post #8671 of 8765 Old 06-27-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post
Is there a way that I can use both emitters at the same time, so that I can use my existing X103s and these simultaneously or will the new emitter work with the x103s?
Zombie posted info on how to make a Y VESA connector to use two different emitters. You might want to ask him to post the info again. I am not sure if the X103's use IR or RF. If they are RF you could try them with the included Xpand 105 emitter. If they are IR you could make a Y Vesa cable and use the original JVC IR transmitter and the new Xpand emitter. There is a picture of the Y connector on page 289.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8672 of 8765 Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zombie, any update on reviewing a BenQ W7500?

Are they even trying to sell this in the US? Can't find it in their online store.
post #8673 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 82
A bit of an off topic rant.

I am following the Plasma is dead type threads as Plasma was my first step into the world of quality displays. In all of these threads Front Projection is almost never mentioned as a replacement quality wise. I find this rather confusing as I would put up my front projection against any TV, even the BenQ W7000 put up an amazing image, now I have a JVC X500 and to me it surpasses my cousins VT60 and mighty Kurro. Size is the obvious first advantage but the quality of the JVC is also superior, at least to me. Am I crazy or does front projection actually offer a better image then Plasma?

James Reid:D
post #8674 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I have a Panasonic 65" VT60 and JVC RS4810 - both calibrated by Chad B. I do think the RS4810 puts out a better image, overall, especially paired with my Stewart ST100. For movies, front projection just has a certain natural, cinematic, film-like look than cannot be captured by any flat panel.

Also, for me, watching scope movies on a scope screen is such a huge improvement in and of itself over a flat panel aside from the larger screen size.

However, I think room environment is a big limitation for most people for FP. Occasionally you'll see a post where someone buys a JVC projector, but has white walls, light carpet, and ambient light then wonders what's wrong with the contrast.
cardoski likes this.

Last edited by DavidHir; 07-03-2014 at 10:14 AM.
post #8675 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I have few nice Plasma's, they don't really do anything for me. probably because they are just too small compared to my 142" 16:9.

We watched the new Peter Gabriel concert last night using my 'low end' X35 and it looked amazing. There is no TV that can reproduce the sensation we had during this concert.. the visuals and sound were amazing. Big sound requires a big picture....
Kris Deering and cardoski like this.
post #8676 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

As I thought, I rather bring it up here then pea on the TV people. I guess the thing about front projection is it seems to take a bit more commitment, that could put some people off. But for those of us who calibrate our own equipment and create black holes the pay off is superb.

post #8677 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I guess the thing about front projection is it seems to take a bit more commitment, that could put some people off. But for those of us who calibrate our own equipment and create black holes the pay off is superb.
For me I don't see much similarity. In most cases what I view on a smaller screen (61" in my case) I wouldn't want to view on a larger screen (120" in my case) and vice versa. Not only for the sheer size of the images but the environment best suited for each. I view my dedicated room as going to the theater and I'm not going to the theater every time I want to watch something... At the same time when the dedicated room's environment enhances the experience I'm getting in the car...

Now if I had to pick only one past experience tells me goodbye projector.
post #8678 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Front projection is just in a different universe. I think if more people could experience such, you would see more gravitate to it and at least attempt to create the right room environment. There are some hardcore video enthusiasts in some of the plasma threads.

I also think some people without having ever seen a good FP set-up have preconceived notions of a washed out, soft, crappy large image as they have seen in school or at work on business projectors in office rooms.
cardoski likes this.

post #8679 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
For me I don't see much similarity. In most cases what I view on a smaller screen (61" in my case) I wouldn't want to view on a larger screen (120" in my case) and vice versa. Not only for the sheer size of the images but the environment best suited for each. I view my dedicated room as going to the theater and I'm not going to the theater every time I want to watch something... At the same time when the dedicated room's environment enhances the experience I'm getting in the car...

Now if I had to pick only one past experience tells me goodbye projector.
Why would you not want to view what you view on a 61in on a 120in? I don't even use a tv anymore. lol

post #8680 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Front projection is just in a different universe. I think if more people could experience such, you would see more gravitate to it and at least attempt to create the right room environment. There are some hardcore video enthusiasts in some of the plasma threads.

