Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 8764 Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am late to the party but here my comments on my JVC RS4810 vs my Sony VW95.

First, the reason I wanted to test the 4810 was for the eshif 4k. I was really curious to see the effect on my screen since I sit pretty close to a 133 inch high power.

To my surprise, the biggest difference between my 2 projector was not the eshift but the black level. Holy moly! I forget how good the black was on the JVC. The Sony 95 is very good in that regard but in my fully blacked room the difference is noticeable.

The eshift set on Film mode (at the minimum setting) give a very good natural effect of pseudo Ultra HD. No to much "in your face" and aggressive like the Reality Creation in the Sony HW50.

I tested the 3D using my monster vision 3D glasses and emitter. To make the story short, the 3D is brighter and overall better on the VW95.

Another point that favor the VW95 is poor blu-ray transfer, DVD rip, TV program and sports overall look better on the Sony. Cannot put my finger on exactly why is that but that's my impression.

On the opposite, good blu ray transfer and film with great camera work look better on the JVC.

So my impression up until now, the Sony VW95 is a better all-around performer (3D, poor transfer, tv show and sports) but the 4810 is really the best image with high quality blu ray transfer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 8764 Old 07-27-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Rick, thanks for your feedback. We're seeing pretty much the same thing, I could definitely see the black floor difference between the VW95 and the RS55 with the dual iris. The 4810 is also impressive for the $$.

I kept the RS55 because I have a preference for e-shift 1 vs. e-shift 2, it's difficult to describe the exact difference without seeing them in an A/B stack. I think the e-shift 1 is a little more refined from the optical shift perspective, not the MPC sharpening.

I'd like to see Sony build in better controls for the RC in the upcoming models this year.

So are you keeping this, at least until CEDIA? biggrin.gif

edit: did you try to set the crosstalk controls to +6? it should noticeably increase the brightness without introducing too much x-talk.
post #4503 of 8764 Old 07-27-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
If Sony can get their RC to look like a Darblet in the HW55ES coming out next year, I think they're going to have one hell of product. They're already using the better lens that the VW95ES had, motorized optics with lens memory and a sexier chassis design. If priced somewhere between the VW95ES and HW50ES I think they'll sell like hotcakes.
post #4504 of 8764 Old 07-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Rick, thanks for your feedback. We're seeing pretty much the same thing, I could definitely see the black floor difference between the VW95 and the RS55 with the dual iris.

I kept the RS55 because I have a preference for e-shift 1 vs. e-shift 2, it's difficult to describe the exact difference without seeing them in an A/B stack. I think the e-shift 1 is a little more refined from the optical shift perspective, not the MPC sharpening.

I'd like to see Sony build in better controls for the RC in the upcoming models this year.

So are you keeping this, at least until CEDIA? biggrin.gif

Yes I should keep this one for a couples of weeks... rolleyes.gif

This fall, if the price is right, I would really like to try the new Sony 4K that is rumor to be below 10k.
post #4505 of 8764 Old 07-27-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think many here are excited to see what JVC and Sony have up their sleeve for the fall releases. The only issue is that HDMI 2.0 isn't ready yet, so assuming both co's have ~10K 4K models, what will the upgrade path be for HDMI 2.0 when it's standardized next year?

These are definitely the questions that are going to be asked @ CEDIA since Sony is having some growing pains trying to get that 4K media device compatible with their current 4K projector + TV's.

if we fast forward to fall 2014, that's when i think the 4K party is going to start. There needs to be more content than what Sony is going to offer, otherwise I'll never see my favorites in 4K.
post #4506 of 8764 Old 07-27-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

If Sony can get their RC to look like a Darblet in the HW55ES coming out next year, I think they're going to have one hell of product. They're already using the better lens that the VW95ES had, motorized optics with lens memory and a sexier chassis design. If priced somewhere between the VW95ES and HW50ES I think they'll sell like hotcakes.

This should definitely be a popular model in the fall, combining the best elements of the HW50 and VW95. They have to be careful with the price though, hopefully not over 4k street.
post #4507 of 8764 Old 07-27-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Zombie... I'm not asking when, but will you post your impressions on HC5 vs. JVC?
post #4508 of 8764 Old 07-28-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Zombie... I'm not asking when, but will you post your impressions on HC5 vs. JVC?

definitely. I want to run both through the 125 pt auto-cal, the over-saturation on the HC5 makes it hard to compare in the A/B stack where I split the source and cover each lens while observing familiar scenes.

The HC5 should respond well to the auto-cal on the mini 3D.

Last night I watched the Japanese release of T2 on the RS55 @ -11 on the iris. Overall the movie looked great considering the time period it was filmed, the dark scenes looked about about good as it can get.
post #4509 of 8764 Old 07-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Does anyone here think that this years JVC do 3D better than the Epson 5020/6020? I had a 6010 and upgraded to the 5020 and since I had the 6010 I never really liked the 3D on it or the 5020. I saw the cross talk and it just seemed a little flat. I played with the settings but I just wasn't too happy with it. I have an RS4810 now and I think the 3D is amazing compared to my Epson. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a Sharp Z30K for 3D based on what I heard, but I am pleased with the 3D picture of the RS4810. I spent a lot of time doing A/B testing and I can't really see the cross talk on it. On the Epson it didnt take much for me to notice it.

Based on what I read here I got the impression that Epsons were better and maybe they are, but to my eyes I couldn't see it. I'm 29 years old so still relatively young.

Has anyone here compared the X55 to X675 and X95 in terms of contrast performance. Are the numbers noticable to the eyes?
post #4510 of 8764 Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post

Does anyone here think that this years JVC do 3D better than the Epson 5020/6020? I had a 6010 and upgraded to the 5020 and since I had the 6010 I never really liked the 3D on it or the 5020. I saw the cross talk and it just seemed a little flat. I played with the settings but I just wasn't too happy with it. I have an RS4810 now and I think the 3D is amazing compared to my Epson. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a Sharp Z30K for 3D based on what I heard, but I am pleased with the 3D picture of the RS4810. I spent a lot of time doing A/B testing and I can't really see the cross talk on it. On the Epson it didnt take much for me to notice it.

Based on what I read here I got the impression that Epsons were better and maybe they are, but to my eyes I couldn't see it. I'm 29 years old so still relatively young.

Has anyone here compared the X55 to X675 and X95 in terms of contrast performance. Are the numbers noticable to the eyes?

This is an interesting question. My experience with JVC has left me feeling snake-bit. My RS45 was *significantly* worse for 3D than my RS40, despite JVC's ridiculous claim that it had been improved over the previous generation. Art Feierman over at Projector Reviews thought highly of 3D on the Epson 5010, but believes it's dramatically better on the 5020. In addition to first gen Epson ghosting performance being superior to my JVC's, brightness was also no contest. The Epson is blazing bright compared to either of the older JVC's, which makes for a far more satisfying 3D experience. My impression from following this thread is that JVC made some compromises to contrast to make 3D on the current generation better, but that the chip design has not changed. To me, this suggests that dark ghosting is not likely to be at a level I'd feel comfortable with.

I'd have to get objective confirmation from Zombie that JVC 3D is better than Epson 3D before I'd believe it. And perhaps Deja Vu could tag in here to talk about 3D on the 6020 vs the 6010? I'm toying with the idea of getting the 5020 for the improved 3D - and RF glasses instead of IR. I intended to wait for the Red laser, but only God knows when that will be released. I think Mark Haflich predicted that we might not see it until the next millennium. biggrin.gif

Joe Clark

post #4511 of 8764 Old 07-29-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

This is an interesting question. My experience with JVC has left me feeling snake-bit. My RS45 was *significantly* worse for 3D than my RS40, despite JVC's ridiculous claim that it had been improved over the previous generation. Art Feierman over at Projector Reviews thought highly of 3D on the Epson 5010, but believes it's dramatically better on the 5020. In addition to first gen Epson ghosting performance being superior to my JVC's, brightness was also no contest. The Epson is blazing bright compared to either of the older JVC's, which makes for a far more satisfying 3D experience. My impression from following this thread is that JVC made some compromises to contrast to make 3D on the current generation better, but that the chip design has not changed. To me, this suggests that dark ghosting is not likely to be at a level I'd feel comfortable with.

I'd have to get objective confirmation from Zombie that JVC 3D is better than Epson 3D before I'd believe it. And perhaps Deja Vu could tag in here to talk about 3D on the 6020 vs the 6010? I'm toying with the idea of getting the 5020 for the improved 3D - and RF glasses instead of IR. I intended to wait for the Red laser, but only God knows when that will be released. I think Mark Haflich predicted that we might not see it until the next millennium. biggrin.gif

I got a high gain 100" Japanese screen. Looks a lot like the HP 2.4, brightness for me is not an issue. I dont use high lamp at all on the 4810 I just open the iris. Brightness aside I found the JVC to have more depth and better crosstalk performance. I did some more testing last night and the Epson had better cross talk performance on 60hz content while the JVC was a hot mess in comparison. Both set to 24Hz though and the JVC was better. Not something I was expecting. I used Hugo as a reference and some Pirate anime movie. I've demo'd the Epson 5010 in Tokyo two years or so ago and I didn't notice cross talk in their demo which led me to get the 6010, but I don't know. I had some theories that maybe using the pixel alignment on the 5020 could somehow affect the 3D? My 4810 is damn near perfect in regards to convergence on a 100". Very very slight fringing on white text. I'd say its about 1/8 of a pixel. The 5020 depending how I mounted it would be slightly out of convergence so I would use the pixel alignment to get it perfect.

It's possible it could have effected 3D performance but I don't think it would.
post #4512 of 8764 Old 07-29-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Zombie has said JVC improved 3D performance this year, but I have no direct experience with the newest generation. My JVC's exhibited terrible crosstalk with any 120hz (60hz/eye) 3D material - e.g. 720p/60 Blu-ray 3D, 60i side by side 3D. Sounds like that's still the case. Ironically, such performance ruled out using my JVC's to screen 3D I had shot on my JVC TD1 camcorder, which is limited to 60i.That's because the chips JVC uses can't refresh fast enough to keep up with that rate of change. With 24p Blu-ray 3D it's much better, at least in terms of light ghosting (light objects against dark backgrounds). That was never a problem. OTOH, my experience was that 3D that had dark objects against bright backgrounds created real problems for the JVC - such as tree limbs or lamp posts against a blue sky. That's the real torture test for the JVC's. I doubt any convergence adjustments would make a difference in ghosting performance.

Joe Clark

post #4513 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 559
I think my x35 shows the best 3d I've ever seen(in terms of ghosting/crosstalk), but I only have two Samsung plasmas to compare to.

I am also blind in my left eye, so for me 'good 3D' means it looks the same as 2D. I find the 3D nearly unwatchable on the plasmas I've seen it on.

oh, and I've only played SBS files off my htpc on the x35

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4514 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I am also blind in my left eye, so for me 'good 3D' means it looks the same as 2D.
Are you... SIRIUS?
post #4515 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreis View Post

Hi there, anyone has an 5020 with an Dalite High power 2.8 screen that can help me to identify if my 5020 has a problem with black level?
When i put a black patern (avshd) i can see too much light coming from the projector that the image on the screen is not black, i can easy make pupets, the shadow of my hand is black, but the entire screen is dark grey, is this normal because the high power has 2.8 gain and we can never had black with this screen or my 5020 is not closing the iris like it should? I could see the black bars dark grey in a movie but i thought that was the reflections on the seiling, but with a black patern i dont see reflections! I have a dedicated blackt light control room.
Thanks

Well, anyone that have the 5020 and think that the iris is jamed or that the projector has something else that the black level isnt black but dark grey and dont have a colormeter, check the gama of the projector, mine was all missed up! I am using an htpc, i thought that the poor black level was because of the dalite high power 2.8 that i have, a couple of weeks ago i try the madvr video render that has a power curve gama processing and when i put the gama on madvr to 2.2 it was actualy much more black that my 2.2 gama of the projector so i try some tests and realise that the real 2.2 gama, on the projector was in fact 2.4, and the 2.2 gama on the projector was a real 2.0 gama!!! because that i have a black out room with a full light control and the epson has a realy good shadow detail i puch the gama of the madvr to 2.35 (real gama, the projector cant even do this, it doesnt have 2.55!!!) and the black level became absolutly outstanding and maintains a very good shadow detail with very good sharpness. I had also a misconvergence of 1 pixel of the blue and red to the left, so an increment of 8 to the right (1 full pixel) in the lcd alighment and its perfect now! The next step is a full AutoCal
post #4516 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's an article by Geoff Morrison on his projector pick from this year's models, including many that Zombie has reviewed. It's a good overview of projector technology in general and a decent summary of the strengths and weaknesses of some of these offerings. It may not agree in the particulars with everything posted here, but it covers a lot of bases in easy to understand language and generally falls in line. His pick - the Epson 5020. He also links to many other reviewers who cover much the same ground.

Joe Clark

post #4517 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Are you... SIRIUS?

yeah, that's why i have this rage when it comes to 3D, haha. i hate it so much, it does nothing good, and usually a lot of bad. at least with the jvc when i watch a 3d movie it still looks like a pretty good 2d movie

post #4518 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 02:46 PM

Liked: 11
I haven't seen the newer JVC's but I can tell you that there is just no comparison between the 5020 and the first generation RS-40. Both in brightness and crosstalk the Epson is vastly superior for 3D.
So while I know it isn't practical for most, I still think the current state of affairs is that for the best possible 2D/3D home theatre set up, you need the 2 project route.

To me the JVC's unbeatable for 2D, and since I can't do lower end DLP due to rainbows and need all the brightness I can get with my large 1.1 gain screen and long throw, it's the Epson for me. Very happy with this current set up.

S A M 33
post #4519 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreis View Post

Well, anyone that have the 5020 and think that the iris is jamed or that the projector has something else that the black level isnt black but dark grey and dont have a colormeter, check the gama of the projector, mine was all missed up! I am using an htpc, i thought that the poor black level was because of the dalite high power 2.8 that i have, a couple of weeks ago i try the madvr video render that has a power curve gama processing and when i put the gama on madvr to 2.2 it was actualy much more black that my 2.2 gama of the projector so i try some tests and realise that the real 2.2 gama, on the projector was in fact 2.4, and the 2.2 gama on the projector was a real 2.0 gama!!! because that i have a black out room with a full light control and the epson has a realy good shadow detail i puch the gama of the madvr to 2.35 (real gama, the projector cant even do this, it doesnt have 2.55!!!) and the black level became absolutly outstanding and maintains a very good shadow detail with very good sharpness. I had also a misconvergence of 1 pixel of the blue and red to the left, so an increment of 8 to the right (1 full pixel) in the lcd alighment and its perfect now! The next step is a full AutoCal

Thats interesting, I have to check that out because I'm in a similiar situation I have two 5020s and an RS4810 on a HP 2.58 screen (Japanese version of Dalite HP 2.4). One is brand new untouched and the other I play around with and the one I play around with has horrible blacks compared to the RS4810 which is to be expected. I never recalibrated it for the HP screen I just got. The Epson 5020 is retardedly bright on my HP screen. I wear the 3D glasses to mess around with it. I'll check this out as I was completely oblivious to this.
post #4520 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S A M 33 View Post

I haven't seen the newer JVC's but I can tell you that there is just no comparison between the 5020 and the first generation RS-40. Both in brightness and crosstalk the Epson is vastly superior for 3D.
So while I know it isn't practical for most, I still think the current state of affairs is that for the best possible 2D/3D home theatre set up, you need the 2 project route.

To me the JVC's unbeatable for 2D, and since I can't do lower end DLP due to rainbows and need all the brightness I can get with my large 1.1 gain screen and long throw, it's the Epson for me. Very happy with this current set up.

S A M 33

The newer generations perform decently for the first few hundred hours and then go exponentially downhill from there.
post #4521 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Zombie has said JVC improved 3D performance this year, but I have no direct experience with the newest generation. My JVC's exhibited terrible crosstalk with any 120hz (60hz/eye) 3D material - e.g. 720p/60 Blu-ray 3D, 60i side by side 3D. Sounds like that's still the case. Ironically, such performance ruled out using my JVC's to screen 3D I had shot on my JVC TD1 camcorder, which is limited to 60i.That's because the chips JVC uses can't refresh fast enough to keep up with that rate of change. With 24p Blu-ray 3D it's much better, at least in terms of light ghosting (light objects against dark backgrounds). That was never a problem. OTOH, my experience was that 3D that had dark objects against bright backgrounds created real problems for the JVC - such as tree limbs or lamp posts against a blue sky. That's the real torture test for the JVC's. I doubt any convergence adjustments would make a difference in ghosting performance.

