Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 349 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10441 of 11262 Old 02-15-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,090
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Thanks Kris for your work with the comparison. It seems you liked the LS10000 overall and can see reasons why someone might purchase one. Also, thanks for the L/R 3D tests -- they pretty much match my expectations. In other words if you only watch 3D once in awhile then 3D on the LS10000 is probably not going to be a problem. On the other hand, if 3D is a priority then stick with a DLP. Too bad we can't have great black levels and ghost-free 3D.

Personally I think lasers are going to become the norm and its going to happen sooner rather than later. I'm also more excited about other improvements in image quality than I am about 4K -- I may change my mind but for now I'd prefer the manufacturers improve on/off C.R. and shadow detail rather than pushing 4K.

Thanks again for doing this.
We are definitely headed into the laser generation of projectors.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10442 of 11262 Old 02-15-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,423
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Interesting take. I wonder if the focus uniformity issues you saw are unit-to-unit variance. I'll take a close look at mine next week when it arrives. I am buying the unit so I'll have it here for a longer period of time. I will also take a much deeper look into the sharpness settings to see if I can find a happy "middle ground". JVC's out of the box sharpness setting is perfect. Once you disable MPC and clear black, the default sharpness is where it should be. For 4K playback I'll be using my PC. I didn't have issues syncing a 4K signal with my JVC, though it has the latest firmware on it so maybe that's what was causing issues for you on your JVC?

Could you also take a look at the firmware? Which version is it?

I will be using a Lumagen Radiance XD and will have the JVC X500 setup for BT 1886 and the same goes for the LS10000. I will be doing an auto-calibrate for this. I believe you can assign a different CMS for each HDMI output from the XD iirc. This should make it easier and faster to set things up.

So from what you saw, you didn't like how it comes out of full fade to blacks with laser modulation enabled? And you recommend the lighter mode? Overall do you like the JVCs DI better from what you saw? This is something I am extremely interested in checking out.

If Zombie has time for a shootout I'm sure he'll be all over 3D performance and how things look from behind glasses.
The JVC has more of a gradual black out than the Epson for obvious reasons. Both do full blackout for absolute black but I like the JVC was with the dynamic irises enabled. I actually use my X700 without the iris enabled and the Epson faired well that way too. I would always love more native CR from a projector but I can live with both in native mode.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
Kris Deering is offline  
post #10443 of 11262 Old 02-15-2015, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 21,061
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Thanks Kris and Darin. Am I wrong in concluding that the price differential of MSRP for the Epson vs the discounted street for the JVCs would not justify purchasing an Epson over a JVC unless one needed the extra light?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is offline  
post #10444 of 11262 Old 02-15-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 5,927
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Thanks Kris and Darin. Am I wrong in concluding that the price differential of MSRP for the Epson vs the discounted street for the JVCs would not justify purchasing an Epson over a JVC unless one needed the extra light?
Don't forget the benefits the laser brings too regarding color calibration and lumen loss overtime being much longer on the Epson. These are the real benefits these next-gen light sources have.

The Epson is more ready for UHD blu-ray because of HDCP 2.2 and DCI color gamut support.

For some these benefits are worth the extra price, especially if they plan on putting a lot of hours on the projector. But it seems like overall performance is very "JVC-like", but with these added benefits.
d.j. likes this.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #10445 of 11262 Old 02-15-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 21,061
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Very good points.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is offline  
post #10446 of 11262 Old 02-15-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,044
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Thanks, Kris!

DavidHir is offline  
post #10447 of 11262 Old 02-15-2015, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
darinp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 21,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Jonathan may have written down some numbers that I missed, but here is what I got for our measurements with the LS10000 and RS57 today:

On/off CR:
Epson:
No dynamic mode (I think the manual iris was at -4): 16.8k
Dynamic mode: Black of 0
Dynamic mode with pause icon from Oppo.15.8k
JVC:
Manual iris open: 38.3k
Dynamic iris on: 600k
Dynamic mode with pause button from Oppo: 500k

Center of offset 4x4 checkerboard CR:
Epson:
Iris open: 220:1
Iris -4: 200:1
Iris -9 or -11 (I don't recall): 190:1
JVC:
Iris open: 270:1

BTW: Based on what I saw today and with the Sony before, if somebody offered me a loaner for a year between the VW600 and the LS10000 I would take the LS10000. That is largely because I would not be happy with the black performance of the Sony I saw. I would want to spend time checking out more things between the Epson and JVC to pick between them in a case like that.

