post #3511 of 8764 Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

thanks for all the info. Looks like the Dune 3D is on a waiting list in the US, I might grab one just because I know they've had good success with the 2D models.

I have a nice little shuttle SFF box for my HTPC and PDVD + TMT5. I use them when in a pinch - meaning the other media players choke on a specific 3D Movie (like Sammy's Adventure 2). The problem is, I never found a good way to turn it into a jukebox, so I was always mounting the ISO, running the player via a mouse, etc. Not very HT friendly. I'll send you an email for some info on your setup. It might inspire me to hook up the HTPC again.

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Definitely off topic, so you may want to skip this.

I've had HTPCs for a long time, and I love them when they work. The problems usually pop up when the graphics card drivers are updated, or TMT or PDVD gets an upgrade, or sometimes even when I make other "innocuous" changes. Auto frame rate change doesn't work anymore, or I lose features, or 3D doesn't work. It's wonderful when everything goes as it's supposed to, but maddening when it doesn't. The next frustrating hiccup lurks right around the corner. I'll continue to have a HTPC for my main room. I have a mouse and keyboard on a small table right next to my seat, and a Harmony with Media Center codes. It's great. But if I can bypass much of the on-going drama with the Mede8ter, I'm looking forward to it. I don't mind BD Lite most of the time. More often than not, Blu-ray menus just bug me. Based on my early experiences, HD DVD provided a much friendlier user experience. I still find myself wishing it had won the format "war."

I'm totally with you both. It took me two years to get my HTPC to work, and I don't change or update anything without having a full image backup of the system. In fact, I rotate two images on two different hard disks, one called "known working" and another one called "latest".
I use iRule and MCE controller to control MyMovies/TMT with either my iPad, my iPhone, or my Harmony remote (which I don't use much since I got iRule) or a logitech dinovo if I need more extensive input.

Joseph, if the new Dune had support for full BD menus, I'd have bought one for all the reasons you just listed. But I want access to the bonus, extras, or chapters when using a calibration disk, as well as the ablity to choose between different versions of a movies. I also use AnyDVD HD which skips all the trailers, warnings etc, so you get the best of both worlds, direct acces to the movie/main menu AND easy access to bonus material/chapters when needed.

Anyway, it's definitely O.T. (apologies everyone) but if Zombie emails me, I'll give him all the info and if Joe is interested he can forward to him. I'm out now:).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 8764 Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

I'm totally with you both. It took me two years to get my HTPC to work, and I don't change or update anything without having a full image backup of the system. In fact, I rotate two images on two different hard disks, one called "known working" and another one called "latest".
I use iRule and MCE controller to control MyMovies/TMT with either my iPad, my iPhone, or my Harmony remote (which I don't use much since I got iRule) or a logitech dinovo if I need more extensive input.

Joseph, if the new Dune had support for full BD menus, I'd have bought one for all the reasons you just listed. But I want access to the bonus, extras, or chapters when using a calibration disk, as well as the ablity to choose between different versions of a movies. I also use AnyDVD HD which skips all the trailers, warnings etc, so you get the best of both worlds, direct acces to the movie/main menu AND easy access to bonus material/chapters when needed.

Anyway, it's definitely O.T. (apologies everyone) but if Zombie emails me, I'll give him all the info and if Joe is interested he can forward to him. I'm out now:).

Yes, AnyDVD HD's Speedmenu is great for skipping typical Blu-ray annoyances. More apologies. I'm out, too. smile.gif

Joe Clark

post #3513 of 8764 Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, so which bluray is in your opinion must have, reference quality to show of beauty of HW50 ? I already have Samsara, The Art of Flight, those are spectacular, so can i get any suugestions please ?

TNX
post #3514 of 8764 Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjugen View Post

Hi, so which bluray is in your opinion must have, reference quality to show of beauty of HW50 ? I already have Samsara, The Art of Flight, those are spectacular, so can i get any sugestions please ?

TNX

I like to use 'The Dark Knight Rises' for 2D, this is an excellent transfer. For 3D, I use 'Journey to the Mysterious Island' - this 3D film is razor sharp, colorful and has fun 3D effects.
post #3515 of 8764 Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Madagascar 3 is a clever and visually stunning 3D title.

Joe Clark

post #3516 of 8764 Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've discovered some disturbing things about the 600X media player. I'll be talking about them over in that AVS thread.

Joe Clark

post #3517 of 8764 Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I've discovered some disturbing things about the 600X media player. I'll be talking about them over in that AVS thread.

