post #8761 of 8764 Old Today, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I am hoping that my current build is my last set of LCR's for a while. Going for resolution, dynamics and clarity. Each main will have TD18H+, TD12M, TPL-150H and TD12M. Speakers will be baffle wall mounted, behind my AT screen. The TPL-150H is a horn loaded ribbon tweeter.
Yeah, horn loaded. To this day I haven't heard any audiophile system approach re-creating the realism of an orchestra, particularly the horn section, that I've heard form some traditional horn-loaded commercial theater systems.
(Obviously sheer size and grunt power is on the side of the commercial system, but even smaller good horn-speakers seem to produce a density and energy to the sound that goes some way to mimicking the real thing).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 8764 Old Today, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Yes, I know the price puts this projector in another forum but I thought some of you might enjoy reading about the "world's worst projector". Maybe Zombie should put it in his shootout just for laughs -- apparently you can buy it from Amazon for $179 so really, what do your expect?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/fuge..._review.htm?em

Here's a taste:

"In the end, Fugetek FG-637 gives you an amazingly dim picture with bad uniformity and worst-in-class screen door effect. Considering this is a cheap projector, flaws like these are understandable. But then add to that the geometric distortion and overscan that can't be fixed, and the terrible edge enhancement that won't stay disabled, and you've got the worst projector we've ever seen."

Is it possible to receive a worse review?

Last edited by Deja Vu; Today at 09:11 AM.
post #8763 of 8764 Old Today, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Zombie,

Your use of several projectors reminds me of my speaker-mania.

Audio-wise, I'm a "speaker-whore" in that I've always loved checking out and listening to different speakers. Never could find one that fully satisfied, with one model doing something I like better than another. It wasn't long ago I had 7 different pairs of high end speakers in my house, until my wife (rightly) put her foot down. (And I had to sell some eventually for video upgrade money anyway).

I'm down to my home theater speakers, one set of classic hi-end monitors I have to get rid of (but having trouble parting with them), and one pair of really high end MBL monitors that I'll probably never part with. I've lived with mostly listening to the two sets of speakers, and yet....I'm hearing the siren call of a other speakers (want to try some Quad ESL 57 electrostatics in my room). I don't know how long I can hold out. An animal that can't change it's stripes....
You might want to audition the GoldenEar Triton One speakers later this summer (due out in August after several delays - the last one related to the flooding in Asia). I'll be auditioning them as soon as my dealer has them in stock. The preliminary reviews are glowing, as they usually are for GEs. A friend who owns Martin Logan towers likes my Triton Sevens, because of the refined electrostatic-like upper range, but richer and seamlessly blended midrange/bass. As a bonus, they're only $5,000/pair. Personally, I like the Sevens so much that I'm not sure it would be worth it to me to upgrade to the One's, but I've said that before.

Joe Clark

post #8764 of 8764 Old Today, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Yes, I know the price puts this projector in another forum but I thought some of you might enjoy reading about the "world's worst projector". Maybe Zombie should put it in his shootout just for laughs -- apparently you can buy it from Amazon for $179 so really, what do your expect?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/fuge..._review.htm?em

Here's a taste:

"In the end, Fugetek FG-637 gives you an amazingly dim picture with bad uniformity and worst-in-class screen door effect. Considering this is a cheap projector, flaws like these are understandable. But then add to that the geometric distortion and overscan that can't be fixed, and the terrible edge enhancement that won't stay disabled, and you've got the worst projector we've ever seen."

Is it possible to receive a worse review?

it looks like another white van scam projector. One of the best bang for the buck projectors was the Acer 5360 @ $499 back in 2010. The 3D (using the Nvidia IR) exceeded some models that were much more expensive at the time (RS40/Sony VW90)

Geoffrey Morrison wrote a great article on $500 projectors just recently

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-500-projector/

at the top of the list is the Acer 5380BD, the new 720P model w/ native 3D BD support. 33ms lag time so it's fine for a cheap console gaming projector.

so it is possible to have a 1/2 decent projector on a shoe-string budget. it's a shame the market is filled with such garbage as the one listed in the PJC review.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page