Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Member
 
audiohobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi there from Germany,

I just registered to the forums but I read a lot here before registering now.

zombie: Those comparisons you do here and did in the other thread are very good and seem to reproduce the reality one can see with his own eyes very well IMO.

One question: Is the HW50 you now have a pre-production sample or a serial production one?

I've recently had the chance to review a HW50 in my room and did a direct comparison to a JVC X30. The HW50 unfortunately was still a pre-production sample. Concerning the noise/grain that will be emphasized by the RC: We found that the Noise-slider in the RC-function had nearly no influence on the noise, but the MPEG noise reduction in the expert menu did. For example with The Dark Knight we set MPEG Noise reduction to low and it did a good job to soften the noise again when the RC was on, but the effect of the RC was still visible.
Ekki from cine4home wrote nearly the same in his report.

Looking at the "mechanical sharpness" of both the projectors (that means definition of single pixels by looking very close, and impression of the overall sharpness when all sharpness settings were set to 0 on both projekctors) the JVC X30 was definitely better there.

With the RC on, but not too high (the default 20 seems already very high, I then set it to 10) and the MPEG noise reduction set to low, picture seemed a bit sharper then on the X30.

However the MPEG noise reduction didn't work with all movies, Apollo 13 for example has a very coarse grain, there I found no setting to reduce this grain that will be sharpened by the RC.

So maybe you take the MPEG noise reductioin into consideration as well with your tests.

What we also haven't tested is the influence of the normal sharpness setting in the picture menu and how it works together with the RC. We set the sharpness in the picture menu to 0.

Christian
audiohobbit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,961
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Okay, here is the scoop on the buzzing. The noise is caused by the vibrating of two capacitors. There are two solutions. You can reduce the IR output strength in the service mode or use an external IR emitter. Sony will furnish an external IR emitter to those that have this issue once Sony verifies the serial number on your projector. Not all units will have this problem and that is why Sony will need to verify the serial number. Customers that have purchased from us that have this issue, please get in touch with us.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #93 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jsil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sorry to bother you zombie10k when do you think you'll get the Epson 5020. Because I'm looking at Benq W7000 and Epson 5020. I was told by the wife this will be my last upgade for 3 years. eek.gif

jsil is offline  
post #94 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 543
When JVC starts shipping the new models with eshift-2, I think Zombie will proclaim it a tremendous improvement over eshift. It was night and day to me.

Somebody made a crack about eshift whatever reinteration will be a footnote in projector history some day.

Eshift is a means of displaying a native 1080p image as if it were a native 2 x 1080p image by scaling that image to 2 x 1080p (1920 x 1080)and then from that scaled image extracting two different 1080p frames flashed sequentially by with one image sgifted one half pixel over and down. The pixels overlap and the eye sees 2 x 1080p (3840 x 2160) pixels. The resulting image approximates what one would see with a 1080p image scaled to 2 x 1080p and displayed with a 3840 x 2160 panel. Such panels are coming and Sony already has them for the consumer level. So will JVC I predict and I predict 2 x1080p panels (3840 x 1920) will be in JVC models next year or at least in some of them.The eshift process, the scaling and image extraction involves considerable video processing and includes processing which also sharpens the image. How this is done, i don't know. it could be contrast emhancement which is not of course classical sharpening by which is a measure of sharpness.

Sony has its RC and for purposes of the HW50 it is a decendent of the RC in the 1000ES. Why is it in the 50? I believe it is there because it was already developed and all that wass involved is putting available chips in the 50 platform. It isn't there to emulate 4HD just like RC in the the 1000ES has nothing to do with the number of pixels. It is to apply sharpening and filtering to the image. Its the same in the 50 but here it is to sharpen the 1080p image. It has a harder job to do in the 50, not number crunching wise because the number of pixels is 75% less or so, but it has to make up for an inferior lens than the competition. I suspect the replacement for the 95 will as in the 90 use a much better lens and the RC processing would be set much lower if it still uses a 1080p panel. I suspect it will use a 4HD or 4K panel.

