Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 131 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3901 of 10288 Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Some additional info - The Epson 5020 calibrated through the glasses is still cranking out over 1200 lumens. When the lamp was new, it was closer to 1400.

This is the reason I went with the Epson. I like bright 3D and as the lamp ages I believe most here are going to have problems with 3D after 250 to 500 hours or so. That means replacing your lamp very early or substantially cutting your screen size to accommodate 3D and an aging lamp. I also have some very good sbs material and it looks fantastic on the 6020. Outside of the fact that the 6020 was significantly less expensive than the Sony and JVCs and had two pairs of glasses, extra lamp, a mount and a three year replacement warranty included in the price I can't think of a good reason why I bought it. biggrin.gif

I was concerned about convergence issues, but I was able to make some adjustments so that it looks pretty much as good as my DLP and better than my other three 3 panel projectors, which have pretty good convergence. The 6020 is not perfect, but for the money this thing rocks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 10288 Old 03-29-2013, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

This is the reason I went with the Epson. I like bright 3D and as the lamp ages I believe most here are going to have problems with 3D after 250 to 500 hours or so. That means replacing your lamp very early or substantially cutting your screen size to accommodate 3D and an aging lamp. I also have some very good sbs material and it looks fantastic on the 6020. Outside of the fact that the 6020 was significantly less expensive than the Sony and JVCs and had two pairs of glasses, extra lamp, a mount and a three year replacement warranty included in the price I can't think of a good reason why I bought it. biggrin.gif

I was concerned about convergence issues, but I was able to make some adjustments so that it looks pretty much as good as my DLP and better than my other three 3 panel projectors, which have pretty good convergence. The 6020 is not perfect, but for the money this thing rocks!

Didn't you have an acer 9500? How does the 6020 compare to that?
post #3903 of 10288 Old 03-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 644
A bit off topic (sorry), but I am hoping to get some opinions from the 3d gurus. smile.gif

Zombie or anyone else who has seen Kingdom of plants 3d narrated by David Attenborough, how is the 3d? I love Attenborough's voice work on the Planet Earth series and Kingdom of Plants was recommended to me as a strong 3d title, so was just curious if any of you guys have seen this and what are your thoughts on the 3d? At about 2.5 hours, there is lots of 3d material to soak up if this is a good disc and I usually enjoy these type of programs. Would love to hear any thoughts on this as far as 3d or anything else for that matter from anyone who has seen this.

Thanks!

EDIT: This disc has received a ton of rave reviews it looks like.........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B008368HXA/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_5?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=5&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3904 of 10288 Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I was OK reading the beginning of that review until I got to here:

Contrast: The AE8000 and the HW50 are roughly equal when it comes to black level, and both projectors look similar enough in this regard that picking them apart would be arbitrary and a little silly.

Color: Both projectors have accurate color right out of the box. The HW50's Cinema Film 1 mode is already close to 6500K without adjustment, as is the AE8000's Rec709 mode.

Those are not my observations.

My perspective:

Contrast - The Sony has a noticeable advantage in overall contrast and black floor. The Panasonic was one of the weakest in this regard this year compared to the other models in the shootout. If you see them both calibrated in a direct A/B, this is not hard to see.

Color - These 2 projectors are polar opposites in this regard. The Sony is one of the closest to D65/R709 out of the box, with usually greyscale needing attention. The Panasonic had some of the highest dE's out of the box and needed immediate attention with the calibration equipment.

White field uniformity - The HW50 has a significant advantage here over the Panasonic. The HW50 is not quite as good as my RS55, but it's a light year ahead of the 8000. This was noticeable to me in certain content like the Art of Flight and some B&W movies.

The HW50 imo is much better projector than the Panasonic 8000. The US price isn't that much of a difference if you factor in the extra lamp + extended warranty.

Sharpness- They mention several times how sharp the Sony is. Readers must understand this is exclusively due to the reality creation and not a result of a top shelf lens. There are noise artifacts with reality creation, but they can be mitigated with turning it down and using some of the filtering. This is why folks are chomping at the bit for a VW 95 V2.0. An excellent lens + reality creation is going to look great and more refined than the HW50 can currently display.

They should have been comparing the HW50 to the JVC RS4810 which is a closer match. The 4810 is more naturally sharp than the HW50 without e-shift. RC vs. E-shift will come down to personal tastes. The reality creation creates the sharp 'in your face' appearance which looks great with HDTV and most blurays. Some blurays you have to turn it off due to the noise in the background. I sit close to my 142" 16:9 so this becomes more obvious than it would on a smaller 100" or 110" screen.

