Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 401
the new IR emitter that AV Science is selling is the new TMR-PJ2 model. This is an update from the older version that shipped last year with the HW30. (generally required a screen mount)

This model is designed to be mounted at the projector and bouncing off the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for this Dumb question but here it goes anyway... will this projector work in my room if I mount it back 16'3" from the screen , my screen size is a 92" screen and its 16x9 diagnal???
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 401
negative, the farthest back you could mount it would be ~ 14 feet @ 92"
Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 PM

Can the Sony do a 2.35:1 ratio without an anamorphic lens? I do mot mins the bars on the sides for 16:9 it it can. If it cannot how much would an anamorphic lens cost?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 AM
opv

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k2000 View Post

Can the Sony do a 2.35:1 ratio without an anamorphic lens? I do mot mins the bars on the sides for 16:9 it it can. If it cannot how much would an anamorphic lens cost?
The sony doesn't have electric zoom/focus/shift, thus it doesn't have the lens memory feature.
You can change the aspect manually every time, if you got the patience...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by opv View Post

The sony doesn't have electric zoom/focus/shift, thus it doesn't have the lens memory feature.
You can change the aspect manually every time, if you got the patience...

This isn't always true. While it is possible to do this manually, you need to make sure the projector is placed correctly (an appropriate distance from the screen) so that there is still enough zoom left to make the image large enough to fill the entire screen. Just something to take into consideration if you really wanted to do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $1295
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1649
My Crazy Projector Journey!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 AM
opv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

This isn't always true. While it is possible to do this manually, you need to make sure the projector is placed correctly (an appropriate distance from the screen) so that there is still enough zoom left to make the image large enough to fill the entire screen. Just something to take into consideration if you really wanted to do it.
Agreed.
But I don't think that many users are actually considering this option.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 AM

Carried out a bit of experimenting with the Service menu Open/Close reg settings, and have lowered the black floor to an acceptable level though still not on par with the JVC. Even with the adjust set to 0 I still see an amount of light projecting on the screen, surely at this setting it should be near enough black?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

the new IR emitter that AV Science is selling is the new TMR-PJ2 model. This is an update from the older version that shipped last year with the HW30. (generally required a screen mount)

This model is designed to be mounted at the projector and bouncing off the screen.

I got one from AVS and it works fine. I still think Sony should provide it if you have problems. I think the internal emitter is seriously under powered or has aiming issues.
I mounted mine on the projector. It will synch from the back of the 17' room now.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satfam View Post

I got one from AVS and it works fine. I still think Sony should provide it if you have problems. I think the internal emitter is seriously under powered or has aiming issues.
I mounted mine on the projector. It will synch from the back of the 17' room now.

I agree as well, but the hassle of trying to get them to realize the error of their ways just isn't worth it over ~2% of the projector price. Unfortunately I also just got an email from avs saying they are out of stock and it will be another week or so, but I guess my single set of monster 3d glasses will tide me over until then.

It's good to hear that you are getting sync that far back as my room is only 14.5ft deep. So i'm hoping I can just slap this emitter on the underside of the projector and be done with it. Worst case I guess I run a 40-50ft cat5 cable through my attic and attach it to the top of the screen pointing down at the seats.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Do people usually mount these on the projector facing the screen or above/below the screen facing the seats?

I set the emitter on top of the projector with some two way tape to keep it from falling off. I then had my wife watch while I adjusted it. Took about 20 seconds. Synched right up.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

This should help with loosing sync with the glasses??, i got my projector last night and as long as i was sitting next to it was fine at 1.5 feet from my head ( by the way no buzz from the emitter that i could hear) but as soon as i moved to the corner of the couch i was loosing sync every few seconds, very unhappy with that.... Sony should do something to fix
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 PM

By the way, how many charging cables ship with the sony50es for the 3d glasses?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:

negative, the farthest back you could mount it would be ~ 14 feet @ 92"

How about 100" screen, what is the max you can mount, and what would be ideal??
Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post

One, at least in Europe.
buckley44 likes this.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM

Just placed my order for the HW50ES

Distributor seems to be out for the moment so it may ship next week. Here's to hoping!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gagorian View Post

One, at least in Europe.

I only received one as well in my shipment from AVS here in the US.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I believe I only received one charging cable with mine from AVS as well.

My external emitter is mounted just above my projector with just under an 18' throw onto a 119" screen. 2 movies using Sony and Xpand glasses with no sync issues now. The internal emitter is either very underpowered or is aiming towards the side where it is mounted or both.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I believe I only received one charging cable with mine from AVS as well.

My external emitter is mounted just above my projector with just under an 18' throw onto a 119" screen. 2 movies using Sony and Xpand glasses with no sync issues now. The internal emitter is either very underpowered or is aiming towards the side where it is mounted or both.
1 cable only for 2 glasses here in Canada.
I am reading about all the emitter strength/sync issues and maybe I just lucked out. I have only watched about 6 hours of 3d but no sync issues with either the glasses in the box or the cheap PS3 glasses. My projector is ceiling mounted about 2 inches from the top of the screen and 15 feet back. Screen is 110"Stewart Firehawk and seating is about 13 feet back for 28' total projector to glasses. I also have some seating that is offset to the side slightly and they still work ok there. I am certainly going to pay more attention next 3d movie we watch to see if any issues arise. I think I'll move around a lot more and try different seating positions.

