Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
7)Ansi-contrast: Winner Sony. This was to me the biggest surprise of the shootout. I thought the JVC with famed contrast ratios and black level performance would win this easily. In actual fact not. There is far more shadow detail visible on the Sony. For example in "The Dark Knight", at 37:12mins, there is an outside panaroma of the cityscape. Just to the left of the tall skyscraper (itself to the left) are two small buildings. At least there are on the Sony. On the JVC there is only one, as the other is completely invisible. We tried to remedy this by altering gamma etc but were unable to do so. The Sony also demonstrated on other shots its superior ability to show detail in the murky depths where the JVC could not.

I don't understand this comment from the review. If some details are more visible in shadows on the Sony vs. the JVC, that seems to me to be a gamma problem, & I'm surprised they weren't able to fix this with a different gamma setting on the JVC. Perhaps a calibration is in order?

Contrast is defined as the ratio of brightest/darkest, so I'm confused as to what detail in shadows has to do with ANSI contrast, which I would think should measure the white/black of a checkerboard pattern...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 489
It could also be an issue of on/off whether dynamic or not. Unless the on/off is sufficiently high one can't run a high gamma without black crush which could be described as a loss of detail in the darkest portion./B] before one screams that the JVC on off static is sooo high, in reality the ultimate on screen on off would depend on the JVC throw distance, iris opening, and bulp power setting. As set up, the Sony could of had a higher on off whether dynamically or statically.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1533 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I remember hearing that the new JVC's had a DC bulb, but was not confirmed. Do we know if they do indeed have a dc bulb?

Thanks
post #1534 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

At cedia, the US JVC folks (good folks BTW) were stating that the projectors had a DC power supply and bulb. After the show, there said that might have been misinformation. They must rely on what they are told by the JapaneseJVC folks at the show and sometimes I think somethings get lost in the translation.. We will find out for sure later when someone opens the mother up and looks at the bulb. But no matter what it ends up being, it will be what it is and I doubt it would really influence anyones buying decision.AC or Dc is an important for many sexual distinction, it really maters little re projector bulbs. Though it is harder to screw up things like bulb ignition with a DC bulb.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1535 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Talking with Mike about the new JVC lamp. He said JVC went with the best lamp manufacture this time. From my understanding a less than stellar lamp supplier was the problem the last two years.
post #1536 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I really wonder how much the zoom level really affects black levels. About a year and a half ago I had an RS2 clone (Pioneer FPJ1) and I originally has ~10.5ft throw onto a 106"(16:9) screen and tried a longer throw of roughly 18 feet and as far as the deepest black levels go I couldn't tell a difference. I did have an HP screen and the shorter throw was on a ceiling with a drop down pole whereas with the longer throw it was on a shelf. When I did the test I used the HP calculator and screen gain was roughly equal.

Having said that, it's good to know that the HW50 is in the ballpark of the X55/X35 however I wonder how much better the HW50 would have looked had the test performed been done with the DI. Those guys on AVforums really don't like DIs.

zombie,

Does details in The Amazing Spider-man look good and are outdoor scenes in 3D bright on the Sony/Epson? On my RS45 it looks so dim for me it's not worth watching. It was noted that this movie is dark to begin with but I am wondering if for now this movie just isn't worth considering in 3D.
post #1537 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarangiman View Post

I don't understand this comment from the review. If some details are more visible in shadows on the Sony vs. the JVC, that seems to me to be a gamma problem, & I'm surprised they weren't able to fix this with a different gamma setting on the JVC. Perhaps a calibration is in order?

I was curious about this as well. i'm in the middle of calibrating an HW50, so i'll have to check out this scene in TDKR between the HW50 and the RS55 when I'm done.

post #1538 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I was curious about this as well. i'm in the middle of calibrating an HW50, so i'll have to check out this scene in TDKR between the HW50 and the RS55 when I'm done.

+2

Oh wait.....you were 2 biggrin.gif Yah please. That was kind of disconcerting with the invisible to JVC buildings.
post #1539 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Having said that, it's good to know that the HW50 is in the ballpark of the X55/X35 however I wonder how much better the HW50 would have looked had the test performed been done with the DI. Those guys on AVforums really don't like DIs.

zombie,
Does The Amazing Spider-man look good in 3D on the Sony/Epson? On my RS45 it looks so dim for me that I have to watch it in 2D. It was noted that this movie is dark to begin with but I am wondering if for now this movie just isn't worth considering in 3D.

