Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 268 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8011 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Luckily for 3D the Chinese seem to enjoy it. Apparently China has the second largest movie attendance in the world. Maybe I'll have to import 3D movies from there.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/china-box-office-hobbit-2-683218
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

I consider it a gimmick in that I believe that the decision to move toward 3D, in many instances, is due more to the suits wanting to increase the bottom line then it is due to an artist wanting to take advantage of a new technology.

And for those of you who are annoyed when we "act as if everyone agrees with us" and "demand that 3D go away." Imagine this if you will; a world, no better yet, forum for audio enthusiasts where Bose is praised on a daily basis.

"Have you heard the new Bose?" they ask.
"So glad this soundtrack is playable on my Bose," they coo.
"Oh good, this sound system is Bose certified," they boast.
"I had to pay extra for the Bose version of the movie, but man, was it worth it!" they inexplicably cry.

How frustrated would you become? You've heard Bose. You KNOW, in our own mind, that it stinks. You KNOW that it's causing the price of the elements of the hobby you love to be much higher than they should be. You DO NOT WANT the Bose version of anything, and yet Bose is crowding out everything. You feel like you are in a real-life version of Invasion of the Ear snatchers. How can these otherwise intelligent people actually LIKE, SUPPORT, and CHEER for Bose???? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE? So you post your reasons for disliking Bose, why its technology is gimmicky, and people tell you to shutup.

"STOP OFFENDING THE ARTISTS' RIGHT TO USE THE BOSE!!!!" they demand!

Do you see how that would be a wee bit frustrating. So, when you hear us complain, please just let us vent a bit. K?

Vent away. As the old expression goes, I don't agree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. biggrin.gif

For the record, I never told anyone to shut up. On the contrary, I was put off by those in the old thread who wanted 3D enthusiasts to stop talking about 3D and go start their own thread. They thought 3D wasn't worthy of the attention some of us were giving it. It got testy, and since then I've been a little overly sensitive to the anti-3D "tone" that I perceived as leading to that ouster. I think of this thread as a 3D sanctuary, with a lot of like-minded 3D enthusiasts. However, I certainly don't think of all the negative 3D comments as inappropriate. I appreciate them, because they're a solid reminder that a lot of people don't like 3D. It has a plenty of room for improvement if it expects to win over the critics. Indeed, I have come to suspect that some people simply experience 3D differently than I do (on a physical level), and that those folks will never embrace it. Again, it's only the self-righteous tone that, for me, bubbles under the surface of some comments that gets to me. It's as if someone had said, "You've seen 3D. You KNOW, in our own mind, that 3D stinks. You KNOW that it's causing the price of the elements of the hobby you love to be much higher than they should be. You DO NOT WANT the 3D version of anything, and yet 3D is crowding out everything. You feel like you are in a real-life version of Invasion of the Eye snatchers. How can these otherwise intelligent people actually LIKE, SUPPORT, and CHEER for 3D???? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?" Perhaps it would be inaccurate to interpret this as a wrong-minded tone, but this otherwise intelligent person would find such a comment offensive.

Seriously, your Bose analogy doesn't sway me. Like the word "gimmick," it builds its case from a really shaky premise. Starting a debate with a negatively charged word like gimmick "assumes facts not in evidence." It's an easy thing for 3D critics to latch onto, because its a term people have heard so often that it's taken on its own "truth." You appeal to the part of the audience that believes the cliche, just by using the word. Many of them won't need to hear any other part of your argument, because they're already "on your side." Citing an example (or several) of how 3D has been used as a gimmick doesn't prove anything about 3D in general. It just proves that filmmakers who use 3D as a gimmick are usually lazy. Gimmicks are easy. Creativity is hard. Analogizing my support of 3D with support of Bose is misdirection, since they're very different things. Without intending any disrespect for Bose owners, Bose is a speaker brand that doesn't deliver the kind of sound I want for my home theater. A lot of people feel this way. Equating support for 3D with support for Bose is not so subtle "guilt by association." Again, sorry Bose owners. Honestly, no offense intended, but anti-Bose sentiment is a fairly common way of implying you're a member of an audio elite. In this argument, you're part of the same club that doesn't like 3D - that is, the club that appreciates quality and is RIGHT.

K, enough heaviness from me. But it's not as though this thread shies away from the "heavy" topics and disagreements, is it? I try to stay out of discussions about the minutiae of display calibration. There, I'd come off as REALLY dumb, instead of just opinionated to the point of being unbalanced. (Caps used for emphasis and to prove I'm sincere and right. I really am dumb when it comes to display calibration.)
Charles R likes this.

Joe Clark

post #8013 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Yes the 3D in a fantastic animation like Frozen is gimmick... it looks amazing in the right setup.

There is always a 2D version so the crusade to make it go away makes little sense just don't watch it in 3D and let the others enjoy it.

Joseph is right, this thread and the predecessor started as a 3D discussion for those that were interested in it since many 2D only folks didn't want to hear about it. The 2 threads combined have a huge amount of views, one of the most popular on forum. We must be doing something right.

3D will live on for some time, just ignore it if it doesn't have any interest.

+1
post #8014 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Yes the 3D in a fantastic animation like Frozen is gimmick... it looks amazing in the right setup.

There is always a 2D version so the crusade to make it go away makes little sense just don't watch it in 3D and let the others enjoy it.

Joseph is right, this thread and the predecessor started as a 3D discussion for those that were interested in it since many 2D only folks didn't want to hear about it. The 2 threads combined have a huge amount of views, one of the most popular on forum. We must be doing something right.

3D will live on for some time, just ignore it if it doesn't have any interest.

I think I've explained why we can't just ignore the latest 3D craze. I don't feel like explaining it again. I thought people came to this thread to talk about projectors. I don't mind hearing about the relative quality of 3D on these projectors, but sometimes the focus on 3D drives me nuts. Still, I usually keep quiet. But if you are going to outright address me regarding it:

"some folks on the forum have been crusading against 3D since it's re-intro in 2009. I'm not sure I get it. if you don't like it, just watch it in 2D."

then I'm going to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Vent away. As the old expression goes, I don't agree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. biggrin.gif

For the record, I never told anyone to shut up. On the contrary, I was put off by those in the old thread who wanted 3D enthusiasts to stop talking about 3D and go start their own thread. They thought 3D wasn't worthy of the attention some of us were giving it. It got testy, and since then I've been a little overly sensitive to the anti-3D "tone" that I perceived as leading to that ouster. I think of this thread as a 3D sanctuary, with a lot of like-minded 3D enthusiasts. However, I certainly don't think of all the negative 3D comments as inappropriate. I appreciate them, because they're a solid reminder that a lot of people don't like 3D. It has a plenty of room for improvement if it expects to win over the critics. Indeed, I have come to suspect that some people simply experience 3D differently than I do (on a physical level), and that those folks will never embrace it. Again, it's only the self-righteous tone that, for me, bubbles under the surface of some comments that gets to me. It's as if someone had said, "You've seen 3D. You KNOW, in our own mind, that 3D stinks. You KNOW that it's causing the price of the elements of the hobby you love to be much higher than they should be. You DO NOT WANT the 3D version of anything, and yet 3D is crowding out everything. You feel like you are in a real-life version of Invasion of the Eye snatchers. How can these otherwise intelligent people actually LIKE, SUPPORT, and CHEER for 3D???? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?" Perhaps it would be inaccurate to interpret this as a wrong-minded tone, but this otherwise intelligent person would find such a comment offensive.

Seriously, your Bose analogy doesn't sway me. Like the word "gimmick," it builds its case from a really shaky premise. Starting a debate with a negatively charged word like gimmick "assumes facts not in evidence." It's an easy thing for 3D critics to latch onto, because its a term people have heard so often that it's taken on its own "truth." You appeal to the part of the audience that believes the cliche, just by using the word. Many of them won't need to hear any other part of your argument, because they're already "on your side." Citing an example (or several) of how 3D has been used as a gimmick doesn't prove anything about 3D in general. It just proves that filmmakers who use 3D as a gimmick are usually lazy. Gimmicks are easy. Creativity is hard. Analogizing my support of 3D with support of Bose is misdirection, since they're very different things. Without intending any disrespect for Bose owners, Bose is a speaker brand that doesn't deliver the kind of sound I want for my home theater. A lot of people feel this way. Equating support for 3D with support for Bose is not so subtle "guilt by association." Again, sorry Bose owners. Honestly, no offense intended, but anti-Bose sentiment is a fairly common way of implying you're a member of an audio elite. In this argument, you're part of the same club that doesn't like 3D - that is, the club that appreciates quality and is RIGHT.

K, enough heaviness from me. But it's not as though this thread shies away from the "heavy" topics and disagreements, is it? I try to stay out of discussions about the minutiae of display calibration. There, I'd come off as REALLY dumb, instead of just opinionated to the point of being unbalanced. (Caps used for emphasis and to prove I'm sincere and right. I really am dumb when it comes to display calibration.)

I use gimmick because it is an accurate description of how I feel about the technology. "A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business." From my perspective, that definition is just about perfect. If someone else is "already on my side," then you're right, they probably don't need to read the rest of my argument because to them, it's going to sound pretty eerily similar to how they view 3D. That, in and of itself, lends some credibility to our arguments. If you will notice, however, I didn't use the word gimmick until AFTER I had outlined my case. So really, people should be able to judge my reasoning on it's own merit. I think most people around here are intelligent enough to come up with their own opinions without being swayed by a single word used at the end of a long argument. wink.gif Also, you may have missed the part where I said that it was fine for some to like 3D. The issue I have is with 3D intruding into my enjoyment of this hobby. It limits my choices and increases its cost. That annoys me.

The Bose analogy was meant mainly to describe the experience of the 3D hater in a forum like this, and with our friends and neighbors. As an aside, luckily, most of my friends and neighbors have turned against 3D, without my influence. They've finally come to discover many of the points that I have mentioned on their own, and now avoid 3D movies. I think this is probably a broad movement among non-AV enthusiasts, so I am very happy about that.

Nothing I've said was meant to suggest 3D lovers are less intelligent. Like you said, maybe our brains work differently. But yes, I want that god-awful (from my perspective) technology to take a backseat again.

PS. I use ALL CAPS to invoke intonation, not superiority. I (most people) do that in real life as well.
post #8015 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Transcendence is in 2D only and that isn't saving it! So much for 2D. BTW -- once a "gimmick" is accepted as the norm it's no longer considered a gimmick. For example; motor cars, silent movies, talkies, colour in film, T.V., colour T.V. and on and on. Many thought these things were gimmicks in their time, especially if one was committed to the thing they were replacing. biggrin.gif

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transcendence_2014/reviews/
post #8016 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
How does 3D intrude on the enjoyment of this hobby, limit the choices and increase cost?

Imo, the projector market was stagnating before 2010 and then the 3D craze began. Now we have affordable projectors like the RS46, Epson 5030 and the HW55 that have more light output and better contrast than their predecessor's did.

This isn't just technology marches on, I believe that the race to have 3D had a little something to do with it.

What else really is there to say, if someone doesn't like 3D then just ignore it buy the projector that doesn't ship with glasses, no extra cost. Go to the 2D showing of the movie and pocket the extra $$.

Btw, this is a projector thread that I've invested a considerable amount of time into at zero cost to the readers. Thankfully we have a lot of contributors but it's not a rant thread for those against 3D.
HoustonHoyaFan likes this.
post #8017 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Transcendence is in 2D only and that isn't saving it! So much for 2D. BTW -- once a "gimmick" is accepted as the norm it's no longer considered a gimmick. For example; motor cars, silent movies, talkies, colour in film, T.V., colour T.V. and on and on. Many thought these things were gimmicks in their time, especially if one was committed to the thing they were replacing. biggrin.gif

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transcendence_2014/reviews/

Guess time will tell. I won't be happy until they do away with the glasses, and/or make it so that the 3D requires a refocusing of my ocular lenses.

Quote:

How does 3D intrude on the enjoyment of this hobby, limit the choices and increase cost?

Imo, the projector market was stagnating before 2010 and then the 3D craze began. Now we have affordable projectors like the RS46, Epson 5030 and the HW55 that have more light output and better contrast than their predecessor's did.

This isn't just technology marches on, I believe that the race to have 3D had a little something to do with it.

What else really is there to say, if someone doesn't like 3D then just ignore it buy the projector that doesn't ship with glasses, no extra cost. Go to the 2D showing of the movie and pocket the extra $$.

Btw, this is a projector thread that I've invested a considerable amount of time into at zero cost to the readers. Thankfully we have a lot of contributors but it's not a rant thread for those against 3D.

I said I didn't want to say this again, so I'll just copy and paste my original bullets on the subject:
  • COST
  • Idiot friends who pressure the group to go to the more expensive and, in my opinion, worse experience of the 3D version
  • 3D versions monopolize larger screens at theaters
  • Some movies are not available in theaters in 2D
  • Having to pay extra because the better models of TVs and projectors include 3D

note: idiot friends <> people who like 3D. They are people who don't know what they like, but are easily swayed to want the latest and greatest.

I don't buy that the introduction of 3D has caused the price of projectors to come down.
If I buy certain models (usually the best) I am paying more for 3D.
Sometimes movies are not released in 2D, are projected on smaller screens, or are not digital.

Don't get defensive. Don't rant against people who don't like 2D. Let's just move along now.
post #8018 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What projectors have you owned and how do they compare to one another. That's the entry price for ranting in this thread... smile.gif

One of my best projectors is 2D only, I'm not someone who wants to see everything in 3D. My original post is that should be a standard for 3D since many of my experiences for 3D at top shelf theaters was weak. It looks amazing with my specific setup, large HP screen is the secret sauce.
post #8019 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Personally speaking I don't think 3D transforms the movie watching experience but when done right it definitely adds a little extra to the movie. In these cases I dont mind watching the 3D version. But unfortunately not every 3D movie is like this.
post #8020 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I don't buy that the introduction of 3D has caused the price of projectors to come down.

True, but some of those models would have never been produced without 3D buyers... economies of scale are very sensitive with PJ models.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #8021 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri View Post

True, but some of those models would have never been produced without 3D buyers... economies of scale are very sensitive with PJ models.

What else might have manufacturers have spent their research dollars on? What new features, improved specs, or technical innovations might we have had by now?
post #8022 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So the drive for 3D had nothing to do with brighter projectors with higher contrast at a lower cost.

What else was driving Epson, JVC and Sony the last 3 years. Before then, the market was stagnating and certainly more expensive than now.

What projector do you own?
post #8023 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

What else might have manufacturers have spent their research dollars on? What new features, improved specs, or technical innovations might we have had by now?

In the DLP world I think there needs to be some HUGE advances in light engine design. Other than Sim2 no one seems to be doing this. Sim2, with DLP, have created light engines that can produce a measured 8000:1 native contrast with full brightness. The next best out there is around 3000:1. Add in a well tuned DI and were talking about DLP being competitive with LCOS again. That's a good place to start I think....

For around $6000 I think another company could get away with a single chip .95" DC4 DLP projector that's similar to a Sim2 light path design and contrast, equivalent lens quality notwithstanding, but with single chip DLP you don't need to go crazy overboard to get a very sharp image anyways.
post #8024 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

At least for DLP, maybe nothing. TI has shown little interest in doing much of anything. At the rate at which manufacturers have been exiting the market with dropping flat panel prices, i think DLPs advantage w/ 3D has absolutely kept PJ prices down. Speculation? Sure. But no more than pondering what other things they'd have come up with.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #8025 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Mainstream alternatives to lamps - LED, laser. I'm going to guess that energy efficiency standards will force a replacement for lamps sooner than later. Too bad it wasn't sooner.
Mr. Hatcher likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #8026 of 8765 Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

Guess time will tell. I won't be happy until they do away with the glasses, and/or make it so that the 3D requires a refocusing of my ocular lenses.
I said I didn't want to say this again, so I'll just copy and paste my original bullets on the subject:
  • COST
  • Idiot friends who pressure the group to go to the more expensive and, in my opinion, worse experience of the 3D version
  • 3D versions monopolize larger screens at theaters
  • Some movies are not available in theaters in 2D
  • Having to pay extra because the better models of TVs and projectors include 3D

note: idiot friends <> people who like 3D. They are people who don't know what they like, but are easily swayed to want the latest and greatest.

Sometimes movies are not released in 2D, are projected on smaller screens, or are not digital.

Don't get defensive. Don't rant against people who don't like 2D. Let's just move along now.

Can you just shut up, so we can enjoy 3D without all the losers getting in on the "lets hate 3D" fad. Maybe your the idiot and not your friends?

3D is the future and Europe and China have really embraced 3D and it's not going anywhere. So, if you don't like it so much, then stop going to the movies! Nobody cares that you don't like 3D. Why does almost everybody on the internet spend SO MUCH TIME TALKING ABOUT STUFF THEY HATE? Nobody cares. I just can't understand when you hate something, you spend so much energy talking about how much you hate it. Why not spend more time talking about stuff you enjoy. I feel sad for internet trolls, as they must be very sad depressed people in real life. Your Bose analogy is so retarded on so many levels.....
Robert Clark likes this.
post #8027 of 8765 Old 04-18-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's something I had a passing interest in in the early 1970s. It quickly disappeared only to morph into 5.1 sound twenty-five years later.

http://www.currybet.net/cbet_blog/2008/01/quadraphonic-the-forgotten-sur.php

Perhaps the 3D of the 80's has morphed into the 3D of 2010 and beyond -- there's a much more judicious use of negative parallax and in many instances 3D is used to enhance the story not just wow with a few "gimmicky" effects. IMO both the video and sound should merge into an integrated whole that encourages the audience to forget they are in a home theatre. They should be transported to wherever the story is taking place so they can feel that they're there as a spectator in place and time -- this is called immersion. It's a good thing if you forget the movie is in 3D, just like it's a good thing that you forget you're listening to 7.1 surround. The idea is to enhance, not distract.
post #8028 of 8765 Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I love 3d and 2d and sometimes I feel like one over the other. Not sure what the issue is....if you don't like 3d, just watch the 2d version which you have the option to do with every blu ray release.

My biggest complaint is Beowulf has not seen a 3d blu ray release. If the streaming Netflix version is any indication, this title has very strong depth and pop and deserves a blu release! Great audio IMO as well. Anyone heard of a plan to release this?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #8029 of 8765 Old 04-18-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

My biggest complaint is Beowulf has not seen a 3d blu ray release. If the streaming Netflix version is any indication, this title has very strong depth and pop and deserves a blu release! Great audio IMO as well. Anyone heard of a plan to release this?

I saw this in 3D at the IMAX around 2008 (make that 2007) or so. Yes, it has some rather extreme use of 3D negative parallax. Wear body armour or keep a shield next to you if and when you get to see it in 3D at home! biggrin.gif

http://screenrant.com/review-beowulf-imax-3d-vic-1106/
post #8030 of 8765 Old 04-18-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Z, I don't own a 3D projector yet but have purchased the 3D versions of BD titles that we like for the last 2 or 3 years in preparation of owning a 3D projector. I still own my View-Master from many years ago wink.gif.

A side effect of 3D movie making that I love, most (not all) do not use near as much shaky, handheld camera crap!! If I want to see this style of camera work then we will watch America's Funniest Videos. The sad part is some of the camera work in some of the AFV's is better than some major titles that have been released, all IMO.
DaViD Boulet likes this.
post #8031 of 8765 Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Z, I don't own a 3D projector yet but have purchased the 3D versions of BD titles that we like for the last 2 or 3 years in preparation of owning a 3D projector. I still own my View-Master from many years ago wink.gif.

A side effect of 3D movie making that I love, most (not all) do not use near as much shaky, handheld camera crap!! If I want to see this style of camera work then we will watch America's Funniest Videos. The sad part is some of the camera work in some of the AFV's is better than some major titles that have been released, all IMO.

The shaky camera is not noticed so much on a small 50/60" TV, but when you have a big screen, it sure stands out. frown.gif
DaViD Boulet likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #8032 of 8765 Old 04-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I saw this in 3D at the IMAX around 2008 (make that 2007) or so. Yes, it has some rather extreme use of 3D negative parallax. Wear body armour or keep a shield next to you if and when you get to see it in 3D at home! biggrin.gif

http://screenrant.com/review-beowulf-imax-3d-vic-1106/

Exactly! I was surprised by how strong both depth and pop were. Hope to see this released at some point.

post #8033 of 8765 Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The shaky camera is not noticed so much on a small 50/60" TV, but when you have a big screen, it sure stands out. frown.gif

Yah I don't much like the shaky effect, also on a projector another thing that can bother the eyes is when they go full white and full black in flashes (like in a horror movie). When you watch the image at 20-30 fL that can hurt the eyes.

I'm at the Syracuse airport ending my work trip, first time I've been to NY state (other than NY city). Not a bad place, but NY'rs need to learn how to design roads (roundabouts here = suicide).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #8034 of 8765 Old 04-18-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Here it is mid-April 2014 and reviews of projectors people purchased months ago are just being published now. The JVC love-in continues. My problem is that these projectors just can't do 3D properly and I've lost interest in anything lamp based.

For those that haven't seen it yet here's Art's take on the JVC 4910.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/jvc-dla-rs4910-and-dla-rs49-projector-review/
post #8035 of 8765 Old 04-18-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:

Here it is mid-April 2014 and reviews of projectors people purchased months ago are just being published now. The JVC love-in continues. My problem is that these projectors just can't do 3D properly and I've lost interest in anything lamp based.
/

That is a problem. You're missing out on some truly amazing 2D performance available from these machines. wink.gif
post #8036 of 8765 Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

That is a problem. You're missing out on some truly amazing 2D performance available from these machines. wink.gif

Here's what I want JVC to do: 1) move to lasers; 2) eliminate cross-talk completely from 3D; 3) give me more brightness for 3D; 4) provide exceptional 2D to 3D real-time conversion; 5) be maintenance-free; and 6) provide all this for under $7,000. wink.gif Maybe in a couple of years.

I bought my wife a rather expensive 1080p lampless projector so she could watch countless episodes of her favourite shows on Netflix and I am surprised just how much I use it for everything -- 2D and 3D. It's turned on and off many times a day and sometimes it's on for five or six hours. I surf the web with it, use it as a T.V. and use it as a movie projector. I now feel free to use a projector as I please rather than constantly worrying about the lamp usage, etc. I'd be surprised if there were anymore lamp based projectors in my future.
post #8037 of 8765 Old 04-19-2014, 06:43 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here's what I want JVC to do: 1) move to lasers; 2) eliminate cross-talk completely from 3D; 3) give me more brightness for 3D; 4) provide exceptional 2D to 3D real-time conversion; 5) be maintenance-free; and 6) provide all this for under $7,000. wink.gif Maybe in a couple of years.

I bought my wife a rather expensive 1080p lampless projector so she could watch countless episodes of her favourite shows on Netflix and I am surprised just how much I use it for everything -- 2D and 3D. It's turned on and off many times a day and sometimes it's on for five or six hours. I surf the web with it, use it as a T.V. and use it as a movie projector. I now feel free to use a projector as I please rather than constantly worrying about the lamp usage, etc. I'd be surprised if there were anymore lamp based projectors in my future.

This won't be a popular opinion, but here it goes. I wish JVC would drop 3d completely and just focus on 2d. They will never catch up with DLP most likely for flicker/ghosting and who buys a JVC for 3d anyway? If your buying a JVC, your main goal is awesome 2d with 3d as more of an afterthought, or not at all as is the case with me and others who prefer a second DLP projector for that purpose (or don't have interest in 3d). I would like to see JVC focus on what they do best which is obviously 2d.

post #8038 of 8765 Old 04-19-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I wonder is there a laser projector out there that can compete with the JVC x500 for picture qualty for 4 grand? lucky for me I got 3 bulbs with mine so I use it like a tv.

James Reid:D
post #8039 of 8765 Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 321
At last count there were 18 such projectors. I trust my answer is better than your question. Maybe others will chime in to give you the help you need. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #8040 of 8765 Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
" I trust my answer is better than your question."

Not sure what you mean.lol

James Reid:D
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page