Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Excellent review Zombie. Thank you for taking the time to do these reviews, they greatly help those of us who don't get a chance see all these projectors together make a decision.
post #63 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post

Looking forward to this. Raine said the same thing about out of the box presets being very good.
If you have a dual output receiver you could even run both projectors side by side on your massive screen at the same time and shoot that - would be cool! Or even a youtube video - just for fun...Not that I'm asking you to do that or anything I'm sure you have enough on your plate but would be cool to do sometime cool.gif

That would be pretty cool way to evaluate them. You would have the same image side by side at the same size. The images would be much smaller only using half the screen each.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #64 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 395
My only concern with that method is the smaller images might throw off the perception of the RC vs. E-shift changes.

I'm looking for one of those multi-shelf plastic storage units this week so I can do a Top / Bottom config with the image on both projectors filling the entire screen. This way I can keep the camera in the same location for the closeups of RC vs. E-shift and just hide each lens during the individual screenshots.
post #65 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
you could do SBS with one of the PJs running in rear projection... each filling half the screen, then you could post close-ups of the same portion of the scene (mirror imaged). you know, since you don't have enough to do wink.gif

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #66 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Zombie10k,

Could you elaborate a little more on the black floor of the HW50 in comparison to an Rs45? The assumption is the Rs55 is slightly better than the RS45 but from memory is the difference in overall black levels going to be immediately noticeable? For my particular needs I have a 2.4 gain HP which should be slightly more forgive able than your 2.8 HP.

Also,

With RC on is the better optics of the RS45 going to be missed? Upgrading from an RS45 to a RS46 is my 2nd choice but even if it does exhibit less ghosting the lack of FI in 3D is going to sorely missed.

Lastly, is the lack of the DI working in 3D missed? I'm sure the contrast won't be as good as the JVC but the glasses are already tinted giving black levels a boost on all projectors in 3D to a certain extent.
post #67 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Zombie10k,
Could you elaborate a little more on the black floor of the HW50 in comparison to an Rs45? The assumption is the Rs55 is slightly better than the RS45 but from memory is the difference in overall black levels going to be immediately noticeable? For my particular needs I have a 2.4 gain HP which should be slightly more forgive able than your 2.8 HP.

I think this is what a lot of us would like to know. We are all in search of better black levels, but are we approaching hair splitting differences at this point? My RS20 had, IMO, fantastic black levels. Does an RS55 have better black levels? It appears so. But could anyone definitively say this without a direct A/B comparison? In real world viewing, what percentage trickles down to perceivable differences. If I have pj 1 that claims a 50,000 CR and pj 2 that claims a 100,000 CR, we all know that we won't realize twice the contrast, but what kind of a percentage should we realize...... 20%.... 50%?

As other reviewers have stated; if black levels are within striking distance of each other, more important things come to the forefront. Motion and sharpness, IMO, are easier to spot small differences and become a larger factor at this point.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #68 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Zombie10k,

Also,
With RC on is the better optics of the RS45 going to be missed? Upgrading from an RS45 to a RS46 is my 2nd choice but even if it does exhibit less ghosting the lack of FI in 3D is going to sorely missed.

Lastly, is the lack of the DI working in 3D missed? I'm sure the contrast won't be as good as the JVC but the glasses are already tinted giving black levels a boost on all projectors in 3D to a certain extent.

I have a few movies and concerts I like to use the give the black floor capabilities a workout.

• 1st ten minutes of Underworld Evolution - I love the beginning of this movie. very intense visuals when the black levels are performing at their peak.

• Shakira: Live in Paris - there are some great dark scenes throughout this concert.

• Chernobyl Diaries - Tons of 'fade to black'. This movie was shot recently with decent cameras. The dark scenes have some good detail hiding in the shadows. There is a scene where a girl is running around in pitch black with an LED light and it looks ridiculously good on the RS55 @ -13. I haven't seen this yet on the Sony but will this week.

• Terminator (UK release) - this new release is a nice surprise, it looks much better than MPEG-2 version. There's a number of scenes worth of taxing the native contrast of these projectors.

