Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 358 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #10711 of 10956 Old 03-26-2015, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
A nice premium for new stickers, heh. On a side note, an external color processor is hardly justified with this projector. Optoma HD131Xe has a RGBCYW color wheel which translates to less than Rec709 color volume (saturation, hue and luminance). You can't really make this projector match the standard even with a color processor.
Yeah, tell me about it. Just rebrand something "Diamond" or "Platinum" and mark the price up 200% and sit back and watch the uninformed open up their wallets. They should be ashamed of themselves...

And from the reviews I've read, that projector isn't really good for HT due to inaccurate colors (even after calibration). It's better suited for video games and watching sports. Even the newer HD141X suffers the same fate. But these are sub $1000 projectors so you can't really ask for perfection here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 10956 Old 03-26-2015, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The Q750i is one of the largest and heaviest projectors I've had here It's going to look hilariously large next to the LG. I'll definitely snap a photo. Depending on how well they've refined this unit since cine4home's pre-production sample it may indeed come close in performance, but my guess it will come a little shy of the refined image the Runco is capable of putting out. But we'll see tomorrow!
I'm trying to have realistic expectations but it is good to see Cine4home was impressed with it.

at least another member will get a chance of ownership when you get rid of it in 2 weeks. This one I am definitely keeping for TV viewing
post #10713 of 10956 Old 03-26-2015, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Yeah, tell me about it. Just rebrand something "Diamond" or "Platinum" and mark the price up 200% and sit back and watch the uninformed open up their wallets. They should be ashamed of themselves...

And from the reviews I've read, that projector isn't really good for HT due to inaccurate colors (even after calibration). It's better suited for video games and watching sports. Even the newer HD141X suffers the same fate. But these are sub $1000 projectors so you can't really ask for perfection here.
there must be a enough 'boutique' customers who are buying their products to keep them in business. I still think it's odd that company's like JVC are licensing their product to another so it can be masqueraded in a fancy case. I don't believe there is any 'secret sauce' going on vs. the original product, it looks mainly like a re-label.
post #10714 of 10956 Old 03-26-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Just got my tracking number:

Quote:
Shipping Method: UPS EXPEDITED DELIVERY
Scheduled Arrival Date: 03/27/15
I'm off from work tomorrow so I should have all afternoon/evening to play around with it.

I want to test input lag, ootb brightness, calibrated brightness, contrast performance, lens quality, native sharpness, and a few other aspects. I'm sure I'll have something written up by the end of the day tomorrow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #10715 of 10956 Old 03-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
there must be a enough 'boutique' customers who are buying their products to keep them in business. I still think it's odd that company's like JVC are licensing their product to another so it can be masqueraded in a fancy case. I don't believe there is any 'secret sauce' going on vs. the original product, it looks mainly like a re-label.
Yup, it's purely cosmetic for the most part (possibly a more high end case design, "cooler" name, etc...). I'm sure they try to differentiate themselves by offering perks/incentives (e.g., better warranties, customer support, etc...). But that wouldn't justify the price hike for myself. Marketing such as this caters purely to the 1%...the people who have to own Brand A just because it's more expensive than Brand B (even though the internals that make it tick are exactly the same). Hey, maybe the case matches the rest of their decor better (WAF).
post #10716 of 10956 Old 03-26-2015, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm off from work tomorrow so I should have all afternoon/evening to play around with it.

I want to test input lag, ootb brightness, calibrated brightness, contrast performance, lens quality, native sharpness, and a few other aspects. I'm sure I'll have something written up by the end of the day tomorrow.
Did you finally get calibration software? If so, make sure and check all saturation levels @ 100/75/50/25. I'll be look at this closely to see if it matches Cine4home's findings.

I promised some folks in the under 3K thread to discuss the calibration since it has a CMS built in.
post #10717 of 10956 Old 03-26-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had ChromaPure Professional for a few months now. I have a Lumagen Radiance XD that I normally use the Auto-Cal feature with.

post #10718 of 10956 Old 03-26-2015, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well that was fast, BH sold out of the PF-1500's. I guess that's what happens when we starting discussing new projectors on one of the most popular threads.
post #10719 of 10956 Old 03-26-2015, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've had ChromaPure Professional for a few months now. I have a Lumagen Radiance XD that I normally use the Auto-Cal feature with.
how many hours on your X500? I would be curious to see the gamma curve with the default 2.2 setting. A number of members are discussing gamma droop but I don't know how many hours are on the clock when they are seeing this.

do you have any intentions of keeping the LG for general use?

for 3+ years I used my QUMI on a tripod and a makeshift screen for watching TV at night before bed. I was going to upgrade to the PF85 but knew this was coming since around Xmas time and decided to wait.

2 of the major standout features are the WIDI and Bluetooth. I was surprised how well WIDI/Miracast works.

one concern will be the focus. The plastic lens on the QUMI would shift as it warmed up. not a deal breaker but a bugger to have to focus it twice in a sitting.
post #10720 of 10956 Old 03-26-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll check tonight, but I always seem to have 3 or 4 different projectors here at a time so it's hard to put a ton of hours on the JVC. In fact, I'm typing this now as I'm using the Q750i. The JVC has been been neglected for the past couple weeks (it's actually on the floor right now haha). I'm sure you go through similar problems. #firstworldproblems

post #10721 of 10956 Old 03-26-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
well that was fast, BH sold out of the PF-1500's. I guess that's what happens when we starting discussing new projectors on one of the most popular threads.
Jason,

That's where I was gonna order it if you and Dylan's observations were good. Guess it will be just a longer wait now unless I can find it in stock elsewhere.

