Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 345 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #10321 of 10324 Unread Today, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Yeah, but those black levels on that Sony are mediocre at best. I had the HW55 and those two are very similar in the black level and contrast departments. I immediately sold the HW55 and got the X700, which still doesn't have good enough contrast and black levels for my liking. But I'm a contrast guy. Black is the canvas that all other colors are painted on, IMO. If the blacks aren't realistic, then the image fails to be realistic and believable. I would rather have perfect blacks than a really bright image.
I wouldn't call them mediocre in the context of what's currently available. Mediocre may be the appropriate word to use if you're talking in absolute terms, but by today's standards in the front projection market they are class leading. Other than perhaps the VW1100ES, what projector this bright can offer the same contrast performance? There are a handful of three chip DLPs that come close and are on par with it but that's it. If you have a large screen and want better than average contrast to fill a large screen a JVC will not cut it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10322 of 10324 Unread Today, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I wouldn't call them mediocre in the context of what's currently available. Mediocre may be the appropriate word to use if you're talking in absolute terms, but by today's standards in the front projection market they are class leading. Other than perhaps the VW1100ES, what projector this bright can offer the same contrast performance? There are a handful of three chip DLPs that come close and are on par with it but that's it. If you have a large screen and want better than average contrast to fill a large screen a JVC will not cut it.
Well JVC is the only projector I would even consider purchasing unless the Epson LS10000 proves to be a contender. But even then, those are both 2K machines, well pseudo 4K. And I have the X700 now and wouldn't dare buy another 2K/pseudo 4K projector. Native 4K or nothing for my next purchase.

But yes, in terms of what's currently available, JVC is the clear leader in the black level dpt. I still wouldn't buy a Sony projector because they are not up to my black level standards. They are mediocre at best, IMO, not even close to class leading. The only classes they are leading in is 4K and out-of-the-box color. The image on my HW55 looked much more flat and dull compared to my X700. And the VW600 is a glorified 4K version of the HW55, with a brighter lamp.

Now I'm not saying the VW600 is a bad projector, it just isn't something I would spend my money on. If it had JVC black levels and retained the same lumen output, then I'd take her on a date.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #10323 of 10324 Unread Today, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Well JVC is the only projector I would even consider purchasing unless the Epson LS10000 proves to be a contender. But even then, those are both 2K machines, well pseudo 4K. And I have the X700 now and wouldn't dare buy another 2K/pseudo 4K projector. Native 4K or nothing for my next purchase.

But yes, in terms of what's currently available, JVC is the clear leader in the black level dpt. I still wouldn't buy a Sony projector because they are not up to my black level standards. They are mediocre at best, IMO, not even close to class leading. The only classes they are leading in is 4K and out-of-the-box color. The image on my HW55 looked much more flat and dull compared to my X700. And the VW600 is a glorified 4K version of the HW55, with a brighter lamp.

Now I'm not saying the VW600 is a bad projector, it just isn't something I would spend my money on. If it had JVC black levels and retained the same lumen output, then I'd take her on a date.

You're missing the point being made. The JVC isn't bright enough for large screens. As you step up past the JVCs brightness you can't do better than the Sony projectors. There are a couple 3-chip DLPs that are about par with 600ES, but that's it. If you're in need of a lot of lumens the Sonys are "state of the art" in terms of contrast and black level.

So while they may not be for you there are some who need the brightness and commend Sony for having a product this bright that still allows them to get decent contrast performance.
post #10324 of 10324 Unread Today, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
You're missing the point being made. The JVC isn't bright enough for large screens. As you step up past the JVCs brightness you can't do better than the Sony projectors. There are a couple 3-chip DLPs that are about par with 600ES, but that's it. If you're in need of a lot of lumens the Sonys are "state of the art" in terms of contrast and black level.

So while they may not be for you there are some who need the brightness and commend Sony for having a product this bright that still allows them to get decent contrast performance.
Yes, I agree if you "need" larger than 120" diagonal, you will either have to get a brighter projector or a high gain screen.

But, I would sacrifice screen size for better black levels any day of the week. I'm content with what I have for now, but if nothing REVOLUTIONARY is announced within the next 3-4 years in the projection world that has better black levels and brightness and contrast & is 4K/8K and LED/laser powered, I will be jumping ship to OLED.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page