4K panels are coming and the better projectors in the sub 10K or so class will quickly start using them. But that wouldn't stop me from buying a eshift2 machine for JVC now or one of the Sony's, the 50, the 95 replacement, or the 1000ES which is my reference projector in my HT. It doesn't buzz when using the internal 3D IR emitter. I suspect Sony will fix the buzzing problem in the 50 quickly. It wouldn't stop me from buying one now, I would just plug in an external emitter, either IR and RF, if the plugging in solved the problem because it disabes the onboard emitter which is the source of the problem as I under stand it from posts here.


Kudos to my friend Jason. Great work here.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #95 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Member
 
fabrixce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Quito, Ecuador
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I live in South America and have no way to actually see the projectors in person before i buy. I'm looking to spend around $5500 on my first projector and screen which i will buy in december when i'm traveling to Miami and then bringing them back with me. My brother owns a JVC X3 with a SI 1.1 cinewhite screen and the picture needs to be a lot brighter for my taste. I'm between the Sony HW50 and the JVC X55, I will be watching mostly blu-ray 10 ft away from the screen and the projector can be shooting from 9 to 14 ft. What do you experts recommend for screens and which projector would you choose thats best overall? I don't know if i should post this in another thread, its my first time posting too.
raullopez1234 likes this.
fabrixce is offline  
post #96 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Member
 
fabrixce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Quito, Ecuador
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking at a screen sizes of 110" or 120"
fabrixce is offline  
post #97 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Mike Garrett just posted in the HW50ES thread the scoop on the buzzing sound in 3D. Mike and I, I am the technical nerd in the M&M combination, speculated that there was a resonance in the timing circuit for the IR emitter which consists in part of caps and resistors, and that Sony could fix this by changing some cap part values or potting the caps to deaden the sound. Lo and behold Sony just notified Mike that the noise is coming from two caps vibrating (internally I suspect because the circuit is going into electrical resonance) and that Sony is fixing the problem and for machines before the fix, Sony will supply the end user with a free external emitter. See mike's post, I think number 259, in the Sony 50ES thread.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #98 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Member
 
magnust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zombie, can you comment on how much lens shift affects the optical sharpness of the HW50 and JVC? I'm interested in roughly how far it is possible to go on the vertical lens shift before the image is noticeable degraded.

Thanks for the good work!
magnust is offline  
post #99 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,633
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohobbit View Post

Hi there from Germany,
I just registered to the forums but I read a lot here before registering now.

zombie: Those comparisons you do here and did in the other thread are very good and seem to reproduce the reality one can see with his own eyes very well IMO.

One question: Is the HW50 you now have a pre-production sample or a serial production one?

I've recently had the chance to review a HW50 in my room and did a direct comparison to a JVC X30. The HW50 unfortunately was still a pre-production sample. Concerning the noise/grain that will be emphasized by the RC: We found that the Noise-slider in the RC-function had nearly no influence on the noise, but the MPEG noise reduction in the expert menu did. For example with The Dark Knight we set MPEG Noise reduction to low and it did a good job to soften the noise again when the RC was on, but the effect of the RC was still visible.
Ekki from cine4home wrote nearly the same in his report.

Looking at the "mechanical sharpness" of both the projectors (that means definition of single pixels by looking very close, and impression of the overall sharpness when all sharpness settings were set to 0 on both projekctors) the JVC X30 was definitely better there.

With the RC on, but not too high (the default 20 seems already very high, I then set it to 10) and the MPEG noise reduction set to low, picture seemed a bit sharper then on the X30.

However the MPEG noise reduction didn't work with all movies, Apollo 13 for example has a very coarse grain, there I found no setting to reduce this grain that will be sharpened by the RC.

So maybe you take the MPEG noise reductioin into consideration as well with your tests.

What we also haven't tested is the influence of the normal sharpness setting in the picture menu and how it works together with the RC. We set the sharpness in the picture menu to 0.

Hi, thanks for joining in the conversation, your input is much appreciated! This HW50 is a production model.

In my HT, we are using a 142" 16:9 Dalite High power screen. I sit closer than most at 1.25 sw (~14 feet). This combination is very unforgiving when observing details in the PQ. This is why I was a fan of the JVC E-shift. The increase in pixel density combined with the sharpening effect of the MPC lead to a great overall PQ that was, IMO, best-in-class for 2D PQ for last year's under 10K models.

RC is very different than the e-shift process and the out of the box settings are a little too aggressive in the attempt to overcome the native optical clarity. I'll definitely take your advice and tweak the MPEG noise reduction so I can find a good balance of sharpness and keeping the noise at a minimum. I also noticed that the noise slider didn't have much effect on the noise.

Ekki's comments regarding e-shift2 have me looking forward to seeing it on the production machines so we can see how RC compares.
zombie10k is online now  
post #100 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,633
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

When JVC starts shipping the new models with eshift-2, I think Zombie will proclaim it a tremendous improvement over eshift. It was night and day to me.

Somebody made a crack about eshift whatever reinteration will be a footnote in projector history some day.

Eshift is a means of displaying at native 1080p image as if it were a native 2 x 1080p impage with starting with a 2 x 1080p image or using a 2 x 1080p panel. Such panels are comming and ony already has them for the consumer level. So will JVC I predict and I predict 2 x1080p panels will be in JVC models next year or at least in some of them.

Sony has its RC and for purposes of the HW50 it is a decendant of the RC in the 1000ES. Why is it in the 50? I believe it is there because it was already developed and all that is involved is putting available chips in the 50 platform. It isn't there to emulate 4HD just like RC in the the 1000ES has nothing to do with the number of pixels. It is to apply sharpening and filtering to the image. Its the same in the 50 but here it is to sharpen the 1080p image. It has a harder job to do in the 50, not number crunching wise because the number of pixels is 75% less or so. But it also has to make up for an inferior lens than the competition. I suspect the replacement for the 95 will as in the 90 use a much better lens and the RC processing would be set much lower if it still uses a 1080p panel. I suspect it will use a 4HD or 4K panel.

4K panels are coming and the better projectors in the sub 10K or so class will quickly start using them. But that wouldn't stop me from buying a eshift2 machine for JVC now or one of the Sony's, the 50, the 95 replacement, or the 1000ES which is my reference projector in my HT. It doesn't buzz when using the internal 3D IR emitter. I suspect Sony will fix the buzzing problem in the 50 quickly. It wouldn't stop me from buying one now, I would just plug in an external emitter, either IR and RF, if the plugging in solved the problem because it disabes the onboard emitter which is the source of the problem as I under stand it m posts here.

Kudos to my friend Jason. Great work here.

so now i'm going to have to publicly admit you were right 3 times in a row.. eshift-1, Darbee, then e-shift 2. biggrin.gif
zombie10k is online now  
post #101 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Holiday121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,683
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Looks like the Reality creation on the rocks shirt made a decent change.
Holiday121 is offline  
post #102 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Zombie,

What is your take on 2D with the RS45 vs 50ES, in regards to the both without the Darbee and with the Darbee. Thanks
blee0120 is online now  
post #103 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnust View Post

Zombie, can you comment on how much lens shift affects the optical sharpness of the HW50 and JVC? I'm interested in roughly how far it is possible to go on the vertical lens shift before the image is noticeable degraded.
Thanks for the good work!

I love partial questions. Like will the projectoir be able to light up a 132 inch wide screen.

What's the throw, what's the screen gain.

Well re lens shift it depends on where the projector is in its zoom range. The chip image occupies a lot more of the lens at short throw than it does at long.

starting with the image center around the lens center, with a 16/9 chip, the left right edges are farther away from the lens center than the top and bottom. Then as you go towars shorter throw, the image in the lens becomes bigger and the edges get farther away from lens center. Then you you move one edge closer towards lens center and the other further away. One must evaluate by observing the end closest to the lens boundary. At long throw, small exit image from lens, more lens shift is posible than at close throw (largest image). That's why lenses perform better sharpness wise at l;ong throw, because everything os closer to the sweet spot.


Anyhow, to seek an evaluation, you need to specify the throw multiplier or the throw distance and sceen width with aspect ration of the screen.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #104 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 2,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

You are wrong. I have seen both and this is just not true.
It is personal taste but for me, the RC at minimum, make the picture look very detail but not too digital.
Please guy, dont fill this thread with false info like that.
Let Zombie give is impression. He have both in is room...


