Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 288 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8611 of 9511 Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Totally agree with you on the Xpands. We can only wear them for about 30 minutes before the pinch is unbearable. Not sure how or who designs glasses but the majority of people that tried them here hated them. I only compared them to the Sony's so I can't say if we noticed an alarming sharpness differences. They were better overall but not night and day on our screen. We just love the Monsters and Optomas and they will be tough to beat comfort wise and image wise. Too bad we couldn't use them with the 600 when we had it here. Would have been interesting.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8612 of 9511 Old 06-15-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Totally agree with you on the Xpands. We can only wear them for about 30 minutes before the pinch is unbearable. Not sure how or who designs glasses but the majority of people that tried them here hated them. I only compared them to the Sony's so I can't say if we noticed an alarming sharpness differences. They were better overall but not night and day on our screen. We just love the Monsters and Optomas and they will be tough to beat comfort wise and image wise. Too bad we couldn't use them with the 600 when we had it here. Would have been interesting.
Very easy to resolve the problem with the Xpands. All you have to do is take a hair dryer or heat gun and heat the plastic for a few seconds. You can then bend the arms to fit. Be very careful when you do it.
post #8613 of 9511 Old 06-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Zombie, Scrolling back quite a few pages in the thread I could not find your list of favorite 3d dlp projectors.
I know the Sharp is your favorite. What is next in line with brightness being a factor? I have a 1.3 gain screen.
Thanks!
post #8614 of 9511 Old 06-18-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
thanks to a fellow member I had a chance to check out the Xpand RF kit on the Sony VW1100.

easy plug and play with the custom Sony cable that converts RJ45 -> 3 Pin VESA. Several have posted how to make the cable but it's nice to just have it and plug it in. It works with the Optoma / MV3D transmitter as well. Using this port on the Sony projectors appears to disable the IR sender which is no big loss. The original Sony IR glasses dating back to the HW30 are not great.. I find them heavy and uncomfortable. Some were using cheap PS3 glasses as an alternative, but there are equally inexpensive RF glasses that are more comfortable.

so after looking at countless different 3D glasses over the few years, I saw something this time that surprised me when looking at the Xpand 105 RF vs. Sony's RF glasses. The Xpand's look better. Noticeably better when going back and forth. I am not referring to X-talk but overall PQ. The 3D looks sharpers with better contrast than the Sony RF glasses. I mean several clicks better as in you can definitely see a difference.

I disconnected the RF device and then tried the Sony IR glasses, same results, they looked very similar to the Sony RF glasses. I am not sure what exactly is going on here from a technical standpoint. The image actually looks sharper with the Xpand glasses. I studied this 2 night in a row to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks.

The only caveat with the Xpand RF glasses is that the arms are bent inwards so they pinch a little behind the ears. I am going to heat them up and see if I can tweak them a bit.

Overall I'm impressed with this kit and this would be a worthy investment for those looking for top-shelf PQ in 3D on the Sony's. There's a lot of choices for RF glasses so I'm glad to have this kit. It also works fine on my JVC projectors as well.

I won't bother trying it on the Sharp 30K DLP, it has a 1/8" stereo jack and would need to make a conversion cable to the 3 Pin VESA. Besides, the Sharp simply has the best 3D glasses that have ever been created, there is no way to exceed their excellence.
I've noticed differences in 3D glasses since I bought 3D Heaven glasses for my original Samsung 3D plasma back in 1010. The 3D Heaven's were compatible but contrast was worse than the Samsungs. I seldom wore the 3D Heaven glasses. When I got my JVC RS40, the JVC glasses were better than the Xpand 103s. The contrast was about the same, but with the Xpands I noticed that some areas of the lenses weren't as sharp as others. As I moved my head side to side, I could see that places in the image that were sharp and crisp through one part of the glasses softened up as I moved the glasses relative to the image. With the cheapie Samsung RF glasses ($20 at BB), parts of the lenses show more ghosting than other parts. The RF glasses that came with my Epson 5030 projector are better. With the Epson 6010, the IR glasses that came with the projector were better than the Sony PS3 glasses that I bought as extras.

There's wide variance in the quality of 3D glasses.

Joe Clark

post #8615 of 9511 Old 06-19-2014, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

If any of you are interested The Xpand 105's made for Mitsubishi are being sold at a closeout price on Amazon. They look the same as the standard 105's and expensive JVC's They even come with the same emitter pictured above that works with fine with the JVC. I ordered a few pairs and the included emitter seems to work even better than the RF JVC version. It also works with many other brands of RF glasses. The under $20 price is amazing. Get them while they last. I ordered and received several pairs. Seems someone bought all of the Mitsbushi glasses made by Xpand since Mitsubishi is now out of the projector business. This is the best deal I have found in a long time. Act fast since I doubt if they will last long at this price. If you are a Sony user these low prices might make you consider buying the expensive RS45-Vesa converter cable. The only suggestion I would make is that if you get these glasses use a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun to adjust since they are tight. I have also noticed less crosstalk using the included Xpand emitter vs the JVC and great picture quality. I watched Gravity on the RS4910 last night and the picture was amazing. Great color and brightness with little ghosting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered these from Amazon. For some reason the site is changing the link to Sears which wants $10 more. If this happens just search Amazon for Mitisubshi Xpand 3D glasses. $18.99
mishari84 and Elix like this.

