Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 343 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #10261 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 624
some addition info on the LG PF1500 1080P pico LED projector

http://translate.google.com/translat...-726&sandbox=1

it looks like Cine4home has seen a pre-production model, I'd like to hear what he thinks about it.

It has some interesting wireless features built in like Miracast which I use all the time with my Android and Win 8.1 Surface to broadcast photos and video to my TV's / Projectors. It also claims 3D support, 2D -> 3D + CFI.

this is a good shot showing the size:

I thought that was a TV next to it, it's an Epson 5030! wow this is pretty small.

Last edited by zombie10k; 01-24-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10262 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
good deal, I think I have it! I created a fresh 3D BD ISO from the L/R patterns. I found a few others I might include.

this is going to strike fear into any projector that isn't a DLP..
Cool.

One reason I like my "full" torture test disc is that it's revealing of nearly invisible ghosting that's sometimes masked by patterns. It has a couple of shots with one eye completely black, and a high contrast image in the other. If you close one eye, it's shockingly easy to see ghosting caused by the display and/or glasses. In a totally black field, there's simply no place for a ghost to hide. It's not a "fair" test of a 3D display, because you'd never see anything like it in a commercial 3D disc. It's completely unforgiving and perfect for illustrating what DLP can do (and what other technologies can't). The 3D iso is only 264 MB.

Joe Clark

post #10263 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Joseph - quick question. Can vegas output in full frame packed? I see the SBS (half and full) and also the line alternate, blend and difference. Which one did you create the original ISO?

I was playing around with it last night and line alternate looked good but I thought I read it was missing resolution, either horizontal or vertical?

I'm going to roll the L/R for 3+ mins so they don't have to pause for the tests.
post #10264 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Joseph - quick question. Can vegas output in full frame packed? I see the SBS (half and full) and also the line alternate, blend and difference. Which one did you create the original ISO?

I was playing around with it last night and line alternate looked good but I thought I read it was missing resolution, either horizontal or vertical?

I'm going to roll the L/R for 3+ mins so they don't have to pause for the tests.
Yes, you can output as full frame packed. It's under "Tools" in the Vegas menu. Not home right now. More details later.
post #10265 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
Yes, you can output as full frame packed. It's under "Tools" in the Vegas menu. Not home right now. More details later.
great, thanks for your help. playing around with 3D in Vegas is going to be dangerous to my wallet. I am immediately envisioning strapping this to my DJI F450:

post #10266 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

it looks like Cine4home has seen a pre-production model, I'd like to hear what he thinks about it.

It has some interesting wireless features built in like Miracast which I use all the time with my Android and Win 8.1 Surface to broadcast photos and video to my TV's / Projectors. It also claims 3D support, 2D -> 3D + CFI.

I thought that was a TV next to it, it's an Epson 5030! wow this is pretty small.

Saw this projector at CES (there's a thread for it in the <3000 forum where I posted my pics of it in action). It's $999, rather nice and would make a fine "helper" projector for when you don't want to use up you bulb on your main projector.

Robert Clark
post #10267 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:

If this thing is any good it could ruin sales for all other projector manufacturers. What do you bet it comes in at around 600 calibrated lumens -- not saying that wouldn't be pretty damn good but it won't cut it for 3D. If it's 800 to 900 calibrated lumens then there should be some other projectors out there shaking in their boots.
post #10268 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a post I posted over on the LS10000 thread that may help explain why the LS10000 costs what it does:

According to Ideal AV (dealer) on the AVForum the LS10000 is like the JVC X900 -- only hand selected premium parts go into the LS10000. JVC justifies the extra cost of the X900 for this very reason. If true then I can understand why the LS10000 costs so much more than the X500 just as the X900 does. If you want premium you have to pay for it. Most here won't be interested in this projector because we're looking for a bargain and bargain and premium for the most part are self-exclusive. Here's the quote:

"These units are not going to be mass produced as far as I`m told so only a small no. of dealers have been designated to show them, each one is hand built choosing premium parts as I understand, if it makes a difference we won`t know as they won`t build one using non premium parts to compare [emphasis added]." (What a great example of a run-on sentence. )

See post 274.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/eps...903266/page-10
post #10269 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post
Saw this projector at CES (there's a thread for it in the <3000 forum where I posted my pics of it in action). It's $999, rather nice and would make a fine "helper" projector for when you don't want to use up you bulb on your main projector.
Robert, I saw your post with photos from CES, thanks for sharing them in that thread. Do you have a general opinion of it's brightness when you saw it in person?

