Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2791 of 3445 Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know what is the procedure in case the bulb fails while still under warranty? does sony sends a new one and you need to ship the broken one? or (i dont think so?) send the whole projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3445 Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Call Sony customer service - they will tell you.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #2793 of 3445 Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 AM

Yeah, i will, but i'll also like to hear from other people. wink.gif
post #2794 of 3445 Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 AM

30' Redmere HDMI cable causing the image to blink off and on. What can I do??
post #2795 of 3445 Old 10-10-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post

Does anyone know what is the procedure in case the bulb fails while still under warranty? does sony sends a new one and you need to ship the broken one? or (i dont think so?) send the whole projector?

Call Sony ES support: 1-866-924-7669. You will need your projector's serial number.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #2796 of 3445 Old 10-10-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 13
I have an issue with my black levels when switching back and forth from my PC and my set top Sony Blu-ray player.
When I am using my set top, I leave all the settings at default running Ycbcr 4:4:2 and using the AVS 709 test disk my lack levels and contrast is spot on. (Running Cinema 1 mode on the projector)

However, when I switch to my PC, things get tricky. I use 3 different players for reference, Power DVD, Total Media Player 5, and VLC. All 3 of these give me different black levels and I have to change the projector's HDMI level along with the computer's display driver's options ( Pixel Mode RGB Full, RGB Limited, Ycbcr 4:4:4, Ycbcr4:4:2) and "Dynamic White level" Full (0-255) and Limited (16-235).

When juggling between these settings I can get pretty close to the set tops reference black and white levels but not exactly 100% the same. Am I missing something or forgetting anything?

How do users running the projector off both a set top unit and a computer compensate for this difference? It is really annoying.
post #2797 of 3445 Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 AM

Anyone know where I might find a licensed calibrator in the Houston / Pearland area for this projector?

post #2798 of 3445 Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Calibrators are not licensed nor are they certified with respect to any specific projector. There are several for profit entities that train test and certify calibrators. That said, if you pay the class fees and have a modicum of intelligence, anyone can pass the test and become certified. In my opinion, certification is meaningless compared to equipment, skill, and experience. Go to the calibration form and poke around. You will find listings for calibrators and a sense of who the competent ones are.i

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #2799 of 3445 Old 10-11-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
So, for those that care, here's another HW50ES update. I got to play with a second one today (it really helps when making blanket statements about projectors that you've at least tried a few!).

First, the noise the second HW50 makes when in use is very similar to mine, but without the same slight grinding of the fan. No biggie, but there's obviously slight variances from unit to unit (big surprise, right?)

Second, color uniformity. I found an interesting thing about Sony's SXRD implementation, and it's something I noticed about the HW30 as well as both HW50s I've now played with. First, in Cinema 1 mode, there's a tendency toward a slight green cast in various places on the image. For the HW30 I had, it was the lower left of the image and just right of center of the image. For both HW50s, it's just the right of center of the image, in the exact same place on all the projectors (HW50 and HW30). It's BARELY there, and I have to be honest I have to look for it on a completely white desktop background, but it's definitely there. I am absolutely unable to see it on any actual content.

Third, sharpness is very, very similar between the two HW50s, though this one I had to work with a bit more to get "uniform" focus across the image. A much smaller sweet point, whereas the first HW50 has a very large sweet point where I can turn the focus wheel without it losing focus in some part of the image.

Overall:

HW50 A = Very, very slightly sharper, with very, very slightly more sharpness uniformity across the image.

HW50 B = Very, very slightly more uniform whites across the image, and a more pleasant fan noise to my ears.

Overall, which one would I take? Either. smile.gif

I think, though, that JVC's RS45 and Panasonic's PT-AE7000 and PT-AE8000 got the fan noise "quality" down very well. I don't find the HW50 to be quite as quiet, either because of that quality of sound, or just a plain louder fan.

For those that don't remember (or care!) I sit extremely close to my projector (fewer than 2 feet). If you sit further away, this won't be an issue at all.

Anyway, just some more OCD thoughts of the day. Wonderful projector. Watched Tangled in its entirety last night with Reality Creation set to 20 (a nice number, I've found), and all other noise reduction and contrast enhancements turned OFF OFF OFF! Looks like a bajillion bucks!
post #2800 of 3445 Old 10-11-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Some pictures, during the day, blinds closed but tons of ambient light.

