post #9181 of 9885 Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I'll be checking out Mark's 1100ES next weekend against a 3-Chip DLP (DP HIGHlite 260HC), an X500, and my DC4 PD8150. It should be fun. I'll have an entire day to spend in Mark's home theater. It's got excellent light control and a Stewart ST100 screen. I plan on showing Mark how far HTPC's have come and will try to show him what MadVR scaling looks like. I'm building a new PC this week, should have all the parts by weeks end ready to go by the time I'll be at Mark's.
I'm very excited to hear both yours and Mark's comments. Though I expect VW1100 to win this shoot-out it's still interesting to hear how these great projectors hold up against the champ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 9885 Old 10-13-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 401
win in which category? The X500 is going to clean the clock ( old term for a whoopin') in the low- very low APL scenes doing what JVC does best. Watching the DC4 Planar with sci-fi and dark stage concerts is a little disappointing at times since it's not as convincing as the JVC's. Even my entry model X35 can out-muscle the planar with this kind of content.

it should be expected that each model will have certain advantages depending on the content and scene type. same reason why I run multiple projectors, I just pick the model that suites the content best and don't worry about which one is 'best'.
mbw23air likes this.
post #9183 of 9885 Old 10-13-2014, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have a large screen (77" CIH) and am very anxious to read how the 260HC performs as I am interested in the 330HC. From what I understand it is the same as the 260 except with the 330 watt lamp.
post #9184 of 9885 Old 10-13-2014, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Im really liking the 1100 much more than the 500, the blacks are better and its nice having more lumens to fill my 145" scope screen.

The only thing I don't like is the (one only setting for motion) it produces after images, yuk!

I only use BDs and using the motion feature is nice, but I hate the after images that one sees occasionally. Do you use this Zombie?
I don't often use the motion controls during 2D BD viewing but will use it with 3D on occasion. I'll have to try it out and see if I can identify what you're seeing.
post #9185 of 9885 Old 10-13-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post
I have a large screen (77" CIH) and am very anxious to read how the 260HC performs as I am interested in the 330HC. From what I understand it is the same as the 260 except with the 330 watt lamp.
30K MSRP for .65 3 chip DLP with 3D, it's good it has 3D at this price point it should be quite bright. I'm trying to see if it uses 3 PIN VESA port for bring your own transmitter/glasses, I doubt it would be DLP link only at that price.

what other projectors are you considering for this screen size?
post #9186 of 9885 Old 10-13-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It is between a 330HC b-stock or the Sony 600. Can't afford the full price on the DPI but the b-stock get around the $15,000 mark and come up occasionally. I would have to wait for one to become available. I worry about the Sony having enough lite after 1000 hours or so as I use my projector about 2000 hours a year.

Problem is I have never seen a DLP and demoing a 3 chip is next to impossible where I live in SE Georgia. All I have had is 2 JVC's. Right now I have the RS4800.

Also I have never used 3d.
post #9187 of 9885 Old 10-13-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
I'm very excited to hear both yours and Mark's comments. Though I expect VW1100 to win this shoot-out it's still interesting to hear how these great projectors hold up against the champ.
This isn't to see which projector "wins". This is simply to see how the 1100ES performs and like Zombie has already stated, like all projectors, each one will perform better in different areas and with different content.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $1295
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #9188 of 9885 Old 10-13-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post
Sent you a PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #9189 of 9885 Old 10-13-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 391
I'm also eagerly awaiting Seegs report on his shoot-out as well.

It's AVS-geekery at it's finest!
Craig Peer and cardoski like this.
post #9190 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
win in which category? The X500 is going to clean the clock ( old term for a whoopin') in the low- very low APL scenes doing what JVC does best. Watching the DC4 Planar with sci-fi and dark stage concerts is a little disappointing at times since it's not as convincing as the JVC's. Even my entry model X35 can out-muscle the planar with this kind of content.

it should be expected that each model will have certain advantages depending on the content and scene type. same reason why I run multiple projectors, I just pick the model that suites the content best and don't worry about which one is 'best'.
Quote:
This isn't to see which projector "wins". This is simply to see how the 1100ES performs and like Zombie has already stated, like all projectors, each one will perform better in different areas and with different content.
Of course you're both right and at this level of OCD we owe to ourselves to own at least 3 projectors for different types of content. What I meant was whether any of these projectors Seegs is going to bring over to Mark will make him (Mr. Haflich) want to join our little club and get himself a second projector. Or not. In that case, VW1100 "wins".
post #9191 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I'm also eagerly awaiting Seegs report on his shoot-out as well.

