post #3811 of 9087 Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The glasses arrived sooner than I was expecting. They seem to fit well over my prescription glasses. I'll let you know how they perform later tonight.

benq-glasses.jpg

Are these rechargeable? Very little info listed on any site's description.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 9087 Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Are these rechargeable? Very little info listed on any site's description.

Thanks

Hi, these are powered by the 2032 'coin' batteries. I personally prefer this because I am always forgetting to charge my glasses. I have a ton of these 2032 batteries and just swap them out once in a while. They seem to last a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3813 of 9087 Old 03-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi, these are powered by the 2032 'coin' batteries. I personally prefer this because I am always forgetting to charge my glasses. I have a ton of these 2032 batteries and just swap them out once in a while. They seem to last a long time.

Thanks for the reply.

I figured they weren't. I'm not too keen on having to buy replacement batteries. Might have to go with the True Depths. I like how these seem to be difficult to break synch though.

Tough decision, whereas if they had just made these rechargeable (hello 2013 lol) it would be a no brainer.

Thanks again for the hands-on and the reply.

post #3814 of 9087 Old 03-18-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I agree with Zombie that rechargeable batteries are no big deal since the 2032's are so cheap. One can buy 50 for $10 on Amazon. I have also had the batteries in rechargeable glasses go bad and that is the end of the glasses.

I also just found out that 3D Active just received their new rechargeable 144k DLP glasses. I just ordered a pair and will report back when I receive them. I had a pair of their other glasses and they were the most comfortable ones I had found.
post #3815 of 9087 Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Were you watching Art of Flight with the built in 2D -> 3D conversion? The true 3D version isn't due out for a while.

the built in processing will look average at best. Did you try it with any native 3D blurays? The RF signal shouldn't be an issue to lock on, perhaps the glasses had a weak charge.

The JVC's do not automatically select the correct color profile when 3D mode is engaged, you have to manually select the correct profile. When choosing the 3D mode, I would change the color profile from 3D to natural. It's way over-saturated with the default settings.

The new JVC's can definitely benefit from a calibration in 3D (with the glasses behind the meter) since the dE's are relatively high with the out of the box settings.

thanks as always zombie, not 2D to 3D conversion. art of flight 3D was released in the theatres late last year and on blu-ray here in oz little while back,

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/art-of-flight-the-blu-ray-3d/dp/6119465

not seen that before but a good watch. have you seen life of pi as yet seems to be a reference viewing for both 2D and 3D. mine just shipped from amazon smile.gif

thanks for reporting back re glasses, yeah defnitely possible just low in charge. good to know natural is good out the box. seems a pity jvc require to manually select colour presets. youd think like other pjs it would hold a colour preset so when detecting 3D would just select the correct colour preset ? otherwise would be a bit messy in use ? certainly not just case of stick disc in and hit play smile.gif

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

post #3816 of 9087 Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

thanks as always zombie, not 2D to 3D conversion. art of flight 3D was released in the theatres late last year and on blu-ray here in oz little while back,

not seen that before but a good watch. have you seen life of pi as yet seems to be a reference viewing for both 2D and 3D. mine just shipped from amazon smile.gif

thanks for reporting back re glasses, yeah defnitely possible just low in charge. good to know natural is good out the box. seems a pity jvc require to manually select colour presets. youd think like other pjs it would hold a colour preset so when detecting 3D would just select the correct colour preset ? otherwise would be a bit messy in use ? certainly not just case of stick disc in and hit play smile.gif

Besides the projector specific issues you mentioned, how is the 3d in The Art of Flight? I would have to mod my Oppo to even import and watch it so I doubt I will do that, but I am still curious how the 3d turned out. I love this disc!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3817 of 9087 Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I agree with Zombie that rechargeable batteries are no big deal since the 2032's are so cheap. One can buy 50 for $10 on Amazon. I have also had the batteries in rechargeable glasses go bad and that is the end of the glasses.

I also just found out that 3D Active just received their new rechargeable 144k DLP glasses. I just ordered a pair and will report back when I receive them. I had a pair of their other glasses and they were the most comfortable ones I had found.

