Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1981 of 3472 Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

I manually zoom and shrink on a 130" scope screen and barely have to mess with the focus. And when I do, it's a 10-15 second endeavor.

I suppose your wife does that too? wink.gif

It can be done quickly by yourself, but unless you've got eagle vision there's no way to know for sure that you have it focused as good as possible. I still think 2 people, or at a minimum setting focus and walking up to the screen wall and making minor adjustments where needed is best. 2 sets of sharpie lines on the zoom/focus could fix that and ensure optimal focus. Of course I wouldn't do that but I also wouldn't change my screensize (though I definitely understand why you do it) .

I would tell the wife to get used to the native size of the screen. biggrin.gif

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1982 of 3472 Old 06-04-2013, 02:51 AM
anm
Member
 
anm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

I manually zoom and shrink on a 130" scope screen and barely have to mess with the focus. And when I do, it's a 10-15 second endeavor.
Just to ensure I understand it correctly - the top/ bottom on your wide screen is projected out of screen, and while watching 16:9 you shrink it by zooming out. Right?

For 16:9, you must be getting left/ right black/ grey bars?
But if you get a panamorph lens, how will you do this? Would you need to manually remove the lens when watching 16:9?
anm is offline  
post #1983 of 3472 Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

I suppose your wife does that too? wink.gif
My wife could do it if she needs to, but we always watch things in the theater together. I think you meant to refer to yosh7's wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR 
It can be done quickly by yourself, but unless you've got eagle vision there's no way to know for sure that you have it focused as good as possible. I still think 2 people, or at a minimum setting focus and walking up to the screen wall and making minor adjustments where needed is best. 2 sets of sharpie lines on the zoom/focus could fix that and ensure optimal focus. Of course I wouldn't do that but I also wouldn't change my screensize (though I definitely understand why you do it).
No eagle eye vision needed. I pull up the Sony menu, a quick turn of the focus ring, and voila. Is it pixel perfect? No. But it doesn't have to be. Your eye can't discern perfect pixel focus in a moving picture anyway. Unless you're surfing webpages or reading on-screen text, perfect focus is not that critical. Most of the time I forget to do it anyway since the picture looks good when I do the zooming. None of my guests seem to notice either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post

Just to ensure I understand it correctly - the top/ bottom on your wide screen is projected out of screen, and while watching 16:9 you shrink it by zooming out. Right?

For 16:9, you must be getting left/ right black/ grey bars?
But if you get a panamorph lens, how will you do this? Would you need to manually remove the lens when watching 16:9?
Yes, when I zoom in on a 2:35+ movie, the black bars at the top and bottom get "pushed" off the screen and disappear into my velvet. I have to look really really hard from my viewing position (about 15-16 feet) to see the bars, and even then, its because I know they're there. When I watch 16x9 material, there are black bars on the sides. I don't have a masking system yet so it's mildly annoying at first, but after the first 10 minutes or so, I forget about the side bars.

With a lens, you move the lens out of the way for 16x9 material. High-end setups have an automated sled, others are manual. I'm either manually moving a sled, or manually moving the zoom ring - I think I'll save the $$$ I would've spent on a lens and use it for other things.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
blipszyc is offline  
post #1984 of 3472 Old 06-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
yosh7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice. Just to clarify my situation, I will be using the projector for gaming about 70% of the time. Because of this i am going with a 16:9 screen. When I'm done gaming, I plan on manually shrinking the picture via the zoom ring so that the wife can watch on a smaller picture. She will not mind the lack of borders and probably won't be ultra concerned about perfect focus. When I switch back to gaming or watch a widescreen movie, then I will re adjust the picture to fill the screen and take the time to dial in the focus. Call me crazy, but this is the plan. I was considering the sharp because of the power zoom and memory presets but I have read that lag is a bit longer with this unit. If gaming was out of the picture then the sharp would be fine. I would honestly rather deal with the inconvenience of the manual lens than worry about lag. I was close to pulling the trigger on the 95ES to have my cake and eat it too, but am thinking that the 50ES is a great compromise. I think brightness and RC may be bigger benefits than black levels with respect to gaming as well. Maybe not the case for movies though. I was also considering the Panasonic 8000 for the power zoom and good lag for gaming but sharpness and picture quality just seem to far away from the 50 ES. I will probably be going with the 50ES unless you guys point out some issues with my in-experienced logic.smile.gif. The 50ES seems to be the best compromise.

