post #9391 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I swear this exact same conversation was had about these same Projectors on this thread before.
This is like the movie groundhog day.

I've had plenty of time to compare the 1100/600/RS57/4910/DC4 Planar to one another, so it's fun and interesting to see the comments being made from all parties here so far. We have clear fans on all 3 sides (JVC/Sony/High quality DLP's) and each one truly does have it's own unique strengths.

I think to have a good, fair comparison, you need a good calibration on all models. Start with a good bt .1886 gamma cal and brightness match to the best of the ability. Choose a myriad of content and run an A/B stack with a split source. Cover each lens during viewing as it really gives a good perspective about how each model compares to one another. I can't go by memory for a second, let alone a minute.

Historically, it does seem that some like to take jabs at Sony's flagship model. Maybe because it's expensive and should crap golden bricks in addition to providing an exceptional display. Forget it's ability to display native UHD/4K content. While limited, it's remarkable to see and a vision into the future if we ever get a solid stream of quality 4K content. The bottom line, it has strong lumen output that can exceed the best of the current JVC's and light up a larger low screen if needed. 4K gaming looks pretty slick too.

from my perspective, I love them all and can't get enough of seeing how each model performs with my favorite content. It's the same reason I have a few different cars, I like variety.

Maybe in 10 years if we get our roll down 4-8K 150" OLED displays that has infinite contrast and killer 3D, we can look back at these discussions / arguments and have a good laugh.
Craig Peer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
So what's next on the list seegs? Is it gonna be 2 pj setup for you jvc and 3 chipper?
To be honest, there's nothing I can think of that I want to check out right now. I think I'll list the 260HC and see if I get any interest in it. If not, no biggie. I wouldn't mind having a 3-chip DLP and JVC here to switch back and forth between.
post #9393 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Will someone please hurry up and test 2 x JVC X500s or 700s with a Airflex5D?

Double the brightness + hopefully same black levels = uber contrast

This should be a really fun test if someone can pull it off. I double-dare anyone to try this.
cardoski likes this.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #9394 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Will someone please hurry up and test 2 x JVC X500s or 700s with a Airflex5D?

Double the brightness + hopefully same black levels = uber contrast

This should be a really fun test if someone can pull it off. I double-dare anyone to try this.
Theoretically contrast will stay the same but the black level will double. Same with the brightness. Cine4home did a similar test:

http://www.cine4home.de/installation...3D_Infitec.htm

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 06:33 PM.
post #9395 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Theoretically contrast will stay the same but the black level will double. Same with the brightness.
This should then "theoretically" make the JVC duo as bright or brighter than the Sony VW1000/1100, but have better black levels and contrast still...all for less $$$.

You can get two X500s + Airflex5D for less than $10K. Two X700s + Airflex5D for less than $15K.

This would allow the use of a much larger unity gain screen and brighter 3D.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #9396 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

One downside is losing just a tad of sharpness overall compared to a single projector solution. This is what the JVC stack looks like:

One Projector:

Both in a stack:

It's hard to get 6 panels aligned.
post #9397 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I think this thread points out that every projector has its strengths and weaknesses and you just have to either pick the best that suits your needs or be like Zombie and have 1 of each(wait, he has more than 1 DLP) or like Seegs, and try them all. I, myself thought I preferred a JVC image since I have owned 3(RS40, X500, X700) but after being dissatisfied with the low ANSI contrast of the JVC's I then saw the Sony 600 and a Digital Projection Cine LED 1000 DLP projector. Even though black level is not as good I prefer the higher ANSI contrast that both of these 2 projectors provide and could live with the not so great black levels over the JVC's. So, I'm currently saving for one of the 2 models listed above. It's all about what you prefer. I wouldn't argue with anyone about preferring a JVC cause I know that's what their eyes like over what I might like that is different.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #9398 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
So what's next on the list seegs? Is it gonna be 2 pj setup for you jvc and 3 chipper?
I keep thinking about a dual projector setup for my family room. Have been thinking about it for a few years. Need a lot of lumens. I just have to quit spending money on my dedicated room and do something. The family room gets the hand me down stuff.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; Yesterday at 07:38 PM.
post #9399 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One downside is losing just a tad of sharpness overall compared to a single projector solution. This is what the JVC stack looks like:

One Projector:

Both in a stack:

Yeah, I translated the link and read it over. Sharpness could definitely get decreased, but "if" one were to get two really good samples, then I think it would be pretty awesome. Judging from the other pictures in the link, brightness got a nice bump up.