DV- the current pico 1080P LG's are claiming 1000 but seem to end up in the 600 range from what i've read. If this newer panel tech TI released allows for greater brightness, hopefully it shows up in this model. They claim 1400 so 800+ would be a blast in something so small.

I have my QUMI on a tripod and use a makeshift screen to watch TV at night before I crash. I have a thing for small LED projectors, there is no doubt I'm getting this as soon as it's released to check it out.
post #10270 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Robert, I saw your post with photos from CES, thanks for sharing them in that thread. Do you have a general opinion of it's brightness when you saw it in person?

DV- the current pico 1080P LG's are claiming 1000 but seem to end up in the 600 range from what i've read. If this newer panel tech TI released allows for greater brightness, hopefully it shows up in this model. They claim 1400 so 800+ would be a blast in something so small.

I have my QUMI on a tripod and use a makeshift screen to watch TV at night before I crash. I have a thing for small LED projectors, there is no doubt I'm getting this as soon as it's released to check it out.
I own an LG PA70 I use for my helper projector (my main is a 5030). I also share a fascination with small LED projectors (and headsets like the Sony HMZ T3). Hard to tell from their room which was dimly lit but it is surely brighter than my PA70. They were throwing about a 120" image onto a painted wall and it looked plenty bright for a dark room.
Here's a few more bad pics to give an idea of brightness...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150106_155358_HDR.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	499338   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150106_155422_HDR (1).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	499346   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150106_155359_HDR.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	499354  

Robert Clark
post #10271 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Zombie -- just saw your link. 1400 lumens coming in at 1000 calibrated lumens would be pretty spectacular. The 3D on this thing could be pretty amazing especially with a 2.8 gain HP screen.

The whole idea is to get our hopes up about this projector and then have the reviewers dash them in four or five months.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 01-24-2015 at 08:14 AM.
post #10272 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
DJ - i've seen the same, moving these 'universal' glasses from 1 machine to another. There's definitely some timing differences which can affect the results.

unless it's the Sharp 30K, then the x-talk is just perfect regardless of what glasses i'm using.

Z10K

Ahh, you just say that, because I didnt get that one on e-bay

( and have to admit,I would probely not have payed over 2000 dollars for it used + shiping anyway - just to test / and see 3D at it best , because Im still not convict, that I will be sweept away or can live with the glasses on my head for 2- 4 hours )

dj
post #10273 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
great, thanks for your help. playing around with 3D in Vegas is going to be dangerous to my wallet. I am immediately envisioning strapping this to my DJI F450:

Yeah, that's the biggest remaining obstacle to my being very happy with the long form video I'm working on. I'm using temporary Google Earth stills as section intro shots, but what I really want is to replace them with original drone footage. I'm thinking about using conversion software on mono GoPro drone shots, since the 3D effect with a GoPro dual camera rig like the one you show might not be good enough. In my experience, conversion software works best with aerial shots. Getting good 3D separation at that height can be tough. The interaxial distance usually isn't quite good enough. The lenses need to be a bit further apart.

If you take the 3D plunge, Vegas is really all you'll need with the GoPro rig. I might end up seeing a lot more of you, over in AVS's 3D section (3D Central>3D Source Components). That's where AVS 3D shooters and editors post.