How about maybe . . . you are the one who's wrong (especially with lacking respect for another's view!). I just got done previewing this for myself and came away feeling even better about the RS55/Darbee combo (MPC/2 should be even better!). MPC is much more "real" in terms of IQ than the RC with Darbee (which did look very "cooked"). But this is all a matter of perspective... try it sometime... it really works. rolleyes.gif

Does that make me wrong too?? I'm sure to you it does but it doesn't make it de-facto "false info" just because you don't agree with another's perspective on this forum. I agree with one thing you said however... personal taste... it's different for everyone... keep that in mind and show a little respect. wink.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
krichter1 is offline  
post #105 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 543
"Cooked?"

Boiled? Stewed? Fried? Baked? Grilled? Roasted? Braised? Poached?


I guess it doesn't matter as long as you don't get burnt.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #106 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 2,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I prefer my picture Sauteed my friend! A little bit of salt (WB) and a LOT of Black pepper (oh and I forgot to mention... the JVC also had a LOT more pepper than the Sony!). tongue.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
krichter1 is offline  
post #107 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 3,951
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post


Does that make me wrong too?? I'm sure to you it does but it doesn't make it de-facto "false info" just because you don't agree with another's perspective on this forum. I agree with one thing you said however... personal taste... it's different for everyone... keep that in mind and show a little respect. wink.gif

I'm sure he can speak for himself, but he certainly wasn't trying to disrespect anyone. I can appreciate the point he was trying to get across. The problem on these forums is there is a lot of here say thrown around. People speak through others experiences without having first hand knowledge.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

bass addict is offline  
post #108 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 2,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Yes but first consider the source making the claim (was my point). wink.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
krichter1 is offline  
post #109 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,985
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
There are just so many variables that even when people are right they are wrong. Like you can watch a certain movie and it looks better on one projector than another, just because of the processing, noise, darkness/lightness in the movie. However, there are certain projectors that overwhelmingly look better across certain content for specific attributes for sure (darker blacks, sharper, whatever). There are times where I've thought, wow I don't need my JVC cause I haven't seen too many dark blacks lately, then at other times I'm reminded of how good it is at that point when I watch a certain movie.

I think last year's JVC's are really good at what they are good at, and not that bad at what they are not the best at (except they stunk it up in 3D, especially after lamp ages and then it's ghost city).

Haven't seen any of the newer projectors yet, maybe next month I'll catch them but it'll probably be in a showroom so it's not a great test (better than nothing). Zombie is good at keeping emotion out of the review, even though some says he favors JVC, I really don't think he favors any of them, I think he just likes those attributes more for movies (which many do). I am sure if the Sony really walloped the new JVC, then Zombie will tell us it does.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #110 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

There are just so many variables that even when people are right they are wrong. Like you can watch a certain movie and it looks better on one projector than another, just because of the processing, noise, darkness/lightness in the movie. There are times where I've thought, wow I don't need my JVC cause I haven't seen too many dark blacks lately, then at other times I'm reminded of how good it is at that point when I watch a certain movie. It has other positive 2D attributes as well, but handling dirty sources isn't one of them (so I think people using a JVC as a TV on an average Comcast cable signal might find it lackluster, but some of you have much better cable than I do).
I think last year's JVC's are really good at what they are good at, and not that bad at what they are not the best at (except they stunk it up in 3D, especially after lamp ages and then it's ghost city).
Haven't seen any of the newer projectors yet, maybe next month I'll catch them but it'll probably be in a showroom so it's not a great test (better than nothing). Zombie is good at keeping emotion out of the review, even though some says he favors JVC, I really don't think he favors any of them, I think he just likes those attributes more for movies (which many do). I am sure if the Sony really walloped the new JVC, then Zombie will tell us it does.

The projectors in this shoot out are ALL GOOD and none will wallop the others. Some will have better motion, better 3D, higher brightness, etc, and some will have better blacks, and smother picture. It really comes down to what you want and YOUR VIEWING invironment.

It's pretty clear that Jason likes the JVC because he is running: 1. A very large screen (eshift), and 2. HP screen, which really benefits from the lower black floor when the iris is clamped down to -15.

