Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 325 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9721 of 9742 Old 11-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Definitely. It's only if the issue is particularly bad that you'll see it from a seated position. And you really only see it with stark contrast shifts like in the picture posted above. It's really just white text on a black background where this issue shows it self off. Apparently, from early reports, the Epson LS10000 has the same issue. I wonder if it's not necessarily a lens issue but more of a high contrast micro-display device issue?

I took a look again and there is a slight white glow above text on a black back ground. Guess i tuned it out before.lol

James Reid:D
cardoski is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9722 of 9742 Old 11-19-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,702
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 392
This past week I had a chance to calibrate another RS4910, this was a fantastic sample, convergence was one of the best i've seen out of the box. I also recently calibrated the X35/RS46 (another nice sample) so I decided to run them in an A/B stack with a split source to see how they compare. I usually run around -7 on the iris.

using a number of scenes from Skyfall and Oblivion (2 of my favorite reference BD's) it was harder to discern between the 2 than most would think. I really needed a full, extended fade to black to see the difference. With a quick changing APL scene like the interrogation scene in Oblivion, this can trip up the 4910 iris a bit so it takes a second for the iris / dynamic gamma to kick in and then can blow out the highlights when returning to TC in the chair. I then turned to the first 10 minutes of Underworld Evolution which looks excellent with a good gamma cal. Both projectors performed great and while I did see the iris physically moving around I didn't see a very noticeable difference in the actual image when going back and forth. The end of Skyfall / battle in the mansion is a very dark scene and the 4910 clamped down a good bit and had some advantage here but the X35/RS46 held it's own quite well. .

turning to e-shift, this was interesting. I sit 1.25 sw (~14ft) from the 142" 16:9. Both looked basically the same with e-shift off and with the e-shift set at the default setting, you get the typical analog look that e-shift provides with a bit of softening of the overall image. Close up, I would think I would prefer the e-shift on, it looks better imo than the 'chunky' pixels of the native 1080P image. seated though, I found myself preferring it off as I wasn't seeing the advantage at this distance and it looked a bit softer during the A/B process.

there's no doubt the 4910 is one of their best model built in this chassis that dates back to 2010 with the RS40. Having said that, a good sample entry model from last year is no slouch either and overall closer than I would have though. For 3D, 4910 wins mainly for the CMD, something we should have had since the RS40 was released.

I think many are looking forward to what JVC has in store for fall 2015. Only 10 long months to go.

PS. e-shift 1 FTW...
DavidHir, DavidK442 and Elix like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #9723 of 9742 Old 11-19-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I took a look again and there is a slight white glow above text on a black back ground. Guess i tuned it out before.lol
If it's not really bad, and that seems to be the case with your unit, I would keep tuning it out. No point in worrying about something that is hard to see or impossible to see at a normal seating distance. Most units have the issue and some units will have the issue dramatically worse. It's only then where I'd make a point to exchange the unit for a new one or send it to JVC/Mendtronix to be remedied. I just hope they get whatever causes the problem fixed for their next generation projector so no one has to deal with the issue no matter how mild or serious the streaking is.

Here's a particularly bad example of the streaking:

cardoski likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey

Last edited by Seegs108; 11-19-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #9724 of 9742 Old 11-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
seanbryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
If it's not really bad, and that seems to be the case with your unit, I would keep tuning it out. No point in worrying about something that is hard to see or impossible to see at a normal seating distance. Most units have the issue and some units will have the issue dramatically worse. It's only then where I'd make a point to exchange the unit for a new one or send it to JVC/Mendtronix to be remedied. I just hope they get whatever causes the problem fixed for their next generation projector so no one has to deal with the issue no matter how mild or serious the streaking is.

Here's a particularly bad example of the streaking:

Yeah, that was mine. This was on an RS57. The streaking was very visible from seating distance (about 1.25 screen widths). And if I stood back at 2+ screen widths it was still just as visible. I was also seeing the effect on things like the occasional candle flame, car headlight, and other such "contrasty" images in normal viewing material.

This has to have been a relatively extreme case because much more people would be complaining about it on the forums if it was common for it to be so noticeable.

Fortunately on my replacement RS57 I consider the minimal streaking to be a non-issue. I'm very grateful to AVS for working to get this exchanged for me. They'll always get my business.
seanbryan is online now  
post #9725 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,705
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

Fortunately on my replacement RS57 I consider the minimal streaking to be a non-issue.
Sorry, not paying real close attention to this thread atm.. but I am curious why you would accept ANY streaking at all from a new high end projector? I realize there is something not perfect on every machine regardless of price but to me, in 2014 there is no way I would accept this type of defect in a new unit in this price range. Guess I am to picky and expect to much.. As long as you are happy that make JVC happy..
airscapes is offline  
post #9726 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
Yeah, that was mine. This was on an RS57. The streaking was very visible from seating distance (about 1.25 screen widths). And if I stood back at 2+ screen widths it was still just as visible. I was also seeing the effect on things like the occasional candle flame, car headlight, and other such "contrasty" images in normal viewing material.

