1Likes

post #2251 of 3475 Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ruddy View Post

The wait is really getting bad. Someone ahead of me is going on 7 weeks wait time. I'm at just over 5 weeks now. There is something seriously wrong.

Has anyone ever heard of projectorstores on ebay? Apparently they have 3 available. I really want to get mine from AVS but I can't wait forever.

Is Sony lowering production due to refresh cycle? did we have the same issues with HW30 last year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3475 Old 07-23-2013, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

The wait is really getting bad. Someone ahead of me is going on 7 weeks wait time. I'm at just over 5 weeks now. There is something seriously wrong.

Has anyone ever heard of projectorstores on ebay? Apparently they have 3 available. I really want to get mine from AVS but I can't wait forever.

7.5 weeks here...
post #2253 of 3475 Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

Is Sony lowering production due to refresh cycle? did we have the same issues with HW30 last year?

What is refresh cycle?

I just called Sony and the salesman said he was seeing out of stock as well. He is checking and getting back to me with the details. He also mentioned AVS did not show up as an authorized dealer. I thought they told me they are, maybe he was not looking them up right?

Steve Ruddy
post #2254 of 3475 Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I've only been waiting 2 weeks and it feels too long smile.gif

I've found authorized dealers offering the projector for the same price as AVS, but Mike says not to believe people that say they can get it quickly. In any case, my room should be ready to go by the end of this week at the latest so I'm hoping it will be here by end of the month as promised.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #2255 of 3475 Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just finished talking to an online vendor I ordered through and it looks like I'm being pushed back until sometime in August now. The lady told me she talked with Sony and all their orders were going to ship sometime in August. I have been going through this same thing every week since mid June.
post #2256 of 3475 Old 07-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post

I just finished talking to an online vendor I ordered through and it looks like I'm being pushed back until sometime in August now. The lady told me she talked with Sony and all their orders were going to ship sometime in August. I have been going through this same thing every week since mid June.

Wow, no explanation?

Steve Ruddy
post #2257 of 3475 Old 07-23-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
I just called Sony and the salesman said he was seeing out of stock as well. He is checking and getting back to me with the details. He also mentioned AVS did not show up as an authorized dealer. I thought they told me they are, maybe he was not looking them up right?

That's funny, since we buy our Sony products directly from Sony.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #2258 of 3475 Old 07-23-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
They still have our old address. If you go to - http://store.sony.com/c/S_SonyStyleStore_Dealers/en/c/S_SonyStyleStore_Dealers

And type in Rochester, New York, we come up as -

A/V SCIENCE, INC. (9.5 miles)
680 RIDGE RD.
WEBSTER, NY 14580
(585) 454-1460
Get Directions

Just FYI.

post #2259 of 3475 Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

They still have our old address. If you go to - http://store.sony.com/c/S_SonyStyleStore_Dealers/en/c/S_SonyStyleStore_Dealers

And type in Rochester, New York, we come up as -

A/V SCIENCE, INC. (9.5 miles)
680 RIDGE RD.
WEBSTER, NY 14580
(585) 454-1460
Get Directions

Just FYI.

Thanks for clearing that up, I figured it was an error on their part.

Steve Ruddy
post #2260 of 3475 Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

They can't find any HW50 projectors - what makes you think they can find us? wink.gif
Done Deal DR likes this.

post #2261 of 3475 Old 07-23-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post

Believe me it is frustrating on our end as well. if we don't have any product to sell, we have unhappy customers and we do not make any money. frown.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #2262 of 3475 Old 07-24-2013, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Overall it seems like he was a fan of using both at the same time, with the HW50 RC set relatively low and I seem to recall him running the Darbee somewhere around 40 for most content. I'm interested in getting a Darbee to play around with, but will probably wait for a bit so I can get other aspects of my room set up better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

Sounds like you are having the same trouble I am having deciding between the two. I was thinking the HW50ES with RC on was doing some of the heavy lifting that the Darbee would be doing as well, do you think the PQ gain would be worth it? Do you think using both the Darbee and RC simultaneously will have a positive or negative effect?

I have seen the Darbee in action. It's different from the Sony's RC... Darbee on, and you will get a more brilliant/brighter/a little sharper image. RC on, you only basically get 'sharper' image.. so, using both would make sense. Basically, I think darbee plays with contrast/light/etc., whereas RC plays with pixels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

I heard all bdplayers pq is same when the subject is bdisc but dvd upscaling performance is not same. i m also stuck on darbee. we have RC; whats the benefit of darbee instead of RC and is it worth? 312$

After hearing so much good things about DUNE HD, and how it's supposed to play the best Blu-Ray pictures.. but after comparing it with my Sony Blu-Ray player, it's no contest. For almost any content, all the way from dvd quality up to blu-ray original, the Sony's much better... both on the same tv screen. And my Sony Blu-Ray is way cheaper.

As for Darbee, see above...

post #2263 of 3475 Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 AM

Thanks for your input, I think I will give the darbee a shot.

My Home Theater
post #2264 of 3475 Old 07-24-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After hearing so much good things about DUNE HD, and how it's supposed to play the best Blu-Ray pictures.. but after comparing it with my Sony Blu-Ray player, it's no contest. For almost any content, all the way from dvd quality up to blu-ray original, the Sony's much better... both on the same tv screen. And my Sony Blu-Ray is way cheaper.

