Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Not too often. Your best bet is pulling one from an InFocus IN83 that's broken or being sold for parts. But those too are pretty rare to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
A guy with one post in the AVS Classified has an LS5 for $1800 or BO
You know if I had the cash, that would be really tempting to try out a passive 3D setup.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 08-29-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Mine also: 2.8 Model B hung from ceiling perfectly level. Been up since 2000. Cost me $300 new. Still in perfect condition. It's 92x42 (2.20:1) with a bunch of extra drop top and bottom. Since we now have 1080 and LCOS, I wish it were larger. I'd buy a bigger 2.8 in a heartbeat. I'm seriously considering a bigger 2.4 if they return to market. Projector is ceiling mounted - the screen still functions great - rejects all reflections from everything except surfaces which are directly behind the projector.

With all of the criticisms one reads of the Hi-power, it's interesting that virtually none come from anyone who's owned one - - especially the 2.8.

Pip
I have my 2.8 in a family room setup. It is not the screen I chose for my dedicated room. The HP screen is good at what it does, but it is not perfect. The HP was a big help, back when projectors did not have very many calibrated lumens (when I got mine). It is also good if you want a really large size or 3D takes priority over 2D. As long as you can live with it's restrictions.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 401
A fellow member is doing some home improvements and putting his HT on hold for a while. There is a Sharp 30K for sale in the classified:

Sharp Z30000 3D DLP Projector - Like New with 17 hours, Box, etc

it's basically new w/ only 17 hours. If anyone is interested, the main benefits are fast start up and shut down, full automated lens (rare in a DLP in this street price range), ~950+ lumens calibrated in 2D mode and some of the best 3D around.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
That I can afford it is only the Super Lumis I think is overpriced and if I really wanted it I could find the means, but I don´t want it enough as 3D is not important to me. And I think the Super Lumis shows a better 3D picture than the Sharp X30000 (even if I haven´t seen any of them), but it has a much higher pricetag. What I am waiting and have been waiting for a while for is one projector with all these qualities, but I think I will have to wait a bit longer if it ever comes...
Sorry if this has been brought up already, but I haven't followed this thread for a while.

Here's a possible solution for all our concerns - in one display:

An LG 110" OLED.

Better contrast than a JVC projector - potentially infinite.
Perfect black level.
Refresh rates fast enough to make ghosting a thing of the past for 3D aficionados. Add infinite contrast and perfect black to that equation and 3D should be untouchable by any projector out there.
No possibility of convergence error.

Don't know what this will cost (if they even bring it to market), but I'd have one in a heartbeat if they could get the price down enough.

Such an OLED display would be a direct replacement for my 110" HP screen/projector combo - requiring virtually no changes in my home theater (other than really good ones ).

LG seems confident they can manufacture OLED displays for the mass market, at affordable prices. A forum sponsor has the 65" 4K version of this set for a pre-order price of $6,250 (or less). With any luck, it will replace the 64" Samsung in my bedroom system in less than 2 months. My biggest "fear" is that I'll be so spoiled that I won't be able to watch my projection system for anything but the most non-critical viewing.

Joe Clark

Old 08-31-2014, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
LG OLED has the best picture money can buy, but it is not perfect and it will take some time before a 110" will be affordable. And to me a 65" will never replace my VW1100 and 128" screen even if it has the picturequality as the LG OLED has, I have only seen the 55" LG and it has the best picturequality I have ever seen (saw many bigger screens at IFA last year, but the 55" I got to look closer at a test here in Norway). But to me size matters and I wold need at least 110" to be happy and hopefully we can get bigger than than in some years for less than $25.000.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Old 08-31-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Agreed, size really matters. The OLEDs I have seen so far also had a pronounced screen door effect. So much so I wouldn't buy a 1080p display. The fill factor really need to improve to make huge screens viable. However maybe that comes automatically with the larger pixels? Another facyor I would worry about is the longevity of the OLEDS. How many hours before the image quality start to deteriorate? Has the poor longevity been solved for oleds?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post
Agreed, size really matters. The OLEDs I have seen so far also had a pronounced screen door effect. So much so I wouldn't buy a 1080p display. The fill factor really need to improve to make huge screens viable. However maybe that comes automatically with the larger pixels? Another facyor I would worry about is the longevity of the OLEDS. How many hours before the image quality start to deteriorate? Has the poor longevity been solved for oleds?
Oddly enough, yes. But the solution is to use inorganic LEDs. Just like they did with LCD panels. But that changes the name a bit.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
A fellow member is doing some home improvements and putting his HT on hold for a while. There is a Sharp 30K for sale in the classified:

it's basically new w/ only 17 hours. If anyone is interested, the main benefits are fast start up and shut down, full automated lens (rare in a DLP in this street price range), ~950+ lumens calibrated in 2D mode and some of the best 3D around.
This is the best price for the Z30K I have seen in a long time. We still enjoy ours, almost every day.
BTW, there is a 3 year P/L warranty that comes with it. I hope someone jumps on it.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Some of you might find this interesting. These videos were shot in 4K with the One Plus One Phone. (This Phone company is said to be owned by Oppo) Some of these are Amazing especially since they were shot with a $300 phone.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-i...jXwPtAw/videos
Old 08-31-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
This is the best price for the Z30K I have seen in a long time. We still enjoy ours, almost every day.
BTW, there is a 3 year P/L warranty that comes with it. I hope someone jumps on it.
And to think I took a $200 loss selling mine for $1500 last year.. who would have known the price would go up..
Old 08-31-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Some of you might find this interesting. These videos were shot in 4K with the One Plus One Phone. (This Phone company is said to be owned by Oppo) Some of these are Amazing especially since they were shot with a $300 phone.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-i...jXwPtAw/videos
Thanks for posting, those look impressive. I'm going to grab them with the 4K downloader program and see how they look on the 1100.

A fellow member posted some 4K video samples from a number of current 4K capable products including the S5.

Best 4K Video from My AX100, GH4, A500, Galaxy S5
Old 08-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Does this have a universal powersupply?

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Old 08-31-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Optoma HD50 reviews are excellent, and it is newer, cheaper and much brighter than Sharp, and uses RF 3D.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does this have a universal powersupply?
yes, it ranges from 100-240V
Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post
Optoma HD50 reviews are excellent, and it is newer, cheaper and much brighter than Sharp, and uses RF 3D.
please post a link from a review showing the 3D lumens. The vast majority of the reviews skip this or don't do it right.

the limited lens shift is also a deal-breaker on a HP screen if one is trying to get max gain which the 30K can do with it's wide vertical range.

if we're referring to the AV forum review, I'll reserve judgement until some others post data on this model. I spent months with the HD91 and have no idea why they ranked it so high in their review. They did mention color wheel artifacts on the HD50 review and this alone can be a major problem for those sensitive to RBE.

it's a shame the 2.5-4K market for 3D DLP has been abandoned.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post
First I'm hearing about this but does it have enough lens shift for HP users?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

vertical is only +15%, doesn't look like it.

from the specs:

Lens Shift Vertical: +15% (constraints apply see user manual for details)
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
vertical is only +15%, doesn't look like it.

from the specs:

Lens Shift Vertical: +15% (constraints apply see user manual for details)

Well, its not a better deal than the Sharp
Old 08-31-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
LG OLED has the best picture money can buy, but it is not perfect and it will take some time before a 110" will be affordable. And to me a 65" will never replace my VW1100 and 128" screen even if it has the picturequality as the LG OLED has, I have only seen the 55" LG and it has the best picturequality I have ever seen (saw many bigger screens at IFA last year, but the 55" I got to look closer at a test here in Norway). But to me size matters and I wold need at least 110" to be happy and hopefully we can get bigger than than in some years for less than $25.000.
Ditto to everything you said.

My 64" Samsung looks tiny compared to the 110" HP/Epson 5030 of my home theater. I seriously considered the LG 9300 because of the stellar image quality and relatively low price, but I know I wouldn't be happy dropping from a 64" display to a 55", even for that small bedroom. OTOH, the 65" LG 4K OLED looks like a great replacement for the second gen Samsung D7000 plasma, even with its "less than perfect" attributes. The lower pixel fill factor of OLED hasn't bothered me much in demos I've seen, and it'll be even less of an issue with a 4K set.

As it works out, 110" is just about as big as I can go with a screen in my main home theater. With 3D glasses on, the edges of the screen frame are close to the left and right edges of the glasses frames. Also, the 3D image becomes shallower the closer you sit to the screen, and there goes some of the sense of depth. I can't sit back any further than I do now, and a bigger screen isn't feasible. That's why I got excited when I saw that article about a 110" LG OLED. Compared to last year's home theater remodel, changing things for a 110" OLED display would be a piece of cake.

Granted, a 110" OLED display may never be something I can afford, but it sure is fun to think about.
Deja Vu likes this.