Last edited by rwestley; 06-20-2014 at 05:46 PM.
post #8616 of 9511 Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Are you referring to the EX105BT model? Is this compatible with the JVC emitter like the Xpand X105-RF-X1?
post #8617 of 9511 Old 06-19-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Are you referring to the EX105BT model? Is this compatible with the JVC emitter like the Xpand X105-RF-X1?
The glasses work better with the included clandestine emitter less ghosting. They do work with the rfx1 to my surprise the included emitter also worked great with other glasses
post #8618 of 9511 Old 06-19-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
The glasses work better with the included clandestine emitter less ghosting. They do work with the rfx1 to my surprise the included emitter also worked great with other glasses
yes they work with included Expand emitter less ghosting than JVC rx1. I was surprised at differences. THEYV ARE REALLY WORTH TRYING
post #8619 of 9511 Old 06-19-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 167
For 3D lovers -- I am now using the 2D to 3D conversion of the Teranex with 2D BDs and it is superb! So many great 2D movies to watch in 3D and so little time.
post #8620 of 9511 Old 06-19-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
I've noticed differences in 3D glasses since I bought 3D Heaven glasses for my original Samsung 3D plasma back in 1010. The 3D Heaven's were compatible but contrast was worse than the Samsungs. I seldom wore the 3D Heaven glasses. When I got my JVC RS40, the JVC glasses were better than the Xpand 103s. The contrast was about the same, but with the Xpands I noticed that some areas of the lenses weren't as sharp as others. As I moved my head side to side, I could see that places in the image that were sharp and crisp through one part of the glasses softened up as I moved the glasses relative to the image. With the cheapie Samsung RF glasses ($20 at BB), parts of the lenses show more ghosting than other parts. The RF glasses that came with my Epson 5030 projector are better. With the Epson 6010, the IR glasses that came with the projector were better than the Sony PS3 glasses that I bought as extras.

There's wide variance in the quality of 3D glasses.
Hey Joe, you're way older than me if you were buying a 3D plasmas back in 1010.

There is also a big difference in price among glasses. If best Buy can sell the PS3 glasses for $9.95 each then why are the Epson glasses $99? Fortunately glasses are getting cheaper bit by bit and it can't happen soon enough. To some extent I believe this has stalled the acceptance of 3D in the home by the masses. Bring the prices down and they will consume.
post #8621 of 9511 Old 06-19-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
For 3D lovers -- I am now using the 2D to 3D conversion of the Teranex with 2D BDs and it is superb! So many great 2D movies to watch in 3D and so little time.
I've only seen one video converted by the Teranex, and it was an aerial shot, which a lot of converters do fairly well. How does the Teranex compare to other conversion technologies?

Joe Clark

post #8622 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Joe,

I have seen 4 other conversion type units from different manufacturers plus Sony's conversion. I think Dej Vu will vouch for me that nothing can touch the BlackMagic Teranex 3D converter except maybe units in the 80K+ range. Cineramax will vouch for it as well I think. I use it on a 12ft wide screen. The 2D to 3D conversion of this unit really has to be seen.
post #8623 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've only seen one video converted by the Teranex, and it was an aerial shot, which a lot of converters do fairly well. How does the Teranex compare to other conversion technologies?
I have seen at least 9 different 2D to 3D converters and the Teranex is the best of the bunch. The Mits is next in line and does an exemplary job considering its an add-on to what is now a very low cost but capable projector.

The Teranex produces very clean 3D with lots of depth and in many scenes you could be fooled into thinking that what you're watching is native 3D when in fact it's from a 2D source. It's a little hard for me to believe that one can convert 2D into convincing 3D on-the-fly but seeing is believing. I can understand why some are so skeptical about conversion technology but a lot of the technology that we now take for granted was science fiction only a few short years ago. I watched some scenes from a number of 2D movies converted into 3D and all of The Golden Compass. I haven't seen any obvious errors yet and considering that these movies were not shot with 3D in mind the 3D looks very impressive. There are quite a few 2D movie I want to watch again in 3D.

I'm pretty conservative so I purchased with a 30 day return policy. I'll be keeping this processor unless there are some unforeseen technical issues between now and when I'm close to the end of the 30 days.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-20-2014 at 11:16 AM.
post #8624 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What about HDCP?
post #8625 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What about HDCP?
You have a PM.
post #8626 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
If any of you are interested The Xpand 105's made for Mitsubishi are being sold at a closeout price on Amazon. They look the same as the standard 105's and expensive JVC's They even come with the same emitter pictured above that works with fine with the JVC. I ordered a few pairs and the included emitter seems to work even better than the RF JVC version. It also works with many other brands of RF glasses. The under $20 price is amazing. Get them while they last. I ordered and received several pairs. Seems someone bought all of the Mitsbushi glasses made by Xpand since Mitsubishi is now out of the projector business. This is the best deal I have found in a long time. Act fast since I doubt if they will last long at this price. If you are a Sony user these low prices might make you consider buying the expensive RS45-Vesa converter cable. The only suggestion I would make is that if you get these glasses use a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun to adjust since they are tight. I have also noticed less crosstalk using the included Xpand emitter vs the JVC and great picture quality. I watched Gravity on the RS4910 last night and the picture was amazing. Great color and brightness with little ghosting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Are you sure these really work properly? I contacted Xpand this morning, and they tell me the emitter won't work on a JVC projector and said they don't even make an emitter that does. They also said the glasses won't work properly.
post #8627 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Are you sure these really work properly? I contacted Xpand this morning, and they tell me the emitter won't work on a JVC projector and said they don't even make an emitter that does. They also said the glasses won't work properly.
I used the Mitsubishi Xpand 105's with the JVC emitter and they worked fine. I returned the glasses for a different reason related to fit, but the picture was otherwise great. I don't know about the Xpand emitter, but worst case, you could get the JVC emitter and the Mitsubishi Xpand 105 glasses.
post #8628 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes they don't know what they are talking about. I used the emitter and glasses last night to watch Gravity worked great The emitter also works with other active glasses. I tried several last night with the emitter. I just unplugged the JVC emitter and replaced it with Expand. Same Vessel connection
post #8629 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes they don't know what they are talking about. I used the emitter and glasses last night to watch Gravity worked great The emitter also works with other active glasses. I tried several last night with the emitter. I just unplugged the JVC emitter and replaced it with Expand. Same Vessel connection

Well alrighty then! I just ordered 4. You get an emitter with every pair?
post #8630 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 366
I have 4 pair that just arrived today, I'll check them out on the various projectors I have here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
post #8631 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 04:51 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
I have 4 pair that just arrived today, I'll check them out on the various projectors I have here.

It will interesting to know if the glasses are horizontally polarized so they work well with the jvc. Some report them working well the jvc.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
post #8632 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m View Post
It will interesting to know if the glasses are horizontally polarized so they work well with the jvc. Some report them working well the jvc.

Xpand tech told me they are vertical.
post #8633 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Xpand tech told me they are vertical.
That might be true. They will still work for most unless you screen is polarized. They work great for me.
post #8634 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Love to see how you like them. Hope you will get a chance to try the included emitter with other pairs of glasses that you own. I only tried them with the ones that came with the emitter and the Dimensional Optics Value glasses. Both worked with no problem. I also noticed less ghosting than with the JVC RF emitter I also only tried them on the JVC RS45.

Looking forward to seeing your test results.
post #8635 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

They also told me the EX105BT doesn't work on 144Hz, (whatever that means) and that the timings were not optimized for JVC.
post #8636 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

For some reason the site is changing my links to the Mitsubishi 3D glasses with emitter to Sears. Sears is asking $10 more. If this happens Just Search Mitsubishi Xpand 105 glasses and get the ones with the emitter for $18.99.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...pand%20glasses.
post #8637 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They also told me the EX105BT doesn't work on 144Hz, (whatever that means) and that the timings were not optimized for JVC.
They really don't know what they are talking about The Active glasses can't work with 144HZ since they are not DLP link glasses. I own both a JVS 4910 and a Benq 1070.
You need DLP link glasses for the Benq 1070 which must work at 144HZ. For the JVC with the RF transmitter many brands of Active glasses will work including the Mitsubish Xpands, Some Samsung and Epsons and Panasonics that were made for 2012 projectors or newer. If you are on the fence wait for Zombie's reviews.

Last edited by rwestley; 06-20-2014 at 06:33 PM.
post #8638 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
That might be true. They will still work for most unless you screen is polarized. They work great for me.
Unfortunately, my screen retains polarization making this glass not suitable for me.

post #8639 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you know if your screen is polarized?
post #8640 of 9511 Old 06-20-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
How do you know if your screen is polarized?
In my case, the only rf glasses that do not lose massive brightness when I view a 3d movie are the original jvc glasses. The Epson, Samsung and Sony rf glasses all sync with the jvc emitter but are really dim. I am waiting to test the xpands for jvc next.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page