Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum
First ... 77  78  79 80  81  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread
kevini's Avatar kevini 04:31 PM 08-01-2013
There are discrete Power codes for the Sony, I configured them in my URC remote. I would imagine Logitech would use them,

Metabolic's Avatar Metabolic 12:24 AM 08-02-2013
Not sure if this earlier post from Texas steve will help but just in case, here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas steve View Post

For those who have the HW50ES and are programming a universal remote  - attached are the dedicated HEX Codes (note this is for this mdl as well as others) directly from Sony.    Hope this helps.
I have not yet tested them with on my NEVO remote, but as they are from Sony Im sure they will work

hw50 IR Hex Codes.docx 16k .docx file

cemo62's Avatar cemo62 05:13 AM 08-02-2013
friends for Sony HW50ES what setting do you suggest for Gamma Correction? off or others-2.4, gamma8, etc? (bluray content)

Thank you
Andreas21's Avatar Andreas21 05:27 AM 08-02-2013
It depends on you room, 2.2 for normal light rooms and 2.4 for batcaves. Of corse the best is to get the projector procalibrated as this includes gamma calibration.smile.gif
Texas steve's Avatar Texas steve 07:25 AM 08-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabolic View Post

Not sure if this earlier post from Texas steve will help but just in case, here it is:

I have now tested them and they work

mbuck's Avatar mbuck 09:23 AM 08-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrtime3 View Post

Does anyone have a logitech harmony one with the HW50ES? I'm having a hard time getting the unit to power off with the 'double power off' feature.

I managed to program the remote to send power off twice however when I'm in an activity it seems to only send once. Otherwise can you turn off this 'feature' to prompt for power off?

Thanks,
mlr

I have the Harmony Ultimate (great remote and LOVE the Philips Hue control). At first the double power off worked, but once I added AppleTV it stopped working. My solution:

Teach the remote a new power off command and name it Power2, then go to Activities, select the Activity you want to modify, select Customize this Activity. Click on Activity shutdown commands and then tweak all you want.

Also contact Logitech, they have great (though not quick) support. They loaded a new command in for me, though after I had already figured it out.
mlrtime3's Avatar mlrtime3 11:26 AM 08-02-2013
Thanks for sending the discrete codes, is there a easy way to get them on the harmony or do I need to hack with the software or pass through another remote?
mlrtime3's Avatar mlrtime3 11:27 AM 08-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post

I have the Harmony Ultimate (great remote and LOVE the Philips Hue control). At first the double power off worked, but once I added AppleTV it stopped working. My solution:

Teach the remote a new power off command and name it Power2, then go to Activities, select the Activity you want to modify, select Customize this Activity. Click on Activity shutdown commands and then tweak all you want.

Also contact Logitech, they have great (though not quick) support. They loaded a new command in for me, though after I had already figured it out.

I'll try this method as well. How did you contact Logitech, through email or support forums?

Thanks
scchang's Avatar scchang 08:01 AM 08-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post

Are you saying that the new command is now part of the code library for the pj? In other words, when we add the device to our device list, it will now power off correctly?

Thanks!
Done Deal DR's Avatar Done Deal DR 11:19 AM 08-03-2013
I think he's saying that he thought it the same power off command but named it differently so that Harmony would treat it as a different power off code.
ktoolsie's Avatar ktoolsie 03:45 PM 08-03-2013
My 50ES came in a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, my previous mount would not fit the Sony, so i can't ceiling mount until I can get a new mount. I had a quick look with it set up on a table. The image seemed to be at a slight roll angle, but it may have been the projector legs weren't all zeroed. Out of the box, the convergence wasn't great on a white grid test pattern. I did a quick panel adjustment - shifted red 5/4 clicks (V/H). Blue needed a couple clicks in each axis. Convergence is now very acceptable, I just hope there's no downside to using the panel shift.

This projector is very bright as most have said. It's noticeably brighter than my old Infocus 7210 (720P) ever was and that had a reputation as being a light cannon. It's also VERY quiet. even right behind it at High lamp setting it was inaudible. This will be a welcome improvement over the Infocus. I couldn't see any uniformity issues with all-white or all-black scenes, no hot corners as some have reported. Black levels were a huge improvement over my old DLP unit. I could only just barely make out the black bars on wide (2.35 aspect ratio) movies. The dynamic iris was imperceptible.

I watched some 2-D and the picture had a lot of pop. Significantly more so that the Infocus 7210. Those worried about losing the DLP pop, need not concern themselves. Colors seemed accurate so far but I will need to see some more demanding material before I can say anything definitive. Sharpness seemed fine and focus seemed pretty uniform. The picture was definitely sharper than I remember my old Infocus being (I haven't run it in 3 months) but I wouldn't say it blew it away, as far as sharpness specifically is concerned. DLP just tend to be very sharp, with the very defined pixel structure making them seemed even sharper still. Also, the Infocus was about $7K when first released, so one would assume a top quality lens was used. I also didn't see any drift in focus as the unit warmed up. When one add the increase in sharpness, extra pop, hugely improved black levels, richer colors and lack of noise, the Sony 2-D image was a huge jump up over the old Infocus, which probably should be expected given that the 7210 is 5 or 6 years old.

3-D was plenty bright. However the image seemed to lack some solidity. Brightly lit foreground images seemed to have a slight flicker. it was almost as if they disappeared for every 3rd or 4th frame (i'm sure they didn't - just trying to describe the perceived effect).

I had to pack everything up as my chairs were supposed to be delivered today (by 2 PM at the latest) and I needed to have my room empty so the delivery guys could set up my chairs without knocking over the new projector. 5:30 PM and not even a call, BAH!!!. I'll set everything back up again and play around some more in a bit.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 06:03 PM 08-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie View Post

My 50ES came in a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, my previous mount would not fit the Sony, so i can't ceiling mount until I can get a new mount. I had a quick look with it set up on a table. The image seemed to be at a slight roll angle, but it may have been the projector legs weren't all zeroed. Out of the box, the convergence wasn't great on a white grid test pattern. I did a quick panel adjustment - shifted red 5/4 clicks (V/H). Blue needed a couple clicks in each axis. Convergence is now very acceptable, I just hope there's no downside to using the panel shift.

This projector is very bright as most have said. It's noticeably brighter than my old Infocus 7210 (720P) ever was and that had a reputation as being a light cannon. It's also VERY quiet. even right behind it at High lamp setting it was inaudible. This will be a welcome improvement over the Infocus. I couldn't see any uniformity issues with all-white or all-black scenes, no hot corners as some have reported. Black levels were a huge improvement over my old DLP unit. I could only just barely make out the black bars on wide (2.35 aspect ratio) movies. The dynamic iris was imperceptible.

I watched some 2-D and the picture had a lot of pop. Significantly more so that the Infocus 7210. Those worried about losing the DLP pop, need not concern themselves. Colors seemed accurate so far but I will need to see some more demanding material before I can say anything definitive. Sharpness seemed fine and focus seemed pretty uniform. The picture was definitely sharper than I remember my old Infocus being (I haven't run it in 3 months) but I wouldn't say it blew it away, as far as sharpness specifically is concerned. DLP just tend to be very sharp, with the very defined pixel structure making them seemed even sharper still. Also, the Infocus was about $7K when first released, so one would assume a top quality lens was used. I also didn't see any drift in focus as the unit warmed up. When one add the increase in sharpness, extra pop, hugely improved black levels, richer colors and lack of noise, the Sony 2-D image was a huge jump up over the old Infocus, which probably should be expected given that the 7210 is 5 or 6 years old.

