Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1441 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
First off want to thank everyone for the valuable posts and recommendations on this board. Thanks to the past 49 pages of posts I ordered an hw50es from AVS for my first home theater (under construction this week!). Appreciate the reviews and insights.
My next project is to find a screen: I am a rookie at this and wondering if anyone has a moderately priced screen (ideally under $1k) that they would recommend. Not looking for anything huge--92" diagonal, fixed frame, in a room with no ambient light (basement). Seating will be 10-14 feet from screen.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated--thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I doubt their entry model will ever get motorized lens shift. Helps keep the cost down and since most people use 16:9 screens, this makes the most sense.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1443 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInCuse View Post

Hello,
First off want to thank everyone for the valuable posts and recommendations on this board. Thanks to the past 49 pages of posts I ordered an hw50es from AVS for my first home theater (under construction this week!). Appreciate the reviews and insights.
My next project is to find a screen: I am a rookie at this and wondering if anyone has a moderately priced screen (ideally under $1k) that they would recommend. Not looking for anything huge--92" diagonal, fixed frame, in a room with no ambient light (basement). Seating will be 10-14 feet from screen.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated--thanks!

to be honest, at that distance, i think 92 will be too small....then again this is coming from a guy who is currently watching on 111in wall projection, at about 6-8 feet away smile.gif
post #1444 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothjm View Post

to be honest, at that distance, i think 92 will be too small....then again this is coming from a guy who is currently watching on 111in wall projection, at about 6-8 feet away smile.gif

what do you think about 120inch from 14 feet?
post #1445 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi,

I currently have a JVC X3 (RS40) and I am worried about the continued lamp issues that everyone is complaining about so I may sell the X3 and buy the Sony hw50es. Has anyone here come from a JVC to the 50es and if so can you share your thoughts on the change?

Thanks,
post #1446 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM

Completely agree on HDMI cable quality positing. Being digital it should either work or not. There are no shades between 0 and 1.

A question that I do have though and can't find any answer on is the version of HDMI that is required with this projector. Can anyone tell me if 1.4 is ample or if 1.4a is required?
post #1447 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

Quote:

Well, I'm at 126" diagonal and 14'...I was worried it would be too big but after a couple months I'm wishing I could've gone larger! The best advice I got was to get as large of a screen as will fit on your wall!
post #1448 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:

my buddy does 119 from i would say around 10-13 feet.. and personally i think that looks very good.
post #1449 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

Well, I'm at 126" diagonal and 14'...I was worried it would be too big but after a couple months I'm wishing I could've gone larger! The best advice I got was to get as large of a screen as will fit on your wall!

i think that size and distance should be just fine.... anymore and you may start to notice any imperfections in the picture lol

111in at 6ish feet is basically approaching that too close thing im talking about lol so i move back to about 8 and im good.
post #1450 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 PM

thank you brothers i have 2 choices and am stuck: 120inches and 135 inches (we dont have 126 in turkey) and seating distance 14 maybe 15 feet
post #1451 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Guys,

Random question,

My lens is starting to get extremely dusty, what would be the best way to clean it, and with what solution and material to wipe it with ?

Best to not touch the lens unless you have no other choice. You will likely add small scratches every time your clean.

Use one of these and just blow the worst of it off. Don't touch the lens and don't use any of those canned air solutions.
http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-Large/dp/B00017LSPI
post #1452 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

Best to not touch the lens unless you have no other choice. You will likely add small scratches every time your clean.

