post #9121 of 9125 Old Today, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
My hope is 4K Blu-ray will be like Laserdisc, niche, but popular enough to build a good library. Of course another possibility is Hollywood could throw their weight behind it like they did Blu-ray.

I never said, nor do I think it will be worthless. That said it seems like a lot of folks here who are dismissing 4K for several years seem to be forgetting history. Lots of us, maybe even most of us said similar things when Blu-ray came out: DVD looks good, I'll only buy a few movies. DVD will be fine, you won't need 1080p for a while after BD comes out, etc. But you look back and those same people are the ones who now say "I never even watch DVDs anymore".

I just know/think/expect based on history that on this forum at least, once 4K Blu-ray comes out, 2K Blu-ray will be a second class citizen, as will any display devices that don't fully support 4K Blu-ray. If this was a couple years ago, or if BDA hadn't announced 4K Blu-ray was coming next fall, I'd mostly agree with Mike that something like the VW600 would be fine for several years. But going by history, the fact that, the VW600 lacks even P3 support, and just about everyone on the forum is the early adopter type, it just seems imprudent to get such a high end projector today knowing in only about a year you'll be looking for new features that can't be added with a simple firmware or input board update.
But you are looking for a unicorn. No such animal exists. There never has been a projector that held good resale value after 5 to 7 years. So to ask for that standard out of any projector is not reasonable in my opinion.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 9125 Old Today, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
But you are looking for a unicorn. No such animal exists. There never has been a projector that held good resale value after 5 to 7 years. So to ask for that standard out of any projector is not reasonable in my opinion.
I agree, part of it is the demand for new technology in everything we buy, we want better, faster with the latest tech. Companies are doing that but in order for us home theater enthusiasts to be happy we need a higher quality pj to satify our tastes, unfortunately most are expensive. Most of us can get away with with trading up with cell phones and tablets every couple of years because the hit is not so bad, but when you spend 10k or even 5k it hurts a lot more and harder to justify.

In some ways I wish that new models would be released every 5 years that way I don't drool over the Next Years advancements
Either that or buy a pj and stay off these evil forums
post #9123 of 9125 Old Today, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Oh, I'm not looking for any such thing, nor am I expecting any resale value. I guess I look at it like this (this is all theoretical): Say I want to buy a projector, I've got about a $3k/yr budget, and a total of $15k now. I could buy a VW600, but I already know that it doesn't support the two most likely gamuts for 4K Blu-ray, nor some other features. I could buy it anyway since it would still "work", but I know I will not be happy being "stuck" once 4KBD comes out having dropped $15k on a machine that I can't replace for another 4 years.

One alternative is to just wait a year, if I've already got a projector then by the time 4K BD comes out, I'll have an $18k budget ($3k/yr). By this time there should be some machines coming out (heck maybe a VW700 with P3 support and 18Gbps HDMI 2.0, who knows) and it should be within budget. This alternative has the advantage of a slightly larger budget and being able to jump right into 4K BD with "full" support for. If you wait two years, that's now a $21k budget, and now you're almost in VW1100 class territory, but with a year for a 4K library to build and a year for the display tech to shake out and you should be good to go.

Another option is to buy a $3k projector this year (say you don't have one currently) to get you by for a year or two until you can do like above but with a slightly lower budget.

All of these later options seem better to me since IMO the wider gamut (P3/Rec2020) and higher bit depths represent the largest improvements on tap with 4K Blu-ray, the additional resolution is just the icing on the cake. On top of that if you look at the VW600, since it lacks even P3 gamut support, then if we say the higher bit depths are the other important new improvement, well then even a 1080p machine should benefit from that. You won't get the resolution increase obviously, but often times even downscaled, higher resolution formats result in better quality.

Really what it comes down to for me is, I don't understand why you'd buy a 4K projector today, when it will be lacking important features in just a year. Unless you're one of the folks who can afford to just replace a $15k projector after just a year or two. Because we all know, at least for those on this forum (folks who just trust their installer to take care of them are a bit of a different ballgame), that once 4K BD comes out, everyone around here is going to be wanting displays that fully support it, and those with displays that don't will be wishing they did.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #9124 of 9125 Old Today, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
No projector has ever had much resale value after 5 to 7 years. Like all projectors, after 5 to 7 years, their value is greatly diminished. Heck my Marantz VP12S4 started out with an MSRP of around 15K (2005) and in 2012, sold for as little as $450 (7 years after introduction). Yet, I would not call it worthless. It still throws a great image. It is a 720P projector, but it accepts 1080p and could play 1080P BD's.
I agree with everything you said. Worthless was too harsh a word. But the point remains, who wanted 720P when everything turned to 1080P. By the way my projector is 7 years old, is 720P, and still throws a great picture.
post #9125 of 9125 Old Today, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
I agree with everything you said. Worthless was too harsh a word. But the point remains, who wanted 720P when everything turned to 1080P. By the way my projector is 7 years old, is 720P, and still throws a great picture.
Yes, and here's proof:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171442442766
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page