Also considering a DIYSeymour av center stage at screen at 1.2 gain. Primary seating distance will be 13.5 feet on 126 inch diagonal 16:9 screen. Second row abot 19 feet away. Any idea on how far back I could mount the projector? Any faults with this screen pairing?

Thanks again

yosh7 is offline  
post #1985 of 3472 Old 06-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 82
And just to clarify, you have no interest in waiting around a year to see if a 95ES successor drops that combines the benefits of the 50 and the 95 together? Sony has a big void between the 50 and 1000 right now and the 95 is past it's life cycle, it seems like Sony would be actively trying to fill this void since a lot of people find the 50ES lacking features they need, 95 out of date and lacking brightness/RC of the 50, and most people don't have 20k to spend on a 4k 1000.

Honestly it really isn't that much of a pain to re zoom and focus the 50 (and it's a great all around projector with no noticeable input lag, I'm not great and Blops 2 and yet I remained competitive playing on the 50 on a ~159 screen), you may not get the focus perfect by yourself but it will be adequate. I'd still just get the wife used to the bigger picture though. wink.gif

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is offline  
post #1986 of 3472 Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Member
 
ivanhoek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

And just to clarify, you have no interest in waiting around a year to see if a 95ES successor drops that combines the benefits of the 50 and the 95 together? Sony has a big void between the 50 and 1000 right now and the 95 is past it's life cycle, it seems like Sony would be actively trying to fill this void since a lot of people find the 50ES lacking features they need, 95 out of date and lacking brightness/RC of the 50, and most people don't have 20k to spend on a 4k 1000.

Honestly it really isn't that much of a pain to re zoom and focus the 50 (and it's a great all around projector with no noticeable input lag, I'm not great and Blops 2 and yet I remained competitive playing on the 50 on a ~159 screen), you may not get the focus perfect by yourself but it will be adequate. I'd still just get the wife used to the bigger picture though. wink.gif

The price of a 95es or successor, and a 50es plus lumagen combo is essentially the same. You can accomplish the same effect of a smaller image by scaling with the lumagen, and have it available at the touch of a button. No need to zoom and refocus, plus you gain the other benefits of having a lumagen, such as 125pt CMS, 21pt grayscale and processing features.

Yeah, it'd be a scaled down image (not 1:1 pixel mapped), but it'll look good and your wife won't care. It may even end up looking better due to the calibration.
Done Deal DR likes this.
ivanhoek is offline  
post #1987 of 3472 Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post

The price of a 95es or successor, and a 50es plus lumagen combo is essentially the same. You can accomplish the same effect of a smaller image by scaling with the lumagen, and have it available at the touch of a button. No need to zoom and refocus, plus you gain the other benefits of having a lumagen, such as 125pt CMS, 21pt grayscale and processing features.

Yeah, it'd be a scaled down image (not 1:1 pixel mapped), but it'll look good and your wife won't care. It may even end up looking better due to the calibration.

Very true. The only thing the 50 lacks is better lens of the 95, though as a 50 owner it hasn't bothered me in the least. Either way your suggestion is great, although from my limited research Lumagens aren't exactly cheap.

Definitely give the Lumagens a look.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is offline  
post #1988 of 3472 Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Newbie
 
doviter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
good info,it appears many other have this on their short list for an upgrade as well. 15.gif
doviter is offline  
post #1989 of 3472 Old 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Member
 
Iam74Gibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

And just to clarify, you have no interest in waiting around a year to see if a 95ES successor drops that combines the benefits of the 50 and the 95 together? Sony has a big void between the 50 and 1000 right now and the 95 is past it's life cycle, it seems like Sony would be actively trying to fill this void since a lot of people find the 50ES lacking features they need, 95 out of date and lacking brightness/RC of the 50, and most people don't have 20k to spend on a 4k 1000.