This has to have been a relatively extreme case because much more people would be complaining about it on the forums if it was common for it to be so noticeable.

Fortunately on my replacement RS57 I consider the minimal streaking to be a non-issue. I'm very grateful to AVS for working to get this exchanged for me. They'll always get my business.
You are welcome. Yours was the worst that I had seen.
seanbryan likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #9727 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Sorry, not paying real close attention to this thread atm.. but I am curious why you would accept ANY streaking at all from a new high end projector? I realize there is something not perfect on every machine regardless of price but to me, in 2014 there is no way I would accept this type of defect in a new unit in this price range. Guess I am to picky and expect to much.. As long as you are happy that make JVC happy..
Give me any projector and let me throw up test patterns and view it up close and most likely, I will be able to show you defects in the image. There is no such thing as perfect, especially when talking about three panel projectors. You can go to single chip DLP, but then you are giving up other aspects and most likely, still have some defects show up in test patterns. Yes you want a good sample, but if expecting perfect, you will never be happy.
Kris Deering and DavidHir like this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #9728 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,478
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Zombie,

With the 4910 vs X35/RS46 comparisons you did, would the blacks be the same if the DI was turned off on the 4910?

Also, did you see any actual color improvements with the 4910 given the CMS abilities over the X35/RS46?

DavidHir is online now  
post #9729 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
seanbryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Sorry, not paying real close attention to this thread atm.. but I am curious why you would accept ANY streaking at all from a new high end projector? I realize there is something not perfect on every machine regardless of price but to me, in 2014 there is no way I would accept this type of defect in a new unit in this price range. Guess I am to picky and expect to much.. As long as you are happy that make JVC happy..
I hear you, but with my second RS57 whatever streaking is present is not visible unless looking hard for it, and I don't see it watching material on the projector.

Since this is something that seems to be inherent in these JVCs, if you want the excellent picture that the JVC throws you kinda have to accept that there may be some subtle flaws that don't detract from the viewing experience in there.

It's the same principle as not accepting a projector unless it has 100% perfect convergence. If convergence is off so badly that it can be seen from seating distance and can't be corrected, I think most would consider that unacceptable. But minor converge errors that can't be seen from seating distance or that can be hidden are generally accepted by most.

The streaking present on my first RS57 was what I would consider unacceptable. Visible from viewing distance and visible in normal viewing material. Whatever minor, subtle streaking is present on the replacement is something I'm not sure I'd know was there if I wasn't aware of this issue with the JVCs. Sure, as a matter of principle I agree that not a trace of something like this should be present on these high-end projectors. But considering the impressively beautiful picture this JVC throws I'm ok with it (as are the many that probably have this to a minor degree but don't even know it).

Even the girl of your dreams is gonna have a few imperfections, right?
seanbryan is online now  
post #9730 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Turning to e-shift, this was interesting. I sit 1.25 sw (~14ft) from the 142" 16:9. Both looked basically the same with e-shift off and with the e-shift set at the default setting, you get the typical analog look that e-shift provides with a bit of softening of the overall image. Close up, I would think I would prefer the e-shift on, it looks better imo than the 'chunky' pixels of the native 1080P image. seated though, I found myself preferring it off as I wasn't seeing the advantage at this distance and it looked a bit softer during the A/B process.
This is exactly what I usually see as well. I completely get why some want to use eShift but from my seating distance it always looks a tad soft for my tastes.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #9731 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,705
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

Even the girl of your dreams is gonna have a few imperfections, right?
Hum.. didn't think of it that way.. guess Booze would fix the streaking issue as well!
Craig Peer, curlyjive and Elix like this.
airscapes is offline  
post #9732 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,702
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Zombie,

With the 4910 vs X35/RS46 comparisons you did, would the blacks be the same if the DI was turned off on the 4910?

Also, did you see any actual color improvements with the 4910 given the CMS abilities over the X35/RS46?
the contrast is basically the same with the DI off. I hope they don't stop trying to improve the native contrast for the next round, this is their claim to fame and is what separates them from practically every other model other there.

The 4910 has a few modes that are very close to R709 out of the box. So does the X35/RS46. If I needed to adjust the color space beyond minor tweaks, I would likely use the lumagen and not the internal CMS.

I'm glad they skipped this year, they have to be cooking up something great for fall 2015. I'll be ready since I always have at least 1 JVC in the corral.
Kris Deering and DavidHir like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #9733 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
seanbryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
.. guess Booze would fix the streaking issue as well!
Booze fixes everything.
seanbryan is online now  
post #9734 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,702
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
This is exactly what I usually see as well. I completely get why some want to use eShift but from my seating distance it always looks a tad soft for my tastes.
it's odd though, I used to run it all the time on the RS55. A while back I did a compare against e-shift 1, 2 and 3. I kept going back to e-shift 1 for the preference. I believe they changed the e-shift element after the 1st gen but I don't recall the reasoning.