I also think some people without having ever seen a good FP set-up have preconceived notions of a washed out, soft, crappy large image as they have seen in school or at work on business projectors in office rooms.
Great post!!!! I would add sports bars and many other places also show "washed out, soft and crappy" images.
It takes some effort to set up a good home theater but once you caught the bug there is no cure for many of us. I like to watch movies on a projection screen and in a place that will provide a real movie experience. TV screens just don't do it for me.
post #8681 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

When I was first considering Projection I had the idea that it would be washed out, there was one place in town that had a decent setup for me to get an idea what projection was like. It was a Panasonic projector and it blew me away. As soon as I saw it my mind was made up. I went with the BenQ W7000 because of the reviews and then upgraded to the JVC X500 because of this site. Once I went projection my post count and interest in video quality calibrating and room design went through the roof. Great hobby.

Last edited by cardoski; 07-03-2014 at 11:20 AM.
post #8682 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Why would you not want to view what you view on a 61in on a 120in?
Several reasons...

• Requires too much attention. From my seating distance I can barely see the entire screen (at once). Of course this helps to engulf you in the experience but at the same time requires you to concentrate the entire time.
  • Noise. Even though my projector is mounted "out of the way" is still produces more ambient noise than my TV. It gets tiresome listening to it hour after hour especially for casual viewing.
  • Ambient light. Again hour after hour in "darkness" wears on me.
  • Overall environment. Often while viewing I'll want to Google about something I'm watching, interact with others and in general a smaller display (TV) offers a more relaxed environment on several levels.

I guess a really bad way of expressing it is driving a sports car. On certain rides nothing beats it, thrusting through the gears, the tight suspension sending you straight through the curves, the wind whirling around you. Sure I enjoyed Highway One but once I got into a city I was ready for my TV so I could relax a bit. Most of my current driving is best suited for a TV but at times a sports car can't be beat.
Schwa and cardoski like this.
post #8683 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 425
There is something intesting for JVC projector users today after the following CalMAN's release...

CalMAN 5.3.5 (Final Release) Build: 1597 Released @ 03 July 2014

Changes

CalMAN now supports the JVC x5 and x6 series CMS DDC controls in native ranges.

Dowload Link:
Download CalMAN 5 for Business / ColorChecker 5.3.5 (Build 1597)
Download CalMAN 5 for Home Video Calibration 5.3.5 (Build 1597)
cardoski likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 07-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.
post #8684 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

I currently use HCFR with my i1dispaly pro. I use it with a laptop I have no external VP box. Is it worth it to upgrade to CalMan and is there more automation and ease of use on a laptop compared to HCFR.

post #8685 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Lets face it, just about every household in the industrialized nations around the world have at least 1 TV, then add in all the businesses .. now think about how many of them hang out here.. If they aren't hanging out here, they probably don't really care about the stuff the way we do.. Or they are so rich they just pay someone to install the top of the line stuff and don't think about it till something new hits the market.
For the "normal" people, a flat screen hanging on the wall make them plenty happy and they can afford it..
FP is a itty bitty teeneeey weeeny niche market in the entire human population that watches/buys some type of video device..
You have heard the saying ..peein in the ocean to raise the level..

I mean the content provides keep pushing this insane crap about watching movies on Phones and Pad.. WTF! I couldn't wait to get a job as a kid to buy a 27" TV.. was so sick of that 19" .. Yeah sure, I want to watch something on a 4x6 screen.. pass whatever it is they are smokin! Personally, I refuse to watch more than 1/2 hour of a flat screen.... Happy to be in the niche!
cardoski likes this.
post #8686 of 8765 Old 07-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Ok, everyone. Here's my thread...finally. I have to get pictures uploaded to Photo Bucket so I can share them, but they will come.
Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #8687 of 8765 Old 07-04-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Music concert fans - some recommended material for showing off your hard work in the HT.