3-D was plenty bright. However the image seemed to lack some solidity. Brightly lit foreground images seemed to have a slight flicker. it was almost as if they disappeared for every 3rd or 4th frame (i'm sure they didn't - just trying to describe the perceived effect).

I had to pack everything up as my chairs were supposed to be delivered today (by 2 PM at the latest) and I needed to have my room empty so the delivery guys could set up my chairs without knocking over the new projector. 5:30 PM and not even a call, BAH!!!. I'll set everything back up again and play around some more in a bit.

Give me a call and we can talk about what you need for the mount.
sirjetblack's Avatar sirjetblack 09:39 AM 08-04-2013
Hi all ,
Taking the plunge n going to purchase the Sony hw50es very soon. Now I need help in which screen to buy. The three screens I'm considering are grandview , da-lite n draper.
The units will be installed in the basement with control lightening n light colour walls n ceiling.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!
mbuck's Avatar mbuck 03:05 PM 08-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjetblack View Post

Hi all ,
Taking the plunge n going to purchase the Sony hw50es very soon. Now I need help in which screen to buy. The three screens I'm considering are grandview , da-lite n draper.
The units will be installed in the basement with control lightening n light colour walls n ceiling.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

I'm using a Dragonfly high contrast 110" and it is great!
neokeelo's Avatar neokeelo 04:14 PM 08-04-2013
I got a dragon fly 120" 1.2 gain Matt White and am mounting the projector 16ft back. I will post my impressions and pictures later this week.
cemo62's Avatar cemo62 05:13 PM 08-04-2013
Brothers for 3D Depth setting what do you suggest? 0(default)? or +1,2 -1,2?
Done Deal DR's Avatar Done Deal DR 09:31 PM 08-04-2013
Linda's Avatar Linda 08:56 PM 08-05-2013
My partner and I just bought a house that had a home theater in it. Though well maintained it was a roughly 13 year old InFocus projector that wasn't HD and didn't have any digital inputs. We decided on the hw50es and just received it today and all I can say is, WOW!

Though we've been home theater enthusiasts for years we've never had the room for a front projector and we were blown away with the image quality.

The existing screen is a 120" 4x3 screen. I don't know what it is except that it appears to be a roughly 1.0 gain white screen. We'd like to replace the screen with a 16:9 screen in the 120-130" range. I'll have to do some more precise measurements to see how much room our speakers will need. The room is light controlled. The existing paint is roughly equivalent in tone to a medium oak color. The ceiling is a darker brown but the carpet is fairly light colored. We can paint or use curtains to darken the room (eventually) and will eventually replace the carpet so the room will get even darker over time.

With the existing screen (probably being filled to the equivalent of a 100" 16:9 screen) the image is subjectively plenty bright (we're in the reference preset with the auto iris set to limited and low lamp mode).

My question for the group is in this environment, what screens should we be looking at? Most of our viewing will be 2D with the occasional 3D movie thrown in. The screen will be a fixed mount.

I see so much marketing hype it's hard to make any evaluations. I'd appreciate the collective experience of hw50 owners before plunking down some cash.

Thanks!
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 09:11 PM 08-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post

My partner and I just bought a house that had a home theater in it. Though well maintained it was a roughly 13 year old InFocus projector that wasn't HD and didn't have any digital inputs. We decided on the hw50es and just received it today and all I can say is, WOW!

Though we've been home theater enthusiasts for years we've never had the room for a front projector and we were blown away with the image quality.

The existing screen is a 120" 4x3 screen. I don't know what it is except that it appears to be a roughly 1.0 gain white screen. We'd like to replace the screen with a 16:9 screen in the 120-130" range. I'll have to do some more precise measurements to see how much room our speakers will need. The room is light controlled. The existing paint is roughly equivalent in tone to a medium oak color. The ceiling is a darker brown but the carpet is fairly light colored. We can paint or use curtains to darken the room (eventually) and will eventually replace the carpet so the room will get even darker over time.

With the existing screen (probably being filled to the equivalent of a 100" 16:9 screen) the image is subjectively plenty bright (we're in the reference preset with the auto iris set to limited and low lamp mode).

My question for the group is in this environment, what screens should we be looking at? Most of our viewing will be 2D with the occasional 3D movie thrown in. The screen will be a fixed mount.

I see so much marketing hype it's hard to make any evaluations. I'd appreciate the collective experience of hw50 owners before plunking down some cash.

Thanks!

Sent you a PM. smile.gif
baloo_btru's Avatar baloo_btru 10:52 PM 08-05-2013
Good to see people getting their projectors. I'm really hoping mine ships this week.
vince325's Avatar vince325 12:10 AM 08-06-2013
Hey guys If I remember in the shoot out thread someone mentioned about a setting up thread or a site you would recommend to help set up my screen and projector. I did go through 25 pages but didn't find it here's hopping for some help to a projector newbie. Im most concerned about the screen and projector being square to each other so any helpful hints would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
tbacos's Avatar tbacos 12:25 AM 08-06-2013
Placed an order for an HW50 today through AVS. Silly me, I hadn't gotten far enough into this or the shoot out thread to know that these babies are all back ordered. It was a bit uncertain to me how long I'm going to have to wait, since it sounds like the next shipment is already all spoken for. Anyone have any insight into how much time is passing between shipments? Patience is not my strong suit, and that Panny 8000 is cheaper and in stock...
Threefiddie's Avatar Threefiddie 06:49 AM 08-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbacos View Post

Placed an order for an HW50 today through AVS. Silly me, I hadn't gotten far enough into this or the shoot out thread to know that these babies are all back ordered. It was a bit uncertain to me how long I'm going to have to wait, since it sounds like the next shipment is already all spoken for. Anyone have any insight into how much time is passing between shipments? Patience is not my strong suit, and that Panny 8000 is cheaper and in stock...

woot well that means I am not dead last on the waiting sheet anymore! Today makes a week since I put my order in, but considering how many were ahead of me I'm sure I still got a lot of wait left.
Threefiddie's Avatar Threefiddie 06:49 AM 08-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbacos View Post

woot well that means I am not dead last on the waiting sheet anymore! Today makes a week since I put my order in, but considering how many were ahead of me I'm sure I still got a lot of wait left.
booga24's Avatar booga24 08:07 AM 08-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

8 weeks today and still waiting.
Threefiddie's Avatar Threefiddie 09:15 AM 08-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

oh man... you gotta be like #1
booga24's Avatar booga24 09:44 AM 08-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

oh man... you gotta be like #1

I hope you right, patience is a ............
Linda's Avatar Linda 11:15 AM 08-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

I use a harmony touch and I didn't have to change anything for the projector to turn off - it automatically sends the signal correctly even though I have to press the power button twice with the HW50es remote.

We've only had our projector one day and so the Harmony One has only powered down once but it worked just fine for us. I briefly saw the message to press power again before the screen went dark and the projector went into standby.
baloo_btru's Avatar baloo_btru 11:43 AM 08-06-2013
Quote:

I hope you right, patience is a ............

I thought they got several in that had shipped? How has yours not shipped yet? I was promised end of July, then first week of August but haven't heard any update yet.

Mike said they should be here this week though so fingers crossed.
Steve Ruddy's Avatar Steve Ruddy 01:48 PM 08-06-2013
Quote:

I'm 6 days behind you. What makes it so bad is that Sony has them in stock and told me they would ship me one overnight at their expense since I've been waiting so long. I would go for it but I don't want to pay msrp so I'm waiting for my backorder with AVS. This is what happens when a company wants to wear all the hats. Sony is giving priority to their retail customers and screwing their wholesale customers like AVS. Last I heard is Sony has said all wholesale backorders will be filled by August 10 which is kinda weird since that's a Sunday.
Tags: Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
First ... 77  78  79 80  81  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop