Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 9760 Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 392
This isn't specific banding, it's just overall color field distortion in different areas of the screen. the Top is the most obvious.

I'm only calibrating the area of color that the meter can see, so even after D65 adjustments, you can still see the hints of red in the surrounding areas from the center. It's not really obvious in color films, but it's still there and seen in some black and white films and the white snow fields in The Art of Flight.

I'm glad I finally got a chance to see this model in person. thx to Ravex911 for offering the projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 9760 Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

This isn't specific banding, it's just overall color field distortion in different areas of the screen. the Top is the most obvious.

I'm only calibrating the area of color that the meter can see, so even after D65 adjustments, you can still see the hints of red in the surrounding areas from the center. It's not really obvious in color films, but it's still there and seen in some black and white films and the white snow fields in The Art of Flight.

I'm glad I finally got a chance to see this model in person. thx to Ravex911 for offering the projector.

Thanks. I know what you were describing above was with color uniformity issues, but I was just curious about vertical banding with LCDs and I assume this issue is a thing of the past now? Last LCD I owned was the Panasonic 900 and it had obvious and distracting vertical banding (same with my Z3 before it) and I was just curious if you or anyone else knew when this particular issue with LCD projectors was finally rectified which I assume it is by now, right?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3603 of 9760 Old 02-17-2013, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So far I love my HW50. Room isn't completed yet so its just being thrown onto a beige wall in my living room. One thing I did notice, shown in the poor picture below (i only have an iphone so sorry), is there appears to be a slight border thats a lighter haze than the actual projected image. This mainly shows on content that is very dark or all black. I don't know if this is some kind of reflection or if its actually an issue. This is my first projector, so I figured I would throw it out here to make sure its not a problem or something to really be concerned with. Kind of hard to see, but there is no screen or border here. This is all projected image.

AppleMark

post #3604 of 9760 Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 73
FWIW, my edges were crisp on a beige wall but I can't say I ever projected something with a black border as you have shown in your pic. Is the edge crisp with normal content?
post #3605 of 9760 Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

FWIW, my edges were crisp on a beige wall but I can't say I ever projected something with a black border as you have shown in your pic. Is the edge crisp with normal content?

You can see it on regular content if you walk up and look for it, but otherwise its not visible from the seating position. Screen looks crisp from there. If you walk up and really look though, its there. Faint, but there.

post #3606 of 9760 Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 73

In that case, I really can't confirm whether it's an issue or not.  With normal content (HDTV and BluRay) as well as the pattern screen, I don't recall seeing any issues.  I did look closeup on both types of content.  Did you check if the source content was affecting the image (i.e. HDTV vs. BluRay)?

post #3607 of 9760 Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 AM

Liked: 10
What is your view on this, once I have read that some guys deliberately set cooling settings to high altitude, so that cooling of projector is better, despite of noise and it does seems to be logical, so do any one of you practice this, to have cooling on high settings ? Do you see any disadvantage if I put my HW50 into high cooling mode ?
post #3608 of 9760 Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 580
My guess is that providing more air as would happen at a higher fan speed would over the long term make the projector operate longer without failure. On the other hand, running the fans on high probably would decrease the life of the fans. But it all depends and I suspect the fans ar high speed will outlast the life of the various LCD panels used in the JVCs and Sony's.

So go ahead, wear earplugs smile.gif and run the fans at high.
mjugen likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3609 of 9760 Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

My guess is that providing more air as would happen at a higher fan speed would over the long term make the projector operate longer without failure. On the other hand, running the fans on high probably would decrease the life of the fans. But it all depends and I suspect the fans ar high speed will outlast the life of the various LCD panels used in the JVCs and Sony's.

So go ahead, wear earplugs smile.gif and run the fans at hight
Thank you Mark, Sony at high cooling is not louder that my previous EPSON at normal cooling imho.
post #3610 of 9760 Old 02-20-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Can anyone suggest some 3d glasses for my r46.
post #3611 of 9760 Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

I got 4 pairs of xpands 104 for $25 each. They can be used with an usb attachment to the glasses for rf. I think its a great deal, plus they are very comfortable to me
post #3612 of 9760 Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 74
After a week, finally got around to watching Skyfall. Best quality I seen in a movie. Watch Sinister too, which looked great. Mainly dark scenes, which is perfect for the jvc.
post #3613 of 9760 Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

The XPand 104 work well if you have the IR emitter. With the RF emitter, I've been using the cheap Samsung SSG-4100GB without any problems. I would like to use the XPands with the RF emitter but cannot find the RF dongle to make them compatible with RF.
post #3614 of 9760 Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I need to watch both of those movies still. Hmm those Samsung are only 19.99 at my store. Are they any good at all
post #3615 of 9760 Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoguy1 View Post

The XPand 104 work well if you have the IR emitter. With the RF emitter, I've been using the cheap Samsung SSG-4100GB without any problems. I would like to use the XPands with the RF emitter but cannot find the RF dongle to make them compatible with RF.

Unfortunately the only place I've seen them is from Xpand at $39.95 each. This is almost more than the glasses alone.mad.gif

Clark
post #3616 of 9760 Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I had the HW50 and the PT-AE8000 next to each other last night in a direct A/B. The HW50 beats this projector in nearly every category except the automatic lens. cool.gif
Some observations:
2D PQ - HW50 has better perceived sharpness from seating distance with the reality creation (I recommend turning this down to 10 or minimum in 2D, ~25 in 3D mode)

Well, after 54 hours on lamp, I’m in love with Sony’s Reality Creation, especially in 3D. I use it in most of movies, but I would say RC settings in 2D depends on source, and sometimes even on exact scene. With some of movies RC even on 20-25 does good job. Picture appears clearer, really sharper, more shadow details. In some 2D I prefer RC on minimum, in another I turn it of because of noticeable noise.
Few days ago I took my friends Nikon D800 and made some shots. Here is some 2D screenshots with RC on/off.
Content is BDMV, BD remux, BD iso.
Player - Pioneer BDP-440 and Kaiboer k830i.
Image diagonal 160”. The screen is MW.
Lamp on low, settings are almost same that you recommend above, on some photos gamma on “gamma 7” and "color space 3" I believe.
District 9 is movie which has a good relationships with RC. Here RC 25.

Game Of Thrones, RC 10.

With Avengers and Hugo it was on Minimum I guess...

And here I prefer to turn off the RC. Fifth Element.

post #3617 of 9760 Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

RICH WATCHES 3D, FINALLY...

Embarrassingly enough, after owning the JVC RS55 (my first 3D projector) since it came out, I only just viewed my first 3D material on the thing! This was due to the fact that I had some more complicated wiring issues to get 3D to my projector which made meput it off for a long time. Now having finally done the wiring I put on some test material.

I watched some of Finding Nemo in 3D and Avatar. My reaction: Well...kinda cool, but nothing life changing. I didn't find that 3D added tons to the experience of Finding Nemo, which looked sharper and more vivid in 2D. Avatar being made in and for 3D certainly benefited more. Some scenes were really awesome in 3D. When some people say 3D should only project depth back into the screen rather than forward toward the audience, I heavily disagree, and as an example refer to the white, floating spores (or whatever the hell they are) float down and surround Jake and Neytiri, with the spores coming right off the screen in front of you. I vividly remember this as being a pivotal "wow, 3D CAN add to the experience" moment in the theater, so it was gratifying to re-experience it at home.

But overall I came away with the impression that I don't care too much about the 3D experience, at home anyway. My eyes still feel like they are going cross-eyed for a while when watching with those glasses. Images aren't as vivid and sharp and certainly the brightness loss hurts as well. Also, playing with screen sizes in my system, zooming the image to various sizes, shows me why I've never once been interested in watching our 3D flat screen in 3D. It's just too small. Even on my projection screen I kept feeling like I needed a cinematic-type immersion to really make the 3D more immersive and less a novelty I'm viewing on a small square in front of me. So for me, at my 10ish foot seating distance, I wanted the screen to be at least 105" diagonal, if not 110" and beyond.

I know the JVC is often dissed for it's 3D performance, so I know that better 3D is possible at home. Mostly the experience feels promising but not there yet. Then again, that's how I usually feel with 3D even at good theaters. The other thing is, I've been trying to increase the image dimensionality effect with 2D by treating my room - which is a "bat cave" surrounded by black velvet for movie viewing, the image floating in black. Watching even Avatar with and without 3D, the sense of depth achievable with 2D is so good that one hardly misses 3D. For instance the shots of the space station fly-overs in the opening scene had an almost identical sense of depth in 2D vs 3D.