How long do these CR2032 batteries typically last before needing to be replaced? How long did your rechargeable glasses last before the battery wouldn't hold a charge?

post #3818 of 9087 Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

thanks for the information, I just imported a copy of the Art of Flight 3D, this is one of my favorite reference 2D blurays.

I have life of pi 3D, I haven't had the chance to watch it yet.

The Sony HW50 switches automatically between 2D and 3D calibrations which makes it completely hands off when switching modes. JVC should change this in future models to make it easier for 'plug and play' 3D.

post #3819 of 9087 Old 03-19-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How long do these CR2032 batteries typically last before needing to be replaced? How long did your rechargeable glasses last before the battery wouldn't hold a charge?

it seems like my rechargeable glasses run out quicker than the 2032 glasses. If i go a few weeks without a charge, sometimes I get stuck having to do a 'quick charge' (just 20-30 minutes will usually last a movie or 2)

The coin batteries can last a pretty long time when they aren't in use. I wish they all used the battery as my original Monster VIsion 3D's are shot and I have to take it apart to see if I can replace the custom battery.

post #3820 of 9087 Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

it seems like my rechargeable glasses run out quicker than the 2032 glasses. If i go a few weeks without a charge, sometimes I get stuck having to do a 'quick charge' (just 20-30 minutes will usually last a movie or 2)

The coin batteries can last a pretty long time when they aren't in use. I wish they all used the battery as my original Monster VIsion 3D's are shot and I have to take it apart to see if I can replace the custom battery.

How many hours would you guess a CR2032 gives you of movie watching? Have you had a rechargeable pair die on you completely, and if so, how many months did it take?

Just trying to gauge if the 2032's last longer before they need changing than a rechargeable pair lasts before it can no longer hold a charge.

post #3821 of 9087 Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Zombie for the advice on adjusting the Benq glasses. Mine arrived today from B&H photo in NY. They have them in stock at $79.99.

They are very uncomfortable out of the box. I used a heat gun to adjust them and they now fit fine. One has to be very careful with the heat gun it only takes a few seconds to heat the plastic to make adjustments.

I have briefly compared these glasses to the True Depth and Sansonic. The new Benq seems to block the light the best but the True-Depth glasses are not bad at all. Will do more testing later. I also have a pair of the new 3D active coming soon,.

I also like the fact that the glasses use the button 2032 cell. They are very cheap and one can find 100 for about $10 on Amazon. Better than a rechargeable one that can go bad.

Has anyone tried the Monoprice DLP glasses. They look nice and one review states that they work with the Benq 1070.
post #3822 of 9087 Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Zombie for the advice on adjusting the Benq glasses. Mine arrived today from B&H photo in NY. They have them in stock at $79.99.

They are very uncomfortable out of the box. I used a heat gun to adjust them and they now fit fine. One has to be very careful with the heat gun it only takes a few seconds to heat the plastic to make adjustments.

I have briefly compared these glasses to the True Depth and Sansonic. The new Benq seems to block the light the best but the True-Depth glasses are not bad at all. Will do more testing later. I also have a pair of the new 3D active coming soon,.

I also like the fact that the glasses use the button 2032 cell. They are very cheap and one can find 100 for about $10 on Amazon. Better than a rechargeable one that can go bad.

Has anyone tried the Monoprice DLP glasses. They look nice and one review states that they work with the Benq 1070.

good deal on modifying them. I was going to use a hairdryer.. the heat gun means business... smile.gif

How was the syncing on your projector? did it hold the signal well even when moving around?

post #3823 of 9087 Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I saw that they last around 150 hours on the Sharp 4100. That's a lot of 3D movies! That was posted somewhere in the listing by Sharp.
post #3824 of 9087 Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

good deal on modifying them. I was going to use a hairdryer.. the heat gun means business... smile.gif

How was the syncing on your projector? did it hold the signal well even when moving around?

I had the sync drop for a second when I turned around. . As expected sync immediately returned. I was comparing them to the True Depth which also sync quite well. They both block the red flash quite well. I also tried the cheap OKBA glasses. They are really light and comfortable but they don't block the red flash nearly as well. I would suggest again as you say that using a heat gun "means business" and one must be very careful leaving in on for only a few seconds at a time of one needs to adjust the Benq glasses. As I and others have said the Benq are much too tight out of the box.

