post #721 of 8715 Old 11-07-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

that is so awesome Zombie. you're right, the epson pixels are scary up close. have you ever posted a photo of dlp pixel close ups? I searched the forum but can't find any.

try not to take it out context, I was just watching Despicable Me 3D tonight and the Epson 5020 looked great. But if we are comparing models, the Sony definitely has better white field and grey field uniformity. This hasn't really changed since the original Epson LCD's from years ago.

an inexpensive 3D DLP like the BQW7000 is going to have perfect pixel structure by design. There is no convergence necessary, so as long as the lens is relatively sharp, you'll see a pixel structure like this:

W7000fix-1.jpg

The single pixel pattern test is brutal on all but the best converged 3 Panel projectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8715 Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick D65 / Gamma calibration on the HW50 and Epson 5020.

The HW50 @ 2.2 gamma, at least on this sample, is excellent

calibrate1.jpg

This HW50 had a strong blue push that needed to be tamed. Once corrected, the colors track well.

calibrate2.jpg

Epson 5020 - 2.2 setting

calibrate4.jpg

Epson 5020 - 2.1 setting - gamma is going to need a custom tune to get it a little closer to expectations

calibrate5.jpg

Epson 5020 - post calibration - I can see the blue push @ 10% and it levels out a bit @ 20%. I have to play with this further to see if I can match the HW50 from 10-100.

calibrate3.jpg
post #723 of 8715 Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Its interesting, I just came back from Best Buy today (again) to look at the Epson 5010 (pretty much the same as the 5020) and the pixel structure looked exactly like the pics Zombie has taken. The pixel structure is very obvious from 3 or 4 feet from the screen, which I despise. The Sony does look better based on the screens, but still can be spotted easily. This is why I'm excited about JVC's e-shift2 technology. No visible pixel structure is definitely better IMO.
post #724 of 8715 Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Here's 5020 #3 for my cousin and this unit is one of (if not) THE worst converged projectors that I have ever seen.

Jason

Wow that is hilariously bad. I don't know if convergence can get any worse than that! eek.gif
post #725 of 8715 Old 11-07-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard011 View Post

Thanks coderguy - This sums it up very well.

I added the summary to my "Top Projector Picks", but until I see the new ones at showrooms, and also get more input from Zombie on the JVC's, then it's just a preliminary thing that is part assumption. Some people do not like my Projector Picks Guide (I take no offense), but at the very least it does contain a lot of information that is not in this shootout thread that has been gathered through my own experiences, brute force, and verified research.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #726 of 8715 Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 PM

Liked: 16
Zombie, you don't do contrast measurements?
post #727 of 8715 Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

It creates controversy and might spew a bunch of arguments. It also really needs to be done with fairly high-end light meters ($800+). Although I would still welcome his measurements if he wants to take them on the equipment he currently uses (which isn't bad by any means, it's just contrast readings are hard to take reliably).

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #728 of 8715 Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 PM

Liked: 10
Hi

Coming from a sanyo z3000 which has done me very well for three years I'm finally unable to resist the upgrade bug any longer. The Z3000 had great convergence and of course the ingenious dust protection. I was considering a 5020 but the potential dust issues and more importantly lack of FI In 3D have made me go towards the Sony HW50. Coming from the Sanyo, do you think I need to be as worried about the lens discussions on the Sony? I've only got a smallish screen (77"). Thanks for any advice.
post #729 of 8715 Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
There are already a few stores in Germany that has the JVC X35 in stock. Don t understand why there s still not a single detailed review of the 3D performance of the JVCs
post #730 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Wow that is hilariously bad. I don't know if convergence can get any worse than that! eek.gif

eek.gif Indeed.

We have also noticed an issue on the 5020 that was not initially present on the 2nd unit but developed the next day, the 3rd unit, with the horrible convergence, had it right from initial fire up.

It can be seen with the good old Colorfacts tracking/phase pattern and is very concerning as it should not be there, if you would like to test it Zombie and do not have the Colorfacts test pattern software I can send it to you, it's very small (let me know).

Jason
post #731 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohobbit View Post

I get more and more disappointed by the RC of the HW50.
Yesterday I watched some scenes of SW Ep. V Bluray (love that movie..). There's always some grain in the scenes, easily to be seen in blurred backgrounds. This grain is "moving" around but it's relatively fine most of the time and not annoying. With the RC on, even at its absolute lowest setting this grain gets so heavily pronounced and ugly that I can't bear it! None of the NR-settings helped! also the "moving around"-effect gets pronounced so that you automatically look at these areas and get distracted!
And this is the case with many (older!?) movies that have been recorded on analogue film I think. As I wrote earlier, it's the same with Apollo 13 for example.
I do also sit relatively close to the screen, about 1.1 oder 1.2 times screen width. With such viewing distances you see every little bit of artifacts etc. that are on the disc or introduced digitally.
The next thing I'm going to try is to compare the normal sharpness slider vs. the RC-sharpness at its lowest setting. The normal sharpness setting does not enhance grain/noise that much I think.
zombie: Maybe you can also do such a comparison with the HW50?
The other thing I already mentioned in the HW50 owners thread: I have a lamp flickering issue in low lamp mode. Did you see anything like that with the HW50 you have at the moment?
And one other thing: I tried the 2D/3D conversion of the HW50 ( I know they all don't do a good job..) and it seems that the projector works with a reduced resolution when converting the images! You could see interlaced-like artifacts and jaggies everywhere!
Can you check this out as well, zombie? maybe taking some pictures of that effect if you can see it?
I'm not very impressed by this..

You could run the lamp in HIGH mode for an hour or two temporarily to see if the flickering stops, then go back to LOW if it does. That said, if I were you, I might try to exchange it once for a new Sony hw50 if you are unhappy, as you might have a bad unit. If after getting an exchange you still do not like it, then probably return it and get a different model.

Also, differing convergence can POTENTIALLY make noise easier to see in the image and sharpening algorithms can be affected by convergence unfortunately, so we have another unexpected variable to deal with when someone compares the RC on one projector to another, it will not always look the same (although it should look similar unless one Sony is very far off I would guess). That said, Zombie's Sony has very good convergence, so I can't see his statements being anything less than completely valid when he makes notes of the RC strength or weakness. Sharpening algorithms are always a mixed bag to some point. Now to make this more complex (I seem to be good at that), we not only have the baseline or natural convergence affecting the image, but overly correcting the convergence with the pixel adjust feature can even cause different or more severe problems with sharpening algorithms and/or image noise.

How is your convergence BTW?

post #732 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

We really don't know what to do until Zombie reviews the JVC's and Mits hc8000.
Benq w7000 = You are a 3D purist, and you strive for the best 3D beyond all else even at the expense of some other positive attributes like black levels. You also love sharpness and MIGHT do some gaming, but do not care as much about black levels or the movie experience as you do about 3D, sharpness, Sports, TV, etc... This also works great for 3D in giant screens with an HP (the Sony and Epson do as well, but the Benq is the 3D purist projector except for blacks). No lens memory or CIH rescaling for 2.35 screens.
Mits hc8000 = We just don't know until Zombie gets one, this is the one I am anxiously waiting for the review of. Should have Lens Memory, but probably will only work in calibrated modes for much smaller screens say 120" or less.
Sony hw50 = You watch enough 3D or Sports (or you are motion critical), or you do enough lag-sensitive gaming as to justify not having e-shift 2 and the slightly darker blacks of the JVC, and you are not OCD on sharpness. You do NOT need CIH / Lens Memory.
JVC (well we don't know how much 3D is better this year, but let's guess it's incremental only) = You value 2D movies and black levels and sharpness over other attributes. Gaming lag is not a high priority and you are also NOT a fanatic at spotting issues in motion, you watch ONLY very occasional 3D and are not a 3D person in general, even when you watch 3D you are not mesmerized by the effect and do not care if another projector has better 3D. You do not really need an "Ambient Light" or brightest mode like some of the other PJ's have, but you only care more about calibrated lumens (some other PJ's are better for super giant screens for sure). It has Lens Memory if you need it.
Panny 8000 (this is more guessing based on the 7000) = You want CIH and better 3D than the JVC's (but you are still not as critical on 3D as other things), you want the lower gaming lag, but like the Sony you are not as OCD on the sharpness as some in here are. You may also appreciate or like the SmoothScreen tech for the more invisible pixel fill vs. the Epson (the Panny looks more LCOS like slightly), especially if you sit VERY close to the screen (say 1.1x or less screen width).
Epson 5020 = You are a fan of LCD tech, you like an image that has a lot of POP in closeups (almost shimmering), but you do not need CIH or Lens Memory. You do want it a bit more naturally sharp than the Sony hw50es, but don't mind losing a bit of that film-like look compared to LCOS. You like having a huge range in brightness for 3D and 2D, with good 3D quality, but you are not willing to sacrifice lower black levels of the Benq w7000 just to get purist 3D.

How is benq w700 resolution in 3d ?
post #733 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:

We really don't know what to do until Zombie reviews the JVC's and Mits hc8000.
Benq w7000 = You are a 3D purist, and you strive for the best 3D beyond all else even at the expense of some other positive attributes like black levels. You also love sharpness and MIGHT do some gaming, but do not care as much about black levels or the movie experience as you do about 3D, sharpness, Sports, TV, etc... This also works great for 3D in giant screens with an HP (the Sony and Epson do as well, but the Benq is the 3D purist projector except for blacks). No lens memory or CIH rescaling for 2.35 screens.

Just curious. I am really swayed towards the w7000 for the sharpness, as well as good 3d image. Im not overly fussed about really deep blacks - as long as the shadows and highlights are ok then thats fine for me for movies.

My main concern is the brightness. I sit about 3m away from a 96 inch diagonal screen. Will this projector be too bright to watch normal TV etc.

Thanks
post #734 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 05:07 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

unfortunately it's the one projector I don't have access to unless a member wants to donate theirs for a few days in exchange for a free 2D/3D calibration. smile.gif
i'm sure there will be plenty of member feedback on this model over the next few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

It would be great if we could get Zombie a Panasonic 8000 to run through to see how it measures up with the others. We know it would be on par with the Sony 50 lag wise for gaming, FI in 3d, motorized lens, lens memory, etc.......might be a better overall option vs the 5020.
Quote:

If he can get one, I'm sure he'd be fair and tell it like it is

I offered it to Panasonic AE8000 owners two weeks ago, but unfortunately:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432437/official-owners-thread-panasonic-pt-ae8000u-us-version-pt-at6000e-european-version/120#post_22520065
post #735 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 05:15 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwsheff View Post

My main concern is the brightness. I sit about 3m away from a 96 inch diagonal screen. Will this projector be too bright to watch normal TV etc.
Thanks
With "cinema" mode, lamp on "eco" and zoom on "tele" I'm pretty sure for many people it won't be too bright.
post #736 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
To the Z3000 person, and re: sharpness discussion...

My experience from owning a Sanyo Z2000 for 4 years, is that even thought the convergence was not perfect, the sharpness was really outstanding. A showing/demo of the HW50 left me disappointed in terms of sharpness (my only gripe), but enough so that I am having a hard time purchasing this as a replacement for my current PJ.

MY OPINION, is that the higher the pixel fillrate, the lower perceived sharpness. Also, the poorer the convergence, the lower the perceived sharpness.

Put another way: If I take my Sanyo and Defocus it a little until the SDE is gone (pixels blend slightly onto each other) then I have a similar pixel structure to that of a fully focused HW50. And yes, the image on my Sanyo in this scenario looks just as 'unsharp as the Sony does.

I dont want to start a debate... this is my own observation. I know there was a lot of discussion (and a good white paper) on Panasonics Smoothscreen technology with regards to sharpness. Still, my brain tells me that my eyes are seeing a less sharp, image, and THAT is all that counts!
Grazza B likes this.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #737 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Its interesting, I just came back from Best Buy today (again) to look at the Epson 5010 (pretty much the same as the 5020) and the pixel structure looked exactly like the pics Zombie has taken. The pixel structure is very obvious from 3 or 4 feet from the screen, which I despise. The Sony does look better based on the screens, but still can be spotted easily. This is why I'm excited about JVC's e-shift2 technology. No visible pixel structure is definitely better IMO.

The 5010 pixel structure threw me for curve last year when I first saw it. I don't mind it from seating distance, but I wish the white / gray color uniformity was better on the 5020. This seems to be inherent to the LCD technology as we've seen the pink / blue tint variation dating back to the original LCD's.

Comparing the HW50 / Epson 5020 / JVC RS55 color uniformity, the JVC take the win without a doubt. It's practically flawless on my particular copy. I hope to see the same performance from the upcoming models.
post #738 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Volk View Post

Zombie, you don't do contrast measurements?

negative, I have a well calibrated color meter, but not the expensive, required light meter for taking such measurements. It's only a matter of time before Cine4home provides the most accurate #'s out there.

The goal of this thread is to have a running discussion of the new models, direct 3D comparisons (nothing beats 'through the lens 3D screenshots' - less words, more photos..) and direct A/B comparisons of the new sharpening technologies like reality creation, super resolution, e-shift 1 and 2, Darbee, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

There are already a few stores in Germany that has the JVC X35 in stock. Don t understand why there s still not a single detailed review of the 3D performance of the JVCs

The JVC's are still a few weeks away from the US. I know everyone is anxious to hear about the 3D performance. Hopefully some folks who get their early copies in the Germany can provide some feedback before we get a chance to see them here.
post #739 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Liked: 11
Well yep I'm on what should be my 3rd 5020, but like my cousin posted the 3rd one was so much worse than the 2nd I returned the 3rd one and got my 2nd one back. My first unit had the pink tint on the sides that zombie showed pics of so I returned that unit, the 2nd unit had no pink whatsoever was very solid in the color uniformity, but like he said..the first day we threw up the cft pattern and had it look great, the 2nd day when we fired it up, there was noticeable blocks/bars all through the pattern. I will have my cousin post pics of what it looks like and should look like. Zombie I would love to know if the model you have has the same issue, My cousin offered to send you the very small test pattern, less than a meg I believe, so you can test it out too! At least the place I bought it from is willing to help and offered me an "E" model at no extra charge!
post #740 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

The 5010 pixel structure threw me for curve last year when I first saw it. I don't mind it from seating distance, but I wish the white / gray color uniformity was better on the 5020. This seems to be inherent to the LCD technology as we've seen the pink / blue tint variation dating back to the original LCD's.
Comparing the HW50 / Epson 5020 / JVC RS55 color uniformity, the JVC take the win without a doubt. It's practically flawless on my particular copy. I hope to see the same performance from the upcoming models.

Hello. I'm on my first 5020 and it replaced the Panasonic 8k because I had a noticeable pink area in the left corner. My 5020 does have the slight pink to white in certain display modes, like THX, however it is at least a uniform transition from top to bottom (very slight pink to white). Personally, I like the Cinema mode as it has a much more uniform white display. Not as good as my JVC RS40 that I sold recently, but the black levels to my eye seem just as good and the sharpness is definitely better.

Zombie, did you go through the manual LCD panel alignment process? I did it a couple of times with very good results.

As far as pixel structure goes, I'm not sure why people get hung up on this so much. Granted, as mentioned before, it all depends on your eye sight, distance to screen and screen size. But, that can be said for any technology right now. Sure, LCOS has better pixel fill, but sitting too close still does not yield a pleasurable experience. You can sit closer, but then you notice that it's not as sharp as the LCD or DLP projectors. If you go to a state of the art movie theater with a Sony 4K or 3 chip DLP projectors and get too close to the screen, you can see pixel structure and the holes in the screen. My point is, it's all relative. I went and looked at the pixel structure pictures Zoombie posted comparing the epson and sony and in the cropped picture of captain america's face, what I noticed the most was the better sharpness of his face with the epson. Sure I could see more pixel structure, but I would never sit that close to the screen (13 feet away, 120 inch screen).

Question - which technology has less motion blur?
post #741 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
One reason the SXRD units are perceived as being softer is because of the tight interpixel spacing (the small grid lines between pixels). The ability to see individual pixels due to the larger grid lines on LCD units can be misinterpretted as better sharpness. This is because the pixel appears more defined. I know when I first fired up my HW30 I thought it looked soft but I found that detail was not suffering on test patterns and on other high resolution image.
Elix likes this.

post #742 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklein2 View Post

Hello. I'm on my first 5020 and it replaced the Panasonic 8k because I had a noticeable pink area in the left corner. My 5020 does have the slight pink to white in certain display modes, like THX, however it is at least a uniform transition from top to bottom (very slight pink to white). Personally, I like the Cinema mode as it has a much more uniform white display. Not as good as my JVC RS40 that I sold recently, but the black levels to my eye seem just as good and the sharpness is definitely better.

Zombie, did you go through the manual LCD panel alignment process? I did it a couple of times with very good results.

As far as pixel structure goes, I'm not sure why people get hung up on this so much. Granted, as mentioned before, it all depends on your eye sight, distance to screen and screen size. But, that can be said for any technology right now. Sure, LCOS has better pixel fill, but sitting too close still does not yield a pleasurable experience. You can sit closer, but then you notice that it's not as sharp as the LCD or DLP projectors. If you go to a state of the art movie theater with a Sony 4K or 3 chip DLP projectors and get too close to the screen, you can see pixel structure and the holes in the screen. My point is, it's all relative. I went and looked at the pixel structure pictures Zoombie posted comparing the epson and sony and in the cropped picture of captain america's face, what I noticed the most was the better sharpness of his face with the epson. Sure I could see more pixel structure, but I would never sit that close to the screen (13 feet away, 120 inch screen).

Question - which technology has less motion blur?

Hi, I did go through the entire zone based alignment. It helps, but the white crosshairs never appear 'white' due to the pixel spacing. The single pixel pattern test on the AVS HD disk is the best way to see this.

I think the pixel structure is an important topic because of different setups. I sit ~ 14 feet from a 142" 2.8HP screen. The brightness and size is very unforgiving and doesn't hide much. I've seen a number of 5010's that I calibrated last year, each one had variations of white and gray field uniformity. This may not bother some, but it's part of the discussion of the mini-shootout thread.

Of the current projectors I have, the W7000 3D DLP is the most natural with motion. 3D can look a little choppy on the 5020 in comparison to the W7000 (only really seen in a direct A/B setting) but I can see the difference. Motion Flow on the Sony HW50 helps in this area quite a bit. I would have liked to see Epson use the FI in 3D this year, it would have been a noticeable upgrade from the 5020.
post #743 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Liked: 11
Everytime my cousin did the manual pixel alignment on both my 5020's we tried it on..wherever the adjustments were made, gave the screen a strong bluish green tint..including text on a htpc desktop and on the epson menu screen. It does not seem to work properly. We should post videos or pics of what is going on. I'll see if my cousin is up for it tomorrow night!
post #744 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Hi, I did go through the entire zone based alignment. It helps, but the white crosshairs never appear 'white' due to the pixel spacing. The single pixel pattern test on the AVS HD disk is the best way to see this.
I think the pixel structure is an important topic because of different setups. I sit ~ 14 feet from a 142" 2.8HP screen. The brightness and size is very unforgiving and doesn't hide much. I've seen a number of 5010's that I calibrated last year, each one had variations of white and gray field uniformity. This may not bother some, but it's part of the discussion of the mini-shootout thread.
Of the current projectors I have, the W7000 3D DLP is the most natural with motion. 3D can look a little choppy on the 5020 in comparison to the W7000 (only really seen in a direct A/B setting) but I can see the difference. Motion Flow on the Sony HW50 helps in this area quite a bit. I would have liked to see Epson use the FI in 3D this year, it would have been a noticeable upgrade from the 5020.

Wow... 142" with 2.8 gain? I thought I read that once you go much above 1.3 gain, a high gain screen will start to introduce uneven light reflective properties (hot spotting). I can't remember the terminology, but the point I'm making is maybe your setup does contribute to your higher sensitivity to the pixel structure. Like you said, the viewing environment plays a big role.

I just hope people don't rule out the LCD technology strictly based on your somewhat unique viewing environment. In my environment (13 feet on a SI HD Solar 1.3 screen), you might come to different conclusions. So many factors to consider when making this decision.
post #745 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

Wow... 142" with 2.8 gain? I thought I read that once you go much above 1.3 gain, a high gain screen will start to introduce uneven light reflective properties (hot spotting). I can't remember the terminology, but the point I'm making is maybe your setup does contribute to your higher sensitivity to the pixel structure. Like you said, the viewing environment plays a big role.
I just hope people don't rule out the LCD technology strictly based on your somewhat unique viewing environment. In my environment (13 feet on a SI HD Solar 1.3 screen), you might come to different conclusions. So many factors to consider when making this decision.