JC - they definitely did a good job covering up the typical dark on light ghosting that we saw on the last 2 generations. Something did change with the image, the contrast looks tweaked in 3D and the brightness with the Crosstalk controls @ 0 is a dimmer than the previous years. Cranking up the CT controls to around 6 puts it closer the HW50 and other projectors.

1 thing that didn't change is the perceived flicker through the glasses. The Epson is the best of the non-DLP's in this regards. better than the Sony and JVC. Some won't notice this, but i'm sensitive to it. I recently calibrated a friends 5020 that has around 400 hours on it. The x-talk was a bit more noticeable that I was expecting with relatively low hours. The only thing i can think of is that I'm so used to watching 3D DLP that any bit of x-talk stands out now.

Of all the different models I've seen so far with 3D, the Sharp 30K is one of my favorites for 3D. The glasses they use are near perfect and should be the mold by which everyone else creates their glasses. The fast color wheel keeps the RBE away, something that bothered me from time to time on the W7000. Also, contrast is noticeably better in 3D than the W7000. I'd say it's on-par with the Sony HW30 from last year which is pretty good for a DLP.

I like this model so much for 3D, I have 10 pairs of 3D glasses for it, a record considering i've never own more than pair for the carrousel of 3D projectors that have visited my HT. cool.gif
post #4522 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:

JC - they definitely did a good job covering up the typical dark on light ghosting that we saw on the last 2 generations. Something did change with the image, the contrast looks tweaked in 3D and the brightness with the Crosstalk controls @ 0 is a dimmer than the previous years. Cranking up the CT controls to around 6 puts it closer the HW50 and other projectors.

1 thing that didn't change is the perceived flicker through the glasses. The Epson is the best of the non-DLP's in this regards. better than the Sony and JVC. Some won't notice this, but i'm sensitive to it. I recently calibrated a friends 5020 that has around 400 hours on it. The x-talk was a bit more noticeable that I was expecting with relatively low hours. The only thing i can think of is that I'm so used to watching 3D DLP that any bit of x-talk stands out now.

Of all the different models I've seen so far with 3D, the Sharp 30K is one of my favorites for 3D. The glasses they use are near perfect and should be the mold by which everyone else creates their glasses. The fast color wheel keeps the RBE away, something that bothered me from time to time on the W7000. Also, contrast is noticeably better in 3D than the W7000. I'd say it's on-par with the Sony HW30 from last year which is pretty good for a DLP.

I like this model so much for 3D, I have 10 pairs of 3D glasses for it, a record considering i've never own more than pair for the carrousel of 3D projectors that have visited my HT. cool.gif

I still can't wrap my head why the cross talk gets worse with more hours on it. It seems the majority of projectors that aren't DLP suffer from this.

Zombie do you notice a difference in 3D depth between all the projectors?
post #4523 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There's been some speculation that as the lamp ages, it produces less heat. The cooler panels don't react as quickly when refreshing between the changes, causing the crosstalk. How true this is, we can't say for sure. It does seem to make sense since replacing the lamp usually resolves the issue with no other changes.

If all other conditions are the same, the 3D depth is generally the same between the various models. Some that are just average with 3D performance (Panasonic 8000 / Mitsubishi HC5) seems a bit less effective with depth, perhaps due to the higher than normal x-talk that I see on these models.
post #4524 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The newer generations perform decently for the first few hundred hours and then go exponentially downhill from there.

The older models were the same, except that they had questionable 3D from day one (especially the RS45).

Here's my sad tale: I got my first RS40, but it had issues. The convergence was terrible - so bad that a JVC rep commented that it was probably damaged in transit. They were in short supply, so I was told to keep that projector until I could be shipped a replacement. I eventually got a 3D emitter (also in short supply) and the 3D was OK but the dark ghosting had already started to rear its ugly head. When the new RS40 came, I was delighted to see almost no ghosting. Great, I said. Within a couple of hundred hours, that changed. Dark ghosting was back with a vengeance. So, when someone says, "My JVC has almost no ghosting," I say, "Get back to me in a few hundred hours." For me, after 200 hours 3D was really bad. After 300-400 hours it was unwatchable. Add to that the fact that many of the lamps in that early run of JVC's were defective and failed quite early (my second RS40's lamp dimmed to almost nothing overnight, after less than 800 hours).

