Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I would imagine they're having too much fun with their units to post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $1295
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #63 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Kraine is up later this week.
We are really getting great data way earlier this year. Thanks Rick!

It is noted that projector manufactures have increased quality to weaken the threat from large flat LCD panels (speaking up is effective).
post #64 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Anyone else have received is Sony HW50?
I cant believe I am the only one eek.gif

they aren't landing to US dealers until After October 20th, ours should arrive soon after. The US site has them at full MSRP on and off this week.

How is the sharpness of the HW50 (RC = OFF) vs. the Mitsubishi 9000? The 9000 was regarded as having a sharp lens as one of it's positive attributes. I'd like to know if the perceived increase in PQ is due to the RC (ie. Darbee effect) or a true increase in sharpness from last year. My RS55 is excellent in this regard, I'd like to see how it compares.

When I get the HW50, I'll publish detailed close ups of RC vs. e-shift 1 (and 2 when it's out) + Darbee. The RC looks like it could easily be overdone with certain content like the shots Art posted.

HW50RC.jpg
post #65 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Anyone else have received is Sony HW50?
I cant believe I am the only one eek.gif

I ordered mine from AVS and I'm first on the list but I haven't heard anything yet or when they will be shipping them so I'm very envious of you, hope they get their stock in soon.
post #66 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 06:50 PM

Liked: 10
I got my HW50ES TODAY smile.gif

First projector - still waiting for the screen to arrive...

Was so excited i wanted to at least test the image on my blank wall where the screen is going to be - so glad i opted for the projector!

I do have one BIG issue though - and perhaps this is because i'm a newbie. I purchased a SANUS universal mount (VP1), but it doesnt really fit on the Sony projector (first off the Sony has 3 holes, instead of the 4 screws for the SANUS).

I called SANUS - they didnt have any ideas.

Sony isn't being any help either.

Am i missing something or do i need to special order a certain ceiling mount for the Sony HW50es. Any advice would be appreciated!

thanks!
post #67 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Order a Chief mount from AV Science. Either the RPA020 or the RPMA020. very inexpensive. You will need a ceiling flange and a pole of the appropriate length. Cheap flanges and poles are available at home depot. give Mike a call tomorrow morning. He will help you out and you should have the right stuff by Friday.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #68 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 PM

Ok - thanks - will call Mike @ AVScience tomorrow.

So there is no way to leverage the SANUS VP1 - already installed in my ceiling frown.gif

kind of a bummer
post #69 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

they aren't landing to US dealers until After October 20th, ours should arrive soon after. The US site has them at full MSRP on and off this week.
How is the sharpness of the HW50 (RC = OFF) vs. the Mitsubishi 9000? The 9000 was regarded as having a sharp lens as one of it's positive attributes. I'd like to know if the perceived increase in PQ is due to the RC (ie. Darbee effect) or a true increase in sharpness from last year. My RS55 is excellent in this regard, I'd like to see how it compares.
When I get the HW50, I'll publish detailed close ups of RC vs. e-shift 1 (and 2 when it's out) + Darbee. The RC looks like it could easily be overdone with certain content like the shots Art posted.
HW50RC.jpg

Who knows what settings the RC is on. It certainly doesn't look great at the settings used in Sony's A/B picture and the added noise is quite visable. The RC on my 1000ES doesn't look like this at all, set at 20 for resolution and 30 for noise. My guess is that the RC should be turned down resolution wise and the noise slider turned up. Maybe shut it off and use a Darblet for 2D. I just don't know since I don't have a 50. Inferring a bit from Rick's posts I think it might be quite useful in 3D but a mixed bag in 2D. Once again, I am just guessing but I don't like what I see in Sony's AB picture.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #70 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Who knows what settings the RC is on. It certainly doesn't look great at the settings used in Sony's A/B picture and the added noise is quite visable. The RC on my 1000ES doesn't look like this at all, set at 20 for resolution and 30 for noise. My guess is that the RC should be turned down resolution wise and the noise slider turned up. Maybe shut it off and use a Darblet for 2D. I just don't know since I don't have a 50. Inferring a bit from Rick's posts I think it might be quite useful in 3D but a mixed bag in 2D. Once again, I am just guessing but I don't like what I see in Sony's AB picture.