Go into the settings and turn 'BD MENU' to 'OFF'. I had the same issue where it claimed it wasn't a 3D device, etc. Once I turned it off, I haven't had this issue since.

since I switched over to NFS, I haven't had any skipping during 3D BD playback with DTS-MA.
post #3518 of 8764 Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Now I own Sony HW50 & JVC RS4810 and can compare them one by one. I bought 2nd hand HW50 from Avsforum member a week ago and installed beside RS4810.

Initial feeling about Sony HW50 was it's too bright. It's more than 24 fL even with manual IRIS closed down to 20% while RS4810 is 15fL with aperture -12 in the same room.
The default convergence of HW50 was very bad and panel alignment couldn't fix it perfectly since red was thicker than other colors and smearing red around white couldn't be hidden.
I could see some colorization with 1 or 2 pixel resolution test pattern even if not using zonal adjustment.. RC also doesn't mean anything when the default convergence is not acceptable because it can emphasize unnecessary pixels incorrectly. Sony has poor focus at each side. Maybe it's due to early production and sample variation?
The strong point of HW50 I can think now is brightness in 2d/3d, noise level and easy calibration for grayscale/cms.

I prefer JVC. My 2nd 4810 has better convergence, sharpness and focus at each corners. It's not perfect though.
post #3519 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Where's the Panasonic PT AE8000 vs Epson 5020 compare?
post #3520 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

Where's the Panasonic PT AE8000 vs Epson 5020 compare?

Hi, I'm working on this now and will have the info up in a few days.
post #3521 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjugen View Post

Hi, so which bluray is in your opinion must have, reference quality to show of beauty of HW50 ? I already have Samsara, The Art of Flight, those are spectacular, so can i get any suugestions please ?

TNX

Just picked up Skyfall yesterday and it looks fantastic thus far.

post #3522 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I agree, Skyfall is the best looking Blu-Ray to date on my X-55. It looks stunning! (and I never use that word)
post #3523 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
just got Skyfall today. Can't wait to watch the trilogy this weekend!!
post #3524 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 02:58 PM

freebits,

How big and what type of material is your screen? I'm trying to decide between the Sony and the JVC 46 for a 135-140 inch 16:9 Studiotek 130, so your thoughts are interesting to me. In the dark I think I will be fine brightness wise with the JVC, but would like to watch games with some low ambient lighting. Of course with the JVC's lens memory, its possible to have a memory for a much smaller picture on the bigger screen which would be fine. My room will have black screen wall and ceiling and an undecided dark color on side walls. Thoughts? Any input from you or other members is greatly appreciated!
post #3525 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFLUGSTA View Post

freebits,

How big and what type of material is your screen? I'm trying to decide between the Sony and the JVC 46 for a 135-140 inch 16:9 Studiotek 130, so your thoughts are interesting to me. In the dark I think I will be fine brightness wise with the JVC, but would like to watch games with some low ambient lighting. Of course with the JVC's lens memory, its possible to have a memory for a much smaller picture on the bigger screen which would be fine. My room will have black screen wall and ceiling and an undecided dark color on side walls. Thoughts? Any input from you or other members is greatly appreciated!

Mine is 110" ST130. I think 140" would need high lamp mode with JVC. It's not good idea to zoom out the image smaller than actual screen size.
When it comes to big screen, HW50 will fit better.
post #3526 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

Mine is 110" ST130. I think 140" would need high lamp mode with JVC. It's not good idea to zoom out the image smaller than actual screen size.

Thanks for the feedback. Almost sounds like you had a defective sample of the Sony. What were your impressions of the black level of the Sony vs. the JVC on the Studiotek? Why would you say zooming out for a smaller image just for a football game is a bad idea? Does it do any damage to projector or screen?
post #3527 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

I have a 150" elite screen lunette, with 1.1 cinewhite.
Had people over for the Super Bowl and had low ambient lighting in my bat cave.
It was more than bright enough for everyone present in Stage mode, with lamp on low.
There was absolutely no need to put the lamp in high mode. It would have been way too bright
post #3528 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM

Normally the brightness would be reduced more than 15% after D65 calibration. I'd maintain at least 12fL with whatever mode I choose.
Maybe it's OK to select the brightest mode like Stage if you don't mind non-calibrated grayscale. It can be brighter than calibrated mode but I don't know it's brighter than 12fL or so. It's subjective if you say it's bright enough.

I measured 0.006 cd/m2 with 0 IRE when Auto Iris Full and on/off ratio was around 17k :1. When manual Iris closed down to 20%, its black level was 0.015 cd/m2 and contrast ratio was roughly 4,500 :1.