I think this was an independent test, i don't think all the forum members there are anti DI. They will have to let us know for sure, but I doubt they intentionally turned off the DI or it would have been mentioned. Without the iris, we're looking at 5500-6500:1 native vs. the JVC. This could be close enough if the room isn't treated. I'm curious to hear what SOWK thinks about the HW50 vs. 4810 in his black pit. I am currently blacking out my room in preparation for the new JVC's.

I watched Spiderman 3D 3 times on the JVC, Sony and Epson. I enjoyed it the most on the JVC because the dark scenes looked amazing. Very good on the Sony and good on the Epson. The Epson is brighter than the HW50 so I have to be fair when I say that the black floor is more noticeable on the Epson in dark scenes. I'll have to tame down the Epson's lumens to have a better comparison. On the dark scenes, the image on the 5020 doesn't seem as dynamic as the HW50 or the RS55, it's a bit flat in comparison.

I've been running my RS55 lamp @ high altitude mode since it was new and the brightness is still excellent on the 2.8HP. I keep it @ -11 most of the time in 2D mode.

'ParaNorman 3D' also had a lot of dark 3D scenes that might become one of my new benchmarks for testing.

post #1540 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Zombie, I'd like to hear your thoughts of getting a JVC RS55 instead of a RS4810 (similar prices for both) for us 2D only people. 3D is just a bonus for me and I don't care for it. Based on the numbers, the RS55 should have the deeper blacks and better contrast ratio, which is most important to me. I would take e-shift1 over 2 knowing that I will be getting deeper blacks. ( I love horror movies) I know you can't answer this question yet...but I'm looking forward to you answering it smile.gif
post #1541 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Here's AVForums review of the Epson 5020. They gave it a "best buy". This should be a good year for those getting into projectors and want a good 2D and 3D image at a reasonable price. Not perfect, but a lot better than we could get at three times the price only a few years ago! The new Sony and Epson look particularly enticing to me. The TW8100 is the European version of the 5020.

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=421

2D

"We used recent Blu-rays of The Amazing Spider-Man and Prometheus to test both the 2D performance of the TW8100 and overall the images were very good. There was the occasional artefact with motion, especially in the fast moving scenes of Spidey swinging between buildings but generally the TW8100 delivered a nicely rendered image with plenty of detail. The accurate picture really paid dividends with the bright primary colours in Spider-Man and the good black levels, shadow detail and dynamic range really helped to replicate the darkened corridors of the alien ship in Prometheus. We found the images produced by the TW8100 to be so appealing in fact that at times we had to remind ourselves that the projector can be picked up for less than £2,300. If you're not interested in 3D then it really is an attractive proposition for anyone looking to enjoy big screen action at home."

3D

"Of course if you don't use the 3D capabilities of the TW8100 that would be a shame because it really is a great performer when it comes to the third dimension. Whilst the TW8100 may not come with any glasses, it's definitely worth investing in a few pairs to take advantage of some really immersive and artefact free 3D. The TW8100 obviously starts with the advantage of being a very bright projector but the 480Hz panels also allow the glasses to stay open that little bit longer, resulting in even more light entering the lens, without adding any visible crosstalk. As a result the 3D images on the TW8100 were extremely bright but also largely free of any crosstalk, even when projected onto a large screen. As a result of this large, bright and largely crosstalk free image, the 3D pictures produced by the TW8100 were excellent, providing a genuinely immersive and exciting experience.

We watched quite a few 3D Blu-rays, including Prometheus, Spider-Man and Brave, and they all looked superb with nicely rendered detail and good motion handling. Thanks to the brightness, the 3D images managed to retain a degree of depth that wasn't diminished by the dimming nature of the glasses. It really made us aware of how much impact a bright 3D image can have and when combined with a large screen, just how immersive the effect can be."

"Overall the 3D performance of the TW8100 was excellent and at least as good as the Panasonic and Sony projectors that we have recently reviewed."
post #1542 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Zombie, I'd like to hear your thoughts of getting a JVC RS55 instead of a RS4810 (similar prices for both) for us 2D only people. 3D is just a bonus for me and I don't care for it. Based on the numbers, the RS55 should have the deeper blacks and better contrast ratio, which is most important to me. I would take e-shift1 over 2 knowing that I will be getting deeper blacks. ( I love horror movies) I know you can't answer this question yet...but I'm looking forward to you answering it smile.gif

My 55's lamp is still performing well so it should be a good comparison to the RS4810. There is some chance I may get to see all 3 models (46, 4810, 56..). How's that for a 4 way JVC shootout... cool.gif

post #1543 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Toe. Hi.
The price level of these machines is inherent with compromises meaning one machine will likely have flaws that will make a critical viewer feel less than fully satisfied. I will spare all the appropriate sexual analogies. You can have it all To me, I could live with someghosting because I have deprogrammed myself for obsessively looking forit. besides I don't watch very much 3d anymore there not being a large amount of content that i want to watch hitting the market.
toe I have no wallet in this fight. I can unequivicolly stae that e shift 2 will make a substantial improvement in PQ at the viewing distances ad scren sizes that almost all use here.
Those that insist its only relevant to viewing distances that only the eagled eyed could see pixel structure, all I suspect blissfully unaware of the other PQ improvements in brings to the screen.

Mark... I forget what you told me a few months back on the phone but did you say you were able to view the RS56/X75 at Cedia (and if so youre impressions over the X55)?

BTW - check your emails once in a while! wink.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #1544 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

folks considering the 5020 should also look for blowout prices on the 5010 if the RF glasses aren't of interest. There aren't a ton of noticeable changes here from the 5010 -> 5020. Several owners have confirmed not seeing noticeable changes in 3D with the DI on, so if this is firmware related, it will have to be looked into.

The big upgrades would have been the FI and Super Resolution in 3D to compete with the HW50.(next year's update?) To the Epson's credit, it is ~300 lumens brighter in 3D which is definitely welcome on any screen.

Those deciding between the HW50 and the 5020 will have to decide if the Reality Creation & FI in 3D and better overall white field and grey field uniformity is worth the $$ difference. Last year, it seems the 5010 was more popular than the HW30. I can see that turning around this year in favor of the Sony. The Epson is a great bang for the buck with the included RF glasses (my favorite of the factory glasses so far), so price might prevail here.

post #1545 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I rebuilt my HTPC the other night and installed Power DVD12 and TMT5. PDVD 12 can finally change the refresh from 60hz to 24hz for BD's, but if the Nvidia is enabled in 3D, it automatically puts the projector in 3D mode.. even if it's a 2D movie. I have to disable the Nvidia 3D and then it will switch fine between 60hz and 24hz. Now I remember why I abandoned this machine for the cheap Mica EP 950.. cool.gif

I hooked up the Nvidia 3D vision and ran through some of the 3D demo's. I have to find some good PC games in 3D.

HTPC-8.jpg

HTPC-9.jpg

I found a 3D movie I haven't seen in a year, Monster vs. Aliens. This is a must have 3D disk, the 3D is excellent in this movie. They really take advantage of the effects at every chance. Not quite like Sammy's with the popouts, but overall one of my favorite 3D movies.

It also has some of the toughest crosstalk scenes.

HTPC-4.jpg

HTPC-5.jpg

HTPC-6.jpg

HTPC-7.jpg

post #1546 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Sounds good Mark. I dont doubt that the picture would improve to some degree for 2d. I wish you would not have spared the sexual analogies though since we could always use more entertainment around here. biggrin.gif
Everyone has different priorities. My biggest priority right now as I mentioned is TRULY ghost/flicker free 3d for both blu ray and 120hz and the JVC simply wont be at this level. Considering I am already VERY happy with my 2d (even if it is not as good as the new models which I certainly dont doubt), going for better 3d (and improved lag) with a 2nd projector seems like the wisest investment this year for me. As far as ghosting/flicker goes, I seem to be more sensitive than most and it is not that I am actively looking for it, but rather it seems to find me. frown.gif I cant not see it at this point and it drives me nuts......so much so that as I have mentioned, I have quit watching 3d on my JVC (last movie I watched in 3d was Underworld 4 whenever that came out this year). Its not just the ghosting either, but the flicker which is almost as annoying as crosstalk for me at this point. I simply cant live with the ghosting/flicker on the JVC and the new models are not going to be near enough to change my mind from the early reports so far (there is no reason to think flicker has been improved at all).
Another thing to consider is I am using a HP screen which amplifies issues like ghosting and flicker. From my experience, the brighter the image, the more noticeable both ghosting and flicker becomes which is also a reason I am probably a bit more sensitive to these issues vs someone with a 1.0 screen.
Its all good and again we all just have different priorities. Chances are I will buy the latest and greatest JVC next year (and from AVS of course smile.gif ) which will be even better than the new models now which is something nice to look forward to. cool.gif Not like I am exactly going to be roughing it until then with a 45/7000/Darbee combo. biggrin.gif
That sounds like a great option to have with the 7000! I tried 2d to 3d on my JVC very briefly, but the ghosting killed it. I will have to check when I get home to see if my 93 has 2d to 3d conversion, but I am pretty sure it does not unfortunately.

IMO and knowing your situation it's a struggle for you but either way I think you'd come out a winner on this. smile.gif

That being said it sounds like you could be talking yourself out of the JVC before there's really even a consensus of improvements or lack thereof (especially given that fact that you're feeling the pressure knowing you have to commit very soon and the timings of trying to coordinate your sale before the fire sale begins on the dock of "the bay" wink.gif).

After reading the initial impressions from our mates across the waters I took away a few things (all IMO of course)...

First and foremost the 2D picture quality for the JVC is still top dog (in terms of a very filmic look and accurate colors). That is my #1 priority even though I love 3D on my RS55 (when I can ignore the dark ghosting... BTW, MIB3 was great!).

3D seemed to be a fairly noticable improvement (I'm not sure how you came away with it being the same or worse based on Jagdeepp's review ("3d was very impressive on both PJ's. The Sony wins here though simply because it's brighter and punchier. The JVC seems to have improved over earlier models. It's much better"). That in of itself has me hopeful for Jason's review.

The JVC seemed to be at a slight disadvantage the way it was set-up using max zoom and an open iris (the Sony's DI may be more forgiving in this regard but I have a really difficult time believing the Sony could top the JVC in ANSI contrast or black level given the correct set-up so as to take advantage of JVC's true black floor ability given its native contrast ability). I did not A/B the Sony HW50 against a JVC but when I got home after previewing the same titles at my local dealer I thought my RS55 was much better especially in terms of pure shadow detail and depth (and that was from The Dark Knight IMAX scenes!). I have a hard time thinking the new models could be worse than this years models (I guess only time will tell but I remain skeptical even though I realize I have the extra iris on the RS55). Could it be between the max zoom in combination of a quick calibration that the JVC's normally finicky GS & gamma was not where it should have been (IMO you can easily crush black on these units if not careful)?

The big question (for me) which remains unanswered is the larger than Rec709 gamut. If that can be verified as "doable" then so far am I still cautiously optimistic the "upgrade" will be worth the coin.

I think it may have been Kelvin (NO... not Kevin! biggrin.gif), who hit the nail on the head for me... I still rely on (and LOVE) the power zoom and memory settings and don't think for my theater I could consider a PJ without that feature at this point... it's just too darn valuable/flexible.

Like I said Todd... either road you choose to travel will likely get you where you wanna go! (I could not handle the look of two PJ's in my setup; even if just from an ascetics perspective!)

Kevin

post #1547 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

My 55's lamp is still performing well so it should be a good comparison to the RS4810. There is some chance I may get to see all 3 models (46, 4810, 56..). How's that for a 4 way JVC shootout... cool.gif

That "wood" give me a four way TS Woody! tongue.gif

BTW... your Medusa pics KICK-ASS (holy crap that looks good!)!! eek.gif And MvsA is still one of my favs in the collection ( a LOT of intentional & unintentional ghosts in there!) ... whadda think of MIB3??

Kevin

post #1548 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I promised a review of the 3D-Bee. I posted a few thoughts over in the 3D-Bee users thread. There's lots of good (watched the Redskins/Giants game with it tonight and it's freaky good) and some great (watched the Blu-ray of "Over America in HD" and it's frikkin awesome with that title). Of course, with some kinds of material it can fail a lot. Overall, I'm a fan. It's not going to convert those who don't like conversion (pun intended biggrin.gif), but I think many people will like it. I ran some 2D versions of 3D video I've shot through it, and I actually prefer the Bee conversion for certain kinds of shots over the native 3D. eek.gif I explain why in the Bee thread, so don't judge that statement unless you read my explanation as to why I feel that way. biggrin.gif

Monsters vs. Aliens is also one of my favorite 3D films. It's great for exposing ghosting in all its ugly forms, and it's a title adults and kids can enjoy.

Joe Clark

post #1549 of 9147 Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Hey Kevin, I think we all have different priorities. I can certainly understand your perspective and I am pulling for all you guys who will be beta testing.............uh.......I mean enjoying JVCs 3d for a 3rd year in a row. biggrin.gif In all seriousness though, I would much rather wait for reports before making my final decision, but we dont have that luxury this year since we have to commit one way or the other. Going the 2 projector route in my setup is not a big deal at all besides dealing with a manual lens and my LFE output which should be interesting. rolleyes.gif My main motivation for upgrading to whatever I upgrade to is good 3d since I dont have that right now and I am already thrilled with my 2d even if it wont be quite as good as the new units. Unlike you, I am not at all happy with the JVC 3d and the feel I get from this UK shootout along with some of the comments in the owners thread over there about still seeing ghosting in Despicable Me, the JVC still showing more ghosting vs the Sony, etc...... leads me to believe that whatever improvements have been made wont be enough to make me happy and in order to get what I want, a 2 projector route is the only option right now. I am tired of playing JVC 3d beta tester to be honest and I am ready for some truly ghost/flicker free 3d with a little CMD thrown in for good measure if I so choose. cool.gif I am also looking forward to NO WARM UP TIME and not worrying about lamp hours making the ghosting worse..........what a PITA all that is!

So since I have to bow out before getting more/better info, I am now rooting for you and the other JVC preorder guys and I will be back in the band next year if you will still have me. biggrin.gif Even though I am out of the running at this point, I am still very curious to see how they turn out for 3d in particular and I would love nothing more than to see some real improvement which would at least be a step in the right direction. Maybe next year we will then get some progress on the flicker issue and FI in 3d as well..............I will be sure to report back and let you know how FI in 3d is once I get the 7000 setup which will give you something to look forward to next year........IF JVC actually adds this finally. biggrin.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1550 of 9147 Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Hey Kevin, I think we all have different priorities. I can certainly understand your perspective and I am pulling for all you guys who will be beta testing.............uh.......I mean enjoying JVCs 3d for a 3rd year in a row. biggrin.gif In all seriousness though, I would much rather wait for reports before making my final decision, but we dont have that luxury this year since we have to commit one way or the other. Going the 2 projector route in my setup is not a big deal at all besides dealing with a manual lens and my LFE output which should be interesting. rolleyes.gif My main motivation for upgrading to whatever I upgrade to is good 3d since I dont have that right now and I am already thrilled with my 2d even if it wont be quite as good as the new units. Unlike you, I am not at all happy with the JVC 3d and the feel I get from this UK shootout along with some of the comments in the owners thread over there about still seeing ghosting in Despicable Me, the JVC still showing more ghosting vs the Sony, etc...... leads me to believe that whatever improvements have been made wont be enough to make me happy and in order to get what I want, a 2 projector route is the only option right now. I am tired of playing JVC 3d beta tester to be honest and I am ready for some truly ghost/flicker free 3d with a little CMD thrown in for good measure if I so choose. cool.gif I am also looking forward to NO WARM UP TIME and not worrying about lamp hours making the ghosting worse..........what a PITA all that is!
So since I have to bow out before getting more/better info, I am now rooting for you and the other JVC preorder guys and I will be back in the band next year if you will still have me. biggrin.gif Even though I am out of the running at this point, I am still very curious to see how they turn out for 3d in particular and I would love nothing more than to see some real improvement which would at least be a step in the right direction. Maybe next year we will then get some progress on the flicker issue and FI in 3d as well..............I will be sure to report back and let you know how FI in 3d is once I get the 7000 setup which will give you something to look forward to next year........IF JVC actually adds this finally. biggrin.gif

You are a bastarde for breaking up the band of course doing what you feel is best for you and if I had the option of a two PJ setup I might consider joining your new band! tongue.gif

Keep in touch my bruthah and let me know how you like Sammy's Adv. on the new 7K! smile.gif

Kevin

post #1551 of 9147 Old 12-04-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The word band is the wrong to use to describe a group of men. Remember the phrase Boys in the band? besides you don't want your JVC to show any banding including the dreaded earlier red stripe banding etc on one edge. Let's call it the CLUB.

Mark Haflich

post #1552 of 9147 Old 12-04-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

You are a bastarde for breaking up the band of course doing what you feel is best for you and if I had the option of a two PJ setup I might consider joining your new band! tongue.gif
Keep in touch my bruthah and let me know how you like Sammy's Adv. on the new 7K! smile.gif

I haven't even got the chance to watch Sammy's Adventure on the W7000, but gonna watch it tonight before I watch Sammy Part 2 later. Hopefully its just as good as the first one
post #1553 of 9147 Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kraine has good info on the 6020, similar findings in calibration compared to the 5020. The Natural and Cinema mode both need help to correct the runaway gamma settings. The first is a downward slope, the other is wavy. It can be correct with a calibration. For comparison, the HW50 gamma is flat @ 2.2 out of the box, they did a very good job programming the Sony.

The moral of the story is, all projectors should be calibrated, some need it more than others out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I haven't even got the chance to watch Sammy's Adventure on the W7000, but gonna watch it tonight before I watch Sammy Part 2 later. Hopefully its just as good as the first one

I can't wait to see this.. it should look killer on the W7000. I hope the pop-outs are as outrageous as they were in the first.

post #1554 of 9147 Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I'm still waiting for the HW50 so I can finally test it with Sammys Adventure 2. I hope it has as much pop as the original. I may test it with the Epson, just to see how it looks. Jason, do you have Sammys 2 yet?
post #1555 of 9147 Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Hey man, at least I showed up for practice even if I am not going to make the tour. tongue.gif I think technically Sammy boy broke up the band this year, but he has a free pass so I take full responsibility. Just a little solo tour for me this year and nothing to worry about in the long run. Next year will be the reunion tour though with the boys back in full force. cool.gif We can still play some side gigs between now and then though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

The word band is the wrong to use to describe a group of men. Remember the phrase Boys in the band? besides you don't want your JVC to show any banding including the dreaded earlier red stripe banding etc on one edge. Let's call it the CLUB.

These are all very good points! tongue.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1556 of 9147 Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

I'm still waiting for the HW50 so I can finally test it with Sammys Adventure 2. I hope it has as much pop as the original. I may test it with the Epson, just to see how it looks. Jason, do you have Sammys 2 yet?

yes.. smile.gif I'm in the middle of calibrating another HW50 today, I'll check it out later tonight.

This is the 2nd HW50 i've seen and the noise from the IR transmitter is noticeably less than it was on the original HW50 I saw a few weeks ago. You can still hear it, but it's definitely quieter. Curious to see what your's is like when it arrives.

post #1557 of 9147 Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Supposedly, they delayed all shipments to Canada because of the buzzing. Should get it this week, but I'll be pretty pissed if they still have buzzing. LOL
post #1558 of 9147 Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 AM

Liked: 16
Slightly off topic, but where are you guys purchasing your copy of 3D Sammys? I only seem to see the 2D versions around.

post #1559 of 9147 Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You have to get the 3D version free version from Hong Kong. It is around $36 shipped. The version from the UK is not region free.
post #1560 of 9147 Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Supposedly, they delayed all shipments to Canada because of the buzzing. Should get it this week, but I'll be pretty pissed if they still have buzzing. LOL

Are you going to have the Epson at the same time for comparison? The 5010 and 5020 are very similar overall, so you should get a good idea of how the HW50 compares to the new model.

I didn't notice the serial # on the first one I had, but the 2nd is definitely quieter.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page