Honestly it really isn't that much of a pain to re zoom and focus the 50 (and it's a great all around projector with no noticeable input lag, I'm not great and Blops 2 and yet I remained competitive playing on the 50 on a ~159 screen), you may not get the focus perfect by yourself but it will be adequate. I'd still just get the wife used to the bigger picture though. wink.gif

Hey Done Deal DR... I see you have a 159" screen? May I ask what kind? I am considering up to a 159" DaLite High Power Screen for my new setup, but I would like to make sure the 50es can light it up well enough and how far the minimum throw distance is... I have looked at the Projector Pro calc, but have read that it is not really that accurate.

Thanks
Iam74Gibson is offline  
post #1990 of 3472 Old 06-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam74Gibson View Post

Hey Done Deal DR... I see you have a 159" screen? May I ask what kind? I am considering up to a 159" DaLite High Power Screen for my new setup, but I would like to make sure the 50es can light it up well enough and how far the minimum throw distance is... I have looked at the Projector Pro calc, but have read that it is not really that accurate.

Thanks

Funny, I don't yet have the screen, but I'm ordering the same screen you're looking at with the Cinema Contour frame in the next day or two. I have it projected on a light tan wall at ~159" and on high mode it lights it up great assuming the room is dark. It's merely adequate with a decent amount of light in the room. I'm hoping the screen helps light it up better when there is ambient light and also allows me to run on low mode more of the time. Right now I can only run low mode when the room is completely dark at night, and even then I don't prefer it to high mode.

Either way I'll pay for more bulbs to get the big screen affect. The resolution holds up great on this screen size and Mrs Done Deal and I love it. Can't wait to get the screen, I'm sure the colors will pop a lot more although it already looks fantastic to me. My projector is currently at roughly ~19 feet from the wall, the zoom at this screen size would only allow you to place it maybe a foot or so closer than that (not 100% sure as I haven't moved it), but it's plenty of zoom adjustment to move backwards if you need to.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is offline  
post #1991 of 3472 Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Member
 
Iam74Gibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Funny, I don't yet have the screen, but I'm ordering the same screen you're looking at with the Cinema Contour frame in the next day or two. I have it projected on a light tan wall at ~159" and on high mode it lights it up great assuming the room is dark. It's merely adequate with a decent amount of light in the room. I'm hoping the screen helps light it up better when there is ambient light and also allows me to run on low mode more of the time. Right now I can only run low mode when the room is completely dark at night, and even then I don't prefer it to high mode.

Either way I'll pay for more bulbs to get the big screen affect. The resolution holds up great on this screen size and Mrs Done Deal and I love it. Can't wait to get the screen, I'm sure the colors will pop a lot more although it already looks fantastic to me. My projector is currently at roughly ~19 feet from the wall, the zoom at this screen size would only allow you to place it maybe a foot or so closer than that (not 100% sure as I haven't moved it), but it's plenty of zoom adjustment to move backwards if you need to.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks I'd appreciate a review of your new screen when you get it!
Iam74Gibson is offline  
post #1992 of 3472 Old 06-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam74Gibson View Post

Thanks I'd appreciate a review of your new screen when you get it!

Will do!

I know it's what happens on forums, but you get a little nervous ordering products where people report issues with them which is what I've seen on the new 2.4 gain HP material. Hoping I luck out and don't have any problems, shipping a giant screen back and forth doesn't sound appealing.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is offline  
post #1993 of 3472 Old 06-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
bryan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan91 View Post

First off I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I have read every page and have learned a lot about the projector that I will be getting any day.

I had a question about the throw distance for this projector. I have a 110" Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 gain screen. My preferred seating distance is about 14'. I have done the calculator but do not really understand what it is telling me. Is it saying that I should mount the projector 13.5' from the screen and if I do so it will be in the red on the throw distance bar.

What would be the ideal throw distance?

Is 15' to 16' to far?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

I am hoping that my projector should be in any day now and am getting very excited. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out on my question above? Thank you
bryan91 is offline  
post #1994 of 3472 Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Member
 
ivanhoek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The calculator is telling you that 13.5 from the screen is the middle of the throw range. Your proposed 15-16 is towards the back of the throw range, but still within spec. I have mine mounted about 14-15 feet back with a 120" 1.3 gain screen, and it's plenty bright. You should be fine..