Tangled, Blu-ray.

Factory settings, Cinema 1, Auto full iris, lamp on "high."
Reality Creation set to ON, but set to MINIMUM, with no noise reduction or other Reality Creation settings on.

Just taken, hand-held, with my iPhone 5s. Nothing special, but to me it looks like a giant flat panel TV. Well, as giant as 100" 1.0 gain screen can be. tongue.gif Throw distance is 12 feet.

Again, this is more of a demo of how bright this projector can be at a "calibrated" setting (as Cinema 1 is as close to being, out of the box), as well as the general picture quality. I purposely included a view of the room so you can see how much ambient light there is in there.

Close-up - standing about 6 inches away from the image:

post #2801 of 3445 Old 10-11-2013, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
^^
What kinda screen you have?
post #2802 of 3445 Old 10-11-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post

^^
What kinda screen you have?

It's a Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K AT (acoustically transparent) screen, 1.0 gain. I love it, and Chris Seymour of Seymour AV (who puts them together) got this to me as his very first prototype that he had built using the 4K material in a retractable housing. I felt pretty honored to get the first example of this ever produced. smile.gif

Chris is a champ, if you ever want to go down the route. The perforated weave is exceptional on this 4K material, - ridiculously tight - and you can't see it from more than a couple of feet away.

http://www.seymourscreenexcellence.com/materials.asp
post #2803 of 3445 Old 10-11-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

It's a Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K AT (acoustically transparent) screen, 1.0 gain. I love it, and Chris Seymour of Seymour AV (who puts them together) got this to me as his very first prototype that he had built using the 4K material in a retractable housing. I felt pretty honored to get the first example of this ever produced. smile.gif

Chris is a champ, if you ever want to go down the route. The perforated weave is exceptional on this 4K material, - ridiculously tight - and you can't see it from more than a couple of feet away.

I have AT plans for my media room too and of course it's going to be Seymour. I've been told that the 4K has a lesser gain than XD. Which is better in a light controlled room?
post #2804 of 3445 Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have AT plans for my media room too and of course it's going to be Seymour. I've been told that the 4K has a lesser gain than XD. Which is better in a light controlled room?

Light control = go with lower gain. Deeper blacks = win!
post #2805 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone got a technical explanation to the green tinge in SXRDs? I've found an easy way to see it is to have your computer set to a white screen, so when the projector turns on it's instantly a white screen being viewed. Before the projector warms up, - as soon as the image appears, - the green is pretty noticeable, but after a minute or two of warm-up it's nigh-on imperceptible. I'd love to know what goes on in SXRD. biggrin.gif
post #2806 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

I got the en4K and the XD in 2x2 samples. I really much prefer the XD over the en4k. The en4k makes images look soft while the xd makes them pop. Colors are also more vibrant vs 'dull'... if you're sitting 10 feet away, you'll see silky smooth on the xd as well, plus the pop... i much rather go for the pop vs finer weave...
post #2807 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMO, It's definitely not a 1.0 gain.. it's likely 0,8 or lower. The XD looks more like a 1.0 gain. After comparing them side by side, I much prefer the XD.
post #2808 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

IMO, It's definitely not a 1.0 gain.. it's likely 0,8 or lower. The XD looks more like a 1.0 gain. After comparing them side by side, I much prefer the XD.

EN4K is not 1.0 gain, but it is not less than .8 either. EN4K has been independently measured to have an on-axis gain of 0.84. Center Stage was found to have an on-axis gain of 0.94. We are talking about a 12% difference. Not as much as you think. Testing was done by AccuCal.

Added
I much prefer the EN4K. A lot has to do with viewing distance. If greater than 11', then XD works well. At 11' or less, I see the weave of XD. Since I sit at 9', EN4K is the better screen in my case. Once I get my 4K projector, I may move up to 8' viewing. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #2809 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone know if you use the bright tv or bright cinema modes on the 50ES does it automatically switch the lamp to high, or can you leave it on low?
post #2810 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Different strokes, I guess. To me the 4k material is in another league to the XD. I used both extensively. The weave on the XD is easily visible (to me and the wife) at our ~12 feet viewing distance, especially during "solid" scenes, -skies, animation etc. I found it distracting to be honest.

