Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 305 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9121 of 9134 Old Today, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,623
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
My hope is 4K Blu-ray will be like Laserdisc, niche, but popular enough to build a good library. Of course another possibility is Hollywood could throw their weight behind it like they did Blu-ray.



I never said, nor do I think it will be worthless. That said it seems like a lot of folks here who are dismissing 4K for several years seem to be forgetting history. Lots of us, maybe even most of us said similar things when Blu-ray came out: DVD looks good, I'll only buy a few movies. DVD will be fine, you won't need 1080p for a while after BD comes out, etc. But you look back and those same people are the ones who now say "I never even watch DVDs anymore".

I just know/think/expect based on history that on this forum at least, once 4K Blu-ray comes out, 2K Blu-ray will be a second class citizen, as will any display devices that don't fully support 4K Blu-ray. If this was a couple years ago, or if BDA hadn't announced 4K Blu-ray was coming next fall, I'd mostly agree with Mike that something like the VW600 would be fine for several years. But going by history, the fact that, the VW600 lacks even P3 support, and just about everyone on the forum is the early adopter type, it just seems imprudent to get such a high end projector today knowing in only about a year you'll be looking for new features that can't be added with a simple firmware or input board update.
But you are looking for a unicorn. No such animal exists. There never has been a projector that held good resale value after 5 to 7 years. So to ask for that standard out of any projector is not reasonable in my opinion.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9122 of 9134 Old Today, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ultra 150 pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western mass
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
But you are looking for a unicorn. No such animal exists. There never has been a projector that held good resale value after 5 to 7 years. So to ask for that standard out of any projector is not reasonable in my opinion.
I agree, part of it is the demand for new technology in everything we buy, we want better, faster with the latest tech. Companies are doing that but in order for us home theater enthusiasts to be happy we need a higher quality pj to satify our tastes, unfortunately most are expensive. Most of us can get away with with trading up with cell phones and tablets every couple of years because the hit is not so bad, but when you spend 10k or even 5k it hurts a lot more and harder to justify.

In some ways I wish that new models would be released every 5 years that way I don't drool over the Next Years advancements
Either that or buy a pj and stay off these evil forums
ultra 150 pilot is online now  
post #9123 of 9134 Old Today, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
But you are looking for a unicorn. No such animal exists. There never has been a projector that held good resale value after 5 to 7 years. So to ask for that standard out of any projector is not reasonable in my opinion.
Oh, I'm not looking for any such thing, nor am I expecting any resale value. I guess I look at it like this (this is all theoretical): Say I want to buy a projector, I've got about a $3k/yr budget, and a total of $15k now. I could buy a VW600, but I already know that it doesn't support the two most likely gamuts for 4K Blu-ray, nor some other features. I could buy it anyway since it would still "work", but I know I will not be happy being "stuck" once 4KBD comes out having dropped $15k on a machine that I can't replace for another 4 years.

One alternative is to just wait a year, if I've already got a projector then by the time 4K BD comes out, I'll have an $18k budget ($3k/yr). By this time there should be some machines coming out (heck maybe a VW700 with P3 support and 18Gbps HDMI 2.0, who knows) and it should be within budget. This alternative has the advantage of a slightly larger budget and being able to jump right into 4K BD with "full" support for. If you wait two years, that's now a $21k budget, and now you're almost in VW1100 class territory, but with a year for a 4K library to build and a year for the display tech to shake out and you should be good to go.

Another option is to buy a $3k projector this year (say you don't have one currently) to get you by for a year or two until you can do like above but with a slightly lower budget.

All of these later options seem better to me since IMO the wider gamut (P3/Rec2020) and higher bit depths represent the largest improvements on tap with 4K Blu-ray, the additional resolution is just the icing on the cake. On top of that if you look at the VW600, since it lacks even P3 gamut support, then if we say the higher bit depths are the other important new improvement, well then even a 1080p machine should benefit from that. You won't get the resolution increase obviously, but often times even downscaled, higher resolution formats result in better quality.