I'm Jeff and I approve this message.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
My projector is shelf mounted. The included Sony glasses stayed in sync better but the internal emitter just didn't work with the Xpands at all (at least in my setup). I haven't read through the thread fully but I'm wondering if Sony possibly made a tweak to the newest units that are shipping. I just don't remember seeing complaints earlier about the internal emitter being referred to except to resolve the high pitched whine when using 3D.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How about 100" screen, what is the max you can mount, and what would be ideal??

The user's manual, available for download from Marantz' web site, has a table that has allowable distances for various screen sizes. It also gives the formula for calculating distances given screen size.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chever View Post

Carried out a bit of experimenting with the Service menu Open/Close reg settings, and have lowered the black floor to an acceptable level though still not on par with the JVC. Even with the adjust set to 0 I still see an amount of light projecting on the screen, surely at this setting it should be near enough black?

What iris mode are you using and what "adjust" is set to 0?

My JVC always projected some light as well, albeit less than a tweaked HW30. I've never played with the 50. The 95 has a good native contrast and can dip pretty dark, but even then there is always some light projecting on screen.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 PM

seems my projector is on the truck for delivery today! I will test out this 3d buzz and IR range etc. any let you guys know. This should be the most recent model as the distributor was out of stock before it got shipped.

I have a feeling that all sony did to fix the buzz sound in 3D was to go into the service menu and lower the power output to the emitter. I really hope i am wrong....
Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just hit the 500 hour mark on my HW50. Zero problems. We just finished watcching Dredd in 3d. I really liked the movie and it had some of the best audio i have ever heard in my theater.

Dolby Atmos 9.2.4 Marantz 7009 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 bluray player Jvc 4910 projector Benq 1070 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Monster HTS 5100 MK11 power conditioner
Golden Ear Triton 7 L&R &super center XL Emotiva erm 6.2 sides ert 8.3 rear s
Emotiva erd-1 front wides 4 erd-1 on ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satfam View Post

Sony sent me an emitter at no charge. Great support. Now I have a backup.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothjm View Post

I have a feeling that all sony did to fix the buzz sound in 3D was to go into the service menu and lower the power output to the emitter. I really hope i am wrong....

FWIW, when I called customer service to get my external emitter, I asked the rep about the fix and he said they actually had to replace the entire IR board.  I told him I thought it was odd that Sony wasn't fixing this for ALL early models since the HW50 is by far one of the quietest (if not THE quietest) projectors in this price range.  He was like yeah, never thought of it like that before.  I suppose somebody higher up decided that since it was so quiet that the buzz just leveled the playing field and no need to go crazy sending out emitters to people complaining about it... rolleyes.gif

Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM

for those who got the external emitter, any tips for getting a yes instead of a no? Call vs online chat etc? Mine is new but if i am experiencing any noise issues i will try to get one as well. Maybe the name of the the rep who actually agreed to send you the free emitter ?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM

ok so i got my projector, set it up.. some good and some bad...

2d is great, great picture, brightness with or without lights, all that is fine

3D however is all screwed up and maybe someone here can offer some suggestions

ghosting is OUT OF CONTROL.... i am playing a HSBS 3d movie from PC > Receiver > projector, and the resolution when i turn on 3d SBS in the projector is just junk compared to what i saw on my friends Epson 5020. On the Epson it looked clean, not like i was watching something in 520 resolution lol...

also GHOSTING, its EVERYWHERE! I close one eye, and i see that eye's frame + the constant ghosting....you guys think the unit or glasses are to blame here or what? I am taking this to my friends house after work tomorrow to try on his setup to see if the same thing happens. Please if anyone has any ideas let me know... i am going to keep testing...

btw dont let this deter anyone from buying the projector, it is really great in 2D, just need to fix 3D here or figure out if the hardware in the one i got is just bad....
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothjm View Post

ok so i got my projector, set it up.. some good and some bad...

2d is great, great picture, brightness with or without lights, all that is fine

3D however is all screwed up and maybe someone here can offer some suggestions

ghosting is OUT OF CONTROL.... i am playing a HSBS 3d movie from PC > Receiver > projector, and the resolution when i turn on 3d SBS in the projector is just junk compared to what i saw on my friends Epson 5020. On the Epson it looked clean, not like i was watching something in 520 resolution lol...

also GHOSTING, its EVERYWHERE! I close one eye, and i see that eye's frame + the constant ghosting....you guys think the unit or glasses are to blame here or what? I am taking this to my friends house after work tomorrow to try on his setup to see if the same thing happens. Please if anyone has any ideas let me know... i am going to keep testing...

btw dont let this deter anyone from buying the projector, it is really great in 2D, just need to fix 3D here or figure out if the hardware in the one i got is just bad....

Sounds like your glasses are off or out of sync if its that bad.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 AM

Liked: 11
I guess he is watching .mkv hsbs 3d movies with mpc-hc, so how TMT is going to play it any better? Maybe sony can't play properly .mkv hsbs movies?

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector