Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread
d.j.'s Avatar d.j. 05:00 PM 10-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Can you confirm whether the Dynamic Iris works in 3D.


If you ask me, it dosnt, I watch direct into the lens for a hole minut, and it didnt move at all, and I could not activate it with the remote with 3D signal on.
On the other hand, I didnt miss it. smile.gif

Maybe Rich can confirm?

Dj

RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 05:12 AM 10-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

I just find my pair of 3D Monster Vision glasses.
I will try those with the HW50 to see if it can help to get rid of the last trace of ghosting...
By the way I watch Hugo 3D last night and the HW50 really do well with this movie! Thanks to the minimum ghosting and the reality creation smile.gif

Can you confirm whether the Dynamic Iris works in 3D.

The MonsterVision work with the HW50 (like with the HW30) I did not try to tweak the setting to minimize the ghosting but I will try this morning...

For the Dynamic iris in 3D, hard to say but i think it is not activated... But yes or no, it does not matter to me because the contrast and image dynamic in 3D is just superb..
mishari84's Avatar mishari84 07:39 AM 10-10-2012
JVC claims 4k hours lamp life, how long is it for hw50es?
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 08:35 AM 10-10-2012
The sony specifications say recommended lamp replacement at between 2000 and 3000 hours. I would think 2000 hours at high lamp running, and 2000 hours at low lmp. Of course screen size, gain, number of turn ons and turn offs all enter into the equation. The Sony replacement lamps are relatively inexpensive. Lamp life should not be a problem based on last year's HW30ES projector.
fingersdlp's Avatar fingersdlp 08:47 AM 10-10-2012
I need a 2.14 throw ratio for my room setup. I have read anywhere from 2.1 to 2.18 for the HW30 and I assume the 50 will be the same. The screen calculator at P.C. has it at 2.12. Does anyone have a real measurment to know for sure? I have tried the PDF manuals and their calculations seem slightly differnt from mm to inches and I am close enough I thought I would ask.

My screen is 102.5" wide 16:9 which is a smidge under 118" diagonal. I need to put the projector 18' 3" from the screen and it appears I am a few inches long in this setup. Just in case it might work I am asking for any feedback.

Thanks

Brian
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 08:57 AM 10-10-2012
It really is close. Most mount manufacturers have an accessory whereby withh attachment to the mount, one can move the projector up to four inches in any one direction. For example, Chief has an LSB (lateral shift bracket) 100 or 101 for the RPA and RPMA mounts respectively. Although the L stands for lateral, it can be configured to move the projector forward up to 4 inches which would solve any problem you might have. The cost is cheap, about $435.
fingersdlp's Avatar fingersdlp 09:13 AM 10-10-2012
Thanks, good info but I have a wall opening at 18' and I put the projector behind that. This would also only give an inch clearance in the front so not sure about that either. This calculator has the ratio as 2.14. Maybe just wishfull thinking on my part. http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/

Also the IR emitter is not the best for my setup. Wish they had gone RF. Set at the far end of the zoom not good either. Maybe I should take the hint and look elsewhere.

Brian
HiFiFun's Avatar HiFiFun 09:46 AM 10-10-2012
Another glowing Sony VPL-HW50ES First Look:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-vpl-hw50es_Projector_review
CRGINC's Avatar CRGINC 05:46 PM 10-10-2012
Don't know why Sony reduced both the maximum throw and the zoom ratio in every projector since the VPL VW40 and 60. It's not the best for anamorphic folks. I cannot replace my VPL VW50 with any of the newer Sony products except for the 1000. The older VPL VW xx projectors all had a maximum throw of about 2.40. Most of the ones on demo in stores are at minimum throw. I just want the projector behind me as far as possible.
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 08:54 PM 10-10-2012
.02 x the screen width is less than 2 inches. If you go a little beyond longest throw, the only bad thing will be a little bit of overcan on the black screen borders that you won't see at normal viewing distances.;'
Oven's Avatar Oven 10:15 PM 10-10-2012
I intend to pick one of these up in the next two weeks. How do I know what screen is going to work best for this thing? I have no idea how to pick one out.

