Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8911 of 8925 Old 08-20-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
The calculation is simple: (1000 lumens)x(2.4 gain)/(81 sq ft) = 30 ftL.
I am not disagreeing, but just saying.

DavidHir is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8912 of 8925 Old 08-20-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,612
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I am not disagreeing, but just saying.
If I recall correctly both Zombie and Seegs have HP 2.8 gain screen as do I. Nothing like a projection sized plasma on low lamp! Shame they are not making the fabric anymore..All us HP fans are waiting for the fall to see if Dalite brings back the 2.4 but I am guessing they won't as it is a small market share due to is't mounting and seating requirements, not to mention the high light output of current day projectors.
airscapes is online now  
post #8913 of 8925 Old 08-20-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
If I recall correctly both Zombie and Seegs have HP 2.8 gain screen as do I. Nothing like a projection sized plasma on low lamp! Shame they are not making the fabric anymore..All us HP fans are waiting for the fall to see if Dalite brings back the 2.4 but I am guessing they won't as it is a small market share due to is't mounting and seating requirements, not to mention the high light output of current day projectors.
High light output in 2D doesn't mean much for 3D! Anyone interested in 3D should have an HP screen, even if only for 3D use. Even reviewers who claim they don't like 3D change their opinion when they see it from a top end projector throwing a bright ghost-free 3D image. There is still a place for high power screens, perhaps more so than ever. All those bright projectors won't be so bright after five or six hundred hours on the lamp. Once lasers replace lamps this dimming problem may be history.
Deja Vu is online now  
post #8914 of 8925 Old 08-20-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
The calculation is simple: (1000 lumens)x(2.4 gain)/(81 sq ft) = 30 ftL.
The gain is only 1.8 on that material. This has been measured by several well respected publications/pro calibrators. Also, that is also only 1.8 gain when you're on axis plus or minus 30 degrees and even more restricting is that the gain is only this high if the projector is placed very close to head/eye height, then the gain tapers off pretty dramatically past that 30 degrees. Most people with a Sony aren't using a high power screen and that was why I said the Lumis is still better for 12+ foot wide screens. There are a lot of restrictions with the HP screen material. I love mine but it's not the easiest screen material to utilize fully.

So, on axis (if your projector is shelf mount ideally), you're looking at 1000 x 1.8/81= 22ftL and it will go down as the lamp ages. Whereas the Lumis can do 2200 lumens. On a material like Marks (StuidoTek 100) you get a brighter image without the drawbacks and placement/seating restrictions, so 2200 x 1.0 /81 = 27.1. Obviously with a HP screen you're looking at a lot more brightness if desired.

This has nothing to do with PQ, but only to do with how large of a screen the Lumis can do over the Sony.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #8915 of 8925 Old 08-20-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The gain is only 1.8 on that material. This has been measured by several well respected publications/pro calibrators. Also, that is also only 1.8 gain when you're on axis plus or minus 30 degrees and even more restricting is that the gain is only this high if the projector is placed very close to head/eye height, then the gain tapers off pretty dramatically past that 30 degrees. Most people with a Sony aren't using a high power screen and that was why I said the Lumis is still better for 12+ foot wide screens. There are a lot of restrictions with the HP screen material. I love mine but it's not the easiest screen material to utilize fully.

So, on axis (if your projector is shelf mount ideally), you're looking at 1000 x 1.8/81= 22ftL and it will go down as the lamp ages. Whereas the Lumis can do 2200 lumens. On a material like Marks (StuidoTek 100) you get a brighter image without the drawbacks and placement/seating restrictions, so 2200 x 1.0 /81 = 27.1. Obviously with a HP screen you're looking at a lot more brightness if desired.

This has nothing to do with PQ, but only to do with how large of a screen the Lumis can do over the Sony.
Some good points. In my case the pj is on a stand, projecting just over my head. I had a HP2.8 for several yrs, and now the HP2.4 for a couple; I liked the 2.8, but think the 2.4 gives a slightly smoother pic.

I agree that screen gains are often exaggerated. Also, the Sony's output is ~1200-1300 calibrated lumens with a new lamp, but then falls off as usual. (I use low lamp for the first few hundred hrs.) The point is that the HP allows one to easily get >20 ftL with the Sony1100 for a screen as large as 12 ft. wide. More useable lumens are always appreciated, as will the the lack of dimming with newer light sources.
millerwill is online now  
post #8916 of 8925 Old 08-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I'm watching pretty much everything in 3D now -- either native, studio converted or 2D converted to 3D by the Teranex. I completely agree with Seeg's assessment of there not being extreme differences between projectors in a similar price range, with one caveat -- 3D! If it's not DLP then the chances of the projector being able to produce stellar 3D goes out the window. Even between the DLPs I own there are many differences; however, they are not extreme. They can all produce extremely "clean" 3D meaning clean foregrounds and backgrounds (no ghosting); however, there are subtle differences in motion handling, colour, and contrast. Brightness counts big time in 3D but again there are no extreme differences here with the DLPs I own. I use a 2.8 gain HP screen, which helps but I'd still like a brighter image. My Epsons (non-DLP) are the brightest but for most material ghosting shows its ugly head so I don't use them very often.

Sony or any other manufacturer (Epson and JVC) would have to provide DLP-like 3D for me to have any interest and I don't think that's going to be in the cards for quite some time. I've been thinking of purchasing a Sim2 but with 4K and laser hybrid projectors fast approaching I'll probably stick with what I have until the dust settles a little.

I've read the Sony 4K reviews and the Sim2 reviews and my impression is that the reviewers actually prefer the Sim2 projectors (M.150 and Super Lumis, etc.) over the Sony. Are they all wrong? Maybe. Anyway, for what I want the Sim2 is clearly the best but unless they're giving them away I'm sitting on the sidelines for a year or two as we transition to 4K laser hybrid projectors.
That is why I test, because you newer know what side a reviewer is on. The M150 was for me a big disappointment. Why, test it together side by side. The sim lumis 3DS crushed it in every way. And the image looked flat and boring. And what I look for in the perfect picture is a combination of contrast,black level, ansicontrast,clarity, debt, sharpness and dynamics. All this was to me better than the lumis 3Ds. And believe me I was shocked. Then the vw1000...
But in 3D it was fantastic no crosstalk and great punch.
If I watched much 3D I have to have the lumis 3ds PJ.
The ultimate setup in a cinema. Sony vw1100 for 2D, jvc x500/x700 for dark horror movies and the sim lumis 3ds or the super lumis for 3D.
Dj Dee is offline  
post #8917 of 8925 Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post
That is why I test, because you newer know what side a reviewer is on. The M150 was for me a big disappointment. Why, test it together side by side. The sim lumis 3DS crushed it in every way. And the image looked flat and boring. And what I look for in the perfect picture is a combination of contrast,black level, ansicontrast,clarity, debt, sharpness and dynamics. All this was to me better than the lumis 3Ds. And believe me I was shocked. Then the vw1000...
But in 3D it was fantastic no crosstalk and great punch.
If I watched much 3D I have to have the lumis 3ds PJ.
The ultimate setup in a cinema. Sony vw1100 for 2D, jvc x500/x700 for dark horror movies and the sim lumis 3ds or the super lumis for 3D.
Probably would not be able to afford that combo, after the divorce, because buying all three would be a problem.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #8918 of 8925 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Not many normal people can (I can not) , but it would be a killer combo!

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Andreas21 is online now  
post #8919 of 8925 Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Zombie has a similar combination. Sharp XV-Z30000 for 3D, Sony 1100ES and JVC DLA-RS55 for 2D. Killer combo.
Andreas21 and Dj Dee like this.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #8920 of 8925 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Zombie has a similar combination. Sharp XV-Z30000 for 3D, Sony 1100ES and JVC DLA-RS55 for 2D. Killer combo.
That I can afford it is only the Super Lumis I think is overpriced and if I really wanted it I could find the means, but I don´t want it enough as 3D is not important to me. And I think the Super Lumis shows a better 3D picture than the Sharp X30000 (even if I haven´t seen any of them), but it has a much higher pricetag. What I am waiting and have been waiting for a while for is one projector with all these qualities, but I think I will have to wait a bit longer if it ever comes...

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Andreas21 is online now  
post #8921 of 8925 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
That I can afford it is only the Super Lumis I think is overpriced and if I really wanted it I could find the means, but I don´t want it enough as 3D is not important to me. And I think the Super Lumis shows a better 3D picture than the Sharp X30000 (even if I haven´t seen any of them), but it has a much higher pricetag. What I am waiting and have been waiting for a while for is one projector with all these qualities, but I think I will have to wait a bit longer if it ever comes...
I would agree that a new SuperLumis and Lumis are overpriced for the PQ you get compared to projectors like the Sony 1000ES but it doesn't seem overpriced when you take into account other 3 chip DLP projectors. Texas Instruments probably charges through the roof for graded 3 chip DC4 DMDs. Then we need to look at Osrams Unishape driver and bulb, high end processing chips, high end lenses and high end light engines from Delta. Seeing how Sim2 only controls the software and intellectual properties and has to buy all the other portions of the projector from another companies we can start to see why 3 chip DLP costs so much. Sim2 doesn't manufacturer or control the pricing on almost any physical parts of the projector other than perhaps the chassis. They are at the will of several other companies and what they charge for their top end products which make up the Lumis line of projectors.

When you look at companies like Sony and JVC who have the capability to manufacture just about every part that goes into their projectors, you can understand how they can produce their products so cheaply.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 02:37 PM.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #8922 of 8925 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I understand that, but if you compare it to a car (car manufacurers also buy a lot from other manufacturers) it is quite silly and Sim2 does not have great developing costs when they dont produce the parts them selves. Even here in Norway where cars are very very expencive you can get a ok car for the price of a Super Lumis not to mention what you can get in the USA. If you put that in perspective it is a silly price, I even think the VW1100 has a silly pricetag, but think of the developing cost for Sony and how few they have sold world wide. They are not making money on the VW1000/1100, but I think Sim2 makes a lot of money on their Super Lumis...

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Andreas21 is online now  
post #8923 of 8925 Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
I understand that, but if you compare it to a car (car manufacurers also buy a lot from other manufacturers) it is quite silly and Sim2 does not have great developing costs when they dont produce the parts them selves. Even here in Norway where cars are very very expencive you can get a ok car for the price of a Super Lumis not to mention what you can get in the USA. If you put that in perspective it is a silly price, I even think the VW1100 has a silly pricetag, but think of the developing cost for Sony and how few they have sold world wide. They are not making money on the VW1000/1100, but I think Sim2 makes a lot of money on their Super Lumis...
Like you said, the same thing can be said about the Sony. In the US you can buy an JVC X500 for less than a quarter of the price of the 1100ES and we don't see a drastic difference in PQ between these two units. Many actually prefer the image of the JVC because of the contrast difference. This is a similar difference between the Lumis and 1100ES. Though the price delta between these is much closer at less than twice the cost as opposed to more than 4 times the cost in the JVC/1100ES comparison. It's all relative.

The Lumis is also targeted for a different class of screen sizes as it can be used on much larger screens than the Sony. I don't think I know of a cheaper projector out there that has good contrast performance that also uses 3 .95" DC4 DMDs. I think it's the cheapest out there. The ones from digital projection, Runco, projection design, barco, ect are all more expensive. So in this sense, the Lumis is still a relative bargain. Relative being the operative word.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 03:41 PM.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #8924 of 8925 Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
What is the max calibrated lumen output on the sim2?
zombie10k is online now  
post #8925 of 8925 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
What is the max calibrated lumen output on the sim2?
I don't have my Minolta back yet so I can't tell you what my unit is measuring, but if you read the Lumis thread, most got between 2200-2400 calibrated lumens (the numbers differentiate depending on lens choice as does contrast). Most of the reported numbers in the thread are from Jeff Meier (pro-calibrator) after he got done with another Lumis calibration.
Seegs108 is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off