Really what it comes down to for me is, I don't understand why you'd buy a 4K projector today, when it will be lacking important features in just a year. Unless you're one of the folks who can afford to just replace a $15k projector after just a year or two. Because we all know, at least for those on this forum (folks who just trust their installer to take care of them are a bit of a different ballgame), that once 4K BD comes out, everyone around here is going to be wanting displays that fully support it, and those with displays that don't will be wishing they did.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stanger89 is offline  
post #9124 of 9134 Old Today, 08:36 AM
Member
 
rak306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
No projector has ever had much resale value after 5 to 7 years. Like all projectors, after 5 to 7 years, their value is greatly diminished. Heck my Marantz VP12S4 started out with an MSRP of around 15K (2005) and in 2012, sold for as little as $450 (7 years after introduction). Yet, I would not call it worthless. It still throws a great image. It is a 720P projector, but it accepts 1080p and could play 1080P BD's.
I agree with everything you said. Worthless was too harsh a word. But the point remains, who wanted 720P when everything turned to 1080P. By the way my projector is 7 years old, is 720P, and still throws a great picture.
rak306 is online now  
post #9125 of 9134 Old Today, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
I agree with everything you said. Worthless was too harsh a word. But the point remains, who wanted 720P when everything turned to 1080P. By the way my projector is 7 years old, is 720P, and still throws a great picture.
Yes, and here's proof:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171442442766
Deja Vu is online now  
post #9126 of 9134 Old Today, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 143
The Cine4Home review of the Epson LS10000 has been posted and it is very positive.

https://translate.google.com/transla...htm&edit-text=
Elix likes this.
Deja Vu is online now  
post #9127 of 9134 Old Today, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Oh, I'm not looking for any such thing, nor am I expecting any resale value. I guess I look at it like this (this is all theoretical): Say I want to buy a projector, I've got about a $3k/yr budget, and a total of $15k now. I could buy a VW600, but I already know that it doesn't support the two most likely gamuts for 4K Blu-ray, nor some other features. I could buy it anyway since it would still "work", but I know I will not be happy being "stuck" once 4KBD comes out having dropped $15k on a machine that I can't replace for another 4 years.

One alternative is to just wait a year, if I've already got a projector then by the time 4K BD comes out, I'll have an $18k budget ($3k/yr). By this time there should be some machines coming out (heck maybe a VW700 with P3 support and 18Gbps HDMI 2.0, who knows) and it should be within budget. This alternative has the advantage of a slightly larger budget and being able to jump right into 4K BD with "full" support for. If you wait two years, that's now a $21k budget, and now you're almost in VW1100 class territory, but with a year for a 4K library to build and a year for the display tech to shake out and you should be good to go.

Another option is to buy a $3k projector this year (say you don't have one currently) to get you by for a year or two until you can do like above but with a slightly lower budget.

All of these later options seem better to me since IMO the wider gamut (P3/Rec2020) and higher bit depths represent the largest improvements on tap with 4K Blu-ray, the additional resolution is just the icing on the cake. On top of that if you look at the VW600, since it lacks even P3 gamut support, then if we say the higher bit depths are the other important new improvement, well then even a 1080p machine should benefit from that. You won't get the resolution increase obviously, but often times even downscaled, higher resolution formats result in better quality.

Really what it comes down to for me is, I don't understand why you'd buy a 4K projector today, when it will be lacking important features in just a year. Unless you're one of the folks who can afford to just replace a $15k projector after just a year or two. Because we all know, at least for those on this forum (folks who just trust their installer to take care of them are a bit of a different ballgame), that once 4K BD comes out, everyone around here is going to be wanting displays that fully support it, and those with displays that don't will be wishing they did.

I think ( IMO ) that your time frame for a viable 4K Blu Ray library to be available is too optimistic. I think it will be more like 4 years. Then again, I could just be gun shy after going through the whole HD DVD / Blu Ray war. I'm still buying Blu Rays. I'm not going to be that guy paying top dollar for The Chronicles of Riddick just to have some content again.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Craig Peer is online now  
post #9128 of 9134 Old Today, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,623
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
I agree with everything you said. Worthless was too harsh a word. But the point remains, who wanted 720P when everything turned to 1080P. By the way my projector is 7 years old, is 720P, and still throws a great picture.
I agree, high end 720P units went cheap, even though the high end 720P units threw a better image than the cheap 1080P units. Yeah, my Marantz still throws a very nice image and it is from 2005. Up until last year, I was still using it for HDTV viewing in my family room setup.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #9129 of 9134 Old Today, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
The Cine4Home review of the Epson LS10000 has been posted and it is very positive.

https://translate.google.com/transla...htm&edit-text=
Thanks to Ekki for some great info I have been looking for.

~1100 @ D65 high lamp, 830 on the medium setting, ~ 550 on the low setting.

DCI = ~850 lumens in max brightness so there is around a 25% loss with the filter in place. I still have to check the 1100 see the lumen drop when the filter is engaged.

assuming 4K BD will use this color space, future owners have to take this into consideration when choosing a screen size / gain. Running the DCI filter at medium or low setting could be too dim for those sizing a screen for max output @ D65 / R709.

regarding the ANSI info, the e-shift module must be scattering light in the same way it does for JVC, I was expecting a higher ANSI measure than 270. There is always an argument about this topic, but my room is dark enough now where I feel I am seeing the benefit of the relatively high ANSI on the VW1100 and even my DC4 Planar.