Joe Clark

post #10274 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here's a little more detail that may help, if you haven't gotten this far yet:

In the "File>Properties..." dialog of Vegas you set the stereoscopic mode of the project, but the SBS, line alternate, etc., designations only determine how you view it while you're editing. You set the output of the project as standard Blu-ray 3D under "Tools>Burn Disc>Blu-ray Disc..." In that dialog, you set it to burn an iso file as "Sony AVC/MVC-MVC 1920x1080-24p, 25 Mbps video stream." That gives you the highest quality FullHD, frame packed 3D quality.

Joe Clark

post #10275 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is exactly what I needed to know,thanks very much! I took the original 3840x1080 L/R PNG and cut it into 2 different 1920x1080 PNG files. On the timeline - L on top, R on the bottom, highlighted both and used the 'pair as Stereoscopic 3D subclip', then burned the BD ISO. It looks great...(on a DLP... )

it's very cool this program can handle full frame packed 1080P 3D. I believe we talked about this a while back, is there a way to create a 3D demo disk using various clips? It won't import the full ISO nor the MKV file I typically make which has the full MVC 3D stream.
post #10276 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
Yeah, that's the biggest remaining obstacle to my being very happy with the long form video I'm working on. I'm using temporary Google Earth stills as section intro shots, but what I really want is to replace them with original drone footage. I'm thinking about using conversion software on mono GoPro drone shots, since the 3D effect with a GoPro dual camera rig like the one you show might not be good enough. In my experience, conversion software works best with aerial shots. Getting good 3D separation at that height can be tough. The interaxial distance usually isn't quite good enough. The lenses need to be a bit further apart.

If you take the 3D plunge, Vegas is really all you'll need with the GoPro rig. I might end up seeing a lot more of you, over in AVS's 3D section (3D Central>3D Source Components). That's where AVS 3D shooters and editors post.
Joe, I've been really surprised at the 3D depth from the Gopro Dual. I bought it with very low expectations and fully expected to have to do a lot of stereoscopic adjustment with Edius. The IA of the Dual is the same as our JVC-TD1s. Due to the wider FOV- by the way, I always use medium FOV setting and not widest- there is less compression of the image planes and hence, MUCH BETTER depth then we get from our TD1s. And when I say much better, I'm not kidding. In fact, I think the depth is better then the TD1 using the Cyclopital Stereo Base Extender. I also bought some inexpensive software from Prodad called DeFishr which very nicely corrects any barrel distortion, though in the medium FOV mode, it's not bad anyway.

My- mostly 3D- YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tarnway/videos?view=0

Barry C

Last edited by Barry C; 01-25-2015 at 03:38 PM.
post #10277 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
Joe, I've been really surprised at the 3D depth from the Gopro Dual. I bought it with very low expectations and fully expected to have to do a lot of stereoscopic adjustment with Edius. The IA of the Dual is the same as our JVC-TD1s. Due to the wider FOV- by the way, I always use medium FOV setting and not wide- there is less compression of the image planes and hence, MUCH BETTER depth then we get from our TD1s. And when I say much better, I'm not kidding. In fact, I think the depth is better then the TD1 using the Cyclopital Stereo Base Extender. I also bought some inexpensive software from Prodad called DeFishr which very nicely corrects any barrel distortion, though in the medium FOV mode, it's not bad anyway.
Thanks, Barry. That's good information, and from someone who uses dual GoPro's. Now I want to fly such a rig over the Missouri Botanical Garden to see what kind of footage I could get.

Joe Clark

post #10278 of 11372 Old 01-24-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That is exactly what I needed to know,thanks very much! I took the original 3840x1080 L/R PNG and cut it into 2 different 1920x1080 PNG files. On the timeline - L on top, R on the bottom, highlighted both and used the 'pair as Stereoscopic 3D subclip', then burned the BD ISO. It looks great...(on a DLP... )