I wish I were at a point where I could afford to switch to a ST100 screen and get another JVC X700 and the Airflex5D...and had a dedicated/blacked out room to put this setup in, cause I would totally tackle this little experiment myself.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #9400 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

One Projector:

Both in a stack:

Is that just using the projector adjustment to match up the two images? Sony showed dual stacked VW1100's at CEDIA and they looked very sharp. They did have computer software for matching up the two images.

Added
Never mind, I was not paying attention. I remember reading that review. Nothing but projector controls were used. You can get much better results with a processor made precisely for this. The dual stack VW1100's looked as sharp as a single VW1100.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; Yesterday at 07:51 PM.
post #9401 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

post #9402 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
I swear this exact same conversation was had about these same Projectors on this thread before.

That's funny since I happened to watch "Edge of Tomorrow " last night on my VW600.
cardoski likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #9403 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
That's funny since I happened to watch "Edge of Tomorrow " last night on my VW600.
Cool movie, bet it looked great on your set up, of course my blacks were better with my JVC.

I kid I kid....

James Reid:D
post #9404 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Cool movie, bet it looked great on your set up, of course my blacks were better with my JVC.

I kid I kid....

But my picture was brighter - hee hee ! These really are good times for home theater lovers when we can split hairs over such great projectors !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #9405 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
But my picture was brighter - hee hee ! These really are good times for home theater lovers when we can split hairs over such great projectors !!

I agree, there are many PJs out there I think I would be more then happy with. It's like picking ice cream or chocolate bars. My hope is that, by the time I am done building my new blacker then black pit, there will be a PJ with JVC black and Sony lumens, who makes it matters not.

By the way, my current room is 75% velvet, the new one will closer to 90%. Not sure if i want velvet floors or not.
Craig Peer and Mr. Hatcher like this.

James Reid:D
post #9406 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Is that just using the projector adjustment to match up the two images? Sony showed dual stacked VW1100's at CEDIA and they looked very sharp. They did have computer software for matching up the two images.

Added
Never mind, I was not paying attention. I remember reading that review. Nothing but projector controls were used. You can get much better results with a processor made precisely for this. The dual stack VW1100's looked as sharp as a single VW1100.
I seriously can't believe no one on here has tried this yet with identical JVC pjs...hmmmhmmm...cough...Zombie...

You're review could force us all to purchase dual JVC projectors and a Airflex5D or similar processor from AVS...I'm sure they wouldn't mind.
cardoski likes this.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #9407 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 353

Seegs108,

I'm very interested in reading more detail about your experience seeing the CRT stacks. I haven't seen a CRT projector since, I dunno, maybe before 2000, and I've been really curious. Not that I'm remotely interested in owning one, just to have seen one of the beasts in action.

What impressions did you have of the CRT images, and also what difference did you see (other than brightness) vs the JVC?

Thanks.
post #9408 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
I seriously can't believe no one on here has tried this yet with identical JVC pjs...hmmmhmmm...cough...Zombie...

You're review could force us all to purchase dual JVC projectors and a Airflex5D or similar processor from AVS...I'm sure they wouldn't mind.
i thought about trying this but there's 2 things that could be a deal breaker. Those different colors from each eye is not something I would get used to. plus those glasses are not very inviting looking. I am spoiled by the Sharp G20's, I wish I could make these work with all of my 3D projectors. They are the best 3D glasses I have used by a margin.

What I should have done is grabbed another 30K for a stack but it's already quite bright dead center on the 2.8HP. The new X-men looked excellent in 3D.
post #9409 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
i thought about trying this but there's 2 things that could be a deal breaker. Those different colors from each eye is not something I would get used to. plus those glasses are not very inviting looking. I am spoiled by the Sharp G20's, I wish I could make these work with all of my 3D projectors. They are the best 3D glasses I have used by a margin.

