1Likes

post #1711 of 3445 Old 04-27-2013, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

Do you have the external emitter placed at/on the projector? Is it bouncing IR off the screen? Or do you have a long cable run and have it facing the glasses/seating?

I mounted the emitter just slightly in front of the project, which is ceiling mounted. The IR is bouncing off the screen just fine even in the back of the room. The external emitter does come with short CAT5(?) cable.

I agree with xb1032 there is a design flaw of the built in transmitter. I bought mine in March and neither AVS nor Sony was willing to do anything for me. Three phone calls and an email to Sony and they told me to buy an emitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 3445 Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 PM

Liked: 12
I have the emitter sitting on top of my ceiling mounted projector. It is reflecting off the screen. Like others the internal emitter lost synch easily. I got one free from Sony.
post #1713 of 3445 Old 04-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van8888 View Post

I can confirm that TMR-PJ2 is the correct external emitter for the 50ES. I can also confirm the PS3 glasses work with the external emitter but can't say whether the they will work with the internal emitter or not. I was not able to sync the original 3D glasses with the built in transmitter (ceiling mounted). Once I plugged in the external one, I can walk around the room with no issue. As far as the PS3 glasses, they are lighter than the original but smaller so you may have issue wearing them over your prescription glasses. I haven't done any extensive view with the PS3 glasses but they seem to be as good as the original one.

The PS3 glasses work fine for me even with the internal emitter.
post #1714 of 3445 Old 04-28-2013, 06:06 AM

Hi, when looking picture really close, to see pixel structure, I notice that pixels on mx HW50 are somewhat "alive", they twinkle or I don't know hot to describe the effect, but it is more visible on grey or a bit dark areas, the effect is more produced there. Can some one check if you can see also such behaivur...is not problematic, but I just notice it yesterday... hmmm , Thank you....

And it is best to have static / pused picture to see this....
post #1715 of 3445 Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I need help with setting up my projector. The image is still slightly trapezoid (4" too wide on bottom) after maxing out keystone to -30.

I am using a ceiling mount and the angle from the center of the lens to the middle of the screen is 9.46 degrees. The distance from lens to screen is 132" and the screen is 100". The height difference is 22"

Based on the calculator in the manual it says I should have 25" of adjustment but my image is still trapezoid. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
post #1716 of 3445 Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM
KDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post

I need help with setting up my projector. The image is still slightly trapezoid (4" too wide on bottom) after maxing out keystone to -30.

I am using a ceiling mount and the angle from the center of the lens to the middle of the screen is 9.46 degrees. The distance from lens to screen is 132" and the screen is 100". The height difference is 22"

Based on the calculator in the manual it says I should have 25" of adjustment but my image is still trapezoid. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Maybe tilt the front of the projector up if it has that much lens shift. that will help. If its not to severe, Maybe drop the projector a little lower if possible then tilt the lens upward. You can get away without any keystone adjusment if this is done emough.
Tilt up will correct for the screen bottom being futher away.
post #1717 of 3445 Old 04-28-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post

Your screen and your projector are not square to each other which is why you see the trapezoid. Either your screen is not hanging straight up and down (not plumb) or the projector is not level. I would reset keystone to 0 and make sure the screen is straigt then try adjusting your mount. If you have a level, use it. (Even a cheap app will work). Try to get that angle as close to 0.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #1718 of 3445 Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 PM

Hmm, a few days later and now it is flickering like mad in high or low lamp mode alike. Just came back home after the weekend and wanted to chill out the rest of the evening but this flickering is driving me nuts.
I've reseated the lamp and tried connecting the PJ to the same wall socket as the source to avoid power issues but nothing seems to help. Also the cooling mode doesn't really change anything since it has been on high the whole last week. I'll RMA it and see what solution sony comes up with I guess.

My former Epson did this too, but as far as I recall only the last weeks before it died with a little less than 10x the hours of this one on the clock.
As I'm typing this, things seem to calm down a little bit...hmm...nope forget it, it's returning just now frown.gif
post #1719 of 3445 Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 PM

[UPDATE] No issues with the projector at all. Turns out it is my source (HTPC). At least based on the fact that 3 other sources worked fine with the projector for over 30 hours.
Hi All! I just purchased the HW50ES yesterday. When it works, it looks fantastic. But "when" is the key ... I keep getting one of two problems/issues. Only 3 hours on bulb so far.