Now, when 3D on the RS40 was good, it was excellent. But that was because it generated almost no light ghosting (thin light objects against dark backgrounds). Just as with 2D, the JVC's wonderful native contrast made for the best 3D I've ever seen, bar none, in such scenes. But before you could finish "Ooohing and Aaaahing" over how great the 3D was in those scenes, you'd shift to a bright scene. The horrible dark ghosting would rip you out of the 3D movie like a baby from its mother's cozy womb.

I wouldn't recommend that any true 3D lover buy a JVC until they resolve these problems. If you don't care about 3D, by all means get one. It's an incredible 2D projector. As a heavy projector user, and a die hard fan of 3D, JVC is not the projector for me.

Joe Clark

post #4525 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 10
I just mounted my HW50ES on the ceiling. How do you make the image right side up? I was online with Sony for 30 minutes and all they could tell me was this:

As your projector has already been mounted on the celling, the only option is to unmount the projector from the celling and set the projector on the right position.

Thanks,

Jim
post #4526 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, the Epson is certainly not perfect when it comes to ghosting, but it strikes a good balance. It doesn't exhibit severe dark or light ghosting. One of the things I like most about it is that it doesn't make much difference if I'm watching 24p Blu-ray 3D or 60i 3D shot on my JVC camcorder. The amount of ghosting is comparable, and minimal. Sure, it bothers me in the worst case scenarios, and I'd prefer none at all, but I can't justify (or even make room for) two projectors. I also have two other 3D displays - a 64" Samsung plasma in a bedroom and a 47" Lg passive for editing 3D. I really don't want to invest in another 3D display. smile.gif The overall 2D and 3D quality is very satisfying.

Joe Clark

post #4527 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguej View Post

I just mounted my HW50ES on the ceiling. How do you make the image right side up? I was online with Sony for 30 minutes and all they could tell me was this:

As your projector has already been mounted on the celling, the only option is to unmount the projector from the celling and set the projector on the right position.

Thanks,

Jim

there should be a setting for this in the menu. I have no idea what the rep was talking about, unless all the buttons to work the projector are on the bottom and it doesn't have a remote(unlikely on both cases).

I don't have a sony, but on all the projectors I have owned/used it was a pretty obvious setting. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it will have 4 different settings: front ceiling, rear ceiling, front, rear(or something similarly named). you would want front ceiling

post #4528 of 8764 Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

You would think by now all projectors these days would auto-orientate themselves like some higher end models do. The sensor can't be that expensive.

Also, LOL at the Sony rep for not knowing how to fix the issue...rolleyes.gif
post #4529 of 8764 Old 07-31-2013, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

You would think by now all projectors these days would auto-orientate themselves like some higher end models do. The sensor can't be that expensive.

Also, LOL at the Sony rep for not knowing how to fix the issue...rolleyes.gif

FYI...the instructions for changing the image orientation are on page 63 of the HW50 manual under Installation -- Image Flip. There are options in the Installation menu for changing the horizontal, vertical and horizontal + vertical orientation of the image.

You can download the manual here:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_7210.pdf

-Alex-
post #4530 of 8764 Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
JVC finally nailed 24p 3D with the latest projector releases.

Their first generation was not very bright, but crosstalk was minimal when new and progressively got worse as the bulb dimmed (probably due to less heat)

Their second generation was a shock because it advertised big improvements, but other than being MUCH brighter, the crosstalk was really much worse. This is partially due to forced edge sharpening that could not be defeated

Their third generation combined more brightness with less crosstalk...finally! As the bulbs are holding up much better with the current generation, hundreds of hours are passing but the crosstalk is not getting worse. I am a fussy person for crosstalk as I tune into it way too easily...and finally I have a projector where it rarely if ever catches my eye.....none of my friends or family has ever noticed it.

However, the biggest caveat is that JVC still excels primarily with 24p only. For 720p60 or SBS 50/60, the crosstalk is still more noticeable than other manufacturers.

Nevertheless if your primary mission is 3D blu-ray, the current JVCs should not be overlooked based on their somewhat poorer ancestors.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page