Joe Clark

Old 08-31-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Well, its not a better deal than the Sharp
it looks like Vivitek has a clone.

http://www.amazon.com/Vivitek-H1180H.../dp/B00FJ1Q5SQ

Only $820 so it looks like a good competitor to the 1070 which should be fried for only having DLP link.

again, it's a shame the mid-range has been abandoned for a good 3D DLP. The 30K, while not perfect, matches a number of check points that works great in my setup. I can't talk enough about the Sharp G20 glasses, they are just perfect imo.
cardoski likes this.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
Sorry if this has been brought up already, but I haven't followed this thread for a while.

Here's a possible solution for all our concerns - in one display:

An LG 110" OLED.

Better contrast than a JVC projector - potentially infinite.
Perfect black level.
Refresh rates fast enough to make ghosting a thing of the past for 3D aficionados. Add infinite contrast and perfect black to that equation and 3D should be untouchable by any projector out there.
No possibility of convergence error.

Don't know what this will cost (if they even bring it to market), but I'd have one in a heartbeat if they could get the price down enough.

Such an OLED display would be a direct replacement for my 110" HP screen/projector combo - requiring virtually no changes in my home theater (other than really good ones ).

LG seems confident they can manufacture OLED displays for the mass market, at affordable prices. A forum sponsor has the 65" 4K version of this set for a pre-order price of $6,250 (or less). With any luck, it will replace the 64" Samsung in my bedroom system in less than 2 months. My biggest "fear" is that I'll be so spoiled that I won't be able to watch my projection system for anything but the most non-critical viewing.
If LG can get the price down on their OLED's it could change the home theatre dynamics considerably. I'd buy a 110" in a heartbeat for $15,000 or under. Maybe a few years away but I'll bet not many. This is pretty exciting news, especially for 3D fanatics. Not sure how I'd get it into my basement HT but where's there's a will there's a way. My wife puts up with a lot but somehow I don't think I could sneak a 110" T.V. into the living room.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Someone did -- it's gone.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 08-31-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

For those interested here's a review of the Optoma HD50 (not AVForums' review).

http://translate.google.ca/translate...00%26bih%3D689
cardoski likes this.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
If LG can get the price down on their OLED's it could change the home theatre dynamics considerably. I'd buy a 110" in a heartbeat for $15,000 or under. Maybe a few years away but I'll bet not many. This is pretty exciting news, especially for 3D fanatics. Not sure how I'd get it into my basement HT but where's there's a will there's a way. My wife puts up with a lot but somehow I don't think I could sneak a 110" T.V. into the living room.
Less than a year ago, when LG's first gen 55" OLED was selling for $15,000, I wasn't nearly as excited as I am today. Now, the street price of their current generation 1080p 55" OLED is 20% of that figure. That gives me hope this OLED movement is going to pick up some serious momentum. In my small home theater, 110" is more than big enough.

Joe Clark

Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
Less than a year ago, when LG's first gen 55" OLED was selling for $15,000, I wasn't nearly as excited as I am today. Now, the street price of their current generation 1080p 55" OLED is 20% of that figure. That gives me hope this OLED movement is going to pick up some serious momentum. In my small home theater, 110" is more than big enough.
These companies (LG, Samsung, Sony, ect) need to sell something new and they know most people don't have $15000 to spend on whatever they decide to sell. 4K and OLED should be able to deliver a large enough visual upgrade to get lots of people to upgrade from their current setup. Exciting times are only a year or two off! At that time, we'll be seeing plenty of "affordable" OLED 4K sets.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And, if you read the OLED threads here on AVS, Chinese branded OLEDs should be selling within a year. Exciting times indeed!

Joe Clark

Old 08-31-2014, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm waiting for the AT OLED TVs

For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up Congrats!

Maybe others have noticed this as well, but let me take this opportunity to thank Zombie and so many others to keep this thread alive and kicking - 300 pages and counting! My sincere thanks to the knowledgeable and regular posters (you know who you are) for making this thread an indispensable source of reference for so many. And for discussing everything that is interesting in the world of projectors - even those that are not in the $3000+ range, as evidenced from a few posts above. Keep up the good work, guys, and thanks again for 1) converting the regular Joes like me into regular visitors to the forums, and 2) into avid HT tech followers (junkies).

The seeds have been sown and shall spawn a new gen of fanatics. Cheers!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
For those interested here's a review of the Optoma HD50 (not AVForums' review).

http://translate.google.ca/translate...00%26bih%3D689
Thanks for this post, this PJ has my interest, If the price is right I may just grab one. I can use my JVC for movies and the HD50 for TV and sports, I miss having a super bright DLP.

James Reid:D

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com