Peter Gabriel just released a bluray called Back to Front, filmed in 4K at the 02 arena in London. This is a serious aural and visual treat, i've already watched it 2 times and going in for round 3 this weekend. This is the original band from the So album back in the 1980's and they sound amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Front-Liv...dp/B00K0HDE7Y/

if you're a PG fan, add this to your cart. Live in Athens 1987. It looks amazingly good for the time period, it must have been shot on film. The sound is remarkable as well, I'm guessing multi-track analog recording that was re-mixed for DTS-HD. The version of 'in your eyes' is worth the entry price alone, unbelievable performance with Youssou N Dour.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Athens-Bl...dp/B00E6F155E/

Heavy metal fans may be surprised to find out that Ozzy can still remember all the lyrics to the Black Sabbath songs.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sabbath-...dp/B00FKIB808/

he sounds much better than I was expecting and the band is dead on with accuracy.

I love using music concerts to demo my HT setup. I usually have genre's that most people will be into and they can immediately relate to how cool it is to watch a concert on a large screen with big sound. Front row seats every time!
post #8688 of 8765 Old 07-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i just ordered Back to Front. Great price too. I have not gotten any new blu ray concerts in a long time and am anxious to watch it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #8689 of 8765 Old 07-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I have few nice Plasma's, they don't really do anything for me. probably because they are just too small compared to my 142" 16:9.

We watched the new Peter Gabriel concert last night using my 'low end' X35 and it looked amazing. There is no TV that can reproduce the sensation we had during this concert.. the visuals and sound were amazing. Big sound requires a big picture....
Which PG show is this? It's not more orchestra I hope! Would love to check it out if it's with his normal band.

EDIT: Never mind. Made this post before I saw your post above. Will check it out!

Another heads up, but Bob Marley's Legend 30th Anniversary edition was released this week and has a blu ray disc with the album mixed in 5.1 TrueHD and DTS-MA. Early reports are VERY positive on the mix. Just ordered this along with the PG Back to Front.

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Anniver...pr_product_top

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; 07-04-2014 at 09:42 AM.
post #8690 of 8765 Old 07-04-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
....I guess the thing about front projection is it seems to take a bit more commitment, that could put some people off. ...
I think that's exactly it. Let's face it--it is quite a bit more hassle to set up a projector, screen, speakers, etc., than simply plugging in a tv and turning it on. We, of course, love the hassle, as well as the result, but most folks don't.
cardoski likes this.
post #8691 of 8765 Old 07-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
I think that's exactly it. Let's face it--it is quite a bit more hassle to set up a projector, screen, speakers, etc., than simply plugging in a tv and turning it on. We, of course, love the hassle, as well as the result, but most folks don't.

I am watching the World Cup right now and the "hassle" is really paying off. Some of my buddies who come over to watch NFL games want my setup but their better half won't let them. Divorce ain't so bad I tell them. lol

post #8692 of 8765 Old 07-04-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Which PG show is this? It's not more orchestra I hope! Would love to check it out if it's with his normal band.

EDIT: Never mind. Made this post before I saw your post above. Will check it out!

Another heads up, but Bob Marley's Legend 30th Anniversary edition was released this week and has a blu ray disc with the album mixed in 5.1 TrueHD and DTS-MA. Early reports are VERY positive on the mix. Just ordered this along with the PG Back to Front.

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Anniver...pr_product_top
I have this already, the sound quality is amazing. I am on a music collecting kick right now, just grabbed Crossroads Festival 2013, rumor has it that Clapton is done touring. I have all the previous versions, they sound and look great.

Also The Cure Trilogy - Live in London is one to show off the JVC's. very dark and gritty, looks muddy on some of my other projectors.

Edit: the PG concert has all the original band members, they are very accurate during this concert and he must have been training his voice, it sounds much better than the orchestra concert from 2011.

Last edited by zombie10k; 07-04-2014 at 10:13 AM.
post #8693 of 8765 Old 07-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have this already, the sound quality is amazing. I am on a music collecting kick right now, just grabbed Crossroads Festival 2013, rumor has it that Clapton is done touring. I have all the previous versions, they sound and look great.