After 5-20 minutes of perfect, clean image, I get either 1: black/grey lines flickering at the bottom of image (literally just the bottom 30 pixels of the image) all the way across the screen, OR

2: projector goes blank/black - no image at all. It does not turn off. Green indicator light on top of projector is still on. Projector functions still work - I can bring up the test pattern, open and close iris, I can switch to different inputs, but I cannot see anything on the source input. Not even the projector menu comes up. Nothing, just a blank screen.

I have to unplug then re-plug in my source. Then all is well again for 5, 10, if I am lucky, 20 minutes. Then either the black flickering lines, or the blank screen.

Other weird thing, so far this only happens with 60p sources. When I feed it 24p it seems stable, so far. But with 1080/60p and 720/60p I get the two issues above.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Please note, I have tried 3 different cables. With the same source and cables, I have had ZERO issues with both the previous projector and current LCD TV (plenty of hours) smile.gif So I think that rules out the source and cable.

Of course it goes without saying I will be on the phone with my dealer right away (unless I am overlooking something?).

Thanks all!
post #1720 of 3445 Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 PM

Okay, scratch the 24p source, just blanked on me with that too. Still have yet to see the flickering lines at the bottom with 24p, but lost the picture.

Also, in case you ask, I also tried both HDMI 1 and 2 inputs on projector. Same issues with both.

Looks like I will be asking for a swap.

Still, if anyone has ever heard of this blanking issue (any projector), where the projector stays on, but will not even show the menu or anything while on the input it went blank on, I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.
post #1721 of 3445 Old 04-28-2013, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post

Maybe tilt the front of the projector up if it has that much lens shift. that will help. If its not to severe, Maybe drop the projector a little lower if possible then tilt the lens upward. You can get away without any keystone adjusment if this is done emough.
Tilt up will correct for the screen bottom being futher away.

Thanks I just had to level the projector and use the lens shift.
post #1722 of 3445 Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Well, just gave Sony a call on their PrimeSupport number. Apparently they're taking the "Prime" seriously and are going to send me a new lamp this week. I wouldn't have expected them to do that just on a brief 3 sentence description to the lady on the phone so this is great and saves me from packing the little one up and lugging it across town to the post office. Keeping my fingers crossed that just the lamp is out of spec and not more stuff is damaged. It's flickering again right now so I'll shut it down after the warmup and see how the next lamp fares.
post #1723 of 3445 Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjugen View Post

Hi, when looking picture really close, to see pixel structure, I notice that pixels on mx HW50 are somewhat "alive", they twinkle or I don't know hot to describe the effect, but it is more visible on grey or a bit dark areas, the effect is more produced there. Can some one check if you can see also such behaivur...is not problematic, but I just notice it yesterday... hmmm , Thank you....

And it is best to have static / pused picture to see this....

Yes, on a paused image, there's a lot of 'stuff' going on on the screen. 'Noise' is the best way I can describe it. If I recall correctly, DLPs have it worse though b/c of the dithering (I briefly owned a BenQ 7000). Doesn't bother me too much on the Sony, but I do notice it, and I do wonder what exactly it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosi1979 View Post

Hmm, a few days later and now it is flickering like mad in high or low lamp mode alike. Just came back home after the weekend and wanted to chill out the rest of the evening but this flickering is driving me nuts.
I've reseated the lamp and tried connecting the PJ to the same wall socket as the source to avoid power issues but nothing seems to help. Also the cooling mode doesn't really change anything since it has been on high the whole last week. I'll RMA it and see what solution sony comes up with I guess.

My former Epson did this too, but as far as I recall only the last weeks before it died with a little less than 10x the hours of this one on the clock.
As I'm typing this, things seem to calm down a little bit...hmm...nope forget it, it's returning just now frown.gif

I've noticed flicker, mostly visible in 'Low Lamp' mode, in 3 different HW50 units. I ended up keeping the unit that had the best lens focus uniformity & convergence. I replaced the lamp inside it with the replacement lamp. Still flickers. I talked to people at Sony about it; people at Install Support said they'd never heard of it. I had a contact at Sony CS contact engineers in Japan (supposedly) about the problem, but haven't heard back since (that was months ago). I really wish they'd figure it out.

I documented the problem in a video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJcbfPkaMlo

Though realize that the flicker rate in that video is a convolution of the actual frequency of the flicker & the 24Hz sampling rate of my camera (I shot it at 24p). If anyone has a high FPS camera (like 120 or above), I'd love it if you'd record the flicker. We can then use software to calculate the frequency of the flicker, which might give some insight into the source of the problem. The reason one needs a high FPS camera to calculate this is b/c you need to temporally sample the flicker at at least 2x the flicker frequency. Assuming an upper limit of 60Hz for the flicker frequency, a 120fps camera should be fine.