It's AVS-geekery at it's finest!
me too. i've been watching the VW1100, a myriad of JVC's (X35/RS55/4910/57) + the .95 DLP for the last year, I'm curious to hear what observations I could have missed in this time. wait... on model x, the iris is going to glitch at time marker 01.55.23, it's trash!!!

i've noticed a pattern with the 1100, it seems many want to hear that 'insert projector x' is better and cheaper, why would someone spend the $$ on this projector. For my preferences, I like how it reproduces the majority of the BD's I watch through it. For dark sci-fi, I turn to the JVC's, the .95 Planar doesn't hold up with this specific content although it looks excellent with mid-high APL scenes.

The most interesting part of the 1100 for me is getting a chance to see some native UHD/4K content on it. folks argue about needing the expanded color space and bit depth, resolution means nothing, etc. From some of the content I've seen, I disagree on the resolution part. I've seen UHD/4K content that looks out of this world good in a way that isn't reproducible on the 1080P models I have here. It feels like a look into the future and makes me want to pick up a 4K capable recording device.

If JVC can go native 4K, keep it's current native contrast, bump up the lens quality a bit and crank out more lumens it could be a clash of the titans next year.
d.j. likes this.
post #9192 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

The most interesting part of the 1100 for me is getting a chance to see some native UHD/4K content on it. folks argue about needing the expanded color space and bit depth, resolution means nothing, etc. From some of the content I've seen, I disagree on the resolution part. I've seen UHD/4K content that looks out of this world good in a way that isn't reproducible on the 1080P models I have here. It feels like a look into the future and makes me want to pick up a 4K capable recording device.

If JVC can go native 4K, keep it's current native contrast, bump up the lens quality a bit and crank out more lumens it could be a clash of the titans next year.
I agree with you totally on the resolution part of 4K, I have been in several discussions on different forums on this and people always pull up a resolution chart and tell me I am wrong and I must have superhuman eyes and so on. And when I ask them if they have ever tested like me most of them answer thay have never even seen a 4K HT projector. And then I tell them i have owned the 1000/1100 for 2,5 years now and tested this many many times, but they still don´t belive me. I really dont care about it, but it can be frustrating sometimes.

Nice to see someone agreeing with me!

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #9193 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
me too. i've been watching the VW1100, a myriad of JVC's (X35/RS55/4910/57) + the .95 DLP for the last year, I'm curious to hear what observations I could have missed in this time. wait... on model x, the iris is going to glitch at time marker 01.55.23, it's trash!!!

i've noticed a pattern with the 1100, it seems many want to hear that 'insert projector x' is better and cheaper, why would someone spend the $$ on this projector. For my preferences, I like how it reproduces the majority of the BD's I watch through it. For dark sci-fi, I turn to the JVC's, the .95 Planar doesn't hold up with this specific content although it looks excellent with mid-high APL scenes.

Same here and I have been saying the same thing. 4K BD looking as good as some of the shorts on the 4K Sony puck, will make me very happy.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #9194 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree. People want me to see these models and tell the ones who own an 1100ES that their money was well spent, but I have a feeling that isn't going to happen. At a certain point you get diminished returns in picture quality on your investment. But, with that said, and with the price point I've seen so many 1000ES models sell at recently on the used market, I wouldn't mind picking one up if it looks decidedly better than the DC4 PD8150 and the JVC with most content. I don't need absolute contrast performance if I the Sony can give me overall better fidelity in all other areas. I'm totally willing to give up the contrast performance to gain that. But, it just matters to what degree the Sony has this quality. If it doesn't impress me as much as I think the I guess I've saved myself close to $10000.

Here is my biggest fear and I've noticed this with many DLP projectors. This DC4 PD8150, while better than basically every DLP projector I have when it comes to low APL performance, still looks like it's lacking in many of the hardest low APL level scenes. I say this without even taking the JVC into consideration in knowing how much better it can handle darker scenes. In particularly dark scenes you just say to yourself "black looks grey". If the Sony still "looks" like it's lacking in contrast in dark scenes then that will kill it for me and I already get the feeling this is also the case with this model. There won't be any point in buying it (especially because of the lack in 4K content) if I can't make a gain in this area. I already have two DLP's that will look excellent in all other areas. From what I gather it's better than my DLPs but I'm just curious how much better it is. Will it be enough to satisfy my critical eyes?

PS. I resent that statement about the DI's. Yes, I'm picky when it comes to them. I can't help it. Sometimes they just bother the hell out of me. I'm sure the Sony is fine and just as good as the better DI's out there.

post #9195 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think that in all honesty once you have seen a number of good projectors it becomes more difficult to find one that really moves the needle. The law of diminishing returns is definitely real in this hobby, but you also get what you pay for to a certain degree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as I really don't believe there is one magical "best " unit. I think that viewing content, screen size, seating distance and room environment/decor all play big roles in determining what works best in a certain space.
post #9196 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree. People want me to see these models and tell the ones who own an 1100ES that their money was well spent, but I have a feeling that isn't going to happen. At a certain point you get diminished returns in picture quality on your investment. But, with that said, and with the price point I've seen so many 1000ES models sell at recently on the used market, I wouldn't mind picking one up if it looks decidedly better than the DC4 PD8150 and the JVC with most content. I don't need absolute contrast performance if I the Sony can give me overall better fidelity in all other areas. I'm totally willing to give up the contrast performance to gain that. But, it just matters to what degree the Sony has this quality. If it doesn't impress me as much as I think the I guess I've saved myself close to $10000.

Here is my biggest fear and I've noticed this with many DLP projectors. This DC4 PD8150, while better than basically every DLP projector I have when it comes to low APL performance, still looks like it's lacking in many of the hardest low APL level scenes. I say this without even taking the JVC into consideration in knowing how much better it can handle darker scenes. In particularly dark scenes you just say to yourself "black looks grey". If the Sony still "looks" like it's lacking in contrast in dark scenes then that will kill it for me and I already get the feeling this is also the case with this model. There won't be any point in buying it (especially because of the lack in 4K content) if I can't make a gain in this area. I already have two DLP's that will look excellent in all other areas. From what I gather it's better than my DLPs but I'm just curious how much better it is. Will it be enough to satisfy my critical eyes?

PS. I resent that statement about the DI's. Yes, I'm picky when it comes to them. I can't help it. Sometimes they just bother the hell out of me. I'm sure the Sony is fine and just as good as the better DI's out there.
I think you think to highly of yourself, most owners of the VW1100 know their money is well spent and don´t care about what you think about it.

But as you say, when you come to a certain point you will never get 100% better picture quality if you spend 100% more. This is also the case with the Sony VW1100, but if you count in the lens quality and 4K native chips the price of the VW1100 is not so high after all. If you compare it to many 3 chip DLP´s the price of the VW1100 is quite low.

I can tell you that the JVC will look much better in very low APL scenes and in the rest the VW1100 will look as good or much better, compared to your DLP it will look much better in every aspect except motion and I am surpriced if you see much difference there. If you don´t see this I am very surpriced, but maby not. Kris Deering prefered the X700 in his setup so we are all different. Every time I see the X500 vs the 1100 it always surprices me how much better the Sony looks in everything but very low APL scenes and the same goes with very low APL scenes where the JVC is much better. The reason I don´t own a JVC now is that the very low APL scenes the JVC looks better in are very few, even in Sci Fi and Horror movies.
HoustonHoyaFan likes this.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Last edited by Andreas21; 10-14-2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #9197 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
I think you think to highly of yourself, most owners of the VW1100 know their money is well spent and don´t care about what you think about it.

I can tell you that the JVC will look much better in very low APL scenes and in the rest the VW1100 will look as good or much better, compared to your DLP it will look much better in every aspect except motion and I am surpriced if you see much difference there. If you don´t see this I am very surpriced, but maby not. Kris Deering prefered the X700 in his setup so we are all different. Every time I see the X500 vs the 1100 it always surprices me how much better the Sony looks in everything but very low APL scenes and the same goes with very low APL scenes where the JVC is much better. The reason I don´t own a JVC now is that the very low APL scenes the JVC looks better in are very few, even in Sci Fi and Horror movies.
You're right. People who already have one won't care. What I should have said was people who don't own one want me to tell them if it's worth the money. From there the rest of my statement will probably stand the same. I don't think I'm going to come off of this experience and say that any aspect is "much better" so expect to be surprised. But I could be wrong. We'll see.

I've noticed most people who own either Sony 4K unit talk strictly in hyperbole about them. I rarely talk about projectors this way. I think it's insulting to people who are new to projectors and want to get some cold hard answers. This is why I like veteran reviewers, like Kris, who normally stray from hyperbole and tell it how it is. I respect that he had the balls to say he liked his JVC better and gave reasons why. Most people who review expensive products, not just projectors, very rarely talk about something less expensive giving them a better experience. For instance, I wasn't particularly blown away with the Sim2 Lumis Host I had. I will admit it had the most natural looking picture I've seen thus far, but for the MSRP I was still expecting more. But... if you read most reviews for it you'd think the machine was blowing you the entire time it was powered up. Overall, I think my experience with the Runco LS-10i was better. The Sim2 may have had a little more contrast and light output, but overall, especially for the big difference in price, I think the Runco's performance is 99% of what the Lumis can put out and for less than half the cost. I also liked the DI performance on the Runco more.