Until now I'd never heard of Dune HD ( let alone that it's the best Blu Ray player ). The Oppo is the best Blu Ray player in my opinion.

post #2265 of 3475 Old 07-24-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have 9foot ceilings in the basement. If I do not want my screen just a few inches from the ceiling I am going to need an extension pole to mount the projector arent' I? I understand I want the lens to be within the border of the screen and centered right to left as much as possible right?

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build

post #2266 of 3475 Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82
It definitely needs to be centered in the middle of the screen or the image will be taller on one side of the than the other. In my application we had to remove the drywall and place two 2x4's between the studs to allow for this.

I have a high gain screen and the consensus is to mount is as close to the exact middle of the screen as possible for maximum gain, which is what I'm doing via an adjustable Chief extension pole. From what I understand screens with less or no gain can be mounted higher but in any event, an extension pole is probably a good idea with 9 foot ceilings.

(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #2267 of 3475 Old 07-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

If I'm off by an inch or so is it a big deal? I can still remount my mount now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #2268 of 3475 Old 07-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

It definitely needs to be centered in the middle of the screen or the image will be taller on one side of the than the other....

Not with lens shift. It's designed to help cure these problems caused by off-center projectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

If I'm off by an inch or so is it a big deal? I can still remount my mount now. ...

Not a problem.
post #2269 of 3475 Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah you can certainly overcome a matter of inches with lens shift, I agree. Lens shift will only counter so much though of course and it's always preferable to be as close to spot on as possible.

(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #2270 of 3475 Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Until now I'd never heard of Dune HD ( let alone that it's the best Blu Ray player ). The Oppo is the best Blu Ray player in my opinion.

Sorry, I meant best blu-ray media player..

But I realize, my sony blu-ray player can also play media files from hard disk... so, i guess there was no need to actually get a dedicated media player anymore nowadays.

post #2271 of 3475 Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Turns out its more like four inches. I'm gonna bite the bullet and rehang now when it's easy. The only problem is the outlet is in the way. Hmm.

Gotta pass the time til the projector comes somehow.

- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #2272 of 3475 Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

4 inches may or may not be okay. If not, I don't know your situation but you may be able to shift the screen just an inch or two.

post #2273 of 3475 Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
4 inches shouldn't be too bad. There are some formulas in the front of the manual that can tell you the correct "window" of where it can hang.

Visit the

2.0 done and finally posted! - 

And now...
post #2274 of 3475 Old 07-25-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Sorry, I meant best blu-ray media player..

But I realize, my sony blu-ray player can also play media files from hard disk... so, i guess there was no need to actually get a dedicated media player anymore nowadays.

But can your Sony blu ray player upscale your media on the hard disk if you want a higher resolution? I don't think so.
post #2275 of 3475 Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But can your Sony blu ray player upscale your media on the hard disk if you want a higher resolution? I don't think so.

Of course it does.. and it does it better too.

The lower models s390 n s590 have 2K upskaling... and the s790 have 4K upskaling.

post #2276 of 3475 Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

4 inches shouldn't be too bad. There are some formulas in the front of the manual that can tell you the correct "window" of where it can hang.

Thanks. The projector isn't here yet so I don't have the manual but I'll do some searching and some accurate measuring tonight. I also have two extension rods, one that is 8-9 inches and one that is 14 inches. I'm hoping to use the shorter one since it would be less obtrusive but if I have to use horizontal and vertical lens shift I may instead use the longer one.

With the shorter rod, the lens will be at least 6 inches above the top of the screen. So if its 6 inches above and ~4 to the side, would that significantly affect the picture, or how the screen reacts?

edit: here is the manual. http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_7210.pdf

If I am reading it correctly, I will be at the very edge of the limit with 4 inches horizontal and ~33 inches vertical lens shift on a 110" screen. I'll probably shift the screen an inch and shift the mount an inch so I can still use the shorter extension rod hopefully.

- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #2277 of 3475 Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:

What is refresh cycle?

Beginning of production (HW55ES).
post #2278 of 3475 Old 07-25-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Of course it does.. and it does it better too.

The lower models s390 n s590 have 2K upskaling... and the s790 have 4K upskaling.

I'm talking about upscaling media files (downloaded movies etc) on your external hard drive connected to blu ray player via usb, and not sd dvd upscaling.
post #2279 of 3475 Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm talking about upscaling media files (downloaded movies etc) on your external hard drive connected to blu ray player via usb, and not sd dvd upscaling.

That's what I am talking about... I watched downloaded tv shows and they upscaled quite well.. i can't tell the difference between 480, 720p vs 1080p,... when i play them on my regular media player, it was 'bad'.. but when i put it into the sony blu-ray, they magically transforms into something new...

post #2280 of 3475 Old 07-25-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

Thanks. The projector isn't here yet so I don't have the manual but I'll do some searching and some accurate measuring tonight. I also have two extension rods, one that is 8-9 inches and one that is 14 inches. I'm hoping to use the shorter one since it would be less obtrusive but if I have to use horizontal and vertical lens shift I may instead use the longer one.

With the shorter rod, the lens will be at least 6 inches above the top of the screen. So if its 6 inches above and ~4 to the side, would that significantly affect the picture, or how the screen reacts?

edit: here is the manual. http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_7210.pdf

If I am reading it correctly, I will be at the very edge of the limit with 4 inches horizontal and ~33 inches vertical lens shift on a 110" screen. I'll probably shift the screen an inch and shift the mount an inch so I can still use the shorter extension rod hopefully.

The maximum amount of vertical lens shift for the HW50ES, when using a 110" diagonal 16:9 screen is 11" above the image. This is without using any horizontal lens shift. That 6" and 4" will be cutting it close.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page