--Darin
Chad B and venkatesh_m like this.

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Last edited by darinp2; 02-15-2015 at 11:27 PM.
darinp2 is offline  
post #10448 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 6,339
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
Jonathan may have written down some numbers that I missed, but here is what I got for our measurements with the LS10000 and RS57 today:

On/off CR:
Epson:
No dynamic mode (I think the manual iris was at -4): 16.8k
Dynamic mode: Black of 0
Dynamic mode with pause icon from Oppo.15.8k
JVC:
Manual iris open: 38.3k
Dynamic iris on: 600k
Dynamic mode with pause button from Oppo: 500k

..............

--Darin

Darin - Thanks to both yourself and Kris for doing the Epson/JVC shootout. I do have one observation and question.


In looking over your results it appears with just the Oppo pause icon on the otherwise black screen (I assume this is what you were using) the JVC has already closed down it electro-mechanical dynamic iris, but it appears the Epson had not yet started dimming the lasers. Are you certain that Epson's dynamic contrast was actually turned on when you made this measurement? If is was, then I wonder if the Epson's normal vs. fast setting for dynamic contrast impacts the threshold where the dimming begins or just how fast it acts once the overvall image brightness drops below the threshold?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 02-16-2015 at 03:11 AM.
Ron Jones is online now  
post #10449 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,798
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
Jonathan may have written down some numbers that I missed, but here is what I got for our measurements with the LS10000 and RS57 today:

On/off CR:
Epson:
No dynamic mode (I think the manual iris was at -4): 16.8k
Dynamic mode: Black of 0
Dynamic mode with pause icon from Oppo.15.8k
JVC:
Manual iris open: 38.3k
Dynamic iris on: 600k
Dynamic mode with pause button from Oppo: 500k

Center of offset 4x4 checkerboard CR:
Epson:
Iris open: 220:1
Iris -4: 200:1
Iris -9 or -11 (I don't recall): 190:1
JVC:
Iris open: 270:1

BTW: Based on what I saw today and with the Sony before, if somebody offered me a loaner for a year between the VW600 and the LS10000 I would take the LS10000. That is largely because I would not be happy with the black performance of the Sony I saw. I would want to spend time checking out more things between the Epson and JVC to pick between them in a case like that.

--Darin
The differences in on/off seem significant, at least on paper. Visually were the two projectors much closer than the numbers indicate? Did anyone take numbers for lumens for each projector?

Given the significant differences in contrast and the lack of differences everywhere else (except maybe lumens) why would anyone pick the Epson (unless you're planning on keeping a non-4K projector for the next seven or eight years)? Laser is a nice feature but IMO hardly worth it when you end up with less contrast -- both on/off and ANSI and probably have to pay significantly more (especially over a X500R). Do both these projectors do a full fade to black? I thought Kris mentioned that they did. If so, why the differences in on/off with irises on? Personally I would think this comparison will help kill whatever demand there is for the LS10000. I know I certainly wouldn't purchase one -- not for $8,000.

It seems to me that the JVC does everything the Epson does and some of those things better. The Epson apparently doesn't stand out in areas such as sharpness (e-shift, Super Resolution and so on), contrast or 3D (maybe its extra lumens would help here except it would make any ghosting more obvious). If I were only interested in 2D I'd go the JVC route. Am I wrong? What am I missing?

Last edited by Deja Vu; 02-16-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Deja Vu is offline  
post #10450 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,090
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Was lag checked when playing a 4K source on the Epson?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #10451 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 06:44 AM
 
Citation4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Georgia Mountains
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Darin and Kris, thanks again for conducting this comparison. I hope you can answer a few questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
On/off CR:
Epson:
No dynamic mode (I think the manual iris was at -4): 16.8k
Dynamic mode: Black of 0
Dynamic mode with pause icon from Oppo.15.8k
When you say no dynamic mode, I'm sure you mean no dynamic contrast mode, but were you also using the dynamic color mode? If not, which color mode did you use, or does it not make a difference? Cine4home measured 25k to 40k for on/off depending on zoom and static iris settings. They used dynamic color mode. They had to experiment with the size of a small white square to determine where the native black level is for the Epson. What laser power setting was used? What was your throw distance relative to its range? Did you measure on/off with lens iris maximally closed (-11)? If you use higher lasr power and reduce fL using the lens iris, the on/off is higher.

Quote:
Center of offset 4x4 checkerboard CR:
Epson:
Iris open: 220:1
Iris -4: 200:1
Iris -9 or -11 (I don't recall): 190:1
Was this measured off the screen or facing the projector? I tried testing ANSI and generally failed due to the sensor size of my lux meter. It limited how close I could get to the projector. I could get no closer than about 3 ft. At this distance I was getting around 240. I was using the Radiance 4x4 checkerboard patterns (which allows switching B/W so the meter doesn't have to be moved) averaging the 2 upper-center squares. I'm sure you used a similar pattern. Since cine4home measured 270, I thought my measurements were reasonable.

Was the JVC measured during this same test or referenced from prior test? Did its manual iris reduce contrast similarly to the Epson?

When you did your viewing tests, which color mode did you use/prefer? THX, Natural, Cinema, ....? Did you have Super White on or off? To get those 29 fL, I assume Super White was off.

Did you explore different gamma settings? Which did you prefer in the color mode you watched most?


Are you going to post the colorimetry measurements?


Again, thanks for doing these comparison tests? They are extremely useful.


Bob

Last edited by Citation4444; 02-16-2015 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Corrected cine4home's ansi measurement
Citation4444 is offline  
post #10452 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 6,339
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Thanks Kris and Darin. Am I wrong in concluding that the price differential of MSRP for the Epson vs the discounted street for the JVCs would not justify purchasing an Epson over a JVC unless one needed the extra light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Don't forget the benefits the laser brings too regarding color calibration and lumen loss overtime being much longer on the Epson. These are the real benefits these next-gen light sources have.

The Epson is more ready for UHD blu-ray because of HDCP 2.2 and DCI color gamut support.

For some these benefits are worth the extra price, especially if they plan on putting a lot of hours on the projector. But it seems like overall performance is very "JVC-like", but with these added benefits.

Another thing that some here seem to be forgetting is the JVC used for the comparison was not a RS49/4910/X5000 which does have street price about 1/2 of the MSRP of the Epson. Kris has a X700 (a.k.a RS57) which has a list price 60% more than the RS49 ($8K vs. $5K), but also has a rated native on/off CR of 120,000:1 vs. the RS49's 60,000:1. So this shootout is between a higher-end JVC model (but not the flagship X900/RS67 series that use handpicked LCoS chips) and the LS10000.
Kris Deering likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is online now  
post #10453 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,044
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Another thing that some here seem to be forgetting is the JVC used for the comparison was not a RS49/4910/X5000 which does have street price about 1/2 of the MSRP of the Epson. Kris has a X700 (a.k.a RS57) which has a list price 60% more than the RS49 ($8K vs. $5K), but also has a rated native on/off CR of 120,000:1 vs. the RS49's 60,000:1. So this shootout is between a higher-end JVC model (but not the flagship X900/RS67 series that use handpicked LCoS chips) and the LS10000.
However, with the iris largely opened up, the contrast ratios are about the same between the RS57 and RS4910 to my understanding. When they are clamped down with very low lumens is when the differences are larger but probably not used like that very often in most home theaters.
Kris Deering likes this.

DavidHir is offline  
post #10454 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 08:20 AM
 
Citation4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Georgia Mountains
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
When they are clamped down with very low lumens is when the differences are larger but probably not used like that very often in most home theaters.
With the Epson's higher lumen output, it can be used with the iris clamped down giving higher on/off. That's the way I have determined to use mine. It gives enough fL in medium power with iris open, but it's better using high power with iris clamped down to reduce fL. The Epson can be very flexible.
Kris Deering likes this.
Citation4444 is offline  
post #10455 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
rak306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
But the way phosphors are used in these laser projectors is completely different than CRT projectors, and carries none of the benefits.
Yea, I guess you got me there. Still, I think this technology is the way we will see lasers in (affordable) HT for a long time to come.
rak306 is offline  
post #10456 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,044
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post
With the Epson's higher lumen output, it can be used with the iris clamped down giving higher on/off. That's the way I have determined to use mine. It gives enough fL in medium power with iris open, but it's better using high power with iris clamped down to reduce fL. The Epson can be very flexible.
That is a nice option with the Epson. But the JVCs still measured higher contrast based on their testing.

DavidHir is offline  
post #10457 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
The JVC has more of a gradual black out than the Epson for obvious reasons. Both do full blackout for absolute black but I like the JVC was with the dynamic irises enabled. I actually use my X700 without the iris enabled and the Epson faired well that way too. I would always love more native CR from a projector but I can live with both in native mode.



How can the X700 do absolute Black ? ( I asume, it dosnt turn of the lamp or close the iris 100 % or what !? ) , Im aware of, that it probely close the iris much and the Black level is very low, but isnt there still a Little light out off the projector ?


dj


Did you get to see which software the LS10000 had ?


And thank you Kris ( and Darin ) for taking the time to do a nice test / comparing and for writing it in here

Last edited by d.j.; 02-16-2015 at 09:01 AM.
d.j. is offline  
post #10458 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,090
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Am I the only one that sees 240ms when processing 4K content as a potential problem? I have asked the question, but don't think Kris and Darin were able to test this. This will not be a problem now with 1080P content, but I can certainly see it (if the reported number of 240ms is correct) as a problem, once 4K BD's are available.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #10459 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 09:13 AM
 
Citation4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Georgia Mountains
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
That is a nice option with the Epson. But the JVCs still measured higher contrast based on their testing.
Maybe so, but AFAIK they didn't measure this. From my understanding they reduced the Epson to 14fL by going to ECO mode and using a modest iris closing (-4?). The lens iris hardly starts to reduce light at that setting. I think a better option to reduce fL (for performance, not economics) would have been to use medium or high power and really clamp the iris down to get the desired fL.

Bob
Citation4444 is offline  
post #10460 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Another thing that some here seem to be forgetting is the JVC used for the comparison was not a RS49/4910/X5000 which does have street price about 1/2 of the MSRP of the Epson. Kris has a X700 (a.k.a RS57) which has a list price 60% more than the RS49 ($8K vs. $5K), but also has a rated native on/off CR of 120,000:1 vs. the RS49's 60,000:1. So this shootout is between a higher-end JVC model (but not the flagship X900/RS67 series that use handpicked LCoS chips) and the LS10000.


And to that, you will need about 10 lamps to the X700 ( if we asume it can hold about 3000 hours every time, and after about 300- 500 hours after every lamp Exchange , it will be dropping the light output ) what do A lamp cost in the US ?


So Kris could use this in eco mode ( which will give him up to 30000 hours ! ) and get his wanted 14,5 fL , meaning that even if he use it 10 hours at day, 300 days at years, he will have light enought for ad least 10 years ! ( and / or use the higher settings and probely still have lots off light after 8- 10 years )


A little benefit more to the Epson is the instant on ( about 6 sec ) and the possibility to turn it on/ of without woring about the "lamp".
Kris Deering likes this.
d.j. is offline  
post #10461 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,090
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
And to that, you will need about 10 lamps to the X700 ( if we asume it can hold about 3000 hours every time, and after about 300- 500 hours after every lamp Exchange , it will be dropping the light output ) what do A lamp cost in the US ?


So Kris could use this in eco mode ( which will give him up to 30000 hours ! ) and get his wanted 14,5 fL , meaning that even if he use it 10 hours at day, 300 days at years, he will have light enought for ad least 10 years ! ( and / or use the higher settings and probely still have lots off light after 8- 10 years )


A little benefit more to the Epson is the instant on ( about 6 sec ) and the possibility to turn it on/ of without woring about the "lamp".
Highly doubtful the Epson will last anywhere close to 30k hours. This is not a knock against the Epson, I would not expect a Sony or JVC to last 30k hours either. Anyone buying any projector, expecting it to last 30k hours is going to be sadly disappointed. I am not talking about the light source. I am talking about the rest of the projector.
Kris Deering, rak306 and PJC Bill like this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #10462 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,423
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Darin - Thanks to both yourself and Kris for doing the Epson/JVC shootout. I do have one observation and question.


In looking over your results it appears with just the Oppo pause icon on the otherwise black screen (I assume this is what you were using) the JVC has already closed down it electro-mechanical dynamic iris, but it appears the Epson had not yet started dimming the lasers. Are you certain that Epson's dynamic contrast was actually turned on when you made this measurement? If is was, then I wonder if the Epson's normal vs. fast setting for dynamic contrast impacts the threshold where the dimming begins or just how fast it acts once the overvall image brightness drops below the threshold?
We did it both ways for CR. We measured with the projector calibrated the same peak white as my JVC (14.5 fL) and got 17K:1. Then we put it in high laser mode and brought the manual iris all the way closed down. This delivered brightness to right around 16-17 fL if I recall. Contrast was then measured at around 27K:1 if I remember right. With the dynamic mode there was no black to measure so you could call a standard on/off test as infinite as there is no light coming out of the projector at that point. We wanted to have a pattern with like a single point of white or something to bring it to the next possible black level so we just used the pause icon in the Oppo. Not the same, but it was what we had to work with. We always gave the image time to settle for this. Those are the numbers that Darin posted. We did the exact same measurements with the JVC and the JVC was considerably higher CR.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
Kris Deering is offline  
post #10463 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,423
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
The differences in on/off seem significant, at least on paper. Visually were the two projectors much closer than the numbers indicate? Did anyone take numbers for lumens for each projector?