But, like I said, - different strokes. The 4k is the best AT material I've ever seen. smile.gif
post #2811 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Need suggestions for my sony 50es problem. I have a 2:35 screen and Oppo 93 when I watch 2d movies I select Vstretch and slide the panamorph lens into place and everything works great. BUT, when I put the 3d version of the movie into the player (iron man 3/star trek) Vstretch is not an option and the picture displayed is a small version of the 2:35 with black bars above, below and to each side.

Any ideas
D
post #2812 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone got a technical explanation to the green tinge in SXRDs? I've found an easy way to see it is to have your computer set to a white screen, so when the projector turns on it's instantly a white screen being viewed. Before the projector warms up, - as soon as the image appears, - the green is pretty noticeable, but after a minute or two of warm-up it's nigh-on imperceptible. I'd love to know what goes on in SXRD. biggrin.gif

Lamp kelvin changes during warm up stage.

Steve Ruddy
post #2813 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ruddy View Post

Lamp kelvin changes during warm up stage.

Sure, yes. I guess I should have been more clear. smile.gif The entire image is not green. Just parts of the image. I have a good eye for color uniformity (photographer + OCD = life can be tricky, sometimes!) If I look carefully, (again, on a why-would-you-do-that white image) I can see those green patches when the projector has been on for hours.

I'm just wondering why the Sony SXRD tends to do that. I see it on the HW30ES, and on 2x HW50ES to varying degrees. The HW50 I can't see it during normal viewing, but the HW30 I could on occasion, depending on the viewed material.
post #2814 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

EN4K is not 1.0 gain, but it is not less than .8 either. EN4K has been independently measured to have an on-axis gain of 0.84. Center Stage was found to have an on-axis gain of 0.94. We are talking about a 12% difference. Not as much as you think. Testing was done by AccuCal.

Added
I much prefer the EN4K. A lot has to do with viewing distance. If greater than 11', then XD works well. At 11' or less, I see the weave of XD. Since I sit at 9', EN4K is the better screen in my case. Once I get my 4K projector, I may move up to 8' viewing. smile.gif

Mike Which one has more pop / vibrancy? I can sit at 10 ft and 15 ft.
post #2815 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Different strokes, I guess. To me the 4k material is in another league to the XD. I used both extensively. The weave on the XD is easily visible (to me and the wife) at our ~12 feet viewing distance, especially during "solid" scenes, -skies, animation etc. I found it distracting to be honest.

But, like I said, - different strokes. The 4k is the best AT material I've ever seen. smile.gif

Right. I guess it depends on what one prefers. More pop with a little grain or no grain depending on where you sit vs zero grain but softer image without much pop.

Quote:

Mike Which one has more pop / vibrancy? I can sit at 10 ft and 15 ft.

I don't think anyone can argue that the XD would have more pop. It's instantly noticeable. I suggest you get both 2x2 samples and see for yourself. Numbers don't mean much really. Although as suggested there were only 12% difference in gain, I felt like it was day and night difference subjectively. I was watching it with a few people and they all noticed it.

Again, like William said, different strokes for different people. You'll need to see it for yourself to see what you prefer.

Also, I think the screen size matters. If your screen size is only 100 inch diagonal, then sure, i think the EN4K would do nicely. But any bigger and you'll either need a far brighter projector or a higher gain screen, especially for 3D viewing.
post #2816 of 3445 Old 10-12-2013, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

I got a new 12ft wide screen from falcon screen. I can not see the weave at 5 feet and it's bright as the xd. Best of both world. I can't see the weave at all on solid" scenes, -skies, animation etc from 13ft. I think the xd is a lot brighter than just 12% of the en4k

Exactly what I thought too... To me, on a purely subjective perspective, the XD is at least 30-50% brighter and a LOT more pop. In fact, I thought the colors had more saturations as well. But that's just my own subjective opinion. Again, everyone will like different things. The EN4K will give you smooth as a baby's buttocks screen, and probably better blacks, but you'll lose a lot of pop and color vibrancies (if that even makes sense).
post #2817 of 3445 Old 10-13-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17aggie View Post

Need suggestions for my sony 50es problem. I have a 2:35 screen and Oppo 93 when I watch 2d movies I select Vstretch and slide the panamorph lens into place and everything works great. BUT, when I put the 3d version of the movie into the player (iron man 3/star trek) Vstretch is not an option and the picture displayed is a small version of the 2:35 with black bars above, below and to each side.