Anyway, that's my extremely-late-to-the-party experience.

I agree with you. Part of this has to do with ones room. It makes a big difference when your room has dark non reflective surfaces. The opening scene of Avatar with the space ship coming toward you looks just like it is coming out of the screen in 2D.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3618 of 9760 Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Rich. To me the 3D experience should be the same as if you were there with your eyes which of course many times the there is CGI and not actual. but anyway. The floating seeds or whatever. Yes. Its what you would see if the there was real and you were there. my problem with much of the 3D in avatar unlike that in sat Hugo which I strongly recommend you purchase and watch, is giving three dimensionality to objects at a range where no 3d would be noticeable in real life. Our ability to see anything with deptgh depends on how far away we are from the object. because are eyes are very close together an object needs to be only a short distance away before you will not see any depth in it.
this distance is probably something less than 50 ft away. but simply lok at any object with two eyes and then cover one eye. besides it being dimmer do you perceive the object any differently.

anyhow do try Hugo. the 3d is really good and you will enjoy it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #3619 of 9760 Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf.0088 View Post

Well, after 54 hours on lamp, I’m in love with Sony’s Reality Creation, especially in 3D. I use it in most of movies, but I would say RC settings in 2D depends on source, and sometimes even on exact scene. With some of movies RC even on 20-25 does good job. Picture appears clearer, really sharper, more shadow details. In some 2D I prefer RC on minimum, in another I turn it of because of noticeable noise.

thanks for the feedback, I think most who have seen the HW50 will agree. The RC is very good for most content, but there's definitely some content where it needs to be turned off.

Our larger screens (142" + 160") may be a contributing factor. This is why I made a choice to stay with the RS55 this year, the e-shift is good enough to leave on all the time, regardless of the content. It's more subtle with noise than RC is.

I would like to have seen more RC controls, similar to how JVC increased the controls with e-shift 2. There's many dynamics to the PQ that RC is changing in the attempt to improve the perceived sharpness. Extra controls would allow this to be tuned to perfection. Sometimes 'minimum' setting is still too much. 5th element is a good example.

My only complaint to Sony this year is that they need to turn down the FI in 3D. I watched about 5 hours of 3D the other night after calibrating an HW50 and the FI is a bit too much for my preferences. I used to brag about this feature on the old HW30, but it seems the overall process has been increased this year. It appears more like 'medium' if there was such a setting.

enjoy the projector, it's one of the best, well balanced 2D/3D models out right now in this price category. The calibration of this model is a dream compared to some of the other projectors.
post #3620 of 9760 Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder how one could down frame interpolation. basically it insers a new frame inserted between two of the original frames Sort of like deinterlacing but its done from two p frames. There are cobinations were new frames and black frames can bother be inserted but I am not sure how it could be turned down except perhaps by naking the generated frames less bright than the original. I think that is possible. It also has something to do with how long each frame is viewed by the interval the glass shutters are open. Your thoughts?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #3621 of 9760 Old 02-22-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:

I wonder how one could down frame interpolation. basically it insers a new frame inserted between two of the original frames Sort of like deinterlacing but its done from two p frames. There are cobinations were new frames and black frames can bother be inserted but I am not sure how it could be turned down except perhaps by naking the generated frames less bright than the original. I think that is possible. It also has something to do with how long each frame is viewed by the interval the glass shutters are open. Your thoughts?

I think their version of "turned down" was intended to be the film mode so to speak with the DFI. Sadly, there is just too much flicker on 24p content to make it watchable for me.

post #3622 of 9760 Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by havok2022 View Post

I think their version of "turned down" was intended to be the film mode so to speak with the DFI. Sadly, there is just too much flicker on 24p content to make it watchable for me.

That's how it's supposed to look. That flicker is to make it look like true 24fps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey
post #3623 of 9760 Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

there are different user settings for the FI so there must be something in the programming that affects how aggressive the FI appears.