This is the first projector I will own. I have a dedicated media/theater room with full light control. I'm planning on putting in a 106" screen and my room is 17'11" long. Thanks for any help.
ckortane007's Avatar ckortane007 10:42 AM 10-11-2012
Anyone else NOT recieve the bonus lamp or bonus lamp offer that was supposed to ship with the product???

Dealing with Sony Customer Support has been a nightmare as they don't know how to respond to the missing item.

Current solution is return the projector and then wait for another to be available (out of stock).

Wow - not impressed with Sony at this point!
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 11:36 AM 10-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane007 View Post

Anyone else NOT recieve the bonus lamp or bonus lamp offer that was supposed to ship with the product???

Dealing with Sony Customer Support has been a nightmare as they don't know how to respond to the missing item.

Current solution is return the projector and then wait for another to be available (out of stock).

Wow - not impressed with Sony at this point!

Here in Canada, the free lamp is a mail offer. You have to fill the form included in the box.
tehotaone's Avatar tehotaone 03:46 PM 10-11-2012
Does anyone know the details on the Free Lamp offer? Is it supposed to come in the package? I am getting word from a US dealer that it does not come at the price they are retailing it for. Are there tiers for this purchase?
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 04:15 PM 10-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oven View Post

I intend to pick one of these up in the next two weeks. How do I know what screen is going to work best for this thing? I have no idea how to pick one out.
This is the first projector I will own. I have a dedicated media/theater room with full light control. I'm planning on putting in a 106" screen and my room is 17'11" long. Thanks for any help.

Sent you a PM. smile.gif

Need to know some details about your room, like dedicated light controlled or family room setup, wall and ceiling colors as in light or dark. Also need to know viewing distance. What type of screen are you looking for, fixed, manual drop down, electric or tab tension electric. Budget would also help.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 04:23 PM 10-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

It really is close. Most mount manufacturers have an accessory whereby withh attachment to the mount, one can move the projector up to four inches in any one direction. For example, Chief has an LSB (lateral shift bracket) 100 or 101 for the RPA and RPMA mounts respectively. Although the L stands for lateral, it can be configured to move the projector forward up to 4 inches which would solve any problem you might have. The cost is cheap, about $435.

Remove the "4" from Mark's price and you get the actual price. Yes it is a cheap solution. smile.gif
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 01:37 PM 10-12-2012
I have modify the first post to include a link to Kraine review and the recommanded "out of the box" settings
kraine's Avatar kraine 01:07 AM 10-13-2012
Thanks Rick and I will soon post on this thread because next week I will be more then a reviewer of the HW50ES, I will own one (in white wink.gif)
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 01:35 AM 10-13-2012
Do you like the 50es's 3D better than the 3D of the Acer 9500bd?
kraine's Avatar kraine 02:30 AM 10-13-2012
Yes without any doubt. The Acer H9500BD 3D is clean without ghostîng but the WOW this is 3D ! Effect smile.gif is much better on the new Sony.
Deja Vu's Avatar Deja Vu 06:32 AM 10-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

Yes without any doubt. The Acer H9500BD 3D is clean without ghostîng but the WOW this is 3D ! Effect smile.gif is much better on the new Sony.

I like 3D and your comments have me very interested in this projector -- do you get a commission on every sale? biggrin.gif

Last year you felt the 2D to 3D conversion on the Acer was worthwhile and worked well. Is the 2D to 3D conversion on the Sony worthwhile or just another useless added feature?

Also, will the Sony PS3 3D glasses work with this projector?

Thanks.
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 07:12 AM 10-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

Thanks Rick and I will soon post on this thread because next week I will be more then a reviewer of the HW50ES, I will own one (in white wink.gif)

Great smile.gif

Here in North America we dont have the white color option. Make sure to post some pics I am curious...
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 07:16 AM 10-13-2012
Last night I play with my HW50 biggrin.gif

I use the MonsterVision glasses instead of the Sony one. Same possiblity as of the HW30... After a couples of tweek, I was able to reduce a bit of ghosting and get a bit more light.

