Marantz VP11-S1 What Next? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Guys I've owned a VP11-S1 1080p single chip DLP projector for a few years. I've been very happy with it but have the upgrade itch. Wondering where to go next. My setup is 110 inch Stewart luxus grayhawk screen in a totally dark room. The projector is located on a shelf at the back of the room. I'm fairly limited by my 17 ft room length for throw distance.

The only real complaint with the Marantz is the brightness. I wish it was a bit brighter. I value the natural colors of the projector and the sharpness. I don't care about 3D but need it to handle gaming as good as the Marantz.

The only projector I saw recently was the Epson 5010 in a local best buy. It looked pretty good but was not really blown away. It didn't seem to be that sharp to me.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks
DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 98
What is your budget?

I would think a Runco LS-5 would be a good upgrade for you.

Or if you can afford it...

SIM2 Lumis

Or

SIM2 M150
djkiwi likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 292
The 11S1 is a great 1080p projector. If brightness is your issue the first thing I would recommend is replacing that screen, vice the PJ. The Grayhawk wasn't that great of a screen. And if you're room is totally black, you should think about something like a Studiotek 130 or if you really want some brightness even a high power (if your setup can support, there is more about this in the screen forums). This and a new bulb would probably give you the benefits you're looking for without the need to buy a new projector and would probably cost less.
djkiwi likes this.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #4 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

The 11S1 is a great 1080p projector. If brightness is your issue the first thing I would recommend is replacing that screen, vice the PJ. The Grayhawk wasn't that great of a screen. And if you're room is totally black, you should think about something like a Studiotek 130 or if you really want some brightness even a high power (if your setup can support, there is more about this in the screen forums). This and a new bulb would probably give you the benefits you're looking for without the need to buy a new projector and would probably cost less.

Thanks Kris, that's a great idea looking at the screen first. I've been wondering about my stewart screen for awhile and wondered whether it was a decent match. I've read about these high power screens on the forum but unsure how to match it to a projector. For example, you are obviously familiar with the marantz so how much gain would you think would work? Also any brands you would recommend? I'm in the Seattle area which is where you are so any shops you would recommend? I've just ordered a new bulb as well because the last one died at 2000 hours.

Thanks
DJ
post #5 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Not Chris, but it depends on mounting height of the projector. If you mount right above your head, you will get around 2.0 gain on the screen. There is a gain calculator for the High Power, but I can't remember if it was updated to fit with the 2.4 or 2.8 gain High Power. If you need any help give us a call.
djkiwi likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16

DJ-  Agree with Kris...for a few years I've been using my VP-11 with a Dalite High Power model B retractable [96" wide].  15' throw.

The through-the-wall PJ is directly behind the seats, so gain is maximized. It is very bright.  I never need to turn brightness controls higher than about 60% and I've never seen a hint of hot-spotting. The VP/HP combination seems like a marriage made in heaven.

Dalites are pretty reasonable expense-wise, but the pull-downs may have some wrinkle issues. Just so ya know.

djkiwi likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Just for the record, I have a 106" 2.8 gain HP screen with my Marantz. smile.gif
djkiwi likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfan View Post

DJ-  Agree with Kris...for a few years I've been using my VP-11 with a Dalite High Power model B retractable [96" wide].  15' throw.

The through-the-wall PJ is directly behind the seats, so gain is maximized. It is very bright.  I never need to turn brightness controls higher than about 60% and I've never seen a hint of hot-spotting. The VP/HP combination seems like a marriage made in heaven.

Dalites are pretty reasonable expense-wise, but the pull-downs may have some wrinkle issues. Just so ya know.

Solfan/Mike

Thanks for the responses. I think you guys are right these high powers are the way to go. The projector is right behind me about 1 ft behind my head on a shelf and we are viewing pretty much straight on. Mike, I'm assuming you have this one.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/da-lite_high_power_screen_review.htm

The problem is I'm not finding anything that resembles this on the Dalite site. I'm after a fixed screen around 110" rather than a pulldown. I'm reading they don't make these anymore?

UPDATE: Ok so I called Da-lite today and they recommended this contour 2.4 screen. It seems pretty good and they said if I go to active 3D in future this would work well with that as well. The other question is screen size. I'm using 110" now but was thinking about going to 120". Not sure how much brightness I'd lose with this. Do you think this screen would work well with the Marantz?

http://www.da-lite.com/products/product.php?cID=20&pID=234

I'm looking at the price list and they look to be about $1500
Cheers
DJ
post #9 of 17 Old 10-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

post #10 of 17 Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Hey DJ,

I'd give Mike a call. I'll bet he'll be able to give you all the details you need. Shouldn't be an issue going to 120" at all. Glad to see another Seattle member around here. Maybe we can meet up sometime!
djkiwi likes this.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #11 of 17 Old 11-13-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Guys, I know this is a bit off topic but wondering what you are doing for Marantz projector bulbs? I've purchased 3 in the last month and all have failed in 1 day. One I got on ebay and that pretty much melted inside. I've included a picture of what happened to the last one after 60 minutes. Anyone suggest a reliable source around $350?

Kaboom!

IMG_4009.JPG 3853k .JPG file

Thanks
DJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4009.JPG (3.76 MB, 13 views)
post #12 of 17 Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Were they genuine bulbs? Most bulbs on ebay aren't. They were most likely some type of bulb that wasn't meant for this specific projector. Different voltages are needed for different bulbs, hence the three that have broken on you.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, I got one off ebay and two from here. Both are for the projector.

http://www.focusedtechnology.com/ag-lu-12vps3-marantz.html

The company has very good to deal with and offered a full refund after the first one. They said they hadn't had any issues so far until this latest batch where myself and another customer had a failure. So we agreed to try another one and now that one blew up.

I've been through 2 original marantz bulbs so far with the projector and I got the full 2000 hours out of both of them.

Anyway it's a bit of a PITA as I've been without the marantz for over a month now. mad.gif

Cheers
DJ
post #14 of 17 Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Yeah, they say "OEM Equivalent". I would see if you can find an real genuine bulb. Not only will it work properly, it will also most likely last a lot longer and stay brighter longer as well.
djkiwi likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Yeah, they say "OEM Equivalent". I would see if you can find an real genuine bulb. Not only will it work properly, it will also most likely last a lot longer and stay brighter longer as well.

Hi Seegs, you are right there although the price is quite high I think. Do you know a source of original Marantz bulbs? When I purchased the projector it had a new original Marantz lamp and then when that one blew a friend gave me a spare lamp he had. Again this was original.

The was a guy on ebay called A1 Service center who used to rebuild them as good as new but he said he could no longer source the parts for that particular model. That was a shame.

Cheers
DJ
post #16 of 17 Old 11-15-2012, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Try calling Mike here at AVS, they probably have them. mike@avscience.com

585-671-2968

My last lamp was about $550... the carton is printed "MARANTZ LU-12VPS3 LAMP UNIT" with a detailed sheet showing VP-11 installation instruction.

Exorbitant price, yes, but genuine and I've had zero problems.

post #17 of 17 Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 AM

Liked: 10
I have bought my last two bulbs directly from Marantz parts dept. for a little over $300. I had an issue with flicker on one and they immediately replaced it. I rarely go to 2000 hours before replacing my bulb but I have never had a Marantz bulb fail.

You know, a guy could get into this HT thing and drop a couple of bucks!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Runco Ls 5 Projector , Sim2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page