I've demo'ed a VW600ES twice now and no aspect of it was "much better" than a good DLP projector or a JVC from what I saw. The one thing it has in spades is brightness over a JVC. I'm expecting the 1100ES to be better than the 600ES in sharpness, contrast, and brightness. We'll see to what extent this combination of advantages it has over it's little brother and what this does to the picture in the end. I will report what I see with no frills or ecstatic statements unless it's decidedly worth those words being used.

Last edited by Seegs108; 10-14-2014 at 11:05 AM.
post #9198 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

I also only comment what I see and I don´t hyperbole about the Sony. It clearly has some weaknesses in very low APL scenes and some in the Iris and is far from a perfect projector. And I see what Kris Deering is talking about in very low APL scenes, but I don´t see the rest. And as I have no interest in Sony I will buy the next projector I find better in 2D if I can afford it, for 3D there are many better options.

And you must remember you have not seen the Sony VW600 side by side with any of you projectors...

I find most reviewers to be pro to one brand and I don´t think Kris Deering is any different. And many others have said they prefer the JVC over the Sony so I don´t think Kris is very special here. What you can see of most of these reviewers if you read all their reviews is that they are clearly biased. I have not read all of Kris´s reviews to draw a conclution with him, but I see the X700 to suit his needs more, but not that it is the better projector totally. My friend Didrik who owns both the X500 and VW1100 does not prefer the X500 on anything other than very low APL scenes and he watches 95% of all movies on the VW1100. And I have seen these side by side many times and come to the same conclution every time. And if you don´t see the big difference in clarity, dynamics in most scenes, sharpness, depth of field ++ compared to the X500 I will be surpriced.

And I have seen the VW1000 side by side of the VW500 and the VW1000 is the better projector.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Last edited by Andreas21; 10-14-2014 at 01:14 PM.
post #9199 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
You're right. People who already have one won't care. What I should have said was people who don't own one want me to tell them if it's worth the money. From there the rest of my statement will probably stand the same. I don't think I'm going to come off of this experience and say that any aspect is "much better" so expect to be surprised. But I could be wrong. We'll see.

I've noticed most people who own either Sony 4K unit talk strictly in hyperbole about them. I rarely talk about projectors this way. I think it's insulting to people who are new to projectors and want to get some cold hard answers. This is why I like veteran reviewers, like Kris, who normally stray from hyperbole and tell it how it is. I respect that he had the balls to say he liked his JVC better and gave reasons why. Most people who review expensive products, not just projectors, very rarely talk about something less expensive giving them a better experience. For instance, I wasn't particularly blown away with the Sim2 Lumis Host I had. I will admit it had the most natural looking picture I've seen thus far, but for the MSRP I was still expecting more. But... if you read most reviews for it you'd think the machine was blowing you the entire time it was powered up. Overall, I think my experience with the Runco LS-10i was better. The Sim2 may have had a little more contrast and light output, but overall, especially for the big difference in price, I think the Runco's performance is 99% of what the Lumis can put out and for less than half the cost. I also liked the DI performance on the Runco more.

I've demo'ed a VW600ES twice now and no aspect of it was "much better" than a good DLP projector or a JVC from what I saw. The one thing it has in spades is brightness over a JVC. I'm expecting the 1100ES to be better than the 600ES in sharpness, contrast, and brightness. We'll see to what extent this combination of advantages it has over it's little brother and what this does to the picture in the end. I will report what I see with no frills or ecstatic statements unless it's decidedly worth those words being used.

A lot of this - picture wise - can be subjective. I still think there was something not right with the Lumis Host's DI on the unit you had. Anyway, it's a 5+ year old projector. Some will value a projector having " the most natural looking picture I've seen thus far " above everything else - some won't. Me - at this point I just want to watch some movies !

I'll be interested on your take after the weekend.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #9200 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Me - at this point I just want to watch some movies !
Me too, but sometimes it is fun too see what the differences are between the different projectors on the market.

What we also need to take into consideration is that the VW1000/1100 is now almost 3 years old and still on top and that is quite an achievement. In the projector world a 3 year old model often is considered "outdated".

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #9201 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
if you read most reviews for it you'd think the machine was blowing you the entire time it was powered up.
thanks for this post, I almost lost my lunch reading it, I was laughing so hard... This reminds me of a number of reviews I have to bite my tongue on. OMG - best... projector.. ever award. (until the next projector review that is...)