I'm still trying to figure out how the change affected the shift of the pixels. I saw this on some patterns as well, it wasn't just the menus. (RS55 on top, RS4810 on the bottom)



zombie10k is online now  
post #9735 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,478
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 446
As I've mentioned before with my RS4810, I go back and forth between using eshift. I just use "film" and none of the enhancers with it.

The pro is it helps to slightly smooth out to some degree some jagged edges or stair-stepping I see from time to time on content. It also seems to very subtly solidify the image in some way giving a more analog look to the image as Zombie mentioned.

The con is it does very subtly soften the image from my seating distance (about 10 feet back from 108" wide 2:35 screen) so the image can look a hair less crisp. Sometimes I think motion might be better without eshift, but haven't specifically tested it although there is said to be a scene in The Dark Knight that shows an issue with it. I've also heard video bandpass is bad with eshift although not exactly sure how to look for that.

DavidHir is online now  
post #9736 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I sit 14ft from a 115in 16X9, I do not notice E-shift, on my JVC X500, really.

As for the slight streaking I saw last night, it is hardly worth a fuss, FOR me. If it was something that showed up a lot I would find it annoying.

I too am glad JVC skipped this year, it gives me time to save for a new model, although I am so itching to buy some kind of display. lol Lucky for me I am building a new HT, the build is taking up my money. But chances are I will buy a new TV for the bedroom.

James Reid:D
cardoski is offline  
post #9737 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
They've definitely made some strides with motion (pun intended). I'd say out of the ones I've mentioned, the lens streaking issue is probably the most noticeable. This is what it looks like:



.





- that looks........... not so good


dj
d.j. is offline  
post #9738 of 9742 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
- that looks........... not so good


dj
Eventually they'll get it straightened out. Luckily my current X500 doesn't seem to suffer from any excessive streaking like in some of the photos I've posted.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #9739 of 9742 Old Today, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
They've definitely made some strides with motion (pun intended). I'd say out of the ones I've mentioned, the lens streaking issue is probably the most noticeable. This is what it looks like:



The streaking is better or worse on a sample to sample basis. This photo isn't too bad actually. I've seen some where it's MUCH worse. My old X55R had practically zero issues with it. Other samples had it worse on varying degrees. Zombie has a photo of what the internal reflections look like. You usually see it in the black bar area of the image. I'll see if I can put together a clip from a few scenes where the internal reflections are easily seen and post it here.
Wow! Does this image closely resemble how it looks to the naked eye, or did the camera exposure over-exaggerate the issue?

If it really streaks this much, that's a pretty bad case. I checked my X700 and it seems to streak on rolling credits a bit, but not on static text. But it wouldn't bother me anyways because I don't watch text. Pristine video footage is all I see.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Mr. Hatcher is online now  
post #9740 of 9742 Old Today, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Wow! Does this image closely resemble how it looks to the naked eye, or did the camera exposure over-exaggerate the issue?

If it really streaks this much, that's a pretty bad case. I checked my X700 and it seems to streak on rolling credits a bit, but not on static text. But it wouldn't bother me anyways because I don't watch text. Pristine video footage is all I see.
Not sure about the exposure, you'd have to ask the forum member who took the photo. Though, I can tell you this is not a particularly bad case of streaking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey
Seegs108 is online now  
post #9741 of 9742 Old Today, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Hatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Not sure about the exposure, you'd have to ask the forum member who took the photo. Though, I can tell you this is not a particularly bad case of streaking.
OK, oh well. I'll just be happy that I either (A) don't really notice it or (B) got lucky and received a sample that doesn't exhibit that particular phenomenon enough for me to cry wolf. I've never seen "streaking" or "smearing" in really dark scenes with small bright objects either (e.g., space scenes, etc..).

Maybe certain screen types mitigate or exacerbate the issue more than others?

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Mr. Hatcher is online now  
post #9742 of 9742 Old Today, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
seanbryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Wow! Does this image closely resemble how it looks to the naked eye, or did the camera exposure over-exaggerate the issue?

If it really streaks this much, that's a pretty bad case. I checked my X700 and it seems to streak on rolling credits a bit, but not on static text. But it wouldn't bother me anyways because I don't watch text. Pristine video footage is all I see.
I can't speak to the above picture, but the James Mangold picture further above looked like that from setting distance. Of course, the picture is sort of overexposed and blooming, but the streaking was like that to the naked eye fom seating instance and beyond.

Not an issue on the exchanged unit though.
seanbryan is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off