I would still like to see the L/R patterns and also know how much light it drops in 3D mode.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Last edited by zombie10k; Today at 04:24 PM.
zombie10k is online now  
post #9130 of 9134 Old Today, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Here's the good and bad in a summary from Cine4Home's review of the LS10000:

"All these technical features help the Epson LS10000 to achieve its targeted high-end status. In the resulting image quality convinces with appealing bright, very sharp and color-balanced image. Black level and contrast are particularly impressive with the use of dynamic light control. All in all, the Epson LS10000 a device with virtually no weaknesses. But this is not to say that it does not exist: in addition to a native 4K resolution would be even more calibrated luminosity (ie less loss through the calibration) is desirable. The interframe calculation is not quite on the cutting edge of technology and also can not be combined with 4K playback. Dimensions and weight are in combination with the matt black finish little living room compatible and the Lens Memory function operates at the present time nor accurate. If Epson improve these complaints at a high level in the coming years, as the R-LCD / laser hybrid technology can undoubtedly put the reference point of the high-end home cinema and very close to get at the 'perfect projection'."

It should be interesting when AVForums reviews this projector. They hate any type of dynamic dimming (DI's and I would guess laser brightness modulation). Interestingly it seems Epson got the modulation of the laser right -- at least a great first effort.

Last edited by Deja Vu; Today at 04:24 PM.
Deja Vu is online now  
post #9131 of 9134 Old Today, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 3,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Zombie, check your PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Thanks to Ekki for some great info I have been looking for.

~1100 @ D65 high lamp, 830 on the medium setting, ~ 550 on the low setting.

DCI = ~850 lumens in max brightness so there is around a 25% loss with the filter in place. I still have to check the to 1100 see the lumen drop when the filter is engaged.

assuming 4K BD will use this color space, future owners have to take this into consideration when choosing a screen size / gain. Running the DCI filter at medium or low setting could be too dim for those sizing a screen for max output @ D65 / R709.

regarding the ANSI info, the e-shift module must be scattering light in the same way it does for JVC, I was expecting a higher ANSI measure than 270. There is always an argument about this topic, but my room is dark enough now where I feel I am seeing the benefit of the relatively high ANSI on the VW1100 and even my DC4 Planar.

I would still like to see the L/R patterns and also know how much light it drops in 3D mode.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

bass addict is online now  
post #9132 of 9134 Old Today, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Am I reading it correctly that the CFI is turned off during the 4K enhancement?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zombie10k is online now  
post #9133 of 9134 Old Today, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,112
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I just skimmed through the review. It looks like Ekki is now adding a bit of extra information which I like. He talks about "motion sharpness" aka native response times of the image device. He seems to like how motion looks on this unit. Native contrast looks to be a little lower, but not much lower, than current generation JVC units.

One thing he doesn't seem to talk about much is the native image sharpness, aka pixel sharpness, without the e-shift device. This is one area where I think JVC is way ahead of all non-DLP projectors, with an exception to the Sony 4K units. I'd like to know if you can focus down on pixels like you can on the JVC units.

Zombie, I agree, ANSI contrast seems to be the lowest of all LCoS units out there currently. This might give us some indication of lens quality and possibly an internal reflection problem like JVC also has. Maybe once you get native contrast values this high, it's extremely hard to keep stray light at bay and lower ANSI contrast is inevitable?

I don't want to bug you more, but did you get a chance to A/B the 1100ES and DC4 Planar unit? I'm really interested in hearing about that.

Last edited by Seegs108; Today at 04:57 PM.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #9134 of 9134 Old Today, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaViD Boulet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Washington DC area
Posts: 6,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
For so long we've hoped that a major manufacturer would bring us affordable bulb-free projection that advances image quality along side the long-life and instant on-off benefits of going lamp free. I had expected JVC or Sony to be the first to deliver, but if Epson really has demonstrated a real-world advance for our industry, I'm happy to send my applause their way. Had this just been a trade-show smoke-and-mirrors demo I wouldn't have taken it seriously, but review after hands-on-review seem to keep confirming the same impressions. Bravo to Epson for an apparently well implimented dynamic-dimming contrast feature, and ghost-free 3D with the 480 Hz panels. If the lag-time can permit gaming (maybe with various features disabled) this would indeed be the ideal machine for under $10K if true 4K were not an imperrative for a given consumer.

Bravo.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
DaViD Boulet is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off