Use one of these and just blow the worst of it off. Don't touch the lens and don't use any of those canned air solutions.
http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-Large/dp/B00017LSPI

thanks Bart...

anyone else have any comments on this? I have one of those screen cleaning clothes that is EXTREMELY SOFT and used that, i didnt end up scratching anything, but i have a heavy duty air blower as well that i might try from far back to not irritate the lens.
post #1453 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Pe
Quote:

thank you brothers i have 2 choices and am stuck: 120inches and 135 inches (we dont have 126 in turkey) and seating distance 14 maybe 15 feet

Personally, I'd go 135" if it fits. Especially if you have some flexibility with the seating (i.e. 14 vs 15ft).
post #1454 of 3444 Old 03-03-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

thanks Bart...

anyone else have any comments on this? I have one of those screen cleaning clothes that is EXTREMELY SOFT and used that, i didnt end up scratching anything, but i have a heavy duty air blower as well that i might try from far back to not irritate the lens.
I tried to use a special lens cleaning cloth that I use on my Nikon lenses and ended up with a very small scratch. There must be a coating on the lens and I've used this cloth with my camera lenses without issue for years. Thankfully it doesn't show up anywhere, and I've noticed the dust doesn't either. Going forward, if I need to clean the lens, I'll be using the blow method.

BTW - Has anyone put a clear lens filter on this PJ? What size?

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #1455 of 3444 Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I've never had to clean my lens with any of the projectors I have owned. Did it look dirty?

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #1456 of 3444 Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I only use canned air to blow off any dust.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1457 of 3444 Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

Hi,

I currently have a JVC X3 (RS40) and I am worried about the continued lamp issues that everyone is complaining about so I may sell the X3 and buy the Sony hw50es. Has anyone here come from a JVC to the 50es and if so can you share your thoughts on the change?

Thanks,

Coming from an RS45:

- Black levels are better on the JVC. Contrast is better as well. The black floor is better and scenes such as starfields will have deeper blacks on the JVC.
- I use FI and the FI is smoother with less artifacts than the JVC.
- With RC in it's minimum settings the picture is sharper and cleaner than on my RS45.
- Out of the box color accuracy to my eyes looks better on the Sony. I'm definitely no expect in this area.
- The picture is noticeably brighter.
- 3D = no comparison. Much brighter on the Sony, FI is active in 3D and motion looks MUCH smoother because of this. Far less ghosting but the Sony isn't ghost free.

Just my quick 2 cents.
post #1458 of 3444 Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Coming from an RS45:

- Black levels are better on the JVC. Contrast is better as well. The black floor is better and scenes such as starfields will have deeper blacks on the JVC.

Just my quick 2 cents.

I think that depends on the room right? I mean this is from Art on the RS46 and Sony HW50ES. To my eyes the Sony looks better and has the better blacks in this star-field... Not sure if we can clearly call one better than the other...? I now pictures don't tell the whole story and settings and conditions might be different, but Art has seen both....

"Here we again start, with the DLA-X35, followed by the Sony VPL-HW50ES. The Sony on this image has the slight advantage in blacks. Observe the pause icon, from that you can see the X35's pause is a bit more "blown out" indicating that the X35's image is a touch more overexposed. That's enough to make up for most of the difference, although, overall, I'll give the Sony VPL-HW50ES the advantage. Although the Sony seems to have more pop, note also that there seems to be more range of brightness in the stars. Some of that extra pop seems, therefore to be a bit gamma difference related."

post #1459 of 3444 Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM

Sony looks better IMO
post #1460 of 3444 Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Coming from an RS45:

- I use FI and the FI is smoother with less artifacts than the JVC.
- With RC in it's minimum settings the picture is sharper and cleaner than on my RS45.
- Out of the box color accuracy to my eyes looks better on the Sony. I'm definitely no expect in this area.
- The picture is noticeably brighter.
- 3D = no comparison. Much brighter on the Sony, FI is active in 3D and motion looks MUCH smoother because of this. Far less ghosting but the Sony isn't ghost free.

Just my quick 2 cents.

Trust xb1032 on this one,

I demoed the JVC RS40 in my house and the black levels are indeed better on the JVC, especially the black floor. A very good example of this is the US version of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. The first 3 minutes of this movie (01:00 - 03:18) is a great test to see just how good or bad your blacks are. The RS40 handled this scene very well. Blacks looked black and I was extremely impressed, the Sony however looked medium grey in comparison. Don't get me wrong, the Sony is no slouch in terms of black levels, it does great with other scenes and is among the best I've seen. It's weakness is very dark scenes with hardly any light. This is when you will truly see the benefits of a JVC. As far as contrast, I would say the Sony is just as good as the RS40, maybe slightly better.

But with that said I prefer the overall performance of the Sony. Its has much better colors out the box, excellent contrast and pop, excellent motion, very sharp with RC, very bright (over 1100 calibrated lumens), much better 3D, etc.

In the end, if you have a theater that will truly accommodate the JVC (complete light control, black velvet walls and ceiling, can make pitch black) and can turn down the IRIS to lowest setting, you will truly see the benefits of the JVC and be amazed by it's black levels.
post #1461 of 3444 Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Liked: 18
Hi HW50es owners. Can you tell me how the xtalk/ghost of the HW50 compare to a series 6 or higher 3D plasma TV?

Thanks biggrin.gif
post #1462 of 3444 Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

I think that depends on the room right? I mean this is from Art on the RS46 and Sony HW50ES. To my eyes the Sony looks better and has the better blacks in this star-field... Not sure if we can clearly call one better than the other...? I now pictures don't tell the whole story and settings and conditions might be different, but Art has seen both....

Those photos should not be used to compare the black level performance of these projectors. The only way to properly evaluate the black level performance is to have each projector in an A/B stack, properly calibrated and light output equalized.

In a light controlled and more importantly, light treated room (ie. black floor / ceiling), the majority of folks here would know which projector is which in my HT setup. The 5020 / HW50 cannot reach the same black floor as the JVC's. They are both impressive though for non LCOS and definitely several steps above the Panasonic 8000.
post #1463 of 3444 Old 03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Those photos should not be used to compare the black level performance of these projectors. The only way to properly evaluate the black level performance is to have each projector in an A/B stack, properly calibrated and light output equalized.

In a light controlled and more importantly, light treated room (ie. black floor / ceiling), the majority of folks here would know which projector is which in my HT setup. The 5020 / HW50 cannot reach the same black floor as the JVC's. They are both impressive though for non LCOS and definitely several steps above the Panasonic 8000.

I totally understand, but from what I have seen the people who truly have a dedicated light controlled blacked out room are few and far between. So at the end of the day if you room is not optimal to provide you with the benefit of the JVC blacks, then you should look at other features to help make your decision.

I guess my question is this... Say I am looking for a new projector the JVC 46 and Sony 50, and I don't have the benefit of a blacked out room. Would you still recommend the JVC based on better blacks, or would you say that I would not see the benefit of that extra black in my room? I only bring it up as I see people recommend the JVC based on black level alone, but yet the room it's going into is not optimal to get the benefit of those blacker blacks...

What it boils down to for me is, if the projector is going into a neutral room, lets say not blacked out and just your general medial room, I would step back from asking what projector provides the blackest blacks and move on to what projector bests fits my room.
post #1464 of 3444 Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

"Here we again start, with the DLA-X35, followed by the Sony VPL-HW50ES. The Sony on this image has the slight advantage in blacks. Observe the pause icon, from that you can see the X35's pause is a bit more "blown out" indicating that the X35's image is a touch more overexposed. That's enough to make up for most of the difference, although, overall, I'll give the Sony VPL-HW50ES the advantage. Although the Sony seems to have more pop, note also that there seems to be more range of brightness in the stars. Some of that extra pop seems, therefore to be a bit gamma difference related."

I can't comment on how much of a difference the room affects the image. I have a light controlled room with low ceilings with a dark decor (the carpet is light beige though).

IMO the Sony is better in every other category with the exception of black levels. Had I know the difference in black level before I purchased the Sony I probably wouldn't have purchased it over a JVC because of how picky I am with black levels. Thankfully though I didn't know this going in as even though I miss the better black levels of the JVC everything else is better to my eyes. If you aren't ultra picky with black levels I'd get the Sony. Even if you are that picky I would still consider the JVC as I'm glad I made the switch. This is a great projector IMO and personally I'd take it over the JVC. If I did get another JVC now it would be more costly as I'd have to have the e-shift now (which I wouldn't have spent the money on before) which would make the HW50 an ever better deal over the JVC.
post #1465 of 3444 Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:

I totally understand, but from what I have seen the people who truly have a dedicated light controlled blacked out room are few and far between. So at the end of the day if you room is not optimal to provide you with the benefit of the JVC blacks, then you should look at other features to help make your decision.

I guess my question is this... Say I am looking for a new projector the JVC 46 and Sony 50, and I don't have the benefit of a blacked out room. Would you still recommend the JVC based on better blacks, or would you say that I would not see the benefit of that extra black in my room? I only bring it up as I see people recommend the JVC based on black level alone, but yet the room it's going into is not optimal to get the benefit of those blacker blacks...

What it boils down to for me is, if the projector is going into a neutral room, lets say not blacked out and just your general medial room, I would step back from asking what projector provides the blackest blacks and move on to what projector bests fits my room.

Before I blacked out my room recently, it was more difficult to see the differences between the JVC and other models. I agree with all your points above, the sum of the parts have to be looked at for the specific need of a room. The Sony can crank out over 1000 lumens in calibrated mode which is very good. 3D has an edge on the JVC's as well. Lamps are the cheapest of the current models, best gaming lag time, etc.

all that said, I'm still a big fan of what the JVC's do best.. they kill with my dark movies now that the room is a pit and all I see is the screen. I also prefer the e-shift 1 vs. the RC, but that's a different topic.
post #1466 of 3444 Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I've never had to clean my lens with any of the projectors I have owned. Did it look dirty?

There is a large accumulation of dust on the outter lens and now i noticed on the inner lenses there is also some dust, how the hell did it get in there and should i be concerned with that blurring up my overall picture?

also how do i get that out of the inner lens or should i even bother ?
post #1467 of 3444 Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Don't use only "JVC" for comparisons, all models don't have same black level apparently, projectors reviews said that x35 < 950 for example (hw50 vs x35 : "Here we again start, with the DLA-X35, followed by the Sony VPL-HW50ES. The Sony on this image has the slight advantage in blacks. Observe the pause icon, from that you can see the X35's pause is a bit more "blown out" indicating that the X35's image is a touch more overexposed. That's enough to make up for most of the difference, although, overall, I'll give the Sony VPL-HW50ES the advantage. Although the Sony seems to have more pop, note also that there seems to be more range of brightness in the stars. Some of that extra pop seems, therefore to be a bit gamma difference related.")
post #1468 of 3444 Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Same here. I have never had to clean a projector lens and none of my projectors have a covered lens. I have a Marantz that has sat in the same spot for several years and it has never been cleaned. The lens still looks clean. I have a lens cleaning kit, but have never used it.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1469 of 3444 Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

Hi,

Thanks,

I had an RS35 for a couple of years and loved it for the black levels. With teenagers in the house I wanted 3D and more light output. I expected the Sony to be less capable in that respect but have been very pleased. In fact, the out of the box 50ES looks better to me than the RS ever did but then, I am not a super critical videophile wink.gif. At the price I paid through AV Science Sales, with the extra lamp and a pair of 3D glasses included (although the glasses have issues) it is a no-brainer purchase IMHO.

BTW, I have been working with AVS and Sony on getting replacement glasses. The current model included glasses (TDG-PJ1) is apparently discontinued and there will be a new model introduced soon. In the meantime, only the Sony PS3 glasses will work with the ES projectors (don't know about 3rd party brands). Luckily the PS3 glasses work great and are inexpensive ($20). Good news since I needed 7 pairs. smile.gif
post #1470 of 3444 Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM

I agree that you could probably use a bigger screen. The HW50 is a bright projector. Mine is hung about 12 feet from a 106" diagonal screen. The screen is a Carada "Brilliant White" which is a 1.4 gain. On some 2D and at low bulb power it tis almost too bright. I would suggest first that you consider something between 100 and 113, or more if possible.

I am very pleased with the Carada product. I have used this screen with both a Sony vpl-vw50 (ie the Pearl) and now the new HW50es. It is a fixed frame with the black velvet frame cover. It is very reasonably priced for the quality. The slightly higher gain (a neutral gain is 1) helps on 3D content. .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page