The RC sharpening may be more aggressive than than the darbee in blurred areas of the scenes. We need a close up comparison with the RC off vs. Darbee + all possible combinations to know for sure.

Until there is verification that there was a change in the optical block for increased sharpness / PQ, all indications so far seem to point to the RC as the source of the perception of increased PQ over the HW30. In other words, how is the HW30 + Darbee going to look next to the HW50 with RC given they are using the same or similar lenses?

I find the increased pixel density of e-shift can handle the Darbee better (with higher settings & less noise) than non e-shift projectors. This is likely the case as well with the VW1000's significantly higher pixel count. Have you compared the RC vs Darby, + both?

i thought this year it was only going to be another mini 3D shootout, Now it's RC vs. Eshift 2 vs. Darbee as well cool.gif
post #71 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I find the increased pixel density of e-shift can handle the Darbee better (with higher settings & less noise) than non e-shift projectors. This is likely the case as well with the VW1000's significantly higher pixel count. Have you compared the RC vs Darby, + both? i thought this year it was only going to be another mini 3D shootout, Now it's RC vs. Eshift 2 vs. Darbee as well cool.gif

Loved your last comparison (Got a HW30 because of it) and suggest you stick to the original plan. Most of us don't give a damn about this artificial picture manipulation which is simply a desperate method to upsell suckers, like reverb modes on a receiver. Or even better, a loud exhaust on a Civic. Yea, it's louder.. but is it really better... NO!
post #72 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you not like the Darbee with the HW30? I used it with the HW30 for a while with my 142" screen and thought it made a noticeable difference in PQ.

The close up screenshots can be taken out of context, I think the Darbee, RC and E-Shift can all have a benefit if used in moderation. The Darbee has been wildly popular even with our most critical reviewers on the site.

Sony's RC and JVC's E-shift2 will have their own following this year as well.
post #73 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

Loved your last comparison (Got a HW30 because of it) and suggest you stick to the original plan. Most of us don't give a damn about this artificial picture manipulation which is simply a desperate method to upsell suckers, like reverb modes on a receiver. Or even better, a loud exhaust on a Civic. Yea, it's louder.. but is it really better... NO!

The majority would want to see RC vs eshift vs Darbee. Plus, he is gonna show comparison with everything off, like he always do.
post #74 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM

I also pre ordered mine from AVS...they said towards the end of the month.
post #75 of 3515 Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The RC sharpening may be more aggressive than than the darbee in blurred areas of the scenes. We need a close up comparison with the RC off vs. Darbee + all possible combinations to know for sure.
Until there is verification that there was a change in the optical block for increased sharpness / PQ, all indications so far seem to point to the RC as the source of the perception of increased PQ over the HW30. In other words, how is the HW30 + Darbee going to look next to the HW50 with RC given they are using the same or similar lenses?
I find the increased pixel density of e-shift can handle the Darbee better (with higher settings & less noise) than non e-shift projectors. This is likely the case as well with the VW1000's significantly higher pixel count. Have you compared the RC vs Darby, + both?
i thought this year it was only going to be another mini 3D shootout, Now it's RC vs. Eshift 2 vs. Darbee as well cool.gif

Right now my Darbee and 1000ES are on loan to a customer and I won't get them back for another week. I pretty much leave the RC on to the factory default for reference mode and the Darblet set to around 45 or so. I find the Darblet makes less of an improvent on a true 4K projector than on a 1080p projector. The sony 1000ES throws a stunning picture with RC off and no Darblet on my 1.0 gain screen. Switching the RC on and inserting the Darblet makes it better but not drastically so. I will experiment more when I get them back.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #76 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Can anyone comment on the gaming lag of this projector? Is there a dedicated gaming mode that switches off all processing for faster response? Was this even an issue with the prior models HW30 etc?