Given the significant differences in contrast and the lack of differences everywhere else (except maybe lumens) why would anyone pick the Epson (unless you're planning on keeping a non-4K projector for the next seven or eight years)? Laser is a nice feature but IMO hardly worth it when you end up with less contrast -- both on/off and ANSI and probably have to pay significantly more (especially over a X500R). Do both these projectors do a full fade to black? I thought Kris mentioned that they did. If so, why the differences in on/off with irises on? Personally I would think this comparison will help kill whatever demand there is for the LS10000. I know I certainly wouldn't purchase one -- not for $8,000.

It seems to me that the JVC does everything the Epson does and some of those things better. The Epson apparently doesn't stand out in areas such as sharpness (e-shift, Super Resolution and so on), contrast or 3D (maybe its extra lumens would help here except it would make any ghosting more obvious). If I were only interested in 2D I'd go the JVC route. Am I wrong? What am I missing?
We didn't test overall lumens, I forgot to test how bright each was in their respective modes. I know with the Epson in eco mode with the iris all the way open I got about 17 fL on my screen measured from center. In Normal mode it was closer to 29 fL. I didn't measure high mode for white level.

The JVC was darker in really low APL scenes but it wasn't as drastically different as the Sony was. The Epson does its iris quite different than both of the Sony and JVC, but its native contrast didn't look bad at all, despite the lower numbers. It was quite sharp and significantly brighter than the JVC. Couple that with better HDMI handling, a quieter high brightness mode, HDCP 2.2, and a light source that won't change much over its life time (supposedly), I think it is a very significant option compared to the X700 at near the same price. Comparing to the X500 makes it a tougher sell, but this may be a good option for someone looking to buy a projector right now and keep it for a very long time.
Citation4444 likes this.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
Kris Deering is offline  
post #10464 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,423
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post
Darin and Kris, thanks again for conducting this comparison. I hope you can answer a few questions.When you say no dynamic mode, I'm sure you mean no dynamic contrast mode, but were you also using the dynamic color mode? If not, which color mode did you use, or does it not make a difference? Cine4home measured 25k to 40k for on/off depending on zoom and static iris settings. They used dynamic color mode. They had to experiment with the size of a small white square to determine where the native black level is for the Epson. What laser power setting was used? What was your throw distance relative to its range? Did you measure on/off with lens iris maximally closed (-11)? If you use higher lasr power and reduce fL using the lens iris, the on/off is higher.

Was this measured off the screen or facing the projector? I tried testing ANSI and generally failed due to the sensor size of my lux meter. It limited how close I could get to the projector. I could get no closer than about 3 ft. At this distance I was getting around 240. I was using the Radiance 4x4 checkerboard patterns (which allows switching B/W so the meter doesn't have to be moved) averaging the 2 upper-center squares. I'm sure you used a similar pattern. Since cine4home measured 270, I thought my measurements were reasonable.

Was the JVC measured during this same test or referenced from prior test? Did its manual iris reduce contrast similarly to the Epson?

When you did your viewing tests, which color mode did you use/prefer? THX, Natural, Cinema, ....? Did you have Super White on or off? To get those 29 fL, I assume Super White was off.

Did you explore different gamma settings? Which did you prefer in the color mode you watched most?


Are you going to post the colorimetry measurements?


Again, thanks for doing these comparison tests? They are extremely useful.


Bob
We did not use a dynamic color mode, I used the THX preset. It was nearly dead on for 709. As I mentioned in the post above we did measure in a few different laser modes including full power with the iris clamped all the way down.

Ansi measurements were not done off the screen. We used a large board covered in black velvet with a very small hole in it. Darin used a T10 meter so that the only light coming thru was the center of the box being measured. This does a great job of eliminating the room from the measurement. The meter was placed on a tripod and centered in the square being measured.

JVC measurements were all done yesterday as well. All in low light mode with the iris fully open (except come dynamic iris tests).

Color mode was THX profile with Super White On. I set brightness and contrast with Ted's Lightspace test disc with white clipping at about 237 as I didn't want any color clipping below 235. Like the JVC the Epson has a hard time resolving digital 17 without raising the black floor.

I believe I ended up with Gamma 1 as it tracked the best for BT 1886. I wasn't fond of their gamma tweaking abilities, I would have to play around with it a bit more to see how to adjust these better.

I don't believe I saved the colorimetry measurements as I wasn't intending on publishing them. As I said before measuring this was a bit peculiar. I plan on revisiting this projector at Chromy's house after I've touched base with Spectracal. I will do a calibration there and I can publish those after I do it.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
Kris Deering is offline  
post #10465 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,423
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
How can the X700 do absolute Black ? ( I asume, it dosnt turn of the lamp or close the iris 100 % or what !? ) , Im aware of, that it probely close the iris much and the Black level is very low, but isnt there still a Little light out off the projector ?


dj


Did you get to see which software the LS10000 had ?


And thank you Kris ( and Darin ) for taking the time to do a nice test / comparing and for writing it in here
I didn't mean absolute off black like the Epson, but with the dynamic iris the measured black level of the JVC still ends up being almost too low to measure reliably. It looks like a pure blackout on screen.

Chromy will have to post what the firmware was, it is the latest available on the Epson website.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
Kris Deering is offline  
post #10466 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,423
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post
Maybe so, but AFAIK they didn't measure this. From my understanding they reduced the Epson to 14fL by going to ECO mode and using a modest iris closing (-4?). The lens iris hardly starts to reduce light at that setting. I think a better option to reduce fL (for performance, not economics) would have been to use medium or high power and really clamp the iris down to get the desired fL.

Bob
We did it both ways as I mentioned above and the CR did increase. This is what I would recommend for the end user as well. I personally would probably use the Standard laser mode with the iris clamped down to my desired fL. The high mode was still a bit too noisy for my tastes.
DavidHir likes this.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
Kris Deering is offline  
post #10467 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 6,657
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
We did it both ways as I mentioned above and the CR did increase. This is what I would recommend for the end user as well. I personally would probably use the Standard laser mode with the iris clamped down to my desired fL. The high mode was still a bit too noisy for my tastes.
Thanks for doing this comparison and review. Always good to get as many informed hands on shoot outs and tests as we can.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #10468 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 10:39 AM
 
Citation4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Georgia Mountains
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
We did it both ways as I mentioned above and the CR did increase. This is what I would recommend for the end user as well. I personally would probably use the Standard laser mode with the iris clamped down to my desired fL. The high mode was still a bit too noisy for my tastes.
Here are my sequential CR measurements done this morning. My meter is close to the lens, but not covered in velvet like Darin did. I'm sure my contrast would be higher if I had, but nevertheless these show the results in a typical room.


In dynamic mode, high power, lens iris open, sequential contrast measured 22,504
In dynamic mode, high power, lens iris closed (-11), sequential contrast measured 32,078
In my normal viewing mode (calibrated natural mode with high power and lens iris closed to -9), sequential contrast measured 20,335


In all cases dynamic contrast was off, super res/4k enhancements were off. My throw is 17 ft, roughly in the middle of its range for my 128" diag 1.78 screen.
cine4home got a range of 25K to 40K depending on zoom and lens iris settings, so I think my results are about right.

My screenshots from ChromaPure are shown below in the same order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iris open.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	549345   Click image for larger version

Name:	iris closed.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	549361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Natural Iris -9.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	549369  
Citation4444 is offline  
post #10469 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 21,061
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Another thing that some here seem to be forgetting is the JVC used for the comparison was not a RS49/4910/X5000 which does have street price about 1/2 of the MSRP of the Epson. Kris has a X700 (a.k.a RS57) which has a list price 60% more than the RS49 ($8K vs. $5K), but also has a rated native on/off CR of 120,000:1 vs. the RS49's 60,000:1. So this shootout is between a higher-end JVC model (but not the flagship X900/RS67 series that use handpicked LCoS chips) and the LS10000.


So the comparison was between two projectors with the same MSRP. But one, no offense, is highly discounted and one isn't. A more accurate price wise comparison would be the JVC and the cheaper non e shift but laser fired projector.
Kris Deering likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is offline  
post #10470 of 11262 Old 02-16-2015, 01:50 PM
 
Citation4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Georgia Mountains
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I plan on revisiting this projector at Chromy's house after I've touched base with Spectracal.
This would be great. My C6 with CalMAN did get along with this projector. Even when profiled to my i1Pro2 it gave some squirrely results. Maybe someone could loan Spectracal an LS10000 so they could look into it?
Citation4444 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off