post #3931 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 73

This site will ship to the US:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/art-of-flight-the-blu-ray-3d/dp/6119465

But you'll need a region free player or you can remux it if you have an HTPC or media streamer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 392
The Art of Flight 3D arrived today, the label claims region A B C based on the packaging. I'll let you guys know if it plays on a regular, non modified 3D BD player.

flight3d.jpg
post #3933 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The Art of Flight 3D arrived today, the label claims region A B C based on the packaging. I'll let you guys know if it plays on a regular, non modified 3D BD player.

flight3d.jpg

Cool! Looking forward to your thoughts on this one.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3934 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 147
They should rename that movie to death wish. As someone that used to be a skier in Colorado (and who had an accident but fully recovered), that movie gave me bad nightmares for a couple weeks.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3935 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

They should rename that movie to death wish. As someone that used to be a skier in Colorado (and who had an accident but fully recovered), that movie gave me bad nightmares for a couple weeks.

Those guys are a different breed for sure!

post #3936 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I also received The Art OF Flight from Australia today and even though it sates region ABC on the box it is in fact only Region B. I am trying to convert it now and save it to my media player.
post #3937 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I also received The Art OF Flight from Australia today and even though it sates region ABC on the box it is in fact only Region B. I am trying to convert it now and save it to my media player.

thanks for the heads up. let me know you make out. I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it looks on the mediator.
post #3938 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I also have the Mediator 600 on order. It should come tomorrow. I will let everyone know how I make out with the conversion. I will try it another way tonight and see if it works.
post #3939 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Are you guys just using makeMKV for these 3D conversions with HD audio?
post #3940 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was going to use either makeMKV or anydvd hd to rip to ISO, then makeMKV for the final 3D MVC MKV. Whichever one strips out the region coding faster.

1 way or the other, I am watching this tonight... cool.gif

flight3d-1.jpg
post #3941 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was going to use either makeMKV or anydvd hd to rip to ISO, then makeMKV for the final 3D MVC MKV. Whichever one strips out the region coding faster.

1 way or the other, I am watching this tonight... cool.gif

flight3d-1.jpg

I used a program that we all know to strip the code and to burn it to a 3D -Ray with some compression. 2D-3D conversion is really good.
The Red Bull Helicopter in some scenes comes right at you. Some of the opening scenes are also breathtaking in 3D. The whole process of conversion took
about two and a half hours including the burning of the Blu-Ray disk.
This is really the type of film that lends itself to this type of conversion. Love to hear what others think.
post #3942 of 9760 Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
region b not a problem for me as local region for us here smile.gif but yeah was very impressed with the 3D on art of flight. never knew was a conversion. well if the case theyve doen a great job especially since not usually a huge fan of conversions.

so has anyone else watched life of pi 3D on blu-ray. watched it last night, was us release and really this is about as good as it gets for 3D I think. the opening scenes the scenes on the life boat.its so well done and 3D adding to realism and immersion just as the 7.1 audio mix does to put you right in the midst of things smile.gif

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #3943 of 9760 Old 04-06-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched the Life of Pi in a theater and on Blu-Ray 3D. This is a great 3d release. I feel it should have won the Academy Award for Best Picture. The story is so original and different and the 3D effects on the boat are amazing. One of the top 3d films in my opinion.
post #3944 of 9760 Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
definitely movie of the year for me rwestley. great story line too I agree. I too watched it first time around in the movie theatres in 3D and was even better watching 2nd time around on blu-ray, appreciated the story and the entire experience even more smile.gif

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #3945 of 9760 Old 04-06-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used a program that we all know to strip the code and to burn it to a 3D -Ray with some compression. 2D-3D conversion is really good.
The Red Bull Helicopter in some scenes comes right at you. Some of the opening scenes are also breathtaking in 3D. The whole process of conversion took
about two and a half hours including the burning of the Blu-Ray disk.

This is really the type of film that lends itself to this type of conversion. Love to hear what others think.

Wow, they did a great job on this conversion. I watched it last night on a 3D color calibrated Sony HW50. This is one of those movies where compensating for the tint of the glasses pays off. The white mountains and the overall colors look very good through the glasses.

It's a shame this won't be easily accessible in the US for those that don't want to modify the region of their BD player. For the digitally inclined, it was simple. MakeMKV did a great job ripping out the MVC 3D data w/ HD audio. The Mediator played it back flawlessly.

The POV shots are amazing, you really get a sense of their speed as they are flying down these mountains. This is why I sit close to my 142", I like my entire field of view to be surrounded by the screen.

definitely a recommended purchase for 3D fans.
post #3946 of 9760 Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your review. I did not calibrate through the glasses on the W1070. I agree that doing it would really help with compensating for the tint of the glasses. I will probably do it when I have a chance. I can't agree more with your review.
This conversion is amazing. Probably the best 2D-3D one I have ever seen. One would swear that this film was shot in 3d.
I would recommend it to all 3d fans. It is a shame that 3D films like this and Sammy 1 & 2 are not available in 3D in the US.
post #3947 of 9760 Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wow, they did a great job on this conversion. I watched it last night on a 3D color calibrated Sony HW50. This is one of those movies where compensating for the tint of the glasses pays off. The white mountains and the overall colors look very good through the glasses.

It's a shame this won't be easily accessible in the US for those that don't want to modify the region of their BD player. For the digitally inclined, it was simple. MakeMKV did a great job ripping out the MVC 3D data w/ HD audio. The Mediator played it back flawlessly.

The POV shots are amazing, you really get a sense of their speed as they are flying down these mountains. This is why I sit close to my 142", I like my entire field of view to be surrounded by the screen.

definitely a recommended purchase for 3D fans.
Quote:

Thanks for your review. I did not calibrate through the glasses on the W1070. I agree that doing it would really help with compensating for the tint of the glasses. I will probably do it when I have a chance. I can't agree more with your review.
This conversion is amazing. Probably the best 2D-3D one I have ever seen. One would swear that this film was shot in 3d.
I would recommend it to all 3d fans. It is a shame that 3D films like this and Sammy 1 & 2 are not available in 3D in the US.

Sweet! cool.gif Thanks for the report Zombie and rwestley. This disc to me is the all too rare full package........great material, awesome PQ and fantastic AQ. Great to hear the 3d stacks up as well!

I still need to check out Life of Pi as well.

post #3948 of 9760 Old 04-08-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well........I was starting to be swayed over to the Sony VPL-HW50ES based on a lot of the feedback on this Thread and in the 50ES Thread but I'm still a little confused as to why so many Reviewers "love" this PJ but "hate" the White Field Uniformity issues and the patchy Focus issues as well .

What's the current perception regarding these two areas ? Nothing to be concerned about ? I'll only see these on Test Patterns ? Or is this unacceptable for a PJ in this price range ?

I can't make up my mind...yet smile.gif

Scott....................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #3949 of 9760 Old 04-08-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Depends on what you will be doing with it, the Sony might be the most balanced projector. The JVC's are the best at 2d (IMHO anyhow) but have gaming lag and 3D is marginal (this sparks arguments, but that is compared to a clean DLP).

If you are just doing single player games or non-lag sensitive games and watching a LOT of movies, I'd probably get the JVC. Otherwise the Sony is the better choice since it has cleaner 3D, though if you add 3D gaming to the mix then it gets even more complicated (but shouldn't matter unless you are a hardcore 3d gamer). A DLP is still going to be an advantage over the Sony in 3D, but the Sony is at least very watchable in 3D movies. The Benq or other DLP's are probably the only ones you can really comfortably game with in 3D (if you want to call any 3D gaming comfortable, I certainly don't find it comfortable to the eyes even on a BENQ DLP).

Some people will point to the FI, the color, or whatever. The color on the Sony is better than the JVC, but the JVC has more native sharpness and slightly better blacks. To me the extra NATIVE sharpness is probably what attracts me to the JVC over the Sony more than the better blacks, but everyone is different. I know the Sony has RC, but in reality that is just a creation algorithm smile.gif

If we are talking Epson vs. Sony or JVC, then I'm going say stick with LCOS unless the Epson has something you absolutely need (like a brighter torch mode for the brightest 3D of them all).

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3950 of 9760 Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I suffered through this dilemma and just bought the HW50. W7000 wouldnt fit, 5020 qc issues and higher lag times, jvc 3d too dim ghosting not as bright 2D and high lag as well. I dont think theres going to be any buyers remorse.
post #3951 of 9760 Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K View Post

Well........I was starting to be swayed over to the Sony VPL-HW50ES based on a lot of the feedback on this Thread and in the 50ES Thread but I'm still a little confused as to why so many Reviewers "love" this PJ but "hate" the White Field Uniformity issues and the patchy Focus issues as well .

What's the current perception regarding these two areas ? Nothing to be concerned about ? I'll only see these on Test Patterns ? Or is this unacceptable for a PJ in this price range ?

My Sony has no issues with uniformity or sharpness if that helps. Can you go see a demo of one? I did before I bought mine and couldn't be any happier with my purchase.
post #3952 of 9760 Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Depends on what you will be doing with it, the Sony might be the most balanced projector. The JVC's are the best at 2d (IMHO anyhow) but have gaming lag and 3D is marginal (this sparks arguments, but that is compared to a clean DLP).

If you are just doing single player games or non-lag sensitive games and watching a LOT of movies, I'd probably get the JVC. Otherwise the Sony is the better choice since it has cleaner 3D, though if you add 3D gaming to the mix then it gets even more complicated (but shouldn't matter unless you are a hardcore 3d gamer). A DLP is still going to be an advantage over the Sony in 3D, but the Sony is at least very watchable in 3D movies. The Benq or other DLP's are probably the only ones you can really comfortably game with in 3D (if you want to call any 3D gaming comfortable, I certainly don't find it comfortable to the eyes even on a BENQ DLP).

Some people will point to the FI, the color, or whatever. The color on the Sony is better than the JVC, but the JVC has more native sharpness and slightly better blacks. To me the extra NATIVE sharpness is probably what attracts me to the JVC over the Sony more than the better blacks, but everyone is different. I know the Sony has RC, but in reality that is just a creation algorithm smile.gif

If we are talking Epson vs. Sony or JVC, then I'm going say stick with LCOS unless the Epson has something you absolutely need (like a brighter torch mode for the brightest 3D of them all).

Thanks for the replies........I'm not a Gamer or a 3D viewer , strictly 2D Movies on a Scope Screen . I can't go single chip DLP as I see rainbows . I wish I could go and see these PJ's but there just aren't the same number of good Demo places around my area anymore . Those days are gone . This is why we need Zombie10K and yourselves for solid info and feedback . Your opinions are worth gold !
Thanks !!wink.gif

Scott...............

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #3953 of 9760 Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've calibrated a number of HW50's in the last few months, white field uniformity isn't an issue imo. It's not quite as good as the JVC, but still very good overall and significantly better than the Panasonic 8000. With the 8000, I can see the color shifts with real content such as the Art of Flight (all white) and B&W movies. The HW50 gets a full pass with these movies.

The majority of HW50 lenses I've seen pretty much all perform the same. Good sharpness until 3/4 of the way out of the screen, then some copies perform a bit better than others. Native vs. Native, the JVC's simply have a better lens. The RC does a good job at fooling the eye into thinking it's sharper than it is. Most people are convinced which is why the projector gets such good reviews. It can be overdone a bit with certain bluray content, but you always have the option to turn it off.

The real competitor to the HW50 is the JVC RS4810. Sci-fi / bluray fanatics may gravitate towards the 4810 since the e-shift is a little more subtle/natural in appearance than the reality creation.. The Sony is cheaper to operate (least expensive lamp out of all the projectors in this review) and much quieter than the JVC in high lamp. The Sony also has 1000 D65 lumens which is impressive.

good luck with your decision.
post #3954 of 9760 Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

He's using a scope screen, so maybe he should consider both the RS-46 or preferably the RS-48 over the Sony hw50 since he is so heavy on just movies.

Also, I got spoiled by the JVC's native sharpness in HTPC reading, once you go sharp you stop playing harps. I have never had a Sony hw50 in my home, so I can't say how it matches up in this dept, but I'm assuming it's a notch down. For movies, I'm sure it's fine as Zombie says with the RC and even without it, it should be ok. I even stopped using the Benq w7000 to read text because the JVC is a hair better. I do a lot of reading on my PJ screen now, with every other PJ I found it tiring.

I would think even the RS-46 + Darbee + other sharpening gives the Sony a run for the money. If you can really get the same sharpening algorithm or very close just by buying a Sony s790 BD player, then you have the same thing on the JVC's (RC on JVC). Yah, the RS-48 is better than the RS-46, but the RS-46 is quiet a bit cheaper and you lose the CMS + E-shift 2.

post #3955 of 9760 Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the replies........I'm not a Gamer or a 3D viewer , strictly 2D Movies on a Scope Screen . I can't go single chip DLP as I see rainbows . I wish I could go and see these PJ's but there just aren't the same number of good Demo places around my area anymore . Those days are gone . This is why we need Zombie10K and yourselves for solid info and feedback . Your opinions are worth gold !
Thanks !!wink.gif

Scott...............

Are you using an A-lens or zooming?

post #3956 of 9760 Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I felt the same way. My main concern is 2d movies. My wife & kids may watch a 3d from time to time & I'm not even hooking a game system up on mine. I finally ordered a JVC RS4810 from AVS since I wanted a scope screen to get the best from scope movies. Since the Sony doesn't have zoom memory I ruled that out. I saw the JVC in person a t a local store & I was blown away, even more than when I viewed the Sony HW50. Now I don't know how each was set up but after reading so many things that pointed out that the JVC was the best for movies I was sold. And to top it off I got a deal that I couldn't pass up from AVS! biggrin.gif

post #3957 of 9760 Old 04-09-2013, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Either way, Sony or JVC you can't really go wrong, depends on the needs of the individual more than anything. I could live with either projector, but the motorized zoom and lens, slightly deeper blacks, and sharper natively is what edged me to the JVC when I got it.

post #3958 of 9760 Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, thanks for the 3d glasses recommendations, I will check it out...I have a question for any Darbee users.

I bought the Sony 50ES, and I am loving it. Im blown away by both 2d and 3d...Even in my current 'not ideal" settings with light walls and ceiling it is truly amazing...I have been using RC with minimum setting and IMO it is WAY better than when it is off...
Would I be wasting my money by adding a DARBEE to use in addition to using the RC? Would it be better to use the Darbee with a higher setting and turn off RC?
post #3959 of 9760 Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Either way, Sony or JVC you can't really go wrong, depends on the needs of the individual more than anything. I could live with either projector, but the motorized zoom and lens, slightly deeper blacks, and sharper natively is what edged me to the JVC when I got it.

With his "strictly 2d movies on a scope screen" info, the JVC seems like a no brainer. If he is also using the zoom method on his scope screen, it makes this decision all the easier as the motorized lens on the JVC will make this exercise MUCH more pleasant and a manual lens projector like the 50 will quickly feel like a PITA if his experience is anything like mine.

This is an easy decision IMO. smile.gif

post #3960 of 9760 Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cutter View Post

I felt the same way. My main concern is 2d movies. My wife & kids may watch a 3d from time to time & I'm not even hooking a game system up on mine. I finally ordered a JVC RS4810 from AVS since I wanted a scope screen to get the best from scope movies. Since the Sony doesn't have zoom memory I ruled that out. I saw the JVC in person a t a local store & I was blown away, even more than when I viewed the Sony HW50. Now I don't know how each was set up but after reading so many things that pointed out that the JVC was the best for movies I was sold. And to top it off I got a deal that I couldn't pass up from AVS! biggrin.gif

Yeah, that special is a pretty sweet deal. Enjoy your projector. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page