I did watch the beginning of underworld on the HW50 last night and it looked very good. I would give it a passing grade, better than the HW30 and similar to the 5010. This is going to be good enough for many folks, especially on lower gain screens.

It's not an exact substitute though for what the JVC is best known for. With my HP screen, I want the lowest black floor possible. I watch a lot of concerts and dark sci-fi so at least one of these JVC's stays in the HT this upcoming year.

it's hard to say on the RC vs. native optics of the JVC. I'm a little divided on this one. I partially think the native optics should be better as a base, but the RC does do a very good job of recreating the appearance of a sharp image when applied in moderation. I think it's going to come down to preference of each processing method.

There's going to be folks like like the RC and the E-shift, so no real way of telling what someone is going to like unless they can get a chance to see them in person. I'll do my best with some of the screens to get a basic idea of what's happening at the pixel level. Having seen the RC first hand, I'm anxious now to take a look at e-shift 2.

I don't see the lack of a DI as an issue in 3D, it still looks great. The RC sharpening in 3D makes a big difference overall. It's cranked @ 50 on the resolution, I turned it down to about 30 and think it looks very good at that setting.

I'm off to check out some 3D on the HW50 and try to grab some screenshots and 3D lumen measurements.
post #69 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 09:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

When you read comments like that it's difficult to take any comments on black levels seriously and it also implies that their expectations for black levels are low as well. No wonder the Panasonic looks so great to them. rolleyes.gifwink.gif

Firstly, great work Zombie - your efforts are most appreciated! I'm inclined to like the results of RC only working, although can see the extra level of fine tuning with both RC and Darbee being applied.

Per the above comment though - i am not one of 'them' biggrin.gif but what is the issues implied with the Panasonic?. I had been looking at the new 8K until fell for the HW50 - it has been getting good reviews , have I missed something or does it just not hold its own in 'black levels' compared to the Sony/JVC's ??
post #70 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projector Lad View Post

Firstly, great work Zombie - your efforts are most appreciated! I'm inclined to like the results of RC only working, although can see the extra level of fine tuning with both RC and Darbee being applied.
Per the above comment though - i am not one of 'them' biggrin.gif but what is the issues implied with the Panasonic?. I had been looking at the new 8K until fell for the HW50 - it has been getting good reviews , have I missed something or does it just not hold its own in 'black levels' compared to the Sony/JVC's ??

I think for pure, unadulterated blacks, nothing can match JVC lb for lb.

As Zombie mentioned earlier however; is this only going to manifest itself in a very small assortment of titles? Do they make up ground in other areas such as shadow detail?

Achievement Unlocked

post #71 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I watched my favorite benchmark, 1st ten minutes of Underworld Evolution. Overall a progressive upgrade to the HW30, better and now more similar to the 5010, but still not quite the same as my RS55.
3D - I ended up preferring the 5010's 3D last year to the HW30, mainly due to the sharpness. I found the HW30 a bit dull in 3D that even the Darbee couldn't really make up for. I like the RC in 3D more than in 2D mode, it's looks good and is equally as sharp as the 5010 is now in 3D mode.
We should get the 5020 sometime soon and will try to give more feedback once I see both on the same screen with the same content.
The W7000 is still a force to be dealt with, the naturally razor sharp image + completely ghost free / flicker free 3D PQ quality needs some comparison to the HW50 when I get time. Overall though, the HW50 3D is very good. smile.gif

Thanks for the comments. It seems you're not seeing that extra "pop out" that Kraine comments about in his review. I'm looking forward to your thoughts about the 5020.
post #72 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks zombie10k for doing this for us at avsforum. Just waiting now for the Epson 5020 vs Benq W7000 in 3D. biggrin.gif

post #73 of 9801 Old 10-21-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Thanks zombie10k for doing this for us at avsforum. Just waiting now for the Epson 5020 vs Benq W7000 in 3D. biggrin.gif