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #77 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rick, are you able to achieve a sharp focus with the Sony across the entire screen? Also, how is the uniformity of the projector? Are there bright corners on a 0 IRE field or colouration on a 100 IRE field? Thanks.
post #78 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 AM

Any word yet on "Game Mode"s input lag? I just want to make sure this does in fact have the same game mode as the HW30 with the same excellent response time.
post #79 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Great. I think this is question I meant to ask! Awaiting answer from gamers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanathin View Post

Any word yet on "Game Mode"s input lag? I just want to make sure this does in fact have the same game mode as the HW30 with the same excellent response time.

post #80 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

The lag tests have to be performed in the gaming mode. A CRT monitor must be used along with a high speed shutter on an SLR and a minimum average of 10-15 samples.

I measured the HW30 last year at ~30 MS which was the best of the current models. This is likely the same or possibly better this year, we'll have to wait until someone gets a chance to test this. our HW50 won't be here till near the end of the month. I'll measure it with the same technique I used in the mini 3D shootout from last year.
post #81 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

Speak fo yourself, you don't know what you're talking about. Most here want to know about the performance of RC and it's not for "suckers".
post #82 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 AM

Another question I had in addition to game mode input lag. I have a bunch of Xpand X103's at home that I'm pretty fond of and would rather not have to give up. I know there's a bit of a workaround to get them to work with the HW30, and now that the IR emitter is built-in to the HW50, will the X103's have a harder time connecting? Also, is the IR emitter brighter than the HW30's?
post #83 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post

Rick, are you able to achieve a sharp focus with the Sony across the entire screen? Also, how is the uniformity of the projector? Are there bright corners on a 0 IRE field or colouration on a 100 IRE field? Thanks.

Good questions... And I would also like to know. I will check those 2 tonight.
post #84 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Why does the PJ have an IR emitter? Shouldn't it only receive IR signals? What exactly does/can it emit via IR and for what purpose? Thanks!

post #85 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The built in IR emitter sends the sync signals to the 3D glasses. They are IR receiving glasses. The IR signal from the projector will bounce off the screen and then be picked up by the glasses. Should one need to improve the IR transmission because of projector distance to screen, screen material effects, and the distance to the screen of the glasses mounted on the viewer, an add on external emitter can be purchased for mounting at the screen end of the room and pointed at the viewers. For this, a small cable (cat 5e or cat 6e) should be run from the projector to the external emitter. As Coldmachine use to say, hope this helps.
gnolivos likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #86 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just find my pair of 3D Monster Vision glasses.

I will try those with the HW50 to see if it can help to get rid of the last trace of ghosting...

By the way I watch Hugo 3D last night and the HW50 really do well with this movie! Thanks to the minimum ghosting and the reality creation smile.gif
post #87 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh gosh, forgot about 3D/glasses. I was thinking of IR receiver for remote control only. thanks for clarifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

The built in IR emitter sends the sync signals to the 3D glasses. They are IR receiving glasses. The IR signal from the projector will bounce off the screen and then be picked up by the glasses. should one need to improve the IT transmission because of projector distance to screen, screen material effects, and the distance to the screen of the glasses mounted on the viewer, an addition externalemitter can be purchased for mounting at the screen end of the room and pointed at the viewers. for this, a small cable (cat 5e or cat 6e) should be run from the projector to the external emitter. As Coldmachine use to say, hope this helps.

post #88 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

I just find my pair of 3D Monster Vision glasses.
I will try those with the HW50 to see if it can help to get rid of the last trace of ghosting...
By the way I watch Hugo 3D last night and the HW50 really do well with this movie! Thanks to the minimum ghosting and the reality creation smile.gif

Can you confirm whether the Dynamic Iris works in 3D.
post #89 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Can you confirm whether the Dynamic Iris works in 3D.

Art said in his review it does I believe, but his 3D knowledge and impressions are severely lacking. He still thinks that ghosting can occur from the source:rolleyes: There is exactly one reviewer who I trust for 3D and thats Zombie (and myself to a lesser extent)
post #90 of 3515 Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I agree, Zombie is the king of 3D testing. I would trust Zombie over Cine4 even when it comes to 3D, sorry Cine4 :P

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page