Also The Cure Trilogy - Live in London is one to show off the JVC's. very dark and gritty, looks muddy on some of my other projectors.

Edit: the PG concert has all the original band members, they are very accurate during this concert and he must have been training his voice, it sounds much better than the orchestra concert from 2011.

Great to hear! I will have Back to Front and Legend here on Tues and cant wait!

I have one of the Crossroads discs and it is great all around as you mention.

Cure Trilogy I watched a while back and really enjoyed it as well.

I'm on a music kick right now as well. Streaming the Phish shows live from New York last night and tonight into the HT is a LOT of fun.

post #8694 of 8765 Old 07-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Great to hear! I will have Back to Front and Legend here on Tues and cant wait!

I have one of the Crossroads discs and it is great all around as you mention.

Cure Trilogy I watched a while back and really enjoyed it as well.

I'm on a music kick right now as well. Streaming the Phish shows live from New York last night and tonight into the HT is a LOT of fun.

Will defiantly check out The Cure trilogy, any Dead shows you can recommend Toe. Been on a music kick myself, finally got my self a big boy stereo and placed my surrounds above my head, the result is music and movie bliss.

post #8695 of 8765 Old 07-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Will defiantly check out The Cure trilogy, any Dead shows you can recommend Toe. Been on a music kick myself, finally got my self a big boy stereo and placed my surrounds above my head, the result is music and movie bliss.
Well I just recently got the infamous Veneta Oregon 72 show on blu ray which I have not seen in my HT yet, but did go see it at the theater when they released it last Aug on Jerry's B-day. One of the best Dead shows ever and the Dark Star>El Paso>Sing Me Back Home is worth the set alone.

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/suns...-ray-exclusive

Also tracked down the out of production American Beauty and Workingman's Dead on DVD-A in 5.1. Have only listened to AB so far, but WOW, it's like hearing it for the first time when you combine the excellent 5.1 mix, high resolution and some of the tracks are alternate takes from the studio sessions. GREAT stuff if you like the Dead!
cardoski likes this.

Last edited by Toe; 07-05-2014 at 07:14 AM.
post #8696 of 8765 Old 07-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well I just recently got the infamous Veneata Oregon 72 show on blu ray which I have not seen in my HT yet, but did go see it at the theater when they released it last Aug on Jerry's B-day. One of the best Dead shows ever and the Dark Star>El Paso>Sing Me Back Home is worth the set alone.

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/suns...-ray-exclusive

Also tracked down the out of production American Beauty and Workingman's Dead on DVD-A in 5.1. Have only listened to AB so far, but WOW, it's like hearing it for the first time when you combine the excellent 5.1 mix, high resolution and some of the tracks are alternate takes from the studio sessions. GREAT stuff if you like the Dead!
Thanks and I do.
Toe likes this.

post #8697 of 8765 Old 07-04-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reviews. Marley disk and Peter Gabriel's new Blu-Ray Back to Front. I was lucky to see Bob Marley live at the Beacon Theater in NY a short time before he died. Amazing show. Wish they would release Bruce Springsteen in Barcelona on Blu-Ray since it was shot in HD.
post #8698 of 8765 Old 07-05-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Zombie -- thanks for the recommendations. I've been watching all my hi-def music videos over again in 3D such as: The Killers at the Albert Hall; Foreigner in Chicago; Cream Reunion; Moody Blues (lovely to see you); Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood; and ACDC (No Bull). They look amazing in 3D. It's time for some more concerts in 3D.

For those interested here's a short review of the Teranex 3D processor I'm using for the real time conversion:

http://www.homecinemaguru.com/blackm...deo-processor/

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-05-2014 at 06:50 AM.
post #8699 of 8765 Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
[QUOTE=rwestley;25129705 The emitter also works with other active glasses. I tried several last night with the emitter. I just unplugged the JVC emitter and replaced it with Expand. Same Vessel connection[/QUOTE]

Do the Epson RF glasses work with this emitter?
post #8700 of 8765 Old 07-09-2014, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DV - The epson glasses do work with this RF transmitter, and the Sony RF glasses as well.

Deja Vu likes this.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page