Now, do I wish Jason was running the exact same setup as me. YES. That way I would know how the projectors would compare in my exact situation, but there are too many different possibilities that effect picture quality to say that 1 projector is better for everyones setup is stupid. Jason is very clear that he needs the absolute black floor that only the JVC can provide and he is good at being as impartial as possible.

I agree that everyone needs to see darbee or RC for themselves to decide if they like it or not. However, the comments from members, and reviews seem to very much favour RC on the Sony in moderation (so much so that some people have decided to use the 50 instead of the 95)
conan48 is online now  
post #111 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,985
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Yes, you are right that it depends on the setup for some, but for some people we will make the setup fit the projector if a projector is good enough to be worth it. Actually I do think in some ways some projectors get walloped, but I won't go there :P

My post was more directed at the general observer, not the experienced PRO. I mean all of us know two projectors are better than one, and three is the nirvana. These are mostly going to be incremental improvements over last year (though the Sony is quite a bit brighter), but I want to reserve judgement to see what Zombie says, maybe some improvements will be more than incremental.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #112 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 2,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

The projectors in this shoot out are ALL GOOD and none will wallop the others. Some will have better motion, better 3D, higher brightness, etc, and some will have better blacks, and smother picture. It really comes down to what you want and YOUR VIEWING invironment.
It's pretty clear that Jason likes the JVC because he is running: 1. A very large screen (eshift), and 2. HP screen, which really benefits from the lower black floor when the iris is clamped down to -15.
Now, do I wish Jason was running the exact same setup as me. YES. That way I would know how the projectors would compare in my exact situation, but there are too many different possibilities that effect picture quality to say that 1 projector is better for everyones setup is stupid. Jason is very clear that he needs the absolute black floor that only the JVC can provide and he is good at being as impartial as possible.
I agree that everyone needs to see darbee or RC for themselves to decide if they like it or not. However, the comments from members, and reviews seem to very much favour RC on the Sony in moderation (so much so that some people have decided to use the 50 instead of the 95)

Now there's some good perspective!

(Oh and BTW... so as not to sound like a complete JVC fanboy... the Sony's motion on sports was fantastic!)

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
krichter1 is offline  
post #113 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,985
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
It's more content based than setup based for most of us, since most of these projectors can be rigged to fit in someone's setup (other than CIH issues, but even that is workable). As I've said before, I'll sledge hammer a room before I refuse to install a projector that I like. We're already starting to get past the point of the Lumens issue for most people other than the ones that have the gigantico NON-gain screens or need some ridiculo amount of lens shift or throw. The reason projectors don't wallop another is because if anyone says it did, then you'll get rotten pumpkin pies thrown at you for the next 6 months in the forum. That said, most aren't THAT far apart, but depends how picky someone is (I'm pretty picky).


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #114 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 06:39 PM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

That depends on your projector, screen, set up source, seating distance. I found 40 about right for my set up but several professionals I know find the limit to be about 20.
You took my thoughts exactly. If artifacts are present then it adjusted to high. Cine4Home and Projector Review have tested extensively and recommend no more than a setting of 20.

So is the RC going to be set to 40 to compare against the Darbee? In that is indeed going to be the case, the Darbee will win. No contest.

Here is what Art states:
"After extensive viewing of material with Reality Creation on (at the lowest default setting of 20 out of 100), and comparing that to RC turned off, the image looks much better to me, when on in almost all cases. Much better!

I've played with detail enhancement features for several years now. Most cannot add much "sharpness" without also revealing some level of minor artifacts - which can be annoying.
The Sony seems to offer the best yet. I spent over an hour playing with Reality Creation, and Epson's Super-Resolution, side by side (HW50ES, and HC5010). No question, even on the low default of 20, the Sony makes everything look sharper than the Epson even with its Super-Resolution up at maximum of 5. Mind you I would not use Super-Res at 5, because in many scenes its "over the top", and easily noticeable. (3 is good, 4 usually is fine). With RC, however, at 20, almost everything looks great, and sharp, (15 is even safer). Rarely at 20 did I see anything over the top. An exception is a shot of Pippen from Lord of the Rings."
http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/hw50es/index.php
HiFiFun is offline  
post #115 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,961
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