Also, the MonsterVision fit better over my prescription, are lighter and work RF smile.gif
Raine0's Avatar Raine0 07:43 AM 10-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Last night I play with my HW50 biggrin.gif
I use the MonsterVision glasses instead of the Sony one. Same possiblity as of the HW30... After a couples of tweek, I was able to reduce a bit of ghosting and get a bit more light.
Also, the MonsterVision fit better over my prescription, are lighter and work RF smile.gif

There was a bit of criticism with the HW30 in regards to the sbs and top/bottom 3D. I was wondering if anybody tried these 3d formats on the HW50 and how do they look? Thx!
fingersdlp's Avatar fingersdlp 07:55 AM 10-13-2012
MonsterVision with RF might be a good solution for me as well as my setup would have the projector behind a back wall. Where is the built in IR emitter on the projector? Is it near the lens? I assume the IR signal bounces off the screen and I have an older Firehawk if that mattters.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 09:43 AM 10-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp View Post

MonsterVision with RF might be a good solution for me as well as my setup would have the projector behind a back wall. Where is the built in IR emitter on the projector? Is it near the lens? I assume the IR signal bounces off the screen and I have an older Firehawk if that mattters.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

IR emitter position on the HW50:

hw50.jpg
xb1032's Avatar xb1032 12:57 PM 10-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

Yes without any doubt. The Acer H9500BD 3D is clean without ghostîng but the WOW this is 3D ! Effect smile.gif is much better on the new Sony.

How do you feel the HW50ES compares to the VW95ES and the JVC RS45/X30 in 2D? How close is the minimum luminance of a black screen in comparison on these 3 projectors?
sarangiman's Avatar sarangiman 01:27 PM 10-13-2012
I took the liberty of placing kraine's shots of the L/R 3D images on the Sony VPL-HW50ES next to the L/R 3D images on the JVC RS48/X55 from cinetson.org (audiovideo.fr). I couldn't access the L/R images for the Sony VPL-HW50ES from audiovideo.fr as their site seems down right now.

Of course, this is by no means a scientific comparison, since nothing is controlled for (brightness, glasses setting, etc.).

But it seems to me that the JVC is holding up pretty well in terms of ghosting in this pattern:



Full-size image here: http://cl.ly/K9gB/JVC_vs_Sony-3DGhosting.jpg

Of course if the Sony image is much brighter than the JVC (as kraine is claiming, I believe), then this is an unfair (for the Sony) comparison.
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 01:42 PM 10-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarangiman View Post

I took the liberty of placing kraine's shots of the L/R 3D images on the Sony VPL-HW50ES next to the L/R 3D images on the JVC RS48/X55 from cinetson.org (audiovideo.fr). I couldn't access the L/R images for the Sony VPL-HW50ES from audiovideo.fr as their site seems down right now.

Of course, this is by no means a scientific comparison, since nothing is controlled for (brightness, glasses setting, etc.).

But it seems to me that the JVC is holding up pretty well in terms of ghosting in this pattern:



Full-size image here: http://cl.ly/K9gB/JVC_vs_Sony-3DGhosting.jpg

Of course if the Sony image is much brighter than the JVC (as kraine is claiming, I believe), then this is an unfair (for the Sony) comparison.

I am no moderator but could you please post that in the other Sony HW50 thread...

This is the official owner thread. If possible will try to keep the JVC vs Sony to a minimum here... Because when it start, it never end... (Both side)
Clark Burk's Avatar Clark Burk 02:51 PM 10-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

Thanks Rick and I will soon post on this thread because next week I will be more then a reviewer of the HW50ES, I will own one (in white wink.gif)

When a reviewer ends up buying the piece that they have reviewed that is a very positive statement. Thanks for the review.
Tags: Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop