post #1621 of 3472 Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K View Post

Hello all you lucky HW50 Owners . I'm looking to upgrade to this PJ fairly soon but I have a concern I haven't found answered in this
Thread yet . I would like to do the "Zoom" method for 2.35:1 but I'm worried how black the black bars will be when they're zoomed off
the main screen . I have black cloth walls behind my screen which also has a black border .

Would someone be willing to throw a 2.35:1 movie up in a 16:9 frame and then hold your hand in the light path for the black bars ?
Does your hand shadow appear darker than the black bars or can you not see the shadow of your hand ? (This would be good)
I'll assume you've all set up the Black and White levels already or even Calibrated the picture .

Also , while I'm here , is anyone using the Sony ImageDirector Software ?

Thanks in advance ,

Scott.................smile.gif

I have a darkened room but I do have a Dalite HP screen and for reference I can see my hand fairly easily. For comparison, It's just as easy to see the black barks on my RS45 as well but the JVC's black bars are slightly darker. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 3472 Old 04-04-2013, 06:56 AM

Liked: 10
Slightly darker probably because you have a darkened room + high gain screen...(with 1.0 gain + long throw, or if you don't have a dedicated room, it's a tie with rs46...)

scott is talking about black bars zoomed off the screen, i don't understand if he is using a 2.35 screen, or 16/9 ? and what is the "zoom method" exactly ?
post #1623 of 3472 Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:"I'm doing this right now and have black velvet outside of my screen. With the lights off, can't even tell there are bars. Will try to grab some pics next time I fire it up."

Thanks blipszyc , that's encouraging ! Love to see some pics when you get a chance . smile.gif

Quote:"I have a darkened room but I do have a Dalite HP screen and for reference I can see my hand fairly easily. For comparison, It's just as easy to see the black barks on my RS45 as well but the JVC's black bars are slightly darker. Hope that helps."

Thanks also xb1032 . Not so encouraging . Are you doing the Zoom Method or using an A-Lens for Scope Films ?confused.gif

Quote:"scott is talking about black bars zoomed off the screen, i don't understand if he is using a 2.35 screen, or 16/9 ? and what is the "zoom method" exactly ?"

Yes , I have a 2.35:1 Scope Screen and have been using a very early Model of a Prismasonic A-Lens . I won't know if the A-Lens will work in front of the Sony until I pair the two together so I'm trying to find out if the Zoom Method will work as a backup . I think it should , depending on how black the black bars are when they're zoomed onto the trim .

Thanks for all the replies .

Scott....................biggrin.gif

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #1624 of 3472 Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
If someone has the Sony s790 bluray player, can they compare the sharpening to the RC of the Sony hw50 and see how close the two are?
Some are claiming the s790 is VERY close to the same algorithm as the RC in the hw50.

"Thats because they dont call it reality creation on the s790. Its hidden in the custom picture setting 1 and 2. Its like reality creation, in 2 parts, First called texture remapping, and the second slider is called super resolution. I compared it to the RC on my sony HW50es projector and it does more or less the same thing. Makes cheap projectors such as the HD33 and W1070 a LOT better especially in 3D mode."

If someone can try the above, much appreciated. Otherwise, if someone is shopping for a new Bluray player, I can safely say that Sony's make good ones anyhow and the s790 might be a good choice. I've had LG's and Samsungs in the past constantly breaking and not reading disks well even with TINY scratches, whereas never had the issue with the Sonys.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #1625 of 3472 Old 04-04-2013, 02:18 PM

I just ordered an HW50ES and am super excited! It's my first projector and I can't wait! Any suggestions for setting it up? Anything in particular I should be wary of or change in the settings to start? My room is dark but I don't have complete light control (white ceiling) and will be using a 100" SI screen in Lunar Gray sitting 10' from the screen. Great stuff here in the owners thread! Thanks for helping me choose this projector with all of your stories and pictures.
post #1626 of 3472 Old 04-04-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
^^^^Turn off film mode!
post #1627 of 3472 Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam74Gibson View Post

Maybe one of you can answer a simple question that I cannot seem to find anywhere.. What is the distance between the feet? I will be shelf mounting mine when I get it and want to see what the minimum would be for a surface to set it on.

Thanks

I too would like a Drawing of the VW50 for the exact same reason . I will be shelf mounting mine and there is nothing in the Manual , in any language , that shows this .
The JVC Manuals have this kind of detail but I've spent an hour with Google to no avail . Strange this isn't somewhere .

If anyone has access to a Drawing , please post it .

Scott..........

post #1628 of 3472 Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 PM

Hey Scott
If you are talking about the adjustable feet on the bottom of the projector I measured it at
10 1/8 inches from outermost edge to outermost edge , or 9 3/8 center to center
Let me know if I can measure anything else for u
post #1629 of 3472 Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoooo View Post

Hey Scott
If you are talking about the adjustable feet on the bottom of the projector I measured it at
10 1/8 inches from outermost edge to outermost edge , or 9 3/8 center to center
Let me know if I can measure anything else for u

Excellent , thanks for doing this . I'm looking to shelf mount the PJ and was looking at something like this...

http://www.solutions-stores.ca/ecommerce/control/product/~category_id=030003001004/~product_id=SB003

The shelves are adjustable , wire mesh for ventilation , black finish and very stable actually . price isn't too bad .
To keep the PJ more stable all I have to do is add specific support for where the feet will sit . Easy !

Scott.............smile.gif

post #1630 of 3472 Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM

Liked: 15
This is what I use and it's a much cheaper option. Works great with my setup.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202520616?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=shelf&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202858079&N=5yc1v&R=202520616#.UV78oqI4tDQ
post #1631 of 3472 Old 04-05-2013, 11:10 AM

Hi,
English is not my native language so please forgive mistakes.

I bought the sony hw50es a few weeks ago,
I am looking for a screen for my "family room" (ambient light),
What screen gain would you recommend?

diagonal screen: 110" (16:9)
throw distance: 420cm (13.9 ft)
40% video games, 40% watching 3D movies, 20% watching 2D movies or TV

Can you help me?
Thank you very much
Mariano
post #1632 of 3472 Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post

Hi,
English is not my native language so please forgive mistakes.

I bought the sony hw50es a few weeks ago,
I am looking for a screen for my "family room" (ambient light),
What screen gain would you recommend?

diagonal screen: 110" (16:9)
throw distance: 420cm (13.9 ft)
40% video games, 40% watching 3D movies, 20% watching 2D movies or TV

Can you help me?
Thank you very much
Mariano

You would be fine with a 1.0 gain screen at that throw distance and screen size. The Sony is very bright. Something like a 1.4 gain screen should give you plenty of brightness. IF you want ultra brightness and you can shelf mount the projector get yourself a HP screen from Da-Lite.
post #1633 of 3472 Old 04-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaowner View Post

You would be fine with a 1.0 gain screen at that throw distance and screen size. The Sony is very bright. Something like a 1.4 gain screen should give you plenty of brightness. IF you want ultra brightness and you can shelf mount the projector get yourself a HP screen from Da-Lite.

Infact, I'm undecided between 1.0 and 1.2.
Thanks!
Ciao
post #1634 of 3472 Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post

Infact, I'm undecided between 1.0 and 1.2.
Thanks!
Ciao
In a room with ambient light, I would go with a 1.2 gain screen. While the HW50 is super bright already, age of the bulb will reduce that. Also, I believe it's better to adjust brightness down, if needed, rather than up.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #1635 of 3472 Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

In a room with ambient light, I would go with a 1.2 gain screen. While the HW50 is super bright already, age of the bulb will reduce that. Also, I believe it's better to adjust brightness down, if needed, rather than up.

After how many hours the lamp will reduce its brightness?
Now I am very undecided: some say 1.0, others 1.2.
post #1636 of 3472 Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaowner View Post

This is what I use and it's a much cheaper option. Works great with my setup.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202520616?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=shelf&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202858079&N=5yc1v&R=202520616#.UV78oqI4tDQ

I guess my shelf will be a little different than you guys :-) I am getting a custom piece of glass cut so it looks like the statue is just holding the projector ( a little glass may show)... I will be setting the table on a slab of Granite for stability...

http://iam74gibson.smugmug.com/Other/Camera-Awesome-Photos/i-GdHxQsS/0/XL/CA_04061314385239-XL.jpg

The table can hold 40 lbs. This glass on it now is about 20x20

I am doing the new theater in a Dragon theme.

Cheers
post #1637 of 3472 Old 04-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

^^^^Turn off film mode!

It's apparently turned off when you buy it now...mine was.

Some questions :

- Guys, do you see any changes when you move contrast enhancer from low to high ? I can't see anything (and just a little thing from off to low, is it normal ?
- are you using sharpness (default is minimum) ?

Thank you.
post #1638 of 3472 Old 04-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked: 18
I am just about to pull the trigger on a Sony HW50 and have two questions prior to doing so:

1-Pricing:
I would like to purchase this projector in Canada given that once you add in currency conversion, exchange rate, duty, taxes, cost of day trip, and have to have warranty work completed in the US, there is no incentive to purchase in the States. Is there any particular authorized Canadian retailer that you suggest I check out or anyone with pj upgraditis that is looking to sell? Pricing seems to be quite high at quebecacoustics and options for online Sony retailers in Canada appear to be very limited. Anything local is not competitive.

2-Blacks:
My only reason for purchasing this projector is to get rid of that washed out, flat, and gray look to very dark scenes that I have with my optoma hd8600, while still being able to game with it and enjoy sports on it. Will I continue to cringe every time a dimly lit, mostly black scene appears with this projector? I know it's not a jvc, but it needs to be a large step ahead of my optoma to make this upgrade worthwhile. The 'pro' reviewers seem to be very positive about the black level performance on the hw50 but I've read a few posts that sort of sound like this 'jvc kills the sony in black levels' or 'the blacks aren't great on the sony... but everything else is good'

Note that I will be at furthest throw possible on a 1.0 gain screen in a black velvet theater. I'm hoping the long throw helps with contrast and lowers that black floor even a bit further. Note also that there are no opportunities within any sort of reasonable distance for me to check this unit out in person, but oh how I wish there were.

Thanks.
post #1639 of 3472 Old 04-07-2013, 01:47 PM
KDH

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12 View Post

I am just about to pull the trigger on a Sony HW50 and have two questions prior to doing so:

1-Pricing:
I would like to purchase this projector in Canada given that once you add in currency conversion, exchange rate, duty, taxes, cost of day trip, and have to have warranty work completed in the US, there is no incentive to purchase in the States. Is there any particular authorized Canadian retailer that you suggest I check out or anyone with pj upgraditis that is looking to sell? Pricing seems to be quite high at quebecacoustics and options for online Sony retailers in Canada appear to be very limited. Anything local is not competitive.

2-Blacks:
My only reason for purchasing this projector is to get rid of that washed out, flat, and gray look to very dark scenes that I have with my optoma hd8600, while still being able to game with it and enjoy sports on it. Will I continue to cringe every time a dimly lit, mostly black scene appears with this projector? I know it's not a jvc, but it needs to be a large step ahead of my optoma to make this upgrade worthwhile. The 'pro' reviewers seem to be very positive about the black level performance on the hw50 but I've read a few posts that sort of sound like this 'jvc kills the sony in black levels' or 'the blacks aren't great on the sony... but everything else is good'

Note that I will be at furthest throw possible on a 1.0 gain screen in a black velvet theater. I'm hoping the long throw helps with contrast and lowers that black floor even a bit further. Note also that there are no opportunities within any sort of reasonable distance for me to check this unit out in person, but oh how I wish there were.

Thanks.

The blacks are great for me even a white screen and white walls. ON DARK secns blacks were very good.White screen white walls bright scens washed out and foggy at times. Black Diamond 1.4 wite walls and fantasic blacks, and pop bright or dim never any foggy look at all.
post #1640 of 3472 Old 04-07-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12 View Post

1-Pricing:

2-Blacks:

Thanks.

Sent you a PM.........

Scott.biggrin.gif

post #1641 of 3472 Old 04-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Where are you guys ordering from? Looks like every reputable dealer in the US has stopped carrying this model including the Sony Store.
post #1642 of 3472 Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Where are you guys ordering from? Looks like every reputable dealer in the US has stopped carrying this model including the Sony Store.

That's news to me. Give us a call ! We have them !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1643 of 3472 Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 AM

Can anyone suggest what 3d glasses they have been using with this projector, other than the sonys that it came with???
post #1644 of 3472 Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can anyone suggest what 3d glasses they have been using with this projector, other than the sonys that it came with???
MonsterVision 3D. You don't have to worry about line of sight or IR synching issues, and you can tweak the shutter settings for better performance IMO.
post #1645 of 3472 Old 04-09-2013, 02:13 AM

Liked: 14
The hw50 doesn't come with any 3d glasses here in nz. I'm going to get seven pairs of glasses eventually. So . . . The cheap ps3 ones or monstervision? Are the monster visions worth the 3x greater cost? Is the sync with the Sony glasses really that bad? People with experience please help.
post #1646 of 3472 Old 04-09-2013, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

The hw50 doesn't come with any 3d glasses here in nz. I'm going to get seven pairs of glasses eventually. So . . . The cheap ps3 ones or monstervision? Are the monster visions worth the 3x greater cost? Is the sync with the Sony glasses really that bad? People with experience please help.

If you get the external emitter the sync issue goes away, i have not had any problems since i have been using it.This is with using the Sony glasses.
If you go with all monster vision 3d glasses it comes with an emitter so the sync issue will not be an issue. I actually use both glasses with my Sony 50es.I am thinking about some extra ps3 glasses for my guest,maybe i'll buy one pair and check them out.
post #1647 of 3472 Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 AM

Has anyone tried the new Xpand Lite glasses?
post #1648 of 3472 Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM

Buckley
Are there different emitters depending upon which projector you have, or are they all the same?
also, are you able to use the MV3D glasses and the sony glasses at the same time?
post #1649 of 3472 Old 04-10-2013, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Buckley
Are there different emitters depending upon which projector you have, or are they all the same?
also, are you able to use the MV3D glasses and the sony glasses at the same time?

Yes i use the Sony glasses and the Monster glasses together, and they work fine. The Monster glasses come with their own emitter and you can change the delay and brightness on them which can help with any ghosting you may be seeing.The monster emitter will do nothing to the Sony glasses, it only works with my monster glasses.Yes there are different emitter depending on which projector you have,My dealer sent me one previously that did not work with the sony50, and then he sent me the TMR-PJ2 which works fine with my Sony 50.
post #1650 of 3472 Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post

Quote:

Buckley

Yes i use the Sony glasses and the Monster glasses together, and they work fine. The Monster glasses come with their own emitter and you can change the delay and brightness on them which can help with any ghosting you may be seeing.The monster emitter will do nothing to the Sony glasses, it only works with my monster glasses.Yes there are different emitter depending on which projector you have,My dealer sent me one previously that did not work with the sony50, and then he sent me the TMR-PJ2 which works fine with my Sony 50.

So the TMR-PJ2 emitter plugs directly into the projector and the Monster emitter needs it's own power source, correct?

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page