Cheers.
post #1724 of 3445 Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Question about the exhaust vents (or ventilation holes). Do fellow owners have both exhaust vents blowing out warm/hot air? Or just the one? I only have hot air being blown out of the front left vent (if looking at the lens of the projector). Would someone please confirm that they are also only getting air out of the one exhaust port - since the manual indicates that both of them are exhaust.

Thanks!
post #1725 of 3445 Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Recently my Sony hw50 has began randomly losing sync with the source (directv genie) for a couple of seconds and the screen is going black and the it picks it back up and says hdmi 1 in upper left. The volume continues through my stereo. This is very very annoying. Anyone experienced this problem yet? Sometimes it does it repeatedly making viewing almost impossible. I've got 214 hours on the unit and it didn't start happening until maybe the 200 hour mark.
post #1726 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcs View Post

Question about the exhaust vents (or ventilation holes). Do fellow owners have both exhaust vents blowing out warm/hot air? Or just the one? I only have hot air being blown out of the front left vent (if looking at the lens of the projector). Would someone please confirm that they are also only getting air out of the one exhaust port - since the manual indicates that both of them are exhaust.

Thanks!
Only one exhaust on my also, so this must be normal........
post #1727 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosi1979 View Post

Well, just gave Sony a call on their PrimeSupport number. Apparently they're taking the "Prime" seriously and are going to send me a new lamp this week. I wouldn't have expected them to do that just on a brief 3 sentence description to the lady on the phone so this is great and saves me from packing the little one up and lugging it across town to the post office. Keeping my fingers crossed that just the lamp is out of spec and not more stuff is damaged. It's flickering again right now so I'll shut it down after the warmup and see how the next lamp fares.

That is good news. Do you mind share the Sony Prime contact number just for future reference? Thanks.
post #1728 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 AM

Liked: 11
Just a few questions for 50ES owners.
I had one last week for installation and will return to the customer very soon. I had a few problems and thought maybe that you guys might have answers to a few of them at least. So here i go:

1) I couldn't save any settings in memory banks. For example a calibrated preset. Can you save memories in the 50ES?
2) The 3D glasses just would not activate. I could see that what was projected on screen was a 3D picture and the pre-pro attested that the signal was 3D, yet the glasses although properly lit would not activate. Any idea?
3) I need to fix an anamorphic lens on that 50ES but i could only find the horizontal squeeze in the menu, not the vertical stretch. Did i miss something?
4) Are there any firmware available for the 50ES?
5) Sony advertises the 50ES as compatible with the Panamorph anamorphic lens through the use of an electronic correction named ECC. I couldn't find any ECC setting in the menu. Is it the panel alignment maybe?

Thanks
post #1729 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 AM

What kind of screens are most people using with this projector? I called Mike at AVS and he is leaning me towards the Carada which seems like a very good choice. But would like a smattering of what others are using.

Thanks

My Home Theater
post #1730 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjugen View Post

Only one exhaust on my also, so this must be normal........

Thanks mjugen, puts me more at ease smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

What kind of screens are most people using with this projector? I called Mike at AVS and he is leaning me towards the Carada which seems like a very good choice. But would like a smattering of what others are using.

Thanks

I am using a DaLite HP (2.8 gain). Have lamp on low with iris closed down to 15 and image is nice and bright. Figure as the bulb ages I will just keep opening the iris. Have not yet tried 3D, but everyone keeps telling me that with all this extra brightness it should be sweet.
post #1731 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 AM

UPDATE: on blanking and flickering lines issue from earlier post.

My dealer loaned me a blu-ray player to try as a different source. Played for nearly an hour without issue. So it is looking like it is my source.

Question, how is the HW50ES HDMI input different than my 1080 TV or former projector? Same source for all (I am using an HTPC for all my output). Is it more sensitive? Any ideas on what I should be trying with my HTPC? Again, it can work anywhere from 5-15 minutes without an issue and then BAM, blank screen or the grey/black bars at the bottom. And even though I had one issue at 1080p24, it is WAY more stable than 1080p60-which always fails. What gives?