What I should have done is grabbed another 30K for a stack but it's already quite bright dead center on the 2.8HP. The new X-men looked excellent in 3D.
Yeah, but what if the contrast and black levels of two JVCs are still better than everything else AND you get twice the brightness? My hamster wheel has been spinning out of control on this for quite some time now. I'm sure there will be pros and cons as there is with everything in life, but it just sounds like a really solid combination of equipment and could overcome one of the complaints of JVC pjs, which is brightness.

Oh well, maybe I'll be able to do this test myself some day. It just sounds like the "perfect" setup. Maybe one of those too good to be true instances...

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #9410 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Seegs108,

I'm very interested in reading more detail about your experience seeing the CRT stacks. I haven't seen a CRT projector since, I dunno, maybe before 2000, and I've been really curious. Not that I'm remotely interested in owning one, just to have seen one of the beasts in action.

What impressions did you have of the CRT images, and also what difference did you see (other than brightness) vs the JVC?

Thanks.
Personally I wouldn't have gone with such a large screen for the blend (it wasn't a stack). The screen was 12' wide with a 2.35:1 AR. The image was too dim for my tastes and I think this may have skewed my opinion on the experience overall. But, some nice things about the image was that it was wholly organic. It looked so natural in appearance, unlike anything I've seen so far. I thought it looked at bit soft which helped the naturalness I was seeing I think. Motion looked excellent, easily as good as anything I've seen from a DLP projector. The gamma was set FAR too high. Probably something like 2.8. There was next to zero shadow detail. They also didn't have time to get rid of the blendzone artifacts so you kind of needed to look past this. I did mention my gripes to some of the other CRT guys and they told me I wasn't getting the best CRT experience because they simply didn't have enough time to set everything up properly (even though they played with it for two whole days before the meet). They didn't have time to do a custom gamma calibration and because the host of the meet had just gotten his new blend device he didn't have time to optimize everything for the meet.

Interestingly enough I thought the JVC had a more pleasing image. This was mostly due to the seemingly much higher image brightness. With the DI enabled on the JVC, contrast overall looked very competitive but we didn't do an A/B (for obvious reasons). The image was sharper and my gamma selection was lower so shadow detail looked better. Some of the guys there thought the gamma was too low, but that's personal preference. I personally like to see a lot of shadow detail so I tend to stick closer to 2.2. I feel the image from the JVC looked more "dynamic" and had greater range (peak white and black level seemed better). The JVC couldn't quite give that same natural and organic look the CRT was capable of but for the pure simplicity to set up and extra brightness the JVC offers doesn't make me question even trying to attempt to own a CRT. They simply seem like a pain in the ass. CRTs seem like a true hobby and I guess if that's what you like spending time doing, have fun.
post #9411 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What Gamma do you guys use on your VW1100?

Who is using 2.2 and who is using 2.4, and for what reasons do you prefer one over the other?
post #9412 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Interestingly enough I thought the JVC had a more pleasing image.

So now you have the 260HC listed for sale what JVC model have you finally decided to go with?
post #9413 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
When did I say I don't respect your views? I align myself with Kris because he and I seem to share many of the same viewpoints. I also like how he doesn't make bold, hypebole-type statements. He's very frank and I like that. If he likes something more he goes into detail why. The thing about most projectors these days above the $3000 price point is that they are all very good. There's rarely a difference that justifies someone saying it's "much better" and this is one of the issues I have when you and others make that claim about the Sony about certain portions of it's image. I just don't see portions of the image quality on the Sony 4K units that is "much better" than the JVCs. I suppose you could argue it's greatest strength over the JVC is the absolute brightness it can achieve over the JVC. But then again, the JVC simply handles darker content much better. You'll need to pick what you want more out of your projector choice. Both are excellent but if you value a brighter image (or need a brighter image) then the Sony makes more sense.
What I find strange is how you change opinion all the time, I remember you side by side tested the Lumis Host to your X500 and said it was only in the very low APL scenes the JVC was better and you said these kind of scenes are very rare, but now the JVC handles darker content much better. And you also say above 3000$ projectors there is rarely a difference that justifies someone it´s "much better", but when you say the JVC handles dark material much better than all the rest it is ok. And just a while ago you said it only handles the very dark material better than the Lumis Host, and I have seen the 3DS side by side with the VW1100 and it handles dark scenes better. With all this back and forth I get confused.