I also just received the 3D Active DLP glasses from Dimensional Optics. They are the same as the True Depth but are $20 cheaper for two. The come with a nice hard case and with AC USB power adapters. If anyone is interested in these glasses I suggest that you call them directly and ask for the new 144K version. Also ask for free shipping on two or more pairs.

I have briefly compared them to the Benq glasses and they are very close in blocking the red flash. They also seem to hold the sync quite well in my dark room and are about half the price of the Benq's. They are also much more comfortable over glasses.

Doing a little more testing I did have several experiences with the sync dropping out with the Benq's. I was doing A-B tests with the new 3D active glasses and they are both very close. I never lost sync with the new 3D Active ones. I really feel they are the best value considering the nice case they come with and the power adapter. They are also rechargeable which is no big deal for me.
post #3825 of 9087 Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

thanks for the information, I just imported a copy of the Art of Flight 3D, this is one of my favorite reference 2D blurays.

I have life of pi 3D, I haven't had the chance to watch it yet.

The Sony HW50 switches automatically between 2D and 3D calibrations which makes it completely hands off when switching modes. JVC should change this in future models to make it easier for 'plug and play' 3D.

thanks for info re the sonys zombie. pity I dont think one would fit in my system. what you have life of pi and not watched it as yet ! what are you doing ! am keenly looking forward to how you find it 2D and 3D hehe. this is pure eye candy apprently hehe

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

post #3826 of 9087 Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Adding the Sharp XV-Z30000 to the mini-shootout thread, special thanks to AVS member Ranger for sending his personal projector in for a review!!

my first comment, the Sharp 3D glasses are near perfection. Perfect fit over my glasses, nice large lenses and the 2D / 3D switch is very cool. They sync immediately and hold a lock with no issues.

Plenty more to come later on, it's going to take a few days to go over the unit.

sharp.jpg
Elix likes this.

post #3827 of 9087 Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Nice! I'm hoping you have a lot of nice things to say about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #3828 of 9087 Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking forward to it. Apparently the lens cover is removable as well in case you want that last bit of sharpness/contrast it is capable of.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #3829 of 9087 Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The lens cover does come off, but something interesting, it won't let you use the lens shift controls when the cover is off. A message pops up saying 'install lens cover'

I took it off for now (after making my shift adjustments). I think it was causing some reflections on my ceiling. The center lens setup is right at home on an HP screen, same as the W7000.

I'm checking out some of the color modes in 2D to see which is closest to D65/R709.

post #3830 of 9087 Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

my first comment, the Sharp 3D glasses are near perfection. Perfect fit over my glasses, nice large lenses and the 2D / 3D switch is very cool. They sync immediately and hold a lock with no issues.

sharp.jpg
I'm as eager to see your review as to receive my own unit! (almost biggrin.gif) Great info on 3D glasses already, thanks. I wonder if using RF glasses with MV3D IR-RF transceiver will provide any benefits in PQ.
post #3831 of 9087 Old 03-21-2013, 04:33 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

The lens cover does come off, but something interesting, it won't let you use the lens shift controls when the cover is off. A message pops up saying 'install lens cover'

I took it off for now (after making my shift adjustments). I think it was causing some reflections on my ceiling. The center lens setup is right at home on an HP screen, same as the W7000.

When table mounted that lens shift message is easy to defeat. If you look closely at the bottom right corner of where the lens cover attaches you will find a small hinged switch that is recessed a bit (it gets pushed in by a plastic tab on the lens cover). Simply take a piece of folded up paper (a business card is a great start as it is sturdy enough to not bend) and place it in the recess depressing that switch. I just wedged the paper in that recess and cut it long enough so the other end sits on the table. I does not take much force at all to move the switch, this fix takes all of 30 seconds.