it's very cool this program can handle full frame packed 1080P 3D. I believe we talked about this a while back, is there a way to create a 3D demo disk using various clips? It won't import the full ISO nor the MKV file I typically make which has the full MVC 3D stream.
It's possible to split MVC video into left/right pairs (accessible via the "SSIF" folder, which is in the "Stream" folder of the Blu-ray 3D disc) with MVC to AVI. You can then pair L/R in Vegas as you just did. The problem is the audio. Remuxing HD audio isn't something I've done - just stereo. As demo material, you're missing a lot without HD surround. Someone has probably done it, but I haven't. I haven't used MVC to AVI on commercial discs (but it can be done). A few years back, it was the only program I had that would split the MVC files from my JVC camcorder, and thus the only way I had to edit 3D in Vegas. When Edius 6.5 was released, it allowed me to edit my JVC 3D files natively. I've used it as my main non-linear editor ever since. I only use Vegas to finish the Blu-ray 3D disc. Edius won't do that. With GoPro files, you won't have that problem.

Joe Clark

post #10279 of 11372 Old 01-25-2015, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
Joe, I've been really surprised at the 3D depth from the Gopro Dual. I bought it with very low expectations and fully expected to have to do a lot of stereoscopic adjustment with Edius. The IA of the Dual is the same as our JVC-TD1s. Due to the wider FOV- by the way, I always use medium FOV setting and not wide- there is less compression of the image planes and hence, MUCH BETTER depth then we get from our TD1s. And when I say much better, I'm not kidding. In fact, I think the depth is better then the TD1 using the Cyclopital Stereo Base Extender. I also bought some inexpensive software from Prodad called DeFishr which very nicely corrects any barrel distortion, though in the medium FOV mode, it's not bad anyway.
Barry, I watched this last night on my Sharp 30K 3D DLP and it looked amazing! this was better than many of the commercial underwater 3D BD's i've seen. It really feels like i'm there, just remarkable. The Moray Eels is something from a horror movie.. scary looking

Can you please tell me about the setup? was this the GoPro dual with the Hero 3+? is there any chance you have this in full frame packed vs SBS? the SBS was some of the best i've seen and would like to see the full capabilities of that footage.
post #10280 of 11372 Old 01-25-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I told Barry the same thing, Jason, when I saw this video. It's better than a lot of commercially available 3D underwater videos. This was shot with a JVC TD1, not the GoPro rig. Barry and I are big fans of this little camcorder. I'm sure Barry will chime in with more details.

Joe Clark

post #10281 of 11372 Old 01-25-2015, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks for the info, very impressive! I'd like to see some of the footage from dual gopro setup since it should be capable of full frame packed. I missed a bit of the resolution on the large 142" using SBS.

have you considered using the quad's for some of your footage? I've been using a GoPro 4 recording in 4K for some amazing aerial footage lately. it looks great in native res on the VW1100.

I just set up an FPV camera with wireless to the goggles you see in the photo. what's cool is that it can handle SBS 3D and there is an FPV camera that transmits the 3D in real time to the glasses.

I'm going to give this a try soon.

post #10282 of 11372 Old 01-25-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

All standard Blu-ray 3D players support 1080p/24 and 720p/60 (frame packed). If you shoot at a different resolution and/or frame rate, software has to convert it for playback in one of those players. From what I've read, the UHD Blu-ray spec will support 1080p 3D, but not 4K 3D. I don't know if that's set in stone. I also don't know what software players might be able to do with UHD 3D from a PC at different resolutions/frame rates, or which displays could handle them. Using dual GoPro's, you'd probably need to shoot in 1080/24p for maximum compatibility with the existing Blu-ray 3D standard. Barry may have more info on that.

Joe Clark

post #10283 of 11372 Old 01-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Barry, I watched this last night on my Sharp 30K 3D DLP and it looked amazing! this was better than many of the commercial underwater 3D BD's i've seen. It really feels like i'm there, just remarkable. The Moray Eels is something from a horror movie.. scary looking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vxky54eeq8

Can you please tell me about the setup? was this the GoPro dual with the Hero 3+? is there any chance you have this in full frame packed vs SBS? the SBS was some of the best i've seen and would like to see the full capabilities of that footage.
Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated. As Joe already mentioned, this piece was shot entirely with the JVC-TD1 in a housing from Equinox Housings. I used a red filter, also from Equinox. Without the filter, after about 15' you loose all your reds. All filters are not created equal and I think Equinox makes some of the best.