Man I wish this 3d craze would die already. Then we could get back to focusing on important stuff, like improved 2d performance. cool.gifsmile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #74 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This gives me a reason to upgade my FP or not. biggrin.gif

post #75 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

In real world viewing, what percentage trickles down to perceivable differences. If I have pj 1 that claims a 50,000 CR and pj 2 that claims a 100,000 CR, we all know that we won't realize twice the contrast, but what kind of a percentage should we realize...... 20%.... 50%?
Here's a concept I like. According to it the difference is going to be 6% (47 dB / 50 dB).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto J View Post

I have a thought about contrast, that I'd like to share with you - I don't quite know where to put it, but I guess it fits into this discussion, although it isn't directly related to the issue of ANSI vs. on/off:

I believe the whole concept of stating contrast as a ratio to one is wrong. It's an absolute scale, but our eyes (and ears) don't work in absolute terms, they behave more like a logarithmic scale. Because of this, I believe that the percieved differences in contrast between two displays doesn't relate very well to the numbers of the measured contrast ratios. Talking about on/off contrast, the difference between 500:1 and 1000:1 isn't the same percieved difference as 1000:1 to 1500:1. And certainly, 10.000:1 and 15.000:1 isn't a very important difference, compared to 500:1 and 1000:1. The higher contrast ratio we have, the more it needs to increase for us to percieve a difference. I know this is a PJ forum, but it's certainly an issue with the ridicuously increasing marketing contrast numbers in future LCD displays - if Sharp has a panel with 1 million to 1, isn't it much better than Samsung's 100.000:1? Well, no, almost impossible to percieve (if it were true).

I'm comparing to sound pressure level. dB is a relative scale, just like contrast ratio. Sound pressure level could just as well be labelled as a ratio to one, instead of dB - it's two ways of saying the same thing (except for one being a fixed level in audio terms). I would think that a dB scale for contrast would more closely relate to what we actually percieve, at least in some psychological way:

2:1 = 3 dB

10:1 = 10 dB

100:1 = 20 dB

500:1 = 27 dB

1000:1 = 30 dB

2000:1 = 33 dB

4000:1 = 36 dB

10.000:1 = 40 dB

20.000:1 = 43 dB

etc.

Psychologically, this would mean that it doesn't make much difference if the screen has 40 or 43 dB, but it certainly does make a difference if it has 30 or 40 dB.

Am I way out of whack on this thought? Of course, it still doesn't solve anything about the issue of the way contrast is measured, but at least it would make the numbers more closely related to the way we actually percieve differences in contrast? Perhaps?
post #76 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Man I wish this 3d craze would die already. Then we could get back to focusing on important stuff, like improved 2d performance. cool.gifsmile.gif

Hasnt improved 2D performance had its day tongue.gif

Hardly, but the 3D craze seems a bigger deal to get 'right' on the big screen project than the 40-50" TV screens where the effect is limited.

Not a showstopper in my purchase but definitely an element I want to perform to the best of its ability.
post #77 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 06:21 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks Zombie for the great work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow39 View Post

I recorded the buzzing sound on an iPhone 5 and held it less than inch away from the built in sensor. I tried it at different locations on the sensor side and found this spot to be the best spot for having a clear recording. Just so everyone knows the buzzing is audible from as far back as 12 feet.

Thanks for the details. That sound would be very hard to live with. This has me 2nd guessing my pre-order.
post #78 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Granted, the JVC had a better black floor but for my use, the slower panels, lower light output and poor 3D image of the JVC has me going the Sony route. The new epsons are a better head to matchup with the Sony, but I believe the Sony wins there with it's better color. This is just a guess at this point because these other projectors are not available for testing.
post #79 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO View Post

Granted, the JVC had a better black floor but for my use, the slower panels, lower light output and poor 3D image of the JVC has me going the Sony route. The new epsons are a better head to matchup with the Sony, but I believe the Sony wins there with it's better color. This is just a guess at this point because these other projectors are not available for testing.

The cheapest Epson got a great review from PC and its accurate colour out of the box was mentioned several times. Will the 5020 follow suite? The 5020 should be better in every respect like the 5010 was vis-`a-vis the 3010.

"2D image quality. The Home Cinema 3020e has a lot going for it. For one, the default white balance puts it right near 6500K without doing a single stitch of calibration. Secondly, the combination of high brightness and good shadow detail give it a very three-dimensional image. Third, while it is best used in a living room or other bright-ish environment, it also has an automatic iris that makes it a respectable choice for nighttime movies. Finally, although it does not have frame interpolation, it has a motion detect system that can clean up standard-definition content from DVDs. In fact, standard definition performance is strong in general. If you still have a large DVD library, like I do, it's worth considering."

This should be a very competitive head-to-head battle this year.
post #80 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Are you aware of the typically severe return policy constraints of the vendors?
Do you really think Sony will ship out transmitters?
Do customers receive another new projector or a refurbished one?
You may not be aware that projectors can be unreliable and need special consideration.
This is why experienced owners typically wait to ensure meeting reliability and quality standards.
BTW I've enjoyed reading your posts and following your spot-on observations.

I don't want to take this thread off track, but feel this needs to be addressed. Sony has one of the best warranties out there. Sony's warranty is for 3 years on the projector and 90 days on the lamp. Sony offers a 90 day advanced replacement policy on their projectors. In the first 90 days if the projector tears up, Sony sends a new, not refurb, projector to the customer at no charge. Sony does require a credit card number, but that is to insure that the old projector is returned within 30 days. There is no charge and then credit back. Sony also sends you a return label for the old projector. In other words the customer gets a new projector and is out zero dollars for any of this. You brought up Panasonic, you might want to read about what some customers have had to go through trying to exchange their defective projectors. Since I do not want to take this thread off track, this is all I am going to say on this matter. If you have a response for me, please send it by PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #81 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the HW50ES shipping in the US include the extra lamp in the projector box, or is it like in Canada where the spare lamp is a mail-in offer?

Am I correct in my understanding that the high frequency buzzing only occurs in 3D mode?
post #82 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 AM

The Bulb should be in the box according directly to a Sony rep who contacted me on this. The buzzing only occurs in 3D while using the onboard emitter for some reason.
If you use the outboard emitter I am told the noise goes away.

Here is the buzzing for your reference:

http://soundcloud.com/tj-demonte/hw50-buzzing

This sound byte is a little loud and out of context, but a good way to test this would be bring it in your HT room, set Ipad, Iphone, laptop where your PJ would be, and set the volume to where the fan sound is the approximate PJ fan volume for a given distance.

Now sit in your normal spot turn on your avg movie (sound only and see if it is nuisance, in my case i can hear the High frequency component of the sound as I turn my head 5 ft away through a wall...it actually phases depending upon head position.

This is a discouraging development... I hope to have the actual unit here to test with shortly. Maybe it is not as bad in person... the mic could have been sensitive to the frequencies emitted.
post #83 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Liked: 10
I I'm hoping that the JVC 4810 performs well.I really woul like to upgrade to JVC. I have been spending most of my free time researching the best bang for your buck and I'm leaning towards the pan 8000u,it is getting great reviews all over the net.
post #84 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Glad to hear that the spare lamp ships with the projector. This is an easier process than a mail-in offer. As I couldn't care less about 3D, I am happy to hear (pun intended) that the high frequency buzzing only occurs in 3D mode. This sounds like it is likely the result of the lamp modulation technique used to increase light output in 3D. If that is the case, then I am not sure why switching to an external IR emitter would eliminate this noise.
post #85 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Have you seen 3D on a good home projection setup? I initially felt the same. It's much better at home than what is in the cinema, even on the JVCs.

Also, to be honest the biggest area where 2D picture quality needs to be improved in is in the area of black levels. Improvements seen from year to year in most cases are very small. Unless the start seeing some big advancements in this area I give up on that for now. I was waiting for the infinite black level plasma about 3-4 years ago from Pioneer and when they folded I've moved to FP. The RS45 is pretty much the same as an RS2 when black levels are concerned and what are we saying, 4-5 years difference in models? For now I'm just going to be content with current black levels as wanting more from year to year only brings on disappointment. frown.gifsmile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I have a few movies and concerts I like to use the give the black floor capabilities a workout.
  • 1st ten minutes of Underworld Evolution - I love the beginning of this movie. very intense visuals when the black levels are performing at their peak.
  • Shakira: Live in Paris - there are some great dark scenes throughout this concert.
  • Chernobyl Diaries - Tons of 'fade to black'. This movie was shot recently with decent cameras. The dark scenes have some good detail hiding in the shadows. There is a scene where a girl is running around in pitch black with an LED light and it looks ridiculously good on the RS55 @ -13. I haven't seen this yet on the Sony but will this week.
  • Terminator (UK release) - this new release is a nice surprise, it looks much better than MPEG-2 version. There's a number of scenes worth of taxing the native contrast of these projectors.
I did watch the beginning of underworld on the HW50 last night and it looked very good. I would give it a passing grade, better than the HW30 and similar to the 5010. This is going to be good enough for many folks, especially on lower gain screens.
It's not an exact substitute though for what the JVC is best known for. With my HP screen, I want the lowest black floor possible. I watch a lot of concerts and dark sci-fi so at least one of these JVC's stays in the HT this upcoming year.
it's hard to say on the RC vs. native optics of the JVC. I'm a little divided on this one. I partially think the native optics should be better as a base, but the RC does do a very good job of recreating the appearance of a sharp image when applied in moderation. I think it's going to come down to preference of each processing method.
There's going to be folks like like the RC and the E-shift, so no real way of telling what someone is going to like unless they can get a chance to see them in person. I'll do my best with some of the screens to get a basic idea of what's happening at the pixel level. Having seen the RC first hand, I'm anxious now to take a look at e-shift 2.
I don't see the lack of a DI as an issue in 3D, it still looks great. The RC sharpening in 3D makes a big difference overall. It's cranked @ 50 on the resolution, I turned it down to about 30 and think it looks very good at that setting.
I'm off to check out some 3D on the HW50 and try to grab some screenshots and 3D lumen measurements.

Thanks for the insight. I'm still a little more concerned about how much of a difference there is when it comes to dark scenes between the JVCs and the HW50. I'm not sure if this can be answered though without seeing in person. The HW30 looked good on a black diamond screen but on the HP 2.8 screen sample I tested at BB Magnolia raised the black levels a little too much on an all black screen for my taste(which I know is pickier than most in this area). I'll wait for your further comments when trying your other reference scenes.

Does the added brightness in calibrated 2D mode give the illusion that black levels are about as good? I know that an HP screen raises black levels, however since the picture is so much brighter that black levels still look great and the minimal loss taken on the black floor IMO is worth sacrificing because of the benefits. If a similar effect is seen when moving from an RS45 to an HW50 that is seen when moving from a 1.1 screen to an HP 2.8 screen then to me this would be worth the swap knowing how much better 3D is along with improved FI and color accuracy and brightness.

Maybe I should consider the Epson 5020 as well.

Thanks again Zombie10k!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projector Lad View Post

My comment was only in regards to a coder guys comment on a well known reviewer saying the JVCs black floor couldn't be seen in a darkened room.

Every thing I've read about the Panasonics says their lowest lack level in dark scenes is behind Epson and Sony. That's why I've ruled them out but I am very picky about black levels.

Wondering if the 3LCDs like Epson and Panasonic still susceptible to dust blobs?
post #86 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you seen 3D on a good home projection setup? I initially felt the same. It's much better at home than what is in the cinema, even on the JVCs.
Also, to be honest the biggest area where 2D picture quality needs to be improved in is in the area of black levels. Improvements seen from year to year in most cases are very small. Unless the start seeing some big advancements in this area I give up on that for now. I was waiting for the infinite black level plasma about 3-4 years ago from Pioneer and when they folded I've moved to FP. The RS45 is pretty much the same as an RS2 when black levels are concerned and what are we saying, 4-5 years difference in models? For now I'm just going to be content with current black levels as wanting more from year to year only brings on disappointment. frown.gifsmile.gif

No, I have not seen really good 3d. I'm going by a subpar JVC and our local theater. Regardless, I am just not a big fan of 3d. If given the chance of owning either a really good 2d/3d machine or reference quality 2d; I'll take the 2d setup any day.

I concur about recent improvements in pj technology and black level. There have not been any major breakthroughs in BL over the past few years in the JVC lineup. Maybe this has to do with the fact they are content resting on their laurels and spending timing working on other areas to improve, which makes sense. Once again however, I also attribute this to all the R@D being dumped into improving 3d quality more than 2d. If the 3d phase wouldn't have reared it's head, I guarantee we would have seen improvements in this area.

Achievement Unlocked

post #87 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

some updates i'll add to the 1st page. some 3D shots through the glasses.

Factory glasses, left eye, brightness set to 3. 3D crosstalk performance is near identical to the HW30. I haven't had a chance to re-tune the MV3D's yet, I'll get a chance to do that soon and will report back.

Observations:

• we can see the faint outline along the side of the tree in Grand Canyon. it's subtle and stands out a bit more with the RC turned on, but overall very good 3D performance in this tough scene. Only the DLP's can reproduce this scene with zero errors.

• The RC was set to 50 Resolution in 3D mode and I thought it was a little overcooked, so I lowered it to ~40. It looks good, but started to notice some artifacts when watching Journey to the Mysterious Island 2. Look at 'The Rock''s shirt. The increase in noise is replicated in 3D, so there is a bit of strange pattern that my eyes are following since it's now in 'stereo'.

The W7000 with the Darbee @ 30% is very sharp and clean. I have to do an A/B with the HW50 and W7000 on this specific scene (and the night scene as well) to get a better understanding of the effect RC has on the background noise. I also have to experiment with tweaking the noise filter. I wanted to give an idea of what it looks like 'out of the box'.

rc1-25.jpg

rc1-26.jpg

rc1-27.jpg

rc1-28.jpg

rc1-29.jpg

rc1-30.jpg

rc1-31.jpg

rc1-32.jpg

rc1-33.jpg

rc1-34.jpg
post #88 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM

It looks like RC will pick up on low light noise, film grain and minute highlights then try to build structure and detail from it, tweaking the setting will probably afford the best results.

Can you / have you tested with the Monster Vision glasses, I hear they reduce the ghosting to a minimum.

Did you get the projector from Avscience? I am still waiting to hear when these pre-orders will ship.
post #89 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehotaone View Post

It looks like RC will pick up on low light noise, film grain and minute highlights then try to build structure and detail from it, tweaking the setting will probably afford the best results.

Can you / have you tested with the Monster Vision glasses, I hear they reduce the ghosting to a minimum.

Did you get the projector from Avscience? I am still waiting to hear when these pre-orders will ship.

I posted the original MV3D vs. Sony glasses shootout last year with the HW30. I was able to get the ghosting reduced in certain scenes, but there is no way to eliminate it entirely. It's not really necessary since the overall performance is good. At this time, only the DLP's can reproduce 100% crosstalk free 3D.

The HW30 and 5010 were definitely better than the older JVC's in this regard. The rumors of noticeably better ghosting performance in the new models from several trusted sources could level the playing field.

We'll find out soon.

Edit: I agree with the comments on the RC. E-shift works very differently than this process. Once I can get the RC tweaked to a good combination of sharpness and noise reduction, I'll do some closeup A/B with e-shift 1 to give an idea of how each enhancement process alters the image at the pixel level.

The claim is that with e-shift2, blurred areas will stays blurry and other areas will be sharpened. I can't wait to see this in person.
post #90 of 9801 Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

If you use the darbee at 40% strength or less there is no negative side effects whatsoever. Just a better more 3 demensional image. Or course we are gonna get those that say ANY PROCESSING is bad and not as the director intended, blah blah blah wink.gif
It's almost like saying that I'd rather watch DVD then Bluray because Bluray looks to real. biggrin.gif I actually had someone say that to me when I worked at an electronics store once, and they only bought DVDs and had a big screen HDTV.

That depends on your projector, screen, set up source, seating distance. I found 40 about right for my set up but several professionals I know find the limit to be about 20.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page