post #8191 of 9848 Old 04-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I think Seegs mentioned something about a rumor of a new lens for 2015.

They need to do more than just 4K and a new lens. If they could keep the blacklevel and increese the brightness (difficult) and get higher intrascene contrast, better 3D, better processing++ I would really like it.

And Sony really need to do something with the blacklevel and keep the brightness to compete with this "fantasy" 4K JVC of mine.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 9848 Old 04-27-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Seegs, you probably have not got to it yet (not trying to rush you smile.gif ), but I would still be really curious to hear your thoughts on the CMD on the X500 and if you notice the talked about banding with blu ray sources since I know you have a good critical eye. Would really love to see your findings on this when you get a chance. If you do find banding, I am curious if turning eshift on/off eliminates it or not. Thanks!

I'll see what I can do. I'm not a huge fan of any frame interpolation system as I don't like the look of it. The only time I've used it was on The Hobbit films to try and get that 48fps look back. I'll test it out tonight and see if I can spot any banding. Though that may prove to be difficult as my X500 has started to show symptoms of a processing board (or something else) gone bad:

Looks like this unit may need to be sent back or sent in for repair. I'm debating which to do as this unit has excellent convergence and an excellent lens sample.
post #8193 of 9848 Old 04-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

I am not sure if reading this forum is a good thing or bad, I keep hearing about this banding issue on the X500 and I have yet to see it. I hope I never do or I might not be able to enjoy my awesome projector. wink.gif I mean if you have to pause a movie on a specific scene to see a default then things are good. biggrin.gif

Those who have reported the issue first noticed it in motion with real world material which is why I want to know more about it as I am very sensitive to this type of thing.

Seegs, thanks man and sounds good. Sorry to hear you found an issue and hope you can get it resolved quickly.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #8194 of 9848 Old 04-27-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I'll see what I can do. I'm not a huge fan of any frame interpolation system as I don't like the look of it. The only time I've used it was on The Hobbit films to try and get that 48fps look back. I'll test it out tonight and see if I can spot any banding. Though that may prove to be difficult as my X500 has started to show symptoms of a processing board (or something else) gone bad:

Looks like this unit may need to be sent back or sent in for repair. I'm debating which to do as this unit has excellent convergence and an excellent lens sample.

That suck, hope you get it taken care of soon
post #8195 of 9848 Old 04-27-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Seegs, you probably have not got to it yet (not trying to rush you smile.gif ), but I would still be really curious to hear your thoughts on the CMD on the X500 and if you notice the talked about banding with blu ray sources since I know you have a good critical eye. Would really love to see your findings on this when you get a chance. If you do find banding, I am curious if turning eshift on/off eliminates it or not. Thanks!

I haven't watched any animated titles lately but if I were you I would expect it to be there (unless it varies from unit to unit). I've recently seen vertical banding in Captain America, The Amazing Spider-Man, and Rocky (mastered in 4k). I've only noticed it a few times and it has been in areas that are bright and mostly solid colored areas. I have CMD on high though. Can't remember if it was TAS or Rocky but in one of the scenes I saw horizontal banding but I didn't turn off CMD nor did I try another dispaly to see if it was in the source. If I go looking for it I'll probably see it more, however I'm trying to forget this problem exists or I know I'll start seeing it more and more. In this area ignorance is a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

I am not sure if reading this forum is a good thing or bad, I keep hearing about this banding issue on the X500 and I have yet to see it. I hope I never do or I might not be able to enjoy my awesome projector. wink.gif I mean if you have to pause a movie on a specific scene to see a default then things are good. biggrin.gif