I dont think zooming out will damage anything if it's watching sports games casually.
post #3529 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

I agree, Skyfall is the best looking Blu-Ray to date on my X-55. It looks stunning! (and I never use that word)
I agree with this also. Skyfall's the best-looking BD I've watched so far on my 4810. The Dark Knight Rises was great during the IMAX shots, but I thought it looked a little soft at times during the scope shots. Skyfall's is razor-sharp, super-detailed, and super-vibrant the whole way through.
post #3530 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM

@Schwa, did you get reply from Mike on RS4810 green issue?
post #3531 of 8764 Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 PM

Just watched my new Sony HW50, courtesy of Mike at AVS. On first impression, I'm very happy with my purchase. I'll need to spend some time calibrating it. However, out of the box, I'm very happy with the PQ on a wide range of sources. Thanks for all your help with making my decision, Jason and others.
post #3532 of 8764 Old 02-14-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I agree with this also. Skyfall's the best-looking BD I've watched so far on my 4810. The Dark Knight Rises was great during the IMAX shots, but I thought it looked a little soft at times during the scope shots. Skyfall's is razor-sharp, super-detailed, and super-vibrant the whole way through.

Watched Skyfall last night and agree the PQ is top notch. I was very impressed. The audio was also excellent.
post #3533 of 8764 Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Watched Skyfall last night and agree the PQ is top notch. I was very impressed. The audio was also excellent.

Have you considered blacking out the ceiling in front of the screen? My setup is very similar, large screen just inches from the ceiling. The difference is very dramatic before/after.
post #3534 of 8764 Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I was disappointed with the scope scenes of the dark knight rises
post #3535 of 8764 Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Have you considered blacking out the ceiling in front of the screen? My setup is very similar, large screen just inches from the ceiling. The difference is very dramatic before/after.

I have considered it but have concerns if it would loose its "look" as family friendly. It is my batcave, but the kids spend plenty of time down there as well and I want to keep a nice/open/friendly feeling. Something I will have to keep thinking about.

BTW, thank you for all your hard work. This thread helped me decide on the HW50 as it is my first projector. It has the best combination of gaming (lag), picture quality, price,etc.. that fit my needs perfectly.
post #3536 of 8764 Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I have considered it but have concerns if it would loose its "look" as family friendly. It is my batcave, but the kids spend plenty of time down there as well and I want to keep a nice/open/friendly feeling. Something I will have to keep thinking about.

BTW, thank you for all your hard work. This thread helped me decide on the HW50 as it is my first projector. It has the best combination of gaming (lag), picture quality, price,etc.. that fit my needs perfectly.

Here is what I did. This actually made a big difference. I could really tell when the OPPO screen saver would bounce around the screen, before I put up the black out portion it would reflect back on the screen, now it's greatly reduced.

I know this isn't perfect and I could black out the whole room, but it's not something I intend to do, but just this little bit, did make a difference. The best part was it was a $25 project that took an hour.

post #3537 of 8764 Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 57

^^^^ What is that material exactly?  It appears to be some sort of extruded plastic corrugate but I can't tell for sure.  In any case, I think my room would benefit from something similar as well.

post #3538 of 8764 Old 02-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Funny I am in the exact same boat! Would love to black out the ceiling but have to concurrently maintain the family friendly vibe you allude to above.
post #3539 of 8764 Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autreym View Post

Funny I am in the exact same boat! Would love to black out the ceiling but have to concurrently maintain the family friendly vibe you allude to above.

My set up is in the living room, so instead of making the room look oppressive for day to day use I'm planing on extending my screen pelmet then putting drop down black velvet roman blinds (and a panel that will pull across to cover the white ceiling). I've done experiments in the past using a simple 'tent' using black sheeting and this tripled my ANSI contrast so was a significant improvement in picture quality. This was the original experiment (though much else has changed in the room since):

You can see how light the side walls and white ceiling are but this 'tent' really made the room darker in terms of reflected light. The only issue was how fiddly it became to put up since I made it a bit too low and it would droop into the top of the picture and require further fiddling about with mid film, which got annoying in the end. If I can achieve a similar effect but perhaps at the push of a button (very James Bond biggrin.gif ) then I'll be very happy:

FYI This 'tent' comes out about 2 metres which is less than the screen width which is 2.8 metres

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3540 of 8764 Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

^^^^ What is that material exactly?  It appears to be some sort of extruded plastic corrugate but I can't tell for sure.  In any case, I think my room would benefit from something similar as well.

It's actually a fabric from Joanns and it's stapled to a piece of plywood that I cut.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page