The projectors in this shoot out are ALL GOOD and none will wallop the others. Some will have better motion, better 3D, higher brightness, etc, and some will have better blacks, and smother picture. It really comes down to what you want and YOUR VIEWING invironment.
It's pretty clear that Jason likes the JVC because he is running: 1. A very large screen (eshift), and 2. HP screen, which really benefits from the lower black floor when the iris is clamped down to -15.
Now, do I wish Jason was running the exact same setup as me. YES. That way I would know how the projectors would compare in my exact situation, but there are too many different possibilities that effect picture quality to say that 1 projector is better for everyones setup is stupid. Jason is very clear that he needs the absolute black floor that only the JVC can provide and he is good at being as impartial as possible.
I agree that everyone needs to see darbee or RC for themselves to decide if they like it or not. However, the comments from members, and reviews seem to very much favour RC on the Sony in moderation (so much so that some people have decided to use the 50 instead of the 95)

So very true. The only thing I would change with your first sentence is:

The projectors in this shoot out are ALL GOOD and none will wallop the others. Some will have better motion, better 3D, higher brightness, etc, and some will have better blacks, and smother picture. It really comes down to what you want and need for YOUR VIEWING environment.

The projector that is right for one customer may not be the best projector for another customer. It all comes down to what is needed most for that customers setup.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #116 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

I prefer my picture Sauteed my friend! A little bit of salt (WB) and a LOT of Black pepper (oh and I forgot to mention... the JVC also had a LOT more pepper than the Sony!). tongue.gif

See salt? Try a bit of sea salt on a piece of chocolate.Yum.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #117 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 PM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

The projectors in this shoot out are ALL GOOD and none will wallop the others. Some will have better motion, better 3D, higher brightness, etc, and some will have better blacks, and smother picture. It really comes down to what you want and YOUR VIEWING invironment.
It's pretty clear that Jason likes the JVC because he is running: 1. A very large screen (eshift), and 2. HP screen, which really benefits from the lower black floor when the iris is clamped down to -15.
Now, do I wish Jason was running the exact same setup as me. YES. That way I would know how the projectors would compare in my exact situation, but there are too many different possibilities that effect picture quality to say that 1 projector is better for everyones setup is stupid. Jason is very clear that he needs the absolute black floor that only the JVC can provide and he is good at being as impartial as possible.
I agree that everyone needs to see darbee or RC for themselves to decide if they like it or not. However, the comments from members, and reviews seem to very much favour RC on the Sony in moderation (so much so that some people have decided to use the 50 instead of the 95)
Excellent points. Actually Zombie recommends a two projector setup: the JVC 55 for 2D and the BenQ 7000 for 3D.

The big question here is will ONE PROJECTOR be good enough for 2D/3D for the vast majority of consumers?
The answer should be cherry-pick'in obvious!
HiFiFun is offline  
post #118 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,985
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Well I haven't seen this year's projectors, so I cannot say but in the past there were definitely some real dissapointments. That is why we are lucky to have an honest reviewer here, since it seems the other reviewers mostly either miss stuff or someone is slipping them money under the table (hey not accusing anyone, but it sure seems some of that way as ridiculous as some reviews have gotten). Each year the professional reviews have gotten more and more ridiculous and invalid.

The hc7800 was walloped, so I disagree all projectors are good choices, according to the overwhelming majority of the forum, it was one problem after another. IRIS didn't work right, noisy, some artifacts, 3D not working right for a DLP (some even said it was like a JVC in 3D). Native On/Off without the IRIS working limited by non-dynamic non-working IRIS on/off. Was this projector walloped by an Optoma hd8300, darn right it was... And if you were a 3D purist, the Benq w7000 walloped it because the hc7800's blacks really weren't ENOUGH of an improvement to counteract its weaknesses. That said, the firmware helped some, but it was still plagued with issues so I heard. Was the Sharp xxxxx walloped, some Sharps were...

Now the above is from what posters have been saying, I didn't run out and test one, but I didn't see too many experienced projector users end up keeping it for its purposes. It also didn't have nearly enough lumens in 3D, so the very strengths we wanted to have, it fell completely in the gutter.

We can also look at the RS-60, huge dissapointment in lumens and problems with the CMS, lamp issues, and other issues. Will the hc8000 be walloped, doubt it, I think they probably fixed it. Though at least with an RS-60 if you had a small high gain screen, it would produce an overall fabulous picture (issues not withstanding)...

Can some projectors wallop others, absolutely, especially when there are issues.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #119 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 3,951
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Well I haven't seen this year's projectors, so I cannot say but in the past there were definitely some real dissapointments. That is why we are lucky to have an honest reviewer here, since it seems the other reviewers mostly either miss stuff or someone is slipping them money under the table (hey not accusing anyone, but it sure seems some of that way as ridiculous as some reviews are).
The hc7800 was walloped, so I disagree all projectors are good choices, according to the overwhelming majority of the forum, it was one problem after another. IRIS didn't work right, noisy, some artifacts, 3D not working right for a DLP (some even said it was like a JVC in 3D). Native On/Off without the IRIS working limited by non-dynamic non-working IRIS on/off. Was this projector walloped by an Optoma hd8300, darn right it was... And if you were a 3D purist, the Benq w7000 walloped it because the hc7800's blacks really weren't ENOUGH of an improvement to counteract its weaknesses. That said, the firmware helped some, but it was still plagued with issues so I heard. Was the Sharp xxxxx walloped, some Sharps were...
Now the above is from what posters have been saying, I didn't run out and test one, but I didn't see too many experienced projector users end up keeping it for its purposes. It also didn't have nearly enough lumens in 3D, so the very strengths we wanted to have, it fell completely in the gutter.
We can also look at the RS-60, huge dissapointment in lumens and problems with the CMS, lamp issues, and other issues. Will the hc8000 be walloped, doubt it, I think they probably fixed it. Though at least with an RS-60 if you had a small high gain screen, it would produce an overall fabulous picture (issues not withstanding)...
Can some projectors wallop others, absolutely, especially when there are issues.

I'd agree other than the fact that he wasn't talking about other projectors. He clearly stated projectors in this shootout. In this case I think that's a pretty accurate statement. The only thing I would have added is; thus far. There will always be projectors that fall short. We'll see when the 4810 drops. I think JVC is going to be very careful about coming out with a projector that meets the hype after some of their latest debacles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

The projectors in this shoot out are ALL GOOD and none will wallop the others. Some will have better motion, better 3D, higher brightness, etc, and some will have better blacks, and smother picture. It really comes down to what you want and YOUR VIEWING invironment.
It's pretty clear that Jason likes the JVC because he is running: 1. A very large screen (eshift), and 2. HP screen, which really benefits from the lower black floor when the iris is clamped down to -15.
Now, do I wish Jason was running the exact same setup as me. YES. That way I would know how the projectors would compare in my exact situation, but there are too many different possibilities that effect picture quality to say that 1 projector is better for everyones setup is stupid. Jason is very clear that he needs the absolute black floor that only the JVC can provide and he is good at being as impartial as possible.
I agree that everyone needs to see darbee or RC for themselves to decide if they like it or not. However, the comments from members, and reviews seem to very much favour RC on the Sony in moderation (so much so that some people have decided to use the 50 instead of the 95)

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

bass addict is offline  
post #120 of 9339 Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,985
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I'd agree other than the fact that he wasn't talking about other projectors.

The Mits hc8000 is in the shootout as long as he is able to get one from AVS (he said he would), and we don't know all the info on these projectors yet. The reason we are here is just as much to let Zombie's keen eye and tests see if he sees anything out of the ordinary, at least that is why I am here. I am not here to know Sony's black levels, most of us could have probably guessed some improvement but not THAT much, just like the last past 5 years in contrast increases, it is almost always incremental, people just hype up the differences at first. Feature wise projectors improve pretty nicely, contrast wise it's a slow and painful process.

I agree the Sony and the JVC probably do not have BIG issues, but we don't know for sure until he has put them through the works. That said, I am looking forward to the Mits hc8000 review, I always loved the image the old Mits DLP's put out and wished they could tweak them to a higher price point, they tried but failed. Also we don't know what all projectors Zombie will test, some forum members might even provide him other units eventually.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off