My suggestion is don't look for it. I'm very pleased with my RS4910 but small things like this nag at those who are picky and unfortunately I fall into that category. frown.gif
post #8196 of 9848 Old 04-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I haven't watched any animated titles lately but if I were you I would expect it to be there (unless it varies from unit to unit). I've recently seen vertical banding in Captain America, The Amazing Spider-Man, and Rocky (mastered in 4k). I've only noticed it a few times and it has been in areas that are bright and mostly solid colored areas. I have CMD on high though. Can't remember if it was TAS or Rocky but in one of the scenes I saw horizontal banding but I didn't turn off CMD nor did I try another dispaly to see if it was in the source. If I go looking for it I'll probably see it more, however I'm trying to forget this problem exists or I know I'll start seeing it more and more. In this area ignorance is a good thing.
My suggestion is don't look for it. I'm very pleased with my RS4910 but small things like this nag at those who are picky and unfortunately I fall into that category. frown.gif

Thanks for your findings and that is unfortunate. Some things I can ignore, but some things really catch my eye and banding falls in the latter category for me. Hope JVC can fix this since it is a significant negative for me.

post #8197 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Zombie had me try a couple things and the lines are gone...for now.

Anyways, I've been playing around more tonight with the 4K input option these new models have. I have to say that overall MadVR's JINC scaler with the anti-ringing filter enabled gives a more natural looking image compared to JVC's internal hardware scaler normally used for the e-shift process. I don't have a Lumagen, but I'm assuming you'll get similar PQ with Lumagen's equally impressive scaler. This is a great option for me because not only do I get a more natural looking image, but I also can take advantage of the MPC settings normally disabled with a 1080p input when you disable e-shift. Though, JINC, being such a high quality scaler, is VERY GPU demanding and will take a higher end graphics card to to render the 4K video information in real time without any stuttering or frame drops. I have a GTX690 and I can hear the fan ramp up quite a bit, which is something I only normally hear when I'm playing video games with it.

One thing you should note if you plan on inputting a 4K image to the JVC is that it increases the input lag to around 250ms. I don't quite understand this as it's taking a major burden off of the projector so I would have thought the input lag would be less. I play games on my Dell 30" monitor so it's no big deal to me but YMMV.

Overall, the X500 is an AMAZING value packed projector with so many PQ adjustment options. This is the best overall 2D image I've seen to date. I've yet to check out 3D, but I have seen it on the X55R and from reports it should be an identical experience. Considering I don't watch a whole lot of 3D, it's 3D performance will more than suffice for my needs and expectations.
post #8198 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Anyways, I've been playing around more tonight with the 4K input option these new models have. I have to say that overall MadVR's JINC scaler with the anti-ringing filter enabled gives a more natural looking image compared to JVC's internal hardware scaler normally used for the e-shift process. I don't have a Lumagen, but I'm assuming you'll get similar PQ with Lumagen's equally impressive scaler. This is a great option for me because not only do I get a more natural looking image, but I also can take advantage of the MPC settings normally disabled with a 1080p input when you disable e-shift. Though, JINC, being such a high quality scaler, is VERY GPU demanding and will take a higher end graphics card to to render the 4K video information in real time without any stuttering or frame drops. I have a GTX690 and I can hear the fan ramp up quite a bit, which is something I only normally hear when I'm playing video games with it.

One thing you should note if you plan on inputting a 4K image to the JVC is that it increases the input lag to around 250ms. I don't quite understand this as it's taking a major burden off of the projector so I would have thought the input lag would be less. I play games on my Dell 30" monitor so it's no big deal to me but YMMV.

Overall, the X500 is an AMAZING value packed projector with so many PQ adjustment options. This is the best overall 2D image I've seen to date. I've yet to check out 3D, but I have seen it on the X55R and from reports it should be an identical experience. Considering I don't watch a whole lot of 3D, it's 3D performance will more than suffice for my needs and expectations.

So, I'm guessing you like it better than the X90/RS65. Are the black levels an improvement for you too?
post #8199 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 05:54 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Unfortunate that lag time is getting worse on the JVCs and not better. 120ms for a 1080p input (my RS45 is 80ms which is not great either, but better than 120) and now 250ms for a 4k input? eek.gif Is their some sort of technical limitation preventing JVC from putting in some sort of game mode to get lag time down to an acceptable level?

post #8200 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Well, I would think once JVC makes a true 4K projector whether it comes out this year or next year, it will be really phenomenal for 2D at least I can only imagine with their contrast abilities what we'll see.

You are right. I hope they do
post #8201 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

That suck, hope you get it taken care of soon

How long did it take before this showed or happen. Meant for seegs sorry blee
post #8202 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Dylan/Zombie
How is source switching specifically going from resolution to another?
It's definitely longer on the RS49 than it was on the X55.
And for reasons unknown it really does not like the signal from the Kaleidescape.
Takes forever and many times I never get an image. Selecting a move blind or switching to another source then back usually resolves the issue.
What's odd is that its locking on a signal as I see a black screen

I tried going through an AVR, Lumagen and direct with the same results.
I do have a 40ft DVI cable with adapters to HDMI at both ends with a DVIGEAR HDMI amplifier/eq right before the input to the Lumagen which is at the projector.
The amplifier certainly helps.
I did run a temp 40ft HDMI cable and the results were the similar.
Quote:
Dylan what was the resolution to the vertical lines?
post #8203 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Seegs you by any chance get static shock from unboxing?
post #8204 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

Unfortunate that lag time is getting worse on the JVCs and not better. 120ms for a 1080p input (my RS45 is 80ms which is not great either, but better than 120) and now 250ms for a 4k input? eek.gif Is their some sort of technical limitation preventing JVC from putting in some sort of game mode to get lag time down to an acceptable level?

This is what I want to know, what would it take to put in a game mode that bypasses any processing in the JVCs? I understand a lot of people buy these for 2D, but why throw away the gamers that want to game and have excellent 2D? If Sony can have a game mode on the 50/55 of 30ms, then surely JVC could do the same...?
post #8205 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

This is what I want to know, what would it take to put in a game mode that bypasses any processing in the JVCs? I understand a lot of people buy these for 2D, but why throw away the gamers that want to game and have excellent 2D? If Sony can have a game mode on the 50/55 of 30ms, then surely JVC could do the same...?

They are capable of engineering an input lag of 23ms based off their Visualization Series, I dont know how much of that is special circuitry, but it'd be nice to at least get back to last generations input lag.
post #8206 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

No, it isnt, the 1000/1100 can do that too - not sure about the 500/600 ? Z10K - do you know ?

dj

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

The first projector that he has seen. I have 3 that does fade to black

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

he did technically state that it was unheard of outside the new JVC's

it would be a dream if one day they could pull off what OLED is capable of, pitch black screen with a single pixel of white light. imagine how good credit rolls will look.. smile.gif

Not to start any fires here, but the JVCs are the only ones (that I've seen or heard of) that have less obvious fades to black. Meaning that the native black level is already so low on the JVCs that the fade to black is much less noticeable (due to the less aggressive ILA) than it is on other projectors with higher native black levels and more aggressive irises.

It's just more realistic on the JVCs, IMO. But I would love to have both an LED pj and one of the Sony 1100s to compliment my X700. wink.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #8207 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post

How long did it take before this showed or happen. Meant for seegs sorry blee

I actually thought I had less hours on my projector. I've already logged 25 hours since Thursday. I"d make a guess that It first appeared around the 15 hour mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post

Dylan/Zombie
How is source switching specifically going from resolution to another?
It's definitely longer on the RS49 than it was on the X55.
And for reasons unknown it really does not like the signal from the Kaleidescape.
Takes forever and many times I never get an image. Selecting a move blind or switching to another source then back usually resolves the issue.
What's odd is that its locking on a signal as I see a black screen

I tried going through an AVR, Lumagen and direct with the same results.
I do have a 40ft DVI cable with adapters to HDMI at both ends with a DVIGEAR HDMI amplifier/eq right before the input to the Lumagen which is at the projector.
The amplifier certainly helps.
I did run a temp 40ft HDMI cable and the results were the similar.
Dylan what was the resolution to the vertical lines?

The X500 takes about 5 seconds more to lock onto a signal compared to the X90. The issue is gone for now, but they were spaced roughly 100 pixels apart and I believe the lines themselves were single pixel purple/magenta colored lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post

Seegs you by any chance get static shock from unboxing?

No, there wasn't any discharge. The issue started hours after unboxing the projector. Plus the exterior chassis is mostly plastic so there are very few points on the projector where this could happen.
post #8208 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks for your findings and that is unfortunate. Some things I can ignore, but some things really catch my eye and banding falls in the latter category for me. Hope JVC can fix this since it is a significant negative for me.

I'm not sure what others are seeing but I would say that the banding I'm seeing is mild (when I see it it's only in smaller portions of the screen). I would say in most cases where I've seen it that is is somewhat subtle. I would say the average person wouldn't notice it in most cases. Years back I had a Samsung 55B650 LCD that had vertical banding. I didn't use it for movies but I did use it for video games (mostly sports). I remember every time I played Tiger Woods Golf and the camera panned horizontally you could see the obvious bands every 1-2 inches in the sky and clouds. It drove me nuts sometimes but I decided to live with it. If I were seeing the banding this frequently it would really bother me but in most cases I probably only see it maybe once a movie in small sections of the screen so long as I'm actually watching the movie and not looking for it. Even with the banding issue I would still take this version of CMD over artifact ridden CMD in the RS45 though. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but hopefully this gives you a better idea of what is being seen. There may be more to it than I have discovered (which I'm not actively looking for) or maybe others have more of an issue than I do. I certainly hope JVC resolves this in a firmware upgrade as well.

Hope that helps! smile.gif
post #8209 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM

Liked: 12
I received my second 4910 going on 3 weeks now. I have put 137 hours on the unit. This second sample was significantly better then my first unit in all performance areas. There still remains 2 areas that while improved still could be better.
1. There is still too often the occasional hand shake issue but eliminating the HDMI switcher and running cables straight from the source to the projector has significantly improved this. I've only had to pull the plug one time and this was when I was still using the HDMI switcher.
2. Noisy when e-shift activated. When projector is in high fan speed I would say the noise level is equivalent to the Epson 5030. When I switch the projector to low fan with e-shift activated I hear the mechanical sound of the e-shift mechanism over the actual fan noise of the projector. If I leave fan in low setting and turn off e-shift the projector is very quiet. I have learned that the higher priced models use a different system on the e-shift and are thus quieter in e-shift mode.
That is it.
Performance tips:
1. The power cable on the 4910 is not of very high quality. I switched it out with a Discovery power cable and was surprised at the improvement. My projector is mounted on the back wall and the plug and power cable sits right next to projector. Try it out.
2. I have owned the Epson 5030; Sony VPL-HW50 had extensive access to the Panasonic AE-8000 and now the 4910. The JVC factory glasses seem to be more finicky and being clean then the others. I was cleaning the JVC glasses using Wal-Mart wet lens cleaner pads cannot remember name. They were leaving a very small amount of residue on the glasses. After better cleaning the 3d picture had less ghosting. Every little bit helps.
post #8210 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM

I actually thought I had less hours on my projector. I've already logged 25 hours since Thursday. I"d make a guess that It first appeared around the 15 hour mark.

I have seen this allot on the new jvc series. The panel driver on the pj get destroyed.
Hope that this do not happen with mine.

I got new 3d glasses today to the jvc,
For me this was very sad. Way to much ghosting. Any hints.. Some settings i missed. Because this is bad. Checked more than one x500 and the same. So no errors.
post #8211 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 397
What material are you using for 3D? I'll admit straight out I am not a big fan of 3D so I don't spend much time watching it but with the usual suspects I didn't see a crazy amount. Banding was definitely evident in Despicable Me, about the same as last year's (which was better than the year before) and Frozen but I rarely saw it with Gravity or Hugo. I didn't try Sammy's, which is a known torture test but I imagine it would do the same as last year's (not that great). To me it comes down to reference for comparison, and I don't have a lot of projectors to compare to for 3D. Still looks far better in respect to ghosting than I'm seeing theatrically with DLP and circular polarization. Are you comparing this directly to your Sony? I haven't had the chance to test 3D on any of the new Sony's.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #8212 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 04:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post

I have seen this allot on the new jvc series. The panel driver on the pj get destroyed.
Hope that this do not happen with mine.

I got new 3d glasses today to the jvc,
For me this was very sad. Way to much ghosting. Any hints.. Some settings i missed. Because this is bad. Checked more than one x500 and the same. So no errors.

The 3d on the JVC is not that hot. I never owned any of the earlier JVC models but JVC would be rated rock bottom if 3d is important to you in my opinion. Zombie thought the 4910 was about equal to the Epson 5030 but different. I disagree. The 5030 is significantly better in regards to motion, ghosting and naturalness. I will admit the JVC has better blacks and a more dynamic look but when viewing average quality 3d material or observing 3d net on DirecTV the Epson smokes the JVC. I currently believe that if you value 3d on the same level is 2d you will have to go with projectors for each format.
post #8213 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

What material are you using for 3D? I'll admit straight out I am not a big fan of 3D so I don't spend much time watching it but with the usual suspects I didn't see a crazy amount. Banding was definitely evident in Despicable Me, about the same as last year's (which was better than the year before) and Frozen but I rarely saw it with Gravity or Hugo. I didn't try Sammy's, which is a known torture test but I imagine it would do the same as last year's (not that great). To me it comes down to reference for comparison, and I don't have a lot of projectors to compare to for 3D. Still looks far better in respect to ghosting than I'm seeing theatrically with DLP and circular polarization. Are you comparing this directly to your Sony? I haven't had the chance to test 3D on any of the new Sony's.

Compared to the VW1000 the 3D on the X500 is not good with to much ghosting, this was with Frozen and Gravity and the Sony showed close to no ghosting at all and the JVC alot. The JVC is a very good 2D projector, but not a very good 3D projector. I personally am not a big fan of 3D and watch almost nothing on the VW1000 not because it is bad, but because I find 2D to give me a better experience. To me the X500 was close to unwatchable with Frozen and Gravity that the VW1000 showes almost flawlessly.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #8214 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could you tell me which movies and which scenes you saw banding on? I'll play around with CMD tonight and see if I can spot some. Also which CMD mode did you have it on when you saw it and what was the source resolution inputted into the projecor and was eshift enabled if the source was 1080p?
post #8215 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by home theater View Post

1. The power cable on the 4910 is not of very high quality. I switched it out with a Discovery power cable and was surprised at the improvement. My projector is mounted on the back wall and the plug and power cable sits right next to projector. Try it out.
Surprised at what improvement? Are you saying the picture quality improved when you switched power cords? confused.gif I have my doubts...
post #8216 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post

Compared to the VW1000 the 3D on the X500 is not good with to much ghosting, this was with Frozen and Gravity and the Sony showed close to no ghosting at all and the JVC alot. The JVC is a very good 2D projector, but not a very good 3D projector. I personally am not a big fan of 3D and watch almost nothing on the VW1000 not because it is bad, but because I find 2D to give me a better experience. To me the X500 was close to unwatchable with Frozen and Gravity that the VW1000 showes almost flawlessly.

Yikes, maybe there is something with your setup. I watched all of Gravity on the X700 and quite a bit of Frozen. I rarely if ever saw ghosting with Gravity, and I was looking for it. Frozen definitely had some here and there but I wouldn't call it anywhere near unwatchable. Sammy's adventures has some unwatchable 3D, but Frozen was only mildly annoying here and there. I used the THX 3D preset, don't remember what the glasses were set to for crosstalk.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #8217 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Could you tell me which movies and which scenes you saw banding on? I'll play around with CMD tonight and see if I can spot some. Also which CMD mode did you have it on when you saw it and what was the source resolution inputted into the projecor and was eshift enabled if the source was 1080p?