And how do you know Kris is frank with his statements and not biased towards a brand?? And why do you and Kris tell the absoulute truth and others like me just hyperbole the Sony to something not close to reality?? My friend Didrik ownes both the X500 and VW1100 and had them side by side for almost one year now, and I am alwyas "surpriced" how much better the JVC is showing very dark materal and equallly surpriced of how "much better" the Sony handles the brighter scenes every time we test them. We have done this side by side tests dosens of times and have watches hundreds of different clips ans paused the picture thousands of times and always come to the same conclution. The JVC is much better in very dark material and the Sony is much better in brighter material in dark to mid dark they are quite equal. I don´t think there are many people who have seen them side by side as thorough as me and Didrik and with as much different material. You and Kris have only seen them side by side for a couple of hours and seem to test mostly dark to very dark material and to me there is no surprice you prefer the JVC as I know it will look better then.

The much higher intrascenecontrast of the Sony and the superior lens combined with excelent 4K upscaling is I think why the Sony to me is "much better" showing brighter material.

To me you guys hyperbole the JVC when you say the JVC can match the Sony in brighter scenes. So I think we will never agree on this matter and I am fine with that.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Last edited by Andreas21; Yesterday at 11:16 PM.
post #9414 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
What I find strange is how you change opinion all the time, I remember you side by side tested the Lumis Host to your X500 and said it was only in the very low APL scenes the JVC was better and you said these kind of scenes are very rare, but now the JVC handles darker content much better. And you also say above 3000$ projectors there is rarely a difference that justifies someone it´s "much better", but when you say the JVC handles dark material much better than all the rest it is ok. And just a while ago you said it only handles the very dark material better than the Lumis Host, and I have seen the 3DS side by side with the VW1100 and it handles dark scenes better. With all this back and forth I get confused.

And to me the Sony VW1100 is "much better" than the JVC in handeling brighter material and the JVC is "much better" when handelig very dark material, handeling dark to mid dark material the Sony and the JVC are quite equal. The much higher intrascenecontrast of the Sony and the superior lens combined with excelent 4K upscaling is I think why the Sony to me is "much better" showing brighter material.
When did I make the claim the X500 looked better with brighter material compared to a good DLP projector? I've never made that claim. My opinion on the matter has not changed one bit. A good DLP projector will look better with brighter material. That's something I've always said. And yes, I've also always said the JVC really pulls ahead in low APL level scene performance. Most of the better DLPs, Sony, and other $3000+ projectors can match the JVC with contrast until you get to the lower end APL level scenes. Please find a single post where I'm claiming the opposite. Some projectors can match the JVCs farther as the content gets darker but they'll all at some point fall behind the X500 and higher end models. With some models, yes, it takes a rare scene to see that the JVC can clearly pull ahead with darker material. This is one instance where one could make the claim that the JVC is "much better". With the right type of content (low low APL level content) the JVC truly is "much better" than any other home theater projector. You could make the same claim about the Sony's brightness. For a high contrast projector it's one of the brightest ones out there. You could claim the Sony to be "much better" in this area and I'd agree. The other aspects, not so much.

Regarding your Lumis vs VW1100 comment; when did I say the VW1100ES didn't look better than the DP 260HC with low APL performance? I didn't and would never make that claim. In fact, I've said the opposite SEVERAL times now.

There is no "back and forth". Please get your facts straight before you make a post like this. It's makes you look desperate in an attempt to insult me. That's fine if YOU think it's much better. I don't share that same opinion. I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it. I've tried to say many times now that we're going to have to agree to disagree because arguing more is pointless.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 11:16 PM.
post #9415 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
To me you guys hyperbole the JVC when you say the JVC can match the Sony in brighter scenes. So I think we will never agree on this matter and I am fine with that.
See....again, you keep trying to tell people that I've said things I haven't. When have I ever said the JVC can "match" the Sony in brighter scenes? I never made that claim. In fact I've prasied the Sony 1100ES for this. It looks sharper, more natural, and has better motion. It also has more ANSI contrast. These aspects will show with brighter material, just like a good DLP projector and will look better than the JVC. I've honestly said these exact things a half dozen times over the past 24 hours in this thread.