Now you can use the lens shift all you want with that cover removed. smile.gif
post #3832 of 9087 Old 03-21-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is it really worth removing lens cover? Isn't it better to always have the lens dust/scratch-free?
post #3833 of 9087 Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 AM

Does anyone on here have to use an extension cord with there projector? and is there any drawback with using one. I have an outlet in my ceiling for my projector that i now use but a friend brought over his Richard Grey power company and i plugged my sony 50 into it and i seem to be happier with the picture quality while using it, so i'm thinking about running an extension cord through my ceiling to my rack were i will put a Richard Grey to plug in my projector and some video sources..
post #3834 of 9087 Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had the sync drop for a second when I turned around. . As expected sync immediately returned. I was comparing them to the True Depth which also sync quite well. They both block the red flash quite well. I also tried the cheap OKBA glasses. They are really light and comfortable but they don't block the red flash nearly as well. I would suggest again as you say that using a heat gun "means business" and one must be very careful leaving in on for only a few seconds at a time of one needs to adjust the Benq glasses. As I and others have said the Benq are much too tight out of the box.

I also just received the 3D Active DLP glasses from Dimensional Optics. They are the same as the True Depth but are $20 cheaper for two. The come with a nice hard case and with AC USB power adapters. If anyone is interested in these glasses I suggest that you call them directly and ask for the new 144K version. Also ask for free shipping on two or more pairs.

I have briefly compared them to the Benq glasses and they are very close in blocking the red flash. They also seem to hold the sync quite well in my dark room and are about half the price of the Benq's. They are also much more comfortable over glasses.

Doing a little more testing I did have several experiences with the sync dropping out with the Benq's. I was doing A-B tests with the new 3D active glasses and they are both very close. I never lost sync with the new 3D Active ones. I really feel they are the best value considering the nice case they come with and the power adapter. They are also rechargeable which is no big deal for me.

Are you using the 3Active glasses for BD 24p? Don't see any mention of them being 144hz capable. Even on Dimensional Optics' own site, they only list them as being compatible with The BenQ W7000.

post #3835 of 9087 Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Is it really worth removing lens cover? Isn't it better to always have the lens dust/scratch-free?

In my case I needed to remove the cover to get my anamorphic lens close enough to not cut off the edges of the image (due to my room needing a short throw ratio). Luckily the extra 1/4 to 3/8 inch I could move in fixed the issue. Otherwise I would have left the cover on as I saw no picture degredation with it in place.
post #3836 of 9087 Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post

Does anyone on here have to use an extension cord with there projector? and is there any drawback with using one. I have an outlet in my ceiling for my projector that i now use but a friend brought over his Richard Grey power company and i plugged my sony 50 into it and i seem to be happier with the picture quality while using it, so i'm thinking about running an extension cord through my ceiling to my rack were i will put a Richard Grey to plug in my projector and some video sources..

I use an extension cord that plugs into a 20amp outlet, as long as the extension cord is rated for 20 or 30 amp circuit you should be fine. Does anyone else want to chime in??????

post #3837 of 9087 Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

can you guys please create a different thread for this discussion, it's way off topic for the shoot out thread.

post #3838 of 9087 Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:

can you guys please create a different thread for this discussion, it's way off topic for the shoot out thread.

Sorry did not try too bother anyone, since i was talking about my sony projector and a different way to connect i thought i would ask a fast question to some people that might have more insight on the matter than myself. Did not think it would be much different than the various discussions about media servers and such...sorry for the bother.
post #3839 of 9087 Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Just answering a question. @ Zombie10K, during your shoot-outs are you plugged straight into a wall outlet? Or powerline conditioner? If so do you use an extension cord, if so do you find a PQ difference between the two? These details should be in your shoot-out also, Buckley44 probably bought the Sony based on your shoot-out results so I really do not see this question to be off topic.

post #3840 of 9087 Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post

Just answering a question. @ Zombie10K, during your shoot-outs are you plugged straight into a wall outlet? Or powerline conditioner? If so do you use an extension cord, if so do you find a PQ difference between the two? These details should be in your shoot-out also, Buckley44 probably bought the Sony based on your shoot-out results so I really do not see this question to be off topic.

Actually the reason i bought my Sony 50 was because i have been following the thread since the 1st page,did not try to annoy anyone as i have seen many discussions on here about numerous things between the regulars on here, I guess i should of updated my membership card eek.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page