I did not see it myself as I don't own the 4910. Quite a few posters have commented in the 4910 owners thread about seeing banding with CMD in both low and high mode with any type of light grey or white type background scene. The two examples I can recall from those posts were from Gravity (screenshots included in that thread of the banding) and Game of Thrones, but again, any light colored backdrop will show it from what those owners are saying. If you do find banding, I would also be curious if it can be eliminated by turning eshift on or off.

post #8218 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 401
regarding the 4910 vs. 5030 3D, some observations:

• 5030 3D is not as bright as people think, at least in a color accurate mode. Once you calibrate the greyscale to near D65 behind the glasses and turn the glasses brightness down enough to keep x-talk to a minimum, you are basically at the same perceived brightness as the HW50/55 and the 4910 with the CT controls @ 6

• 5030 definitely handles SBS content better than the JVC. It's the best of the non-DLP's. Having said that, SBS looks too soft on my 142" with any of the projectors. Either full 3D BD or I generally wouldn't bother. I'd sooner watch it in 2D.

• The 4910 can benefit from a RF glasses setup like the recent Optoma RF Glasses + transmitter. (not the original MV3D's, they didn't work as well). With some fine tuning, they can out perform the JVC glasses at the cost of a bit of light.

• 4910 finally has CMD in 3D, this was a much needed update as the lower cost projectors already have this feature. I think it works well with the animations.

• 4910 3D contrast looks great, especially in low APL scenes.

• Both are generally good 3D projectors for a non-DLP. under a microscope, they both have flaws that aren't present on the DLP projectors (x-talk and perceived flicker for those that are sensitive to it)

for 3D reviews and general comments from folks, observations are going to be subjective. It's hard enough to get everyone on the same page for 2D let alone an optical trick that is poking at your brain. Not everyone reacts the same way as I have seen with visitors in my HT. Then throw different projectors in the mix, it's no wonder that it is a generally confusing topic to discuss.

We should establish one 3D standard that everyone should agree on. It needs to be bright. brighter than what it is in the theater. Pacific rim looked dull to me at my local Imax. It looks brilliant on my HP screen, amazing colors and brightness to match.

Lately i've been watching the 1100 in 3D. It's something in between the JVC and the Sharp 30K. You get better contrast than the DLP but not quite as good as the JVC. The x-talk is better than the JVC (flicker as well) but not dead perfect like the DLP. I enjoy the 3D on the VW1100 but it needs an HP with my current size screen. The 142" 16:9 2.8HP / VW1100 is a very nice 3D combo. I'm good for now unless one of those lumis 3D solos shows up at my front door. cool.gif

ps. good luck finding 2D->3D conversion reviews for the 3.5 people that are interested in it.. : )
post #8219 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Surprised at what improvement? Are you saying the picture quality improved when you switched power cords? confused.gif I have my doubts...

these are always interesting discussions when they come up. If there was some electrical issue in the house wiring, I could see running a dedicated line. otherwise the $3 socket and the wiring in the wall leading back to the breaker panel are also an 'issue'.

i'm opened minded though to know what was wrong with the 4910 power cable?
post #8220 of 9848 Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did not see it myself as I don't own the 4910. Quite a few posters have commented in the 4910 owners thread about seeing banding with CMD in both low and high mode with any type of light grey or white type background scene. The two examples I can recall from those posts were from Gravity (screenshots included in that thread of the banding) and Game of Thrones, but again, any light colored backdrop will show it from what those owners are saying. If you do find banding, I would also be curious if it can be eliminated by turning eshift on or off.

I would think this would show up the art of flight, there's plenty of white / greyish backgrounds (day's w/ cloud cover). I'll take a look and see if anything stands out.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page