AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1432654-official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread.html)

RickAVManiac 10-06-2012 08:48 AM

dedb986a5787d8241de87664bd6215f7_zps9accc2e2.jpg

Specifications and features:
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921666490151&langId=-1&XID=O

PDF marketing flyer :
http://www.donaldanthony.com/forum/VPL-HW50ES.pdf

Operating Instructions:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/VPLHW50ES.pdf

Reviews:
Projector Reviews: http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/hw50es/index.php
Cinetson: http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audiovideohd.fr%2Ftests%2F341-Sony-VPL-HW50ES-0.html
...
...


Suggested Settings for closest to D65 and REC709 picture:
Pic Viewing Mode: Reference
Cinema Black Pro (Iris): Auto limited or full
Motionflow: low
Color Temp: D65
Gamma: Off
Color Space : REC709

RickAVManiac 10-06-2012 08:48 AM

23ECAA96-7161-4981-9903-D0F9B7E4D494-2708-0000045AA819AC2A.jpg

I just received my new projector smile.gif

Cant wait to unpack later today... I should post a first impression around 7pm...

Scott B 10-06-2012 09:14 AM

Congratulations on your new purchase. What projector(s) do you currently have for comparison, and what size/gain is your screen? Looking forward to reading about your impressions. I will be upgrading my JVC RS1 to a new projector and the HW50ES is on the short list. BTW, light output is a big consideration since my home theater has a 10' wide Screen Research CP2 screen.

RickAVManiac 10-06-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post

Congratulations on your new purchase. What projector(s) do you currently have for comparison, and what size/gain is your screen? Looking forward to reading about your impressions. I will be upgrading my JVC RS1 to a new projector and the HW50ES is on the short list. BTW, light output is a big consideration since my home theater has a 10' wide Screen Research CP2 screen.

Good questions, for the record my current projector is a Mits HC9000. Before that I was using a Sony VW95 and before that a Sony HW30. I also own a JVC rs45 for one month and an Epson 5010 for a couples of weeks. As you can see, I like to test and play with projector... Cant wait to try this one....

My screen is a 110 inch 16x9 with 1.0 gain. My room is a total black hole (no light and almost no reflection at all)

jslaw81 10-06-2012 09:39 AM

I'm curious to see your thoughts on the 50es as I also have an RS45 and am interested in the 50ES.

Scott B 10-06-2012 09:51 AM

The Mits 9000 is also on my short list, so any comparisons between it and the Sony HW50ES would be much appreciated. My main concern with the HW50ES would be if it gives up much to the 9000 on dark scenes (depth of blacks and shadow details).

RickAVManiac 10-06-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post

The Mits 9000 is also on my short list, so any comparisons between it and the Sony HW50ES would be much appreciated. My main concern with the HW50ES would be if it gives up much to the 9000 on dark scenes (depth of blacks and shadow details).

Thats my concern too...I still have the Mits HC9000 so I will run those tow projector side by side and compare the black level, image dynamic and sharpness.

conan48 10-06-2012 10:03 AM

hey Rick.



Also, any reason you didn't like the hw30 or the Epson 5010? Not sure if the Sony 50 will be much of an improvement over the Epson. I recently got the darbee, and it's pretty damn great! sometimes it feels like I bought a new projector for 200.00! I wonder if there will even be a benefit to me using Sony RC if I already have the darbee? They seem to do the same thing? Do you own a darbee by any chance?

When you try out the Sony RC, can you check if it has any effect on sharpness for text? The darbee "adds" detail but does it without ringing or over sharpening edges. The super rez on the epson seems to just over sharpen and is unusable at it's highest setting. Man, everyone should check out the darbee. They could have sold that thing in a nice big case for 1000.00 and people would have bought it. Enough about the darbee. LOL.

Was there a reason you got rid of the VW95? I loved the 2D on my VW90 but the horrendous 3D made it go back to the dealer.

RickAVManiac 10-06-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

hey Rick.



Also, any reason you didn't like the hw30 or the Epson 5010? Not sure if the Sony 50 will be much of an improvement over the Epson. I recently got the darbee, and it's pretty damn great! sometimes it feels like I bought a new projector for 200.00! I wonder if there will even be a benefit to me using Sony RC if I already have the darbee? They seem to do the same thing? Do you own a darbee by any chance?

When you try out the Sony RC, can you check if it has any effect on sharpness for text? The darbee "adds" detail but does it without ringing or over sharpening edges. The super rez on the epson seems to just over sharpen and is unusable at it's highest setting. Man, everyone should check out the darbee. They could have sold that thing in a nice big case for 1000.00 and people would have bought it. Enough about the darbee. LOL.

Was there a reason you got rid of the VW95? I loved the 2D on my VW90 but the horrendous 3D made it go back to the dealer.

The reason I sold my Epson 5010 is because I sit really close to my screen and can see the screen door effect. At that time, the Sony HW30 and Epson 5010 was side by side in my room and the Sony was clearly sharper due to the SDE on the Epson. But the black and 3D was better on the Epson.

I really hope the black is better on the HW50. Better black, sharper (RC), brighter and better 3D could lead to a overall well balance machine...

Sould be home is about 2h... Cant wait to install the HW50

jslaw81 10-06-2012 11:34 AM

How did you like the JVC RS45? Its my first JVC and I like it alot so far.. Its a little dark at times. Have not played with 3D yet. I was going to wait for the new RF emitter and glasses that are coming out. I went to the RS45 from an Epson 5010. I liked the 5010 but had a powering off issue where it would not power off unless I physically switched off the power supply. I complained and Epson sent me a brand new unit which I then sold.

zombie10k 10-06-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post


I really hope the black is better on the HW50. Better black, sharper (RC), brighter and better 3D could lead to a overall well balance machine...

Sould be home is about 2h... Cant wait to install the HW50

I'm curious to see what you think of the HW30 vs the HW50 with RC off. Since the claim that the lens is the same, I'm wondering if the better PQ is related to an optical block change or just a perception based on the RC sharpening.

skip 2D and go right for the 3D.... smile.gif

gpmbc 10-06-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

The reason I sold my Epson 5010 is because I sit really close to my screen and can see the screen door effect. At that time, the Sony HW30 and Epson 5010 was side by side in my room and the Sony was clearly sharper due to the SDE on the Epson. But the black and 3D was better on the Epson.
I really hope the black is better on the HW50. Better black, sharper (RC), brighter and better 3D could lead to a overall well balance machine...
Sould be home is about 2h... Cant wait to install the HW50

How close were you to your screen?

RickAVManiac 10-06-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

The reason I sold my Epson 5010 is because I sit really close to my screen and can see the screen door effect. At that time, the Sony HW30 and Epson 5010 was side by side in my room and the Sony was clearly sharper due to the SDE on the Epson. But the black and 3D was better on the Epson.
I really hope the black is better on the HW50. Better black, sharper (RC), brighter and better 3D could lead to a overall well balance machine...
Sould be home is about 2h... Cant wait to install the HW50

How close were you to your screen?

10 feets

xb1032 10-06-2012 03:39 PM

This should be interesting as it appears many other have this on their short list for an upgrade as well.

Art at projectorreviews said the contrast was noticeably better on the HW50 over the Epson 5010 so the iris must be working in 3D now. As others stated please pose black level impressions compared to your memory as compared the the RS45. Not sure how the Mits 9000 compares to it.

RickAVManiac 10-06-2012 05:01 PM

Ok, here we go first with the "classic" unboxing shot smile.gif

34019B7E-E647-451D-B1B0-A83CEB06F326-2708-00000461EDDC65A9.jpg

Free lamp with the HW50
9B41A8F9-8F32-4E73-B4C5-9B82A6E50EE1-2708-000004625C4A6E4E.jpg

The power cord
A093EDD5-E67E-45BA-B3B4-F7371EBE0261-2708-000004635EFED82B.jpg
Just kidding biggrin.gif

C1658885-D625-4562-A248-A09EA64D0677-2708-00000462FF297B1F.jpg

6C77232A-0FFE-4948-AEF1-CB61340C255C-2708-00000463E3F0DDEC.jpg

RickAVManiac 10-06-2012 05:14 PM

Ok,

I just watch many of my favorites movies clip to evaluate the projector. Of course it will take couples of days and many more testing but first impression is :

- The projector is noticeably brighter than the HW30. I measured 990 lumens (Cinema 1, high lamp and iris full open).

- The black level is noticeably better too.
- The image dynamic is better.
- The 3D goshting are still present
- The 3D brightness is really better. On my screen, the 3D is almost as bright as 2D
- The color in 3D are rich and saturated and the image dynamic is superb
- The RC in 3D give a amazing effect
- The RC in 2D have to be use with reserve (15-20 max for me)
- Last but not the least, the MotionFlow on low show less soap opera effect than the HW30 and VW95. I did my test on low and forget it was even engage.


Thats it for now...

More details and comparison to come...

Seegs108 10-06-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

This should be interesting as it appears many other have this on their short list for an upgrade as well.
Art at projectorreviews said the contrast was noticeably better on the HW50 over the Epson 5010 so the iris must be working in 3D now. As others stated please pose black level impressions compared to your memory as compared the the RS45. Not sure how the Mits 9000 compares to it.

I would say the comparison to the Mits 9000 shouldn't be commented on. From what I've read (and experienced on a Mits 7800D) the iris is way too noticable to use during most content. You can see it pop on and off on most scene changes and intra-scene as well. Sony has an exceptionally smooth iris algorithm and after owning two Epsons I'll say its not perfect but worlds better than Mitsubishi's implementation.

sanderdvd 10-06-2012 07:05 PM

Rick, can you already say something about the black level of the HW50 compared to the JVC RS45 (or any other JVC from the last 4 generations)

tigerfan33 10-06-2012 07:15 PM

Leave him alone.
He's busy playing:)

Ranger 10-06-2012 07:34 PM

I am interested in the comparison against the VW95. Thanks !

RickAVManiac 10-06-2012 07:44 PM

Here the famous Samy shot behind the 3D glasses (3D Cinema 1) :

B44A527D-F900-45A8-B91E-E23C8D138BC4-2708-000004A9D574EDC8.jpg

Look at the brightness and color... Not a dull picture... Amazing !

mech27 10-06-2012 07:53 PM

What type of screen are you using?

RickAVManiac 10-06-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech27 View Post

What type of screen are you using?

1.0 gain

RickAVManiac 10-06-2012 08:05 PM

Here the Grand Canyon shot :

6F299281-982E-4374-845F-96BE4BA16B1F-2708-000004AAAB84FD68.jpg

xb1032 10-06-2012 08:36 PM

From you pic on my LCD screen the pic doesn't look dimmed at all. Nice! The faint ghosting on the 3D Grand Canyon pic is noticeable but it's a huge step up from a JVC biggrin.gif. I'm glad I haven't seen 3D on a DLP..

We're anxious to hear more on those 2D black levels when you get a chance

zombie10k 10-06-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

- The 3D ghosting are still present

Can you turn down the iris on the camera? it's blowing out the highlights making it difficult to see the crosstalk. Is it similar to the HW30? I could see the bleed through of the right facing should on the mother with the purple shirt. In Grand Canyon, there is an outline of the tree against the sky. It was relatively subtle on the HW30 but still noticeable if we look.

Sammys-HW30-MV3D.jpg

grandcanyon-HW30-sonylasses.jpg

zombie10k 10-06-2012 09:31 PM

Eric - can I send you a link to a 3D ISO that is only ~250 MB? it will play back on your Micca 950 with no problem. It has a number of 3D test patterns including the infamous L/R patterns. I'd like to see the L/R shots if you have some time. thanks!

RickAVManiac 10-07-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Eric - can I send you a link to a 3D ISO that is only ~250 MB? it will play back on your Micca 950 with no problem. It has a number of 3D test patterns including the infamous L/R patterns. I'd like to see the L/R shots if you have some time. thanks!

Sure send me the link...

HiFiFun 10-07-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Ok,
I just watch many of my favorites movies clip to evaluate the projector. Of course it will take couples of days and many more testing but first impression is :
- The projector is noticeably brighter than the HW30. I measured 990 lumens (Cinema 1, high lamp and iris full open).
- The black level is noticeably better too.
- The image dynamic is better.
- The 3D goshting are still present
- The 3D brightness is really better. On my screen, the 3D is almost as bright as 2D
- The color in 3D are rich and saturated and the image dynamic is superb
- The RC in 3D give a amazing effect
- The RC in 2D have to be use with reserve (15-20 max for me)
- Last but not the least, the MotionFlow on low show less soap opera effect than the HW30 and VW95. I did my test on low and forget it was even engage.
Thats it for now...
More details and comparison to come...
2K liquid crystal will always have some residual 3D ghosting. 4K panels with passive 3D will have less.

You describe attributes not normally associated with Sony/SXRD (except for the 1000)

Sony explained their plan (to turn around the TV business) was to raise quality standards. The 1000ES and now the 50ES (and their latest flat panels) indicate they are succeeding.

Better black level, yet brighter. True progress.
Don't tell anyone but quality has been raised to the point where they obsolete the expensive model.

There must be optical improvements as the low Creation Reality setting is inversely proportional to optical resolution.

The reduced color pallet in 3D looks similar to DLP's brilliant color.

The most refreshing aspect of all is the absence of blind, brand-name loyalists pushing overpriced yet under-performing projectors.
Lets all hope and prey J*e stays with the 1000:p

tehotaone 10-07-2012 06:50 AM

Rick,

Does the 990 lumen value you measured look like a good viewing mode for 2d? Would it be a good starting point for a 3D calibration only?

Maybe I should know this, but is Motion Flow and Dynamic Iris available in 3d Mode?

Are there any improvements or changes to the Convergence tool?

That is all for now, we appreciate any details you may be able to give!

TJ


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.