It was less aggressive and more natural appearing in the HW30 vs. HW50, several others who have seen both have made similar comments. certainly not a dealbreaker, just curious why they chose to turn up the wick in the refreshed model.
post #3624 of 9760 Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM

"These go to eleven".
post #3625 of 9760 Old 02-23-2013, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just pulled the trigger on a Sony hw50es. It won't ship until Monday so I have until then to change my mind and go in another direction. I'm coming from an epson 5010 and initially planned on getting a 5020 until I read through this thread. I would be open to spending more on the jvc rs55 if it would be a better projector for my situation.

I mainly watch directv high definition tv shows (30 hours a week) blurays (one a week) and 3d content an average of only once a month if that so 3d performance is not high on my priority list.

The room is 17.5'x13.5'. The throw distance is 16'. This is not a batcave and I do watch tv during daylight hours. The curtains block most but not all light. There are windows on the right wall and behind the projector. Current wall colors are flat beige except for wall where the screen is mounted is a darker red/brown. There is also a mirror on the back side (closer to the projector side) of the left wall. Ceiling is white. I am open to painting part of the ceiling black in front of the screen. How much of the ceiling should I paint black? (In feet). The screen is mounted with the frame less than an in h from the ceiling, projector will be ceiling mounted. The screen is a 123" 16:9 Stewart firehawk 3g. Did I make the right decision purchasing the Sony hw50es or should I switch to a factory refurbished jvc rs55 or epson 5020ub or other suggestions? Sony 95? Also, coming from the epson with an automatic lens cover I've never had to deal with a lens cover. If I stick with the Sony should I cover it after every use even though it will be used daily? Can I cover it directly after shutting off the projector or do I need to let it cool down?

Thank you for your input guys. As a side note I also ordered one of the open box darbee darblets from solid signal on Friday so that will be in my chain as well. I'm using a Denon 4311 as a pre/pro.
post #3626 of 9760 Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Also, I don't know the first thing about calibration so I will only be calibrating using the Disney WoW disk. One last question. Is the chromapure auto calibration packages clearly worth the $$? I was looking at the one for $769, eyeone advanced 3 pro with advanced autocalibrate. And is this software truly automatic and for someone with no experience.
DrZaus likes this.
post #3627 of 9760 Old 02-23-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The HW50 is a good choice for this setup. The lamps are the least expensive of the current models which helps if you rack up the hours.

Don't worry about the lens cover, it's not necessary to cover it. For the ceiling, ideally you would have it black at least 1 screen height. My screen is relatively large and is also very close to the ceiling. Reducing the light here makes a big difference with perceived contrast.

Set it to user 1, D65, Rec 709 and the gamma @ 2.2 which gets you a decent out of the box setup. The reality creation setting is a little high from the factory, I usually turn it down to below 10 or as far as 'minimum'. The RC @ minimum + Darbee @ 25-30 looks nice.

I also have the Denon 4311 as well. I was going back and forth between this model and the Pioneer SC-68, but I like the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 for my multi-sub setup so I moved the Pioneer to a TV room.

regarding the autocal, you would need a Lumagen Mini 3D processor to go along with that kit for the autocalibrate. This isn't really necessary on the HW50 since it's has very good out of the box settings compared to the other models this year. Just the calibrated D3 meter and Chromapure standard kit is all you need to tune the projector. The workflow in CP is easy to follow so even beginners can get the hang of after a day or 2 of tinkering.
post #3628 of 9760 Old 02-23-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidibecker View Post

I would be open to spending more on the jvc rs55 if it would be a better projector for my situation.
Do you mean the X55/RS48/RS4810? The RS55 is last year's model (it aligns with the RS56 in this year's JVC line-up) and, unless you're looking for a used projector, you'll likely be spending quite a bit more for the RS55 vs the X55 -- the RS55's MSRP is $8K compared to the X55's MSRP of $5K.

EDIT: Oops, didn't read your entire post; see that you were indeed considering a used RS55. I'd be inclined to go with Zombie's recommendation, but the RS4810 is also worthy of your consideration.
post #3629 of 9760 Old 02-23-2013, 05:04 PM

Awesome. Thank you for the quick response zombie. So keep the order for the hw50 over getting jvc rs55 for my setup.
post #3630 of 9760 Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 PM

I will paint the front portion of the ceiling black. Does that change opinions? Jvc or Sony... Want best projector for 2d performance for directv HD
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page