Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post

So you're saying that the projector needs to be placed perpendicular to the screen, and placed in the center vertically, relative to the screen ?

This might be a problem for me, because doing this might cause viewing issues in my room ..

This is a to-scale side-view of HT Room:

The throw distance in the above picture is about 16' ... As you can see, if I lower the projector vertically, it will put people's head's silhouettes on the screen tongue.gif

The closer you get the projector to eye level, the more gain you will get out of the retro-reflective HP. Honestly in your setup from your diagram, I would not go with a HP if it were me. The HP just does not seem like a practical solution with your multiple rows (as you mention, the projector will be quite the distraction for the rear row viewers from the looks of it) which looks like it will require a ceiling mounted projector. Just my opinion and some will disagree, but if I had to ceiling mount my projector as you do, I would not go with a HP screen as the uniformity gets worse the further away from seated eye level you get and you loose more gain the higher up the projector is mounted as well. Unless there is some way to practically get the projector not more than a few feet above seated eye level and so it is not a distraction for your rear row, I would look to a different screen. The HP is great in the right situation, but it is certainly not the right choice in all situations since it is very particular on it's setup parameters to really get the most out of it (or close to it).

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

The closer you get the projector to eye level, the more gain you will get out of the retro-reflective HP. Honestly in your setup from your diagram, I would not go with a HP if it were me. The HP just does not seem like a practical solution with your multiple rows (as you mention, the projector will be quite the distraction for the rear row viewers from the looks of it) which looks like it will require a ceiling mounted projector. Just my opinion and some will disagree, but if I had to ceiling mount my projector as you do, I would not go with a HP screen as the uniformity gets worse the further away from seated eye level you get and you loose more gain the higher up the projector is mounted as well. Unless there is some way to practically get the projector not more than a few feet above seated eye level and so it is not a distraction for your rear row, I would look to a different screen. The HP is great in the right situation, but it is certainly not the right choice in all situations since it is very particular on it's setup parameters to really get the most out of it (or close to it).

The 'distraction' part of putting it in the middle can be handled without a lot of effort I think ..

I can try to make a nice looking small shelf-like frame which can contain the 2 projectors vertically (one above the other, in different shelf slots), and can paint the shelf black or something, and have the black panel of it made in such a way such that I can easily open it to connect/disconnect wires, etc ..

It will mean one seat less in the back row, but if it results in a significantly better output quality, then it can be done ... Besides, the back rows will probably be rarely used given my family structure ..
Old 11-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The 'distraction' part of putting it in the middle can be handled without a lot of effort I think ..

I can try to make a nice looking small shelf-like frame which can contain the 2 projectors vertically (one above the other, in different shelf slots), and can paint the shelf black or something, and have the black panel of it made in such a way such that I can easily open it to connect/disconnect wires, etc ..

It will mean one seat less in the back row, but if it results in a significantly better output quality, then it can be done ... Besides, the back rows will probably be rarely used given my family structure ..

In that case, I say go for the HP still. cool.gif

Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

You might as well get a Da-Lite High Power screen. This way you can close down the iris on the JVC and open it up gradually as you put more hours on the lamp. For 3D, the screen will give a nice bump in brightness to which ever projector you choose to take care of your 3D content. The one caveat is that the material is retroreflective, so you'll want to shelf mount the projectors as close as possible to screen center for maximum gain. Your viewing position should follow those rules as well.

Can you give me a link on which screen you're referring to ?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

In that case, I say go for the HP still. cool.gif

In that case, please provide me with a link of this HP screen you're referring to smile.gif
Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Yea. Its the perfect screen. I am surprised there are still other screens being sold. Though the HP does have a few flaws that other screens don't have and it doesn't ever say to your eyes there is no fabric there. I would never consider that screen for serious 2D viewing unless I made the screen too big for the light output of the projector and I needed the HP's gain, fleas and all.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 401
the deal was almost closed. good job dragging out this theater build for 10 more pages. cool.gif
Old 11-19-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

the deal was almost closed. good job dragging out this theater build for 10 more pages. cool.gif

Lmao.....son of a.......... biggrin.gif
Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Yea. Its the perfect screen. I am surprised there are still other screens being sold. Though the HP does have a few flaws that other screens don't have and it doesn't ever say to your eyes there is no fabric there. I would never consider that screen for serious 2D viewing unless I made the screen too big for the light output of the projector and I needed the HP's gain, fleas and all.

rolleyes.gif

Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In that case, please provide me with a link of this HP screen you're referring to smile.gif

Just go to the Da-lite website and look up the 2.4 High Power screen. I would link it, but I am on my phone and am not advanced enough to know how to do it tongue.gif. Or maybe someone else can link it.

AVS is a great place to purchase it from (as well as as other HT items).

Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post

I wish the Epson had lower lag times and better PQ with fast mode enabled because I could really use the extra lumens,

Wasn't the Epson 5030's "fast" mode reported at 37 ms of lag?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:

I read all of that S&V article, but its very last sentence on Page 4 completely blows you away:
rolleyes.gif

The only aspect which kinda scares me is that I don't want a situation to arise where I say "What if .. ?", regarding the brightness of JVC's 2D output .. Brightness isn't its best point, supposedly.

So I'm a little scared that I might find it a little dim, maybe ? Is this something to be worried about ?

My throw distance will be about 18 feet, and the screen is 120" 16:9 ... Room is 95% light controlled ..

So is there any chance I could end up wanting more brightness, with a JVC RS-46 ? redface.gif

Low brightness for 3D isn't an issue though, because for 3D I'll use another projector ..

When you look at brightness in best image mode, Sony is first, JVC second and Epson 3rd. The JVC is far from a dim projector. Give us a call to discuss.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

There was 1 report, I wasn't able to match it. I would wait for more tests to be sure (if lag time is important).
Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Yes, but I've heard several different #'s thrown around. Still a bit inconclusive at the moment it seems. And when put into 'Fast Mode' it reduces the image quality significantly from what I read somewhere else on here. Text is jagged and the image just looks pretty bad from what the reviewer stated. The Sony doesn't do this.
Quote:

There was 1 report, I wasn't able to match it. I would wait for more tests to be sure (if lag time is important).

^^ What he said...because lag time is of utmost importance to me.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Old 11-19-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:

Mark.
Do you copy and paste this quote every time someone brings up High Power screen. smile.gif
Old 11-20-2013, 03:55 AM

On a sidenote, how does the RS-46 and RS-4810 compare ?

Which one would you buy between a brand new RS-46 and a refurb RS-4810 ?

I know RS-4810 is more 'loaded', but it will also be a refurb ... So honest opinions please smile.gif
Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
4810 has eshift, which is said to be great if you sit close.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:

A self-serving comment?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Mark has a right to voice his opinion. He has his reasons for not particularly being enamoured with the HP screen. The bottom line is that you actually have to try it to see if it works for you in your particular environment. There are some here who have moved away from the HP, while others have moved to it. I'm in the later category and moved to the 2.8 HP about 11 years ago. I've tried other screens, but have always come back and I am now confident that there's nothing else in its rice range that will produce this type of bright vivid image. The real bonus has been for 3D. Many don't like 3D because it is just too dim in many setups. The HP single-handedly takes 3D to a new level due largely to its brightness. That's my 2 cents.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Mark has a right to voice his opinion. He has his reasons for not particularly being enamoured with the HP screen. The bottom line is that you actually have to try it to see if it works for you in your particular environment. There are some here who have moved away from the HP, while others have moved to it. I'm in the later category and moved to the 2.8 HP about 11 years ago. I've tried other screens, but have always come back and I am now confident that there's nothing else in its rice range that will produce this type of bright vivid image. The real bonus has been for 3D. Many don't like 3D because it is just too dim in many setups. The HP single-handedly takes 3D to a new level due largely to its brightness. That's my 2 cents.

+1
I just wish DaLite would listen to the feedback and return to the 2.8 formula. mad.gif
I never did get a clear explanation as to why they changed, but I assume it was somehow related to $$$$.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If it weren't for the picture quality in fast mode, I'd be interested in the 5030 (the Sony is just a bit out of budget for me). Can someone describe the real world experience of using fast mode for games? What's the IQ really like? I'm very picky.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

+1
I just wish DaLite would listen to the feedback and return to the 2.8 formula. mad.gif
I never did get a clear explanation as to why they changed, but I assume it was somehow related to $$$$.

+2

Although I actually like the 2.4 screen better than the 2.8 gain screen. Initially, I was unhappy that when I had to replace my 2.8 screen with the new material to get a larger screen due to the brightness drop. The 2.8 gain material was brighter in the sweet spot but outside of a seat or two the 2.4 screen maintains it's brightness better for the whole viewing area and also provides better flexibility when it comes to mounting the projector. In my setup I don't receive the full gain of the screen but I still get a nice gain from all 9 seats in my theater. With the 2.8 material I could see a brightness drop by simply moving my head 6-12 inches to the side. I don't see that with the new material.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

If it weren't for the picture quality in fast mode, I'd be interested in the 5030 (the Sony is just a bit out of budget for me). Can someone describe the real world experience of using fast mode for games? What's the IQ really like? I'm very picky.

Credit: Projector Central
"Game Mode/Fast Processing: Input lag is a problem that can affect game scores, so having minimal lag between the signal's arrival and it's display is a big deal for serious gamers. The AE8000 has a specific Game Mode that is designed to minimize input lag. The 5030UB does not have a specific Game mode, but rather a "Fast" option (as opposed to "Fine") that can be applied to any of the operating modes. When in these operating modes, our test samples measured almost identical, 34ms on the AE8000 and 37ms on the 5030UB. However, the 5030UB's Fast mode imparts a noticeable softening of detail to the image, whereas there is no diminishment of sharpness on the AE8000."

Not sure if this will work or not. I'm at work and Youtube is blocked. If the link doesn't work, just manually search it in Youtube.
Youtube Video

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Old 11-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This week-end I will have the chance to play with some projectors.

Thanks to my dealer, I will test the 6030 and the Sony HW55 in my home theater smile.gif

A face to face that should be fun to do...
Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^ Please post your impressions when you get a chance.. thanks !!!
Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^ Please post your impressions when you get a chance.. thanks !!!

I will...

It should be a busy "techno-geek" week-end since I also just received my Lumagen 2041 biggrin.gif
Old 11-20-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you pick up the VW500?

Not yet but soon biggrin.gif
Old 11-20-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

I will...

It should be a busy "techno-geek" week-end since I also just received my Lumagen 2041 biggrin.gif

Make sure you check the IQ on game mode/fast mode on both projectors please.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Guys, I'm still trying to find some suitable projector screen candidates to go well with an RS-46 + budget Optoma combination..

For what I can tell, this Da-Lite High Powered screen is my only main option then ?

I ask because while majority seem to recommend it, there are some negative remarks regarding it too, here and there smile.gif

If I may ask, what's the main reason of this segregation, that some like it and others don't ?

On a sidenote, someone said its a 'HP' screen, and at first I was thinking its some screen made my Hewlett Packard rolleyes.gif

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com