BTW, testing now with my laptop. Projector shows 1080/60p input. So far so good.
post #1732 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52

What other equipment do you have?  How long is your HDMI cable?

post #1733 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 AM

Liked: 24
Try a different HDMI cable.. I had similar issues a while ago when I had an Epson 5020 and I was able to solve those by changing the cables. HDMI is pretty finicky with regards to longer cable runs because the HDMI chips have different tweaks for cable EQ. Some sources might be fine with a given cable, other sources might not.

For example, I had an HDMI cable that worked fine with my receiver connected to the projector.. if I connected my Lumagen device, then I got blanking on the output. I tried a different HDMI cable and the Lumagen worked fine. Bottom line, try different combinations.
post #1734 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 AM

So far I have tried 4 different HDMI cables. My original 25ft, 2 different 10ft, and a 6ft I borrowed from my dealer. All cables seem to work fine with the laptop and blu-ray (standalone) player, but as soon as I hook up my HTPC I get those issues. And with the HTPC, ONLY with the new projector, other display devices with the same output work flawlessly.

Again, it is not always immediate, sometimes 5, sometimes 10 minutes of clean image before it either blacks/blanks out or lines. Sometimes I have even got what looks like a ghosted image of whatever is on the screen on the bottom half of the picture.

All equipment direct to the projector, not going between anything else. No other switches, no receiver, just the source and 1 of the (now) 4 cables smile.gif
post #1735 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 AM

Well, you can't change the HDMI chip on the projector. But you CAN try a different HDMI chip on the HTPC. Can you try a different video card?
post #1736 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 AM

I do not have one handy, but that is looking more and more like my only option. I guess display devices all handle HDMI differently too? Otherwise does not explain why it works with other display devices, or why it works for a limited time. Unless this projector is more finicky about the signal?

Laptop going now for close to 3 hours without incident! I am happy (and sad) to say it is looking more and more like it is my HTPC and Projector combo that is the problem.

But so far the projector looks good. I really do want to keep it since the convergence looks sooo close to spot on. And no dead or stuck pixels. Sharpness uniformity is off a little as others have mentioned, but unless I am staring at computer text (like I am now) it is hard to notice.
post #1737 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM

Yes, unfortunately HDMI behavior is not consistent. You could also try some other driver versions and see if the behavior changes. I also suggest checking the refresh rate and resolution settings in your operating system. (is it windows?)

Could be an EDID issue, you could try setting a custom EDID. There are some utilities that help with this task.
post #1738 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 AM

[UPDATE] So far with Win 7 Service Pack 1 applied I have had a much more stable connection, even with 1080/60p signal. So quite possible that Service Pack 1 updated some HDMI related communications issues (?). It does state that it fixed some HDMI audio related issues, so possible there were other HDMI issues as well.
Thanks Ivan. All good suggestions, because I have tried many of those already smile.gif

Updated my device driver, played with different refresh rates (hence why I know it is more stable with 24hz). Problem also occurs with 720p60 output, but I have mainly been trying to get 1080p60 to work. Not sure if color depth and those RGB and Yr settings make a difference. Never had a problem before, but now I am grasping at everything.

Next step will be applying Service Pack 1 to Windows 7. That is what is on my laptop. Too bad my laptop is not a home entertainment machine, so I really cannot test full blu-ray 1080p material. But does not matter, with my HTPC I get the issue just sitting on the desktop.

Specs:
WIndows 7 - 64bit - Ultimate
Sapphire 4830 512K card (the HDMI version)
Catalyst Driver package 13.1
Output set to 1080p 60Hz (problem), set to 1080p 24Hz (more stable - had more than an hour without issue).

The owner's manual indicates that v freq should be 60Hz. I was expecting something like 59.XX. So I have left the output at 60Hz. Wish there was a way to test what is actually being sent out. The catalyst software allows custom EDID settings, but I would not know what else to try, and do not want to damage the display.

I really need to get 60Hz working since I like using the HTPC for more than movies. Even typing and moving the mouse at 24Hz is obvious! smile.gif
post #1739 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 AM

BTW, my dealer has been great trying to help me narrow down the problem. And he gave me a great price too! Anyone looking for a great deal on the HW50 in Canada (Toronto and GTA) PM me and I will be glad to share info. Highly recommended on all accounts!
post #1740 of 3445 Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52

Are you using 8 bit or something higher?  I'd try 8 bit and see if that helps.  Your problem could also be a heat issue.  Most HDMI issues rear their ugly head right away and not after it has been running for a bit.  Heat in the HTPC could be affecting the HDMI board or capacitance causing problems.  It could also be heat in the projector if it is in an area that might get hotter after a while, like near a ceiling.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page