I find the e-shift is more refined and has a more natural appearance, but in the default settings, doesn't have the 'pop' sharpness than the reality creation presents. If you play with the new settings, you can match the RC appearance, but at the expense of hurting the overall PQ. I would leave the 4810 at the factory e-shift settings and add a Darbee to get that extra edge of sharpness.

The Sony gets kudos for 1000+ D65 lumens. I hope they keep getting brighter each year.

Zombie
Can you point me to the link where you compare the Sony to the jvc rs46?
I watch almost always 2d and think the jvc may be better for me but can't decide between them and also the rs4810
Thx dano
post #3905 of 10288 Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

A bit off topic (sorry), but I am hoping to get some opinions from the 3d gurus. smile.gif

Zombie or anyone else who has seen Kingdom of plants 3d narrated by David Attenborough, how is the 3d? I love Attenborough's voice work on the Planet Earth series and Kingdom of Plants was recommended to me as a strong 3d title, so was just curious if any of you guys have seen this and what are your thoughts on the 3d? At about 2.5 hours, there is lots of 3d material to soak up if this is a good disc and I usually enjoy these type of programs. Would love to hear any thoughts on this as far as 3d or anything else for that matter from anyone who has seen this.

Thanks!

EDIT: This disc has received a ton of rave reviews it looks like.........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B008368HXA/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_5?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=5&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Yes, this is definitely worth getting a copy. They use a 3D IMAX camera with a special macro lens that was created for this video:

http://www.amazon.de/Bugs-A-Rainforest-Adventure-3D-Blu-ray/dp/B005DP814Y

The great thing about this video is the use of time lapse photography. Looking at exotic plants standing still gets a little boring, so they uses a ton of time lapse to show the growth of the plants. There is 1 cool part where they show a venus flytrap snacking on a fly and many other unique shots. The overall color is excellent, I recommend a calibration behind the 3D glasses for this video. Attenborough's skin tone looks nearly perfect when we have a D65 3D cal (he is visible in many of the shots as the narrator).

Josesph Clark would have a field day with this video. I didn't know this place existed until I saw this video.

Also for sci-fi fan, I highly recommend getting a hold of the UK version of 'The Terminator' reprint. it's 100 times better than the original US release. I watched this last night and it looked excellent for a film made in the early 80's.
post #3906 of 10288 Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Zombie, I am going to order it. I still need to calibrate behind the glasses so this will be good incentive.

post #3907 of 10288 Old 03-31-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am still waiting for my 'Art of Flight' 3D disk to arrive from Australia. It shipped out last week, I should get it in a week or 2. Can't wait to see how they did on the conversion.
post #3908 of 10288 Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

I am still waiting for my 'Art of Flight' 3D disk to arrive from Australia. It shipped out last week, I should get it in a week or 2. Can't wait to see how they did on the conversion.

My copy also shipped last week. I just hope that the disk is All Region and will play on American players.
post #3909 of 10288 Old 03-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

My copy also shipped last week. I just hope that the disk is All Region and will play on American players.

The reason I have not ordered it is because I thought it was not region free and would require me to mod my Oppo. Is the disc region free?

EDIT: Unfortunately, according to this thread at least, the disc is region B only.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=211437&page=2

post #3910 of 10288 Old 04-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

The reason I have not ordered it is because I thought it was not region free and would require me to mod my Oppo. Is the disc region free?

EDIT: Unfortunately, according to this thread at least, the disc is region B only.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=211437&page=2

It is region B locked unfortunately
post #3911 of 10288 Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbar View Post

It is region B locked unfortunately

a perfect reason to make an mkv, iso, or bdmv folder of the movie and play it through the oppo. oppo doesn't support hi-def audio via mkv though, so iso if you are pre-firmware iso fix or bdmv folder would work best. or get a mede8er which plays everything.
post #3912 of 10288 Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The mede8er is one best media players out there now. Perfect 23.976 playback in 3D and it handles 3D MVC MKV's like a champ. Finally an MKV format with HD audio and full frame packed 3D... !

With random access to 26+ TB of storage, my pile of BD players sits idle these days.

much progress has been made since the days of the PCH-A110 back in 2008 when playing back a raw M2TS file w/ HD audio was a big deal.
post #3913 of 10288 Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 77

Zombie, does this mean you don't subscribe to the purported deficiencies in video quality of the Realtek players vs Sigma?  Not trying to start a debate.  Just curious about your opinion given your extensive experience calibrating and reviewing as well as the fact it seems you've owned both? Disclaimer: I own an A-110 and C-200 and I'm trying to decide on a 3D streamer.  I'm in no rush so the current issues with the A-400 are less of a concern to me right now than overall video quality (assuming the new sdk from Sigma will eventually resolve the playback issues and 3D MVC mkv files will eventually be supported..I know, some lofty assumptions at this point!). 

post #3914 of 10288 Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

Zombie, does this mean you don't subscribe to the purported deficiencies in video quality of the Realtek players vs Sigma? Not trying to start a debate. Just curious about your opinion given your extensive experience calibrating and reviewing as well as the fact it seems you've owned both? Disclaimer: I own an A-110 and C-200 and I'm trying to decide on a 3D streamer. I'm in no rush so the current issues with the A-400 are less of a concern to me right now than overall video quality (assuming the new sdk from Sigma will eventually resolve the playback issues and 3D MVC mkv files will eventually be supported..I know, some lofty assumptions at this point!).