I edited this entirely in Power Director and the original renders are saved in MVC at 1080i and 720 60p. When I upload to Youtube in SBS half frame, I believe in using bitrates of at least 25mbps. I've been having this discussion with Don Landis over on the 3D source component thead just yesterday who uses bit rates at 8-10mbps. Don, does some real nice work, but my preference is for the highest bitrate I can get away with.

I just got my Gopro Dual setup a few months ago and hoped to use it this Winter for some helmet cam ski sequences. I've only got a few clips so far since we've been in a terrible drought and the skiing hasn't been too swift. Still hoping for February or March. When I first bought it, I had very low expectations regarding its 3D abilities. Boy was I surprised!!! So surprised in fact that I bought 2 more +3 Blacks and another Dual housing. I've made plans for an 8 day dive trip in the Bahamas this summer where my goal is to get lots more shipwreck content and sharks. I really want to put together a good 3D shark video. I've mounted both Gopro Duals on the JVC-TD1 housing- my avatar picture- and plan to use one in 2.7K 30fps. medium FOV Protunes mode, and the other at 1080 24p medium or narrow FOV also in Protunes mode which has a bitrate of 45mbps. The JVC when underwater- which narrows LENS FOV- is probably the 35mm equivalent of over 50 mm so it will be real nice to be able to have the almost unlimited FOV and frame rate versatility that this setup should provide.

Going forward, most of my editing will be with Edius ( thanks Joe for that encouragement) with some sequences done with Cyberlink Color Director/ Power Director in combination.

My- mostly 3D- YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tarnway/videos?view=0

Barry C

Last edited by Barry C; 03-01-2015 at 10:14 PM.
post #10284 of 11372 Old 01-25-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
If this thing is any good it could ruin sales for all other projector manufacturers. What do you bet it comes in at around 600 calibrated lumens -- not saying that wouldn't be pretty damn good but it won't cut it for 3D. If it's 800 to 900 calibrated lumens then there should be some other projectors out there shaking in their boots.
My guess is that is wishful thinking. I doubt the lens quality is very good. Once reviews are available, we will know for sure.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #10285 of 11372 Old 01-25-2015, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
My guess is that is wishful thinking. I doubt the lens quality is very good. Once reviews are available, we will know for sure.
My comments were made in jest. All of these little projectors look good on paper and inevitably end up being a bit of a disappointment -- at least for HT use.
post #10286 of 11372 Old 01-26-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 195
If the image is decent I will be interested in the LG as a helper projector, for my JVC. I love the idea of not worrying about my bulb hrs as much. Leave the JVC for Blu Ray and critical viewing.

James Reid:D
post #10287 of 11372 Old 01-26-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
My comments were made in jest. All of these little projectors look good on paper and inevitably end up being a bit of a disappointment -- at least for HT use.
Got it.
Personally, I am not expecting much, either. There is only so much you can do at the $999 price point.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #10288 of 11372 Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

If 3D isn't your thing then skip this post.

O.K. here goes -- this is why the L/R 3D test pattern for ghosting is so important. If you read Kraine's review posted immediately below you'll note the L/R ghosting results he obtained and refers to in the 3D portion of his review of the JVC X700. His subjective evaluation more or less matches to the objective results he obtained. There's really no B.S. in his review when it comes to 3D.

http://translate.google.ca/translate...0%2F&sandbox=1

Here's a a summary of the review:

"We liked:

The highest native contrast enhanced by the use of dynamic iris
Brightness in progress
The accuracy of the image
Fluidity
Smoothness
Multiple adjustment options
The operation of discretion
Gamma although factory set

We liked least:

Price
3D pack optional
Color configuration too and no factory to standard
Ghosting in 3D"

In comparison here's a quote from Trusted Reviews subjective only evaluation of the X700's 3D.