Any ideas
D

Unfortunately that's common to all 3D Blu-Ray with JAVA menus. The projector itself cannot stretch in 3D, regardless of how the menus work. The OPPO is able to stretch 3D, but not with JAVA menus.

I wish they had an option in the OPPO to disable JAVA thus enabling the stretch feature.

The HW50 is able to make the picture smaller in 3D, but not wider. Why the stretch feature in 3D is disabled in the Sony is a mystery to me.

I have only 1 3D movie in 2.4:1 that has no JAVA menus, Dredd in he UK version. It is simpy marvelous to watch because of the size. I sometimes even watch 3D stuff in 16:9 also stretched to 21:9 just for the size. The Impact in 3D is much better.

I mostly do not buy 3D anymore because of the fact I cannot stretch them to fit my screen.

Happy viewing,
BigRalf:-)
post #2818 of 3445 Old 10-13-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I finally got my replacement HW50ES installed last weekend. So far the clarity is much better than my first one.

I've watched several 3D blu-rays and the picture is awesome. For some reason, though, when I try to watch a DirecTv 3D channel, I get a message that says that my TV is not 3D capable. I'm not sure why I'm getting this message.

The exact same DirecTV box is hooked up to my Samsung Plasma AND the HW50ES in the same room. I can watch the 3D channel on my plasma with no problems, which leads me to believe it's not a problem with the DirecTv box itself. It's also not a problem with my AVR, as everything is hooked up to the AVR and then I used HDMI out 1 to the Plasma and HDMI out 2 to the projector.

Here's my setup:
1) DirecTv > HDMI > RX-A3000 AVR > HDMI Out 1 > Samsung Plasma
2) DirecTv > HDMI > RX-A3000 AVR > HDMI Out 2 > HW50ES
3) Blu-Ray > HDMI > RX-A3000 AVR > HDMI Out 1 > Samsung Plasma
4) Blu-Ray > HDMI > RX-A3000 AVR > HDMI Out 2 > HW50ES

Watching 3D using 1, 3 and 4 above work great. Only #2 fails. Any ideas?

Family Room
Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Amp (getting ready to buy amp - probably Emotiva XPR-5)
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
post #2819 of 3445 Old 10-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Thank you. I can zoom the pictur out, refocus with the test pattern, where it hits the screen, and then go back to the movie. I'm baffled, with all the reviews and the industry push to 3D, yet none of the reviews really mention this problem.
post #2820 of 3445 Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

I finally got my replacement HW50ES installed last weekend. So far the clarity is much better than my first one.

I've watched several 3D blu-rays and the picture is awesome. For some reason, though, when I try to watch a DirecTv 3D channel, I get a message that says that my TV is not 3D capable. I'm not sure why I'm getting this message.

The exact same DirecTV box is hooked up to my Samsung Plasma AND the HW50ES in the same room. I can watch the 3D channel on my plasma with no problems, which leads me to believe it's not a problem with the DirecTv box itself. It's also not a problem with my AVR, as everything is hooked up to the AVR and then I used HDMI out 1 to the Plasma and HDMI out 2 to the projector.

Here's my setup:
1) DirecTv > HDMI > RX-A3000 AVR > HDMI Out 1 > Samsung Plasma
2) DirecTv > HDMI > RX-A3000 AVR > HDMI Out 2 > HW50ES
3) Blu-Ray > HDMI > RX-A3000 AVR > HDMI Out 1 > Samsung Plasma
4) Blu-Ray > HDMI > RX-A3000 AVR > HDMI Out 2 > HW50ES

Watching 3D using 1, 3 and 4 above work great. Only #2 fails. Any ideas?

You sure they sent you an HW50ES and not an HW30ES? They both look the same, but the 50 has the built-in emitter.

I know it's a crazy question, but stranger things have likely happened!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page