I still have my A-110 and C200's. I lost interest in PCH after the length of time it took them to get the C200 stable. It's hard to believe the A-400 issues, they had plenty of time to get this right.

Thankfully some other companies took a shot at this market. The next run was the Himedia 900b and the Micca 950B which were basically the same device. Good 1st attempt at 3D, but the firmware was a little buggy and they never figured out the 3D frame rate issue.

Then the mediator. These guys get an A for effort for the number of frequent firmware updates and overall stable platform. This player does everything I want right now which is fast playback of 2D and 3D ISO and 3D MVC MKV's.

imo, the overall PQ looks as good as my other players.
post #3915 of 10288 Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
What are your top 3 favorite 3D movies now after all the 3D you've seen, as far as 3D effects overall?

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3916 of 10288 Old 04-03-2013, 04:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I still have my A-110 and C200's. I lost interest in PCH after the length of time it took them to get the C200 stable. It's hard to believe the A-400 issues, they had plenty of time to get this right.

Thankfully some other companies took a shot at this market. The next run was the Himedia 900b and the Micca 950B which were basically the same device. Good 1st attempt at 3D, but the firmware was a little buggy and they never figured out the 3D frame rate issue.

Then the mediator. These guys get an A for effort for the number of frequent firmware updates and overall stable platform. This player does everything I want right now which is fast playback of 2D and 3D ISO and 3D MVC MKV's.

imo, the overall PQ looks as good as my other players.

I'm a PJ noob whose been lurking in this thread for some time, picking up advice from you guys, particularly Zombie, so thanks for that smile.gif

Finally bought an HW50 in the UK a couple weeks back and loving it (despite my awful set up: 3m squ room, white walls). Despite this it's picture is fantastic! Now trying to get a mount with extension, since the lens shift isn't as great as i anticipated and the PJ is sat centrally where i should be sitting frown.gif

On the subject of media streamers, i've got an A-400. As my first streamer i'm not really noticing it's much discussed short comings and just very happy to finally be able to stream mkv with dts at last, plus the image does seem crisper (i was previous using the usb input on a Humax pvr).

I've got it set up in the living room, but the PJ is in the spare room, so i was thinking about getting another one, but after reading your discussion above about the mede8er i'm wondering if i should go that way. Or is it better for continuity's sake to get another A-400.

I'm guessing i could probably use my current A-400 to simply stream to the spare room's PJ, but networking is not my strong point - took me several days just to get it streaming from my mac pro (in spare room) to the living room.

What i was hoping to do was simply use the PJ as a third monitor (HDMI) for my mac and play movies via VLC. Works great for 2D, but not SBS 3D. I'm prepared to be flamed if that was never going to work - i'm new to 3D too wink.gif
post #3917 of 10288 Old 04-03-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

The mede8er is one best media players out there now. Perfect 23.976 playback in 3D and it handles 3D MVC MKV's like a champ. Finally an MKV format with HD audio and full frame packed 3D... !

With random access to 26+ TB of storage, my pile of BD players sits idle these days.

much progress has been made since the days of the PCH-A110 back in 2008 when playing back a raw M2TS file w/ HD audio was a big deal.

Which Model do your prefer of the Mede8er. The 1000 or the 600. Is there any real difference beside being able to hold a Hard drive.
post #3918 of 10288 Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Which Model do your prefer of the Mede8er. The 1000 or the 600. Is there any real difference beside being able to hold a Hard drive.
If you have your own storage (nas, big external hard drives, etc) the 600 is slightly cheaper and in my opinion looks a little better because its square instead of shaped like a UFO. Other than that the two are identical.
I couldn't be happier with my 600. Jason is right, the firmware updates are the best I've ever seen. They literally update the beta a few times a week and are constantly working with customers to improve the product. It's incredible. And the jukebox is awesome.
post #3919 of 10288 Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I sort of want one, but the only thing stopping me is I don't watch movies usually more than once (other than a handful). So not sure how useful it would be to someone like me, would you think there is still some advantange?

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3920 of 10288 Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

Quote:

If you have your own storage (nas, big external hard drives, etc) the 600 is slightly cheaper and in my opinion looks a little better because its square instead of shaped like a UFO. Other than that the two are identical.
I couldn't be happier with my 600. Jason is right, the firmware updates are the best I've ever seen. They literally update the beta a few times a week and are constantly working with customers to improve the product. It's incredible. And the jukebox is awesome.

Is this relatively new?  I was researching a bit on the Mede8er 600X3D and see there are various ways to create the jukebox.  What I couldn't figure out is does the Mede8er have a built-in scraper or do you need to use YAMJ or something else to be able to generate files for its jukebox?  The reason I ask is that I would still have one PCH in my household which uses YAMJ and Aeon skin.  Could the two players share the same jukebox?

duncanc1 likes this.
post #3921 of 10288 Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I sort of want one, but the only thing stopping me is I don't watch movies usually more than once (other than a handful). So not sure how useful it would be to someone like me, would you think there is still some advantange?

I like it for the convenience of not having to load a disc plus it gives me the ability to change my mind (sometimes in the middle of a crappy movie!) and start playing something else at the touch of a button.  Even if you only watch movies once, having them available in a jukebox not only provides convenience but also protection against damaging the disc (and yes, I know this techincally isn't legal...yada yada).

post #3922 of 10288 Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 204
post #3923 of 10288 Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Here's Art's views:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/projector_awards_2013.php
Its funny how Art rated the RS56/X75 over the RS66/X95. I thought maybe cause of the price difference. The other may be better a better vaule, but the $25K was the top model
post #3924 of 10288 Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

What are your top 3 favorite 3D movies now after all the 3D you've seen, as far as 3D effects overall?

These are some of my favorites I use as demo material when checking out 3D on the various projectors in the review.

Animations - Sammy's Adventure 1 & 2, Legend of the Guardian, Wreck it Ralph

Action - Journey to the Mysterious Island, Resident Evil Retribution 3D

Music - Peter Gabriel with the New Blood Orchestra, Live in London

Dance/Fun - Street Dance 3D, Step Up 3D - both have great, natural color and creative 3D scenes.

IMAX - Ghost of the Abyss 3D, Hubble 3D; Kingdom of the Plants 3D, IMAX Bugs Rainforest Adventure (this is amazing to see the close up detail of the bugs in 3D)

The Art of Flight 3D should be here soon, I'm curious to see how they did on the conversion. The film technique was flawless so I expect the 3D will be one of the more impressive conversions.
post #3925 of 10288 Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

Is this relatively new?  I was researching a bit on the Mede8er 600X3D and see there are various ways to create the jukebox.  What I couldn't figure out is does the Mede8er have a built-in scraper or do you need to use YAMJ or something else to be able to generate files for its jukebox?  The reason I ask is that I would still have one PCH in my household which uses YAMJ and Aeon skin.  Could the two players share the same jukebox?
You need to use yamj to mede8er or something similar, but there are excellent tutorials on the mede8er forum that are easy to follow. You simply need to name the files correctly and press a button and yamj does the rest. The new three row jukebox looks incredible. Now the program I use is yamjtomede8er is strictly for mede8er but if your files are named correctly already for your pch then the mede8er might be able to use the XML data already created for its own jukebox. Not 100% on that but someone on the mede8er forum could tell you instantly I'm sure
jkasanic likes this.
post #3926 of 10288 Old 04-04-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

These are some of my favorites I use as demo material when checking out 3D on the various projectors in the review.

Animations - Sammy's Adventure 1 & 2, Legend of the Guardian, Wreck it Ralph

Action - Journey to the Mysterious Island, Resident Evil Retribution 3D

Music - Peter Gabriel with the New Blood Orchestra, Live in London

Dance/Fun - Street Dance 3D, Step Up 3D - both have great, natural color and creative 3D scenes.

IMAX - Ghost of the Abyss 3D, Hubble 3D; Kingdom of the Plants 3D, IMAX Bugs Rainforest Adventure (this is amazing to see the close up detail of the bugs in 3D)

The Art of Flight 3D should be here soon, I'm curious to see how they did on the conversion. The film technique was flawless so I expect the 3D will be one of the more impressive conversions.

watched life of pi yet ? mine just turned up in the mail smile.gif

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #3927 of 10288 Old 04-04-2013, 06:56 PM

Liked: 25
I'm so excited that I just ordered my JVC RS4810 & Darbee today from Mike. Can't wait to receive it! biggrin.gif

post #3928 of 10288 Old 04-05-2013, 01:50 AM

Liked: 14
I would like to know why one would get the 5020 over the W7000?
post #3929 of 10288 Old 04-05-2013, 04:40 AM

Liked: 54
Picture quality.
post #3930 of 10288 Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Can you post a link to where we can buy The Art of Flight in 3D?

Thanks
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page