But....what I've also said several times now is this (from my original post about my comparison):

Quote:
personally, I feel the small advantages it has in image sharpness and image naturalness don’t make up enough for the even greater advantage the JVC has over it with contrast. In other words, these strengths (a little extra sharpness and naturalness) are not large enough advantages compared to the much larger visible advantage the JVC has in contrast performance. Brighter scenes may have had a little more “pop” but again, it wasn’t large enough to warrant me to spend six figures on a projector. This is my personal opinion and of course you may disagree with me. You may find in your demo you appreciate these advantages more-so which for you is a justification in buying the Sony over the JVC and that’s perfectly fine. I can already get these advantages with the DLP’s I currently own with roughly equal, in all but the darkest of scenes, contrast performance. Yes, Harry Potter looked better on the Sony compared to the 3-chip DLP, but the difference in contrast between the 1100ES and 260HC was no where near the difference in contrast between the 1100ES and the JVC.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 11:26 PM.
post #9416 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When did I make the claim the X500 looked better with brighter material compared to a good DLP projector? I've never made that claim. My opinion on the matter has not changed one bit. A good DLP projector will look better with brighter material. That's something I've always said. And yes, I've also always said the JVC really pulls ahead in low APL level scene performance. Most of the better DLPs, Sony, and other $3000+ projectors can match the JVC with contrast until you get to the lower end APL level scenes. Please find a single post where I'm claiming the opposite. Some projectors can match the JVCs farther as the content gets darker but they'll all at some point fall behind the X500 and higher end models. With some models, yes, it takes a rare scene to see that the JVC can clearly pull ahead with darker material. This is one instance where one could make the claim that the JVC is "much better". With the right type of content (low low APL level content) the JVC truly is "much better" than any other home theater projector. You could make the same claim about the Sony's brightness. For a high contrast projector it's one of the brightest ones out there. You could claim the Sony to be "much better" in this area and I'd agree. The other aspects, not so much.

Regarding your Lumis vs VW1100 comment; when did I say the VW1100ES didn't look better than the DP 260HC with low APL performance? I didn't and would never make that claim. In fact, I've said the opposite SEVERAL times now.

There is no "back and forth". Please get your facts straight before you make a post like this. It's makes you look desperate in an attempt to insult me. That's fine if YOU think it's much better. I don't share that same opinion. I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it. I've tried to say many times now that we're going to have to agree to disagree because arguing more is pointless.
I will not find the post where you say the Lumis host almost matches the JVC in dark scenes because it was many posts ago and if you don´t remember that that is just fine with me. And where did I say you said the JVC looks better in bright material. I think you need to read my posts better and comment on what I actually write not what you find out in your head. I know we will not agree on this matter and that is just fine with me.

And to me you are very back and forth with your projectors, and if you look at the latest year in how many projectors you have owned and sold in just a couple of weeks I think most people will agree with me. You say it is the best you have ever seen just to sell it a week or two later. And not long ago you sold your perfect sample of the X500 just to buy another some time later, if that is not back and forth I don´t know what is.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #9417 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
]And how do you know Kris is frank with his statements and not biased towards a brand?? And why do you and Kris tell the absoulute truth and others like me just hyperbole the Sony to something not close to reality?? My friend Didrik ownes both the X500 and VW1100 and had them side by side for almost one year now, and I am alwyas "surpriced" how much better the JVC is showing very dark materal and equallly surpriced of how "much better" the Sony handles the brighter scenes every time we test them. We have done this side by side tests dosens of times and have watches hundreds of different clips ans paused the picture thousands of times and always come to the same conclution. The JVC is much better in very dark material and the Sony is much better in brighter material in dark to mid dark they are quite equal. I don´t think there are many people who have seen them side by side as thorough as me and Didrik and with as much different material. You and Kris have only seen them side by side for a couple of hours and seem to test mostly dark to very dark material and to me there is no surprice you prefer the JVC as I know it will look better then.
I don't know for a fact that Kris doesn't have a bias. All I know is that I write on this forum for no one but myself and for those who might want to hear about my subjective opinions on what I see when looking at these projectors. And I suspect that Kris doesn't have a bias because he tends to see the same things I do when he writes up his reviews. He seems genuine and he posts here regularly to try and explain his reviews if people want to dispute things he's said. You don't typically see other reviews do this and I suspect some of it may have to do with them having a true bias for one reason or the other.

Regarding hyperbole; I just don't see him doing it often and I respect anyone who's job is to not piss off the companies sending him prducts to review and still find a way to write a review without saying "it's the best thing I've ever seen" or something along those lines which I see all the time. Also he doesn't have to with the JVCs. He has the numbers to back up his claims. The measured 420000:1 he got for his X700 review is all he needs to show how much of an advantage the JVCs have over other projectors. He doesn't have to resort to hyperbole because of this.
post #9418 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know for a fact that Kris doesn't have a bias. All I know is that I write on this forum for no one but myself and for those who might want to hear about my subjective opinions on what I see when looking at these projectors. And I suspect that Kris doesn't have a bias because he tends to see the same things I do when he writes up his reviews. He seems genuine and he posts here regularly to try and explain his reviews if people want to dispute things he's said. You don't typically see other reviews do this and I suspect some of it may have to do with them having a true bias for one reason or the other.

Regarding hyperbole; I just don't see him doing it often and I respect anyone who's job is to not piss off the companies sending him prducts to review and still find a way to write a review without saying "it's the best thing I've ever seen" or something along those lines which I see all the time. Also he doesn't have to with the JVCs. He has the numbers to back up his claims. The measured 420000:1 he got for his X700 review is all he needs to show how much of an advantage the JVCs have over other projectors. He doesn't have to resort to hyperbole because of this.
When he writes there is no major difference between the X700 and VW1100 in bright material he is hyperboling the JVC and that is a fact!

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #9419 of 9420 Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I will not find the post where you say the Lumis host almost matches the JVC in dark scenes because it was many posts ago and if you don´t remember that that is just fine with me. And where did I say you said the JVC looks better in bright material. I think you need to read my posts better and comment on what I actually write not what you find out in your head. I know we will not agree on this matter and that is just fine with me.

And to me you are very back and forth with your projectors, and if you look at the latest year in how many projectors you have owned and sold in just a couple of weeks I think most people will agree with me. You say it is the best you have ever seen just to sell it a week or two later. And not long ago you sold your perfect sample of the X500 just to buy another some time later, if that is not back and forth I don´t know what is.

Yes, I go through a lot of projectors. I'm not rich so sometimes being able to afford a $10000 Lumis Host or other expensive projector (like the Runco LS-10i) comes hard. I'm 25 and don't have a ton of disposable income so I had to sell off my first X500 to be able to afford other projectors. Since then I've had two other X500's here. I can understand why you may view that as me "going back and forth" changing my opinion on what I like best, but I can assure you it's not.

About the Lumis; you're correct I did say it can almost match the X500, but again, the key word is ALMOST. Like many of the recent projectors I've had, they can do very well with most low APL stuff, but the JVC will always pull through in the end with the darkest of material. The Lumis Host had the most natural looking image I've seen from a digital projector so far. There's no such thing as the best in the projector world. Overall image quality of the Lumis is hard to beat, so overall it's one of the best images out there and I'll stand by that statement.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 11:56 PM.
post #9420 of 9420 Old Today, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I go through a lot of projectors. I'm not rich so sometimes being able to afford a $10000 Lumis Host or other expensive projector (like the Runco LS-10i) comes hard. I'm 25 and don't have a ton of disposable income so I had to sell off my first X500 to be able to afford other projectors. Since then I've had two other X500's here. I can understand why you may view that as me "going back and forth" changing my opinion on what I like best, but I can assure you it's not.

About the Lumis; you're correct I did say it can almost match the X500, but again, the key word is ALMOST. Like many of the recent projectors I've had, they can do very well with most low APL stuff, but the JVC will always pull through in the end with the darkest of material. The Lumis Host had the most natural looking image I've seen from a digital projector so far. There's no such thing as the best in the projector world. Overall image quality of the Lumis is hard to beat, so overall it's one of the best images out there and I'll stand by that statement.
And I say the JVC can almost match the Sony when brightness matched, but almost does not say it does! To me the difference is quite big, both in favor of the JVC in very dark material and Sony in bright material! And you thinking the Lumis has one of the best overall images you have ever seen I respect, and I think the VW1000/1100 has the best overall picture I have ever seen. And I think there is such a thing as the best in the projector world, but there is no projector that is best at everything. I really hope it will come some day and if it is an LCOS based or DLP based I don´t care, if I can afford it I will buy it!

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page