I was kidding about the DI, there are times we take this too seriously

I can't see you ending up with just the VW1100. Maybe the DP / JVC would hold you over for a while but I thought you were selling the 2nd JVC for some reason
Craig Peer likes this.
post #9202 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But... if you read most reviews for it you'd think the machine was blowing you the entire time it was powered up.
Like Zombie says this was the best sentence written here in a long time.

The reviews of the Sim2 3DS made me sure the VW1000 would be blown out of the water when I side by side tested them a couple of years ago. To my big surprise the VW1000 was the clear better projector with 2D content.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #9203 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
But... if you read most reviews for it you'd think the machine was blowing you the entire time it was powered up.
Now THAT's the new frontier for AV electronics. Forget about 3D, 4K or 8K!
I suspect many of us will stop caring much about black level and contrast if that technology ever comes to pass.

(Apologies to the wimmin readers...)
zombie10k and GoCaboNow like this.
post #9204 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #9205 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The thing that gets me with a lot of the reviewers comments on projectors is they usually are always based on screening on a postage stamp size screen. In the real world most projectors can look pretty good on a tiny screen, blow them up to a 140+" diag. and the results change.

There are very few projectors that can fill a 140+" diag scope AT screen as good as the VW1100 can. Wish we saw more reviews that came out from reviewers that have LARGE SCOPE screens. Sadly it seems that most reviewers all have postage stamp screens...
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #9206 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
if you read most reviews for it you'd think the machine was blowing you the entire time it was powered up.
I believe that would be a top selling projector.

post #9207 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
The thing that gets me with a lot of the reviewers comments on projectors is they usually are always based on screening on a postage stamp size screen. In the real world most projectors can look pretty good on a tiny screen, blow them up to a 140+" diag. and the results change.

There are very few projectors that can fill a 140+" diag scope AT screen as good as the VW1100 can. Wish we saw more reviews that came out from reviewers that have LARGE SCOPE screens. Sadly it seems that most reviewers all have postage stamp screens...

Agreed. Most folks around here have at least a 120" diagonal screen. If not bigger.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #9208 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Agreed. Most folks around here have at least a 120" diagonal screen. If not bigger.

I can go up to 126" wide for scope, and about 136" diag for 1:85:1 images, but one reason I wouldn't/didn't want to push things any larger was that I didn't want to limit my options for projectors. I didn't want to either HAVE to us an HP screen (thus limiting my options in terms of screen surfaces) or have to choose from among a few bright enough projectors (which would also limit me to the very expensive end of the pool, limiting my ability to upgrade as well).

Yeah, I sure wish that more high-quality projectors were brighter....for the same price.
post #9209 of 9885 Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

looks who's back in town, It's been a while since i've seen the VW600. This time my room is much darker than before and the 1000 has the mobo upgrade with the new RC / 4K media device capabilities.

I like this industrial rack, it makes it very easy to swap the equipment around for different comparison.
post #9210 of 9885 Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Haha, looks like you might need a beefier PC to handle upscaling. I had a hard time with my GTX 690 using anymore than 16 x Neurons with MadVR's image doubler. Here's a preliminary build photo of what I've got done so far on the new PC build (over exposed to help see the interior better):

I hope to have it all done by tomorrow evening ready to go for the weekend at Mark's/BlendZilla CRT meet.

The Bit Fenix White Sata Cables come tomorrow!! (That's 9 hard drives and one SSD. I'm going to see if I can fit two more in the 5.25" drive bays. I have adapter plates. There are 12 Sata ports on the motherboard and seeing how my PCI-E power cables might by in the way of some of them I may only be able to use 10 of them. We'll see what I can do. There still needs to be more wire management, especially behind the motherboard tray...it's a mess right now. More photo's to follow, tomorrow evening if all goes well.

Here's the parts list if you're interested:

Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
2X GeForce GTX 980 4GB "Reference" Video Card (2-Way SLI) (One Asus and One Gigabyte due to in-stock limitations)
nVidia Branded LED 2-Way SLI Bridge
Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case
Corsair RM 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
LG 34UM95 60Hz 34.0" Monitor
Acer XB280HK 4K Monitor (I'm testing both out and deciding which to keep. Obviously both had really cool benefits of their own)

Previously owned Peripherals:

Razer DeathAdder Black Edition
Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard
Swan M10 2.1 Desktop Speakers
Ikea Jerker Desk
32TB Worth of 3.5" Hard Drives (15 total)
V-Moda Crossfade LP's (Phantom Chrome)
Ratpadz XT Mouse Pad
XTrakPads Ripper XXL Desk Pad
Sans Digital TowerRAID TR8M+B - 8 Bay RAID Tower
cardoski likes this.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page