anyone comment on the gaming lag of this projector? Is there a dedicated gaming mode that switches off all processing for faster response? Was this even an issue with the prior models HW30 etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.