Your seating distance is a little far for a 110", but that's really a taste matter more than anything. Nothing wrong with your configuration imo.
ivanhoek is offline  
post #1995 of 3472 Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Newbie
 
bryan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post

The calculator is telling you that 13.5 from the screen is the middle of the throw range. Your proposed 15-16 is towards the back of the throw range, but still within spec. I have mine mounted about 14-15 feet back with a 120" 1.3 gain screen, and it's plenty bright. You should be fine..

Your seating distance is a little far for a 110", but that's really a taste matter more than anything. Nothing wrong with your configuration imo.

Thank you very much.

I agree with you that my seating distance is a little further than I would prefer but the set up of the surround speakers puts me at that distance. When we were building the house I put in ceiling brackets for speakers and went a little further back than I probably should have on the set up.
bryan91 is offline  
post #1996 of 3472 Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Member
 
DrZaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Funny, I don't yet have the screen, but I'm ordering the same screen you're looking at with the Cinema Contour frame in the next day or two. I have it projected on a light tan wall at ~159" and on high mode it lights it up great assuming the room is dark. It's merely adequate with a decent amount of light in the room. I'm hoping the screen helps light it up better when there is ambient light and also allows me to run on low mode more of the time. Right now I can only run low mode when the room is completely dark at night, and even then I don't prefer it to high mode.

Either way I'll pay for more bulbs to get the big screen affect. The resolution holds up great on this screen size and Mrs Done Deal and I love it. Can't wait to get the screen, I'm sure the colors will pop a lot more although it already looks fantastic to me. My projector is currently at roughly ~19 feet from the wall, the zoom at this screen size would only allow you to place it maybe a foot or so closer than that (not 100% sure as I haven't moved it), but it's plenty of zoom adjustment to move backwards if you need to.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I have teh same projector, I'm going to use a SI performace screen with SolarHD 1.3 gain for 160 inch 240:1 ratio.. set it back 17'8" and you should be fine, I just got of the phone with Mike @ AVS.. my option is to get the cinevista and use the option with the fixed lens, you can watch in 16:9 mode without moving the lens..
DrZaus is offline  
post #1997 of 3472 Old 06-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

I have teh same projector, I'm going to use a SI performace screen with SolarHD 1.3 gain for 160 inch 240:1 ratio.. set it back 17'8" and you should be fine, I just got of the phone with Mike @ AVS.. my option is to get the cinevista and use the option with the fixed lens, you can watch in 16:9 mode without moving the lens..

To clarify, the 159" screen I'm buying is 16:9.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is offline  
post #1998 of 3472 Old 06-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
booga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Fellas,

Can the Sony HW50 and Lumagen Mini work with a 2.35 scope screen without anamorphic lens? Anybody with this set up? I am trying watch cable tv and movies without letterbox bars. If possible to stretch both ratios with Lumagen.
booga24 is offline  
post #1999 of 3472 Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam74Gibson View Post

Thanks I'd appreciate a review of your new screen when you get it!

I got the screen ordered today with Craig at AVS, I'll let you know how it goes.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is offline  
post #2000 of 3472 Old 06-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
belmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Norcross, GA, USA
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYOSS View Post

So I can't vouch for the site, but I came across a helluva deal on the PS3 glasses while perusing Slickdeals this AM. http://www.dailysteals.com/ have (2) pair for $20 shipped. Figured that, at $20 for two pair, it was worth a flier.

I didn't take my own advice and gambled on this deal. Just received my two pairs in the mail today (much faster than I expected!). They appear to be fine, except they don't include the outer box (just the inner unmarked white box -- perhaps that has something to do with why they were so cheap). I wish that I had bought more. Thanks for the tip!
belmore is offline  
post #2001 of 3472 Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Member
 
JYOSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmore View Post

I didn't take my own advice and gambled on this deal. Just received my two pairs in the mail today (much faster than I expected!). They appear to be fine, except they don't include the outer box (just the inner unmarked white box -- perhaps that has something to do with why they were so cheap). I wish that I had bought more. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, just got mine today as well. One of the guys on slickdeals said that one of his pairs had a broken lens which got me concerned....ship shape for my two pairs though!
JYOSS is offline  
post #2002 of 3472 Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Tracking # I saw said mine were supposed to be delivered yesterday, but I didn't see them. I ordered 6 pair, so I'm guessing they're coming in a large box, but I know my USPS driver is lazy so he probably didn't have a rubber band big enough to hang the box off my mailbox. Yep, he's that lazy and has done it before with stuff I've ordered from Amazon.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
blipszyc is offline  
post #2003 of 3472 Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Tracking # I saw said mine were supposed to be delivered yesterday, but I didn't see them. I ordered 6 pair, so I'm guessing they're coming in a large box, but I know my USPS driver is lazy so he probably didn't have a rubber band big enough to hang the box off my mailbox. Yep, he's that lazy and has done it before with stuff I've ordered from Amazon.