"Looking back, the 3D performance of last year’s JVC projectors really was disappointing, feeling like a distinct step backwards from what had gone before. To JVC’s credit it’s taken this on board and really tried to put the problems right this time round. The new driving technology it’s introduced for 3D works wonders, removing 90% of 2013’s crosstalk ghosting problems. The result of this is one of the best 3D pictures we’ve seen, combining outstanding levels of detail and clarity, a hugely impressive sense of 3D space and depth, and extremely rich colours and contrast by active 3D projector standards."

What we have is one reviewer backing up what he says with objective evidence while the other reviewer gives us his subjective impressions only. What if Trusted Reviews only looked at Avatar and a couple of other non-challenging 3D discs? To some extent consumers are making expensive decisions based on these reviews -- there's always some "leap of faith"; but really!

Here's the link to Cine4home's review of the JVC X500:

http://translate.google.ca/translate...tm&prev=search

There is mention of 3D calibration but nothing on ghosting and no L/R test pattern. This review tells me literally nothing about real world 3D performance. The same goes for its review of Epson's new LS10000.

Here's CNET's review of the X700 (not really trying to pick on the X700 but these reviews do point out the problem with subjective reports about 3D).

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/jvc-dla-x700r/2/

This review at least attempts to put the X700's 3D in perspective by comparing it to the Epson's 3D. To put the X700's 3D into context you would have to be familiar with how the Epson handles 3D. The 3D L/R test would save a lot of time -- at least when it comes to ghosting, which is, let's face it, together with brightness, 3D's biggest problem.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 01-26-2015 at 01:23 PM.
post #10289 of 11372 Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I'm wondering if anybody else here looks at the levels the sources are encoded at as part of checking out projectors. I know some people can look at levels with a PC.

I've kept a Panasonic AE1000 around even though the bulb is on its last legs largely because of the built in waveform monitor.

I find it interesting to be able to look at the levels in the sources for different things. For instance, when some grass looks more blue than green on one projector than another and more green than blue on another, to be able to go see how the source seems to be encoded. Or for checking different levels related to contrast ratio, like how bright things are in the image compared to how much ANSI CR matters vs how much on/off (sequential) CR matters to those real images.

With the price drop on the AE8000 I'm thinking of getting one of those and using it for my waveform monitor since I figure I'll continue to want to have a waveform monitor available and it has good image quality (even though I prefer the latest JVCs there). If I get one I figure I'll keep it for a while even if mostly just as a backup projector.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #10290 of 11372 Old 01-26-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If 3D isn't your thing then skip this post.

O.K. here goes -- this is why the L/R 3D test pattern for ghosting is so important. If you read Kraine's review posted immediately below you'll note the L/R ghosting results he obtained and refers to in the 3D portion of his review of the JVC X700. His subject evaluation more or less matches to the objective results he obtained. There's really no B.S. in his review when it comes to 3D.

http://translate.google.ca/translate...0%2F&sandbox=1

Here's a a summary of the review:

"We liked:

The highest native contrast enhanced by the use of dynamic iris
Brightness in progress
The accuracy of the image
Fluidity
Smoothness
Multiple adjustment options
The operation of discretion
Gamma although factory set

We liked least:

Price
3D pack optional
Color configuration too and no factory to standard
Ghosting in 3D"

And that ghosting is at 24p! It seems no better than what I experienced with my RS40/45. And just try 3D at 60i - it was unwatchable on my JVC projectors. That's especially ironic because my first 3D camcorder was a JVC TD1. It's a great 60i 3D camcorder, but its video looked miserable on the RS40 and even worse on the RS45 (despite JVC's claims that it had improved 3D on the RS45 - I'm ticked to this day by that ludicrous claim ). JVC's D-ILA chips just don't do justice to 3D. OTOH, DLP's mediocre contrast robs 3D of much of its impact, despite the fact that it's ghost free. Which brings me back to how great 3D looks on an OLED. Perfect black level, infinite contrast, extremely good ghosting performance - OhMyDearGod!!! I'm saving up my ducats for the biggest OLED screen as I can afford.

Joe Clark

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread