Sony HW50 vs VW95 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Now that the HW50 is out and about (kind of) does anybody have the knowledge to be able to compare it to the VW95? I know the projectors are at two very different price points, but one is this year's model and the other is last year's, so I'd be very interested in how they compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
From what i've read & have been told the vw95 has better black levels (not certain how much) and a better lens which likely equals a sharper pic. However the HW50 has RC which should make the picture sharper as well. How the 2 compare in this regard is still uncertain.

AVS (Mike Garrett) has good pricing on the pre-order list for the HW50 so I'd get on that list if you think you might be interested. AVS also has B-Stocks on the VW95. I decided against the VW95 as I want better 3D than my JVC RS45. I've read mixed reviews with mention of crosstalk on the VW95 in 3D which has been listed as minimal on the HW30. Not certain if the DI works in 3D on the VW95 but it did not on last years HW30 but is active this year on the HW50. The HW50 should also be a much brighter projector as well.

I'm on the pre-order list for the hw50 and the RS46. I'll get one or the other depending on the findings of the HW50 in 2D.

Good luck!
post #3 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 12:44 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Not certain if the DI works in 3D on the VW95 but it did not on last years HW30

It works in 3D on the VW95
post #4 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioBar4U View Post

It works in 3D on the VW95

No, it does not work on the HW30, VW95 or the VW1000.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #5 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

From what i've read & have been told the vw95 has better black levels (not certain how much) and a better lens which likely equals a sharper pic. However the HW50 has RC which should make the picture sharper as well. How the 2 compare in this regard is still uncertain.
AVS (Mike Garrett) has good pricing on the pre-order list for the HW50 so I'd get on that list if you think you might be interested. AVS also has B-Stocks on the VW95. I decided against the VW95 as I want better 3D than my JVC RS45. I've read mixed reviews with mention of crosstalk on the VW95 in 3D which has been listed as minimal on the HW30. Not certain if the DI works in 3D on the VW95 but it did not on last years HW30 but is active this year on the HW50. The HW50 should also be a much brighter projector as well.
I'm on the pre-order list for the hw50 and the RS46. I'll get one or the other depending on the findings of the HW50 in 2D.
Good luck!

As Andreas21 says, the auto iris do NOT work in 3D on the 95ES and the minimal ( but sometimes visible ) ghosting on the 95ES is about the same level as the HW30.

I have the 95ES and later today, I will go and see the HW50.

dj
post #6 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

As Andreas21 says, the auto iris do NOT work in 3D on the 95ES and the minimal ( but sometimes visible ) ghosting on the 95ES is about the same level as the HW30.
dj
I you will see the HW50 later today, could you take good note on the black level in 2D and report back please? Could you also check if the auto iris will work in 3D on the HW50?
post #7 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

I you will see the HW50 later today, could you take good note on the black level in 2D and report back please? Could you also check if the auto iris will work in 3D on the HW50?

Yes smile.gif

Offcause it not a optimal/ 100 % comparison ( I will let Zoombie do that biggrin.gifwink.gif ) , but I do know my 95´s picture quality pretty good by now ( about 800 hours on it for now ) and had the 90ES before that ( and have had the HW30Es and 1000ES for test too ).

dj
post #8 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:

AVS (Mike Garrett) has good pricing on the pre-order list for the HW50 so I'd get on that list if you think you might be interested. .
Good luck!

Hi I've been actively reading all the buzz on the various new projectors for 2012. I'm looking to upgrade from a 720p screenplay 5700. Improved contrast/blacks and good 3d picture are my main features I'm looking for. I'm really impressed with the new Sony HW50 as seems to tick all the right boxes.

Is it still possible to register with AVS for ore release pricing, if so how. I did not see anything at the AVS store? Thanks in advance!
post #9 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Sanderdvd

Im not going to be popular now smile.gif but the auto iris do NOT work ( or can be activated ) in 3D mode on the HW50, if you ask me - not that I think the HW50 needs it !

more later one the black level / brightness.

dj
post #10 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM

yeah, i think so,the auto iris do NOT work in 3D on the 95ES and the minimal ( but sometimes visible ) ghosting on the 95ES is about the same level as the HW30. 91.jpg
post #11 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Quote:

Good luck!

dj

The VW95 have more ghosting than the HW30

I compare the two side by side.
post #12 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
HW50 vs VW95... It is really a tough call on this one.

Always the same thing... It's depend on your room, screen size/gain and personal preference.

HW50 as better :

- 3D
- Brightness
- Reality creation in 3D is amazing
- Reality creation in 2D varies from average to great
- Better MotionFlow (new motionFlow algorithm look less soap opera)

VW95 as better
- Black level (by a small margin. Need a complete black room to really see a difference)
- Less digital film look
- Maybe better even shaprness accross the screen (Athough, I dont notice that with the HW50)
post #13 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

The VW95 have more ghosting than the HW30
I compare the two side by side.

Rich

I did too smile.gif. ( and it was IMO allmost the same level, but if I had to pick a "winner". I agree, that it would be the 30ES

BTW. I did compare the hw50 against the 1000ES on the same screen today smile.gif ( but sadly, none of them was calibrated, so it was not a optimal situation, and therefore any conclusion would not be reliable )

Dj
post #14 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HW50 vs VW95... It is really a tough call on this one.
Always the same thing... It's depend on your room, screen size/gain and personal preference.
HW50 as better :
- 3D
- Brightness
- Reality creation in 3D is amazing
- Reality creation in 2D varies from average to great
VW95 as better
- Black level (by a small margin. Need a complete black room to really see a difference)
- Less digital film look
- Maybe better even shaprness accross the screen (Athough, I dont notice that with the HW50)

I agree on almost all of it.
At first, I thought. The black level on the 50 was on the same ( very.low ) level as the 95, but it was not, it was because the 50 had a much higher light output - very impressive BTW. - so the black looked " blacker " then it was in reality ( make sense? ), again I would rate it to be clearly better then the 30, but not up to the 95 or any JVC.

In 3D, the 50 was just as bright as the 1000ES eek.gif, and if I had to pick a winner for "brigthest" in 3D, it would be the 50ES! very impressive, but the motion and.Picture quality wasnt up to the 1000es. ( not that it should be anyway smile.gif ) in comparison it looked more "coarse-grained ". but again for the price, its hard to justify a 6 times higher price more for the 1000es if your main focus is 3D.

If. "you" have a big screen, a low gain / AT screen or like what a HP screen do for brightness in the picture and 3D is a main thing for you (. And you dont have a cinemascope screen wink.gif or a batcave or just NEED motorized lens,focus , memory settings etc. ) I would pick a 50 over a 95 ( and I own a 95 eek.gif )

IMO is the 50 very impressive and sony has done a lot right in this projector.

Dj
post #15 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projector Lad View Post

... Is it still possible to register with AVS for ore release pricing, if so how. I did not see anything at the AVS store? Thanks in advance!

AVS hasn't started shipping the projectors yet so you should be good to place a pre-order now. Give Mike Garrett a call.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:

AVS hasn't started shipping the projectors yet so you should be good to place a pre-order now. Give Mike Garrett a call.

Thanks. Mike has made contact, will call him in the morning!
post #17 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Interesting. Back when I was auditioning LCD TVs, I found Sony's MotionFlow implementation in their XBR8 series, if I remember correctly, to be nothing short of amazing. It would get rid of 24fps judder in the pans of 'Seven Years in Tibet' & other moving shots of 'Baraka' (particularly the shot of the volcano from above) without introducing any soap opera effect.

Meanwhile, Samsung TVs & others I auditioned had soap opera effect even at the lowest setting (guess I'm trying to say: I know exactly what soap opera effect is & I've very sensitive/averse to it)

And this was a couple years back.

I'd assume that they would've brought the same algorithms over to their projectors. So I'd be surprised if their, say, HW30 had soap opera effect at the lowest setting whereas their XBR LCD TVs years ago didn't.

Also, I assume you're not talking about the 'Film Projection' MotionFlow mode? That seems to have the Black Frame Insertion & that shouldn't introduce any soap opera effect. I wonder if that's what I was enabling on the XBR8 years back; I can't remember if the image dimmed or not.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I agree on almost all of it.
At first, I thought. The black level on the 50 was on the same ( very.low ) level as the 95, but it was not, it was because the 50 had a much higher light output - very impressive BTW. - so the black looked " blacker " then it was in reality ( make sense? ), again I would rate it to be clearly better then the 30, but not up to the 95 or any JVC.
In 3D, the 50 was just as bright as the 1000ES eek.gif, and if I had to pick a winner for "brigthest" in 3D, it would be the 50ES! very impressive, but the motion and.Picture quality wasnt up to the 1000es. ( not that it should be anyway smile.gif ) in comparison it looked more "coarse-grained ". but again for the price, its hard to justify a 6 times higher price more for the 1000es if your main focus is 3D.
If. "you" have a big screen, a low gain / AT screen or like what a HP screen do for brightness in the picture and 3D is a main thing for you (. And you dont have a cinemascope screen wink.gif or a batcave or just NEED motorized lens,focus , memory settings etc. ) I would pick a 50 over a 95 ( and I own a 95 eek.gif )
IMO is the 50 very impressive and sony has done a lot right in this projector.
Dj

Alright, so my situation is this: i currently have an HW30 throwing a 133" 16x9 pic on a DaLite hi power screen. Brightness is great, but i'm missing my black levels. 3D seems fairly bright on my HW30 at max throw.

Would you get the 50 or the 95?
post #19 of 23 Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

Alright, so my situation is this: i currently have an HW30 throwing a 133" 16x9 pic on a DaLite hi power screen. Brightness is great, but i'm missing my black levels. 3D seems fairly bright on my HW30 at max throw.

Personally, I would pick the VW95, since you are in good shape with brightness with the HP screen. I can go more in depth off the forum. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #20 of 23 Old 10-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would get the VW95 too with the HP screen but if you want better 3D go with the 50 plus you get the RC (aka Darbee) as a bonus smile.gif
post #21 of 23 Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Hey guys. Just want to bounce this off your collective heads. I currently own a 3 year old JVC. I'm thinking of replacing it with a more current gen of pj. The 95ES is on my radar. I have a 100" Stewart Firehawk screen. Any suggestions? Thanks.smile.gif

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #22 of 23 Old 10-11-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

whitetrash66

If the 2D is the main target (and black level a big priority ) I still pick the 95 ( if price was almost "comparable" = 95 not very more expensive )
if the 3D is main target ( or / and a very bright picture ) I pick the 50

the 95Es is a little less bright then your 30ES ( 95 in high lamp mode about the same as if you put your 30 in low lamp mode )
I have to say, that the 95 still has a more "quality feeling" all over than the 30/50, ( if you understand ? )

just my 2 cent

dj
post #23 of 23 Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
All these opinions are just guesses here until someone A/B's them. The vw95 will do darker blacks almost certainly, but the 50 might win in other areas.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page