The HP screen does not hot spot. This is a very common misconception among those who are not familiar with this screen, but it absolutely does not hot spot.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #746 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Liked: 16
Very anxiously awaiting to see how this all plays out. Something I haven't seen stated outright, but maybe you guys can help me out here. Just how BAD is the 3D on the JVCs? The thing is, I like everything that the JVCs seem to offer aside from their poor 3D performance. Like most people I'll mostly be watching 2D, but there are movies (like Avatar) that just scream to be watched in 3D and I want to have that ability at my disposal. I've only seen 3D in an actual movie theater with passive lenses and a short demo of Transformers Dark of the Moon on the HW30 (which looked good). One thing I HATED about the Sony was that the IR glasses quickly lost sync if I so much as slightly turned my head away. For this reason RF glasses appeal to me. I'm in St. Louis and haven't found a place that has a JVC on display locally that I can watch to make my own decision on how 3D quality is.

And I'm sure it will get suggested at some point, but I don't have the budget or the extra space to have a two projector setup. So that one is ruled out.

post #747 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Dalite high power screen does not hot spot like you are thinking. My screen is very uniform from 14' @ 142" 16:9. I have several different screens, the HP is my personal preference. I look at all the projectors on screens from 1.0 to 2.8 gain.

In the mini-shoot out threads, we take a close look at each of the projectors in the thread title and expand on the pros/cons of each model. None are perfect and the object is to provide feedback so folks can make a decision based on what features are most important to them.

The 5020 is a very nice overall 2D and 3D projector and the older 5010 has a nice sized following. The color & gray field uniformity is something that is a little distracting to me, but most folks aren't likely going to be bothered by it.
post #748 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok2022 View Post

Very anxiously awaiting to see how this all plays out. Something I haven't seen stated outright, but maybe you guys can help me out here. Just how BAD is the 3D on the JVCs? The thing is, I like everything that the JVCs seem to offer aside from their poor 3D performance. Like most people I'll mostly be watching 2D, but there are movies (like Avatar) that just scream to be watched in 3D and I want to have that ability at my disposal. I've only seen 3D in an actual movie theater with passive lenses and a short demo of Transformers Dark of the Moon on the HW30 (which looked good). One thing I HATED about the Sony was that the IR glasses quickly lost sync if I so much as slightly turned my head away. For this reason RF glasses appeal to me. I'm in St. Louis and haven't found a place that has a JVC on display locally that I can watch to make my own decision on how 3D quality is.

And I'm sure it will get suggested at some point, but I don't have the budget or the extra space to have a two projector setup. So that one is ruled out.

The new HW50 has a powerful built in emitter than is much better than the external that was used with the HW30.

The upcoming JVC's are just being released in Germany and still a few weeks away from landing in the US. There are some early opinions from some trusted sources (Cine4home & AreaDVD) that the new JVC's have improved vs. last year. We'll take a close look at this when they are released.

I am glad they switched to RF as well.
post #749 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doerrvvseals View Post

My 5020 is getting ordered tomorrow...was really really hoping you were getting that today so I could see the impressions you had...but yes that hurricane looks nasty..I live in portland oregon and we never have earthquakes or hurricanes here...just lots of rain, praying for all the people on the east coast!7.gif

Dude, how would you like your 5020 calibrated for free? I've acquired an Epson LPE filter from Europe for the 5020 and I'd like to test it out for a writeup here on AVS. (I don't currently have an Epson 5020.) PM me if you're interested and we can talk...
post #750 of 8715 Old 11-08-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

Dude, how would you like your 5020 calibrated for free? I've acquired an Epson LPE filter from Europe for the 5020 and I'd like to test it out for a writeup here on AVS. (I don't currently have an Epson 5020.) PM me if you're interested and we can talk...

I've been trying to get a hold of this filter.. can you PM me where you got it from? thx
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page