My USPS person drives to my house (mailbox at end of street) when I have a package, but does not get out of vehicle. Honks horn until someone comes to get the package.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #2004 of 3472 Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Member
 
howletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Mike. Doesn't the HW50 come with 2 pairs of glasses? I only got one.
howletus is offline  
post #2005 of 3472 Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Should be 2...

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is offline  
post #2006 of 3472 Old 06-13-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jkasanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by howletus View Post

Hey Mike. Doesn't the HW50 come with 2 pairs of glasses? I only got one.

Check the box carefully. One set of glasses is buried in the packaging...looks like filler. You wouldn't be the first not to see this!
jkasanic is offline  
post #2007 of 3472 Old 06-13-2013, 05:24 AM
Senior Member
 
smbsocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

Check the box carefully. One set of glasses is buried in the packaging...looks like filler. You wouldn't be the first not to see this!

Yeah, double check the box contents. From what I remember when I unboxed mine I had to search for them too. They do not place the glasses next to each other so it throws you off.
smbsocal is offline  
post #2008 of 3472 Old 06-13-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

Check the box carefully. One set of glasses is buried in the packaging...looks like filler. You wouldn't be the first not to see this!

Yep. It would have saved us (probably Sony also) a few calls if they had located them together. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #2009 of 3472 Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Bengali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I have been using the Epson Duet Portable Screen for temporary test of the 50es. I finally had a chance
to mount an Elite Spectrum 125" Motorized screen. The picture is just great. I sit back about 9' so
the screen is quite large, fine with me biggrin.gif

My walls/ceiling are standard white paint and even when I watch at night, I tend to use high brightness mode.
Is this because of the white walls or the screen size? I could reduce screen size to approx. 104" but that
is the smallest I can go with limited distance I have.

I'm pretty happy with how a $250.00 screen turned out. My question is jumping to $1K+ screen, will
I really gain better colors, sharpness,details? My limited setup, I still require a motorized screen so
I can use my lcd tv during the day.

The Elite Cinetension is up there in price but they are not in that league like the Stewart, etc...

What motorized 125" would you suggest? I read cinegray's are better when using white walls but they
have lower gain right? So with 3D, it is even worst.
Bengali is offline  
post #2010 of 3472 Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Member
 
ivanhoek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengali View Post

Hi,

I have been using the Epson Duet Portable Screen for temporary test of the 50es. I finally had a chance
to mount an Elite Spectrum 125" Motorized screen. The picture is just great. I sit back about 9' so
the screen is quite large, fine with me biggrin.gif

My walls/ceiling are standard white paint and even when I watch at night, I tend to use high brightness mode.
Is this because of the white walls or the screen size? I could reduce screen size to approx. 104" but that
is the smallest I can go with limited distance I have.

I'm pretty happy with how a $250.00 screen turned out. My question is jumping to $1K+ screen, will
I really gain better colors, sharpness,details? My limited setup, I still require a motorized screen so
I can use my lcd tv during the day.

The Elite Cinetension is up there in price but they are not in that league like the Stewart, etc...

What motorized 125" would you suggest? I read cinegray's are better when using white walls but they
have lower gain right? So with 3D, it is even worst.

I don't think you will be able to get a much better motorized screen than the Elite at that price point and screen size. Your problem with the brightness is that the Elite has very little to no gain, and you have a relatively large screen. An optically better screen with the other features you want (125", motorized) will very likely cost much more than $1k. Elite offers the Cinetension2 at 120" for about $1k, but it's also rated at 1.1 gain. Now, I've owned both the Cinetension2 and the regular Elite motorized, and the Cinetension2 does look a little better in terms of sharpness and color etc., but it's not a night and day difference. (less screen texture)

Maybe look at used screens?
ivanhoek is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off