Mike
post #10722 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post
Jason,

That's where I was gonna order it if you and Dylan's observations were good. Guess it will be just a longer wait now unless I can find it in stock elsewhere.

Mike
With Dylan owning multiple LED projectors, I'm waiting to see his observations
post #10723 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

what does owning several LED projectors have to do with the observations of this projector? It's just a light source. When I had the Runco 750 here and stacked against the Planar, both calibrated @ D65/R709, they look basically the same. Same thing with the Optoma HD91.

I'm going to be using this on a daily basis to replace my QUMI LED.
post #10724 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
what does owning several LED projectors have to do with the observations of this projector? It's just a light source. When I had the Runco 750 here and stacked against the Planar, both calibrated @ D65/R709, they look basically the same. Same thing with the Optoma HD91.

I'm going to be using this on a daily basis to replace my QUMI LED.
Basically, he owned the clone of the LED projector I had. Your input is much appreciated too lol.
post #10725 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Jason,

Mike
They will likely get stock back quickly, same thing with MacMall and Zones who were also carrying it earlier this week.

Mine is out for delivery so I have to bring my Mede8ter to work and try to disappear for a good hour so I can take a first look at it. I'm anxious to see how well the Miracast works. Load up some movies on the S4 and carry this little projector around for a portable theater.
post #10726 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
what does owning several LED projectors have to do with the observations of this projector?
I think it's just curiosity/interest in how this little machine compares to it's bigger brothers. Seegs is one of the few who has seen, and actually has at the moment, one of the "big boys" to compare it to.

Most people who pick up one of these will never have seen a good LED/DLP and would probably just gush over it if it's not terrible. I'm curious how it would hold it's own with a Planar 8150, if it can hold it's own it might have to be an addition/replacement. It looks like it's about as bright as the 8150 (going by Cine4home's measurements) in high lamp (both calibrated), but it will "never" dim and the Planar is rather loud in high lamp.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #10727 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Basically, he owned the clone of the LED projector I had. Your input is much appreciated too lol.
Zombie's correct. It most definitely is just a light source. Though to correct you I've had LED units based on other light engines here too. With the LEDs we get higher sequential color rates to effectively eliminate color breakup on the visible level for 99.9% of viewers. We also get less dithering noise in dark scenes because the mirrors are less frequently in a state of flux between color/luma information. There are obvious benefits in longevity of lumen output and calibration too. We can effectively have a solid state light engine (with the exception to the DMD) which reduces complexity, costs, and possible premature mechanical failure. So while it's just a light source that honestly doesn't add much in terms of PQ (if any at all), most of the benefits come in from other places.

So while comparing this to other LED models might be a bad idea due to large differences in price, I have had several $1000 or less DLP projectors here that I can comment on in comparison.

post #10728 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I think it's just curiosity/interest in how this little machine compares to it's bigger brothers. Seegs is one of the few who has seen, and actually has at the moment, one of the "big boys" to compare it to.

Most people who pick up one of these will never have seen a good LED/DLP and would probably just gush over it if it's not terrible. I'm curious how it would hold it's own with a Planar 8150, if it can hold it's own it might have to be an addition/replacement. It looks like it's about as bright as the 8150 (going by Cine4home's measurements) in high lamp (both calibrated), but it will "never" dim and the Planar is rather loud in high lamp.
I've had the Runco LED stacked with the Planar, they look strikingly similar with a D65/R709 calibration. I've also had the CineLED here as well, Optoma HD91 LED and another LED I haven't discussed yet. Plus i've used a QUMI LED on a nightly basis for the last 3.5 years which I'm replacing with the LG.

it's clear some folks with the LED's are running in native mode, they brag about the 'rich, vibrant colors' which translates into overcooked colors. probably fine for animations but wouldn't run this mode for the typical movie.
post #10729 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't realize you've had the Q750i before. So far it's been the best LED unit for overall PQ I've seen. I liked the TruVue Vango. It had a little more light output over the Q750i, a nicer lens, excellent motion processing, and motorized zoom/focus (a rarity among DLP units). But it lacked a decent LED dimming suite like the Q750i possesses. So for similar reasons as to why I like the PD8150 so much, the Q750i is the same way even among DLP units that have better aspects elsewhere in the picture. BTW the PD8150 is the same projector as the Q750i. It literally just swaps out the lamp and color wheel section of the light path and replaces it with the LED module.

post #10730 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A fellow member asked me to calibrate the 750 in their HT so as a thanks I got to borrow it for a while. With my relatively new blacked out room, I've been sensitive to iris activity on any of the projectors. The 750 'iris' was much better than the HD91 (that's not saying much) but I could still see it working on occasion.

it was pretty bad on the HD91, jumping all over the place at any setting, I had to end up turning it off to get through a movie.

The LG should be noticeably brighter than the original QUMI LED which was about 300 lumens. I brought it with me to show the size difference. it's exactly the size of a 3.5 HD.
post #10731 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:

Let us know how loud it is also.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #10732 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Yup, it's purely cosmetic for the most part (possibly a more high end case design, "cooler" name, etc...). I'm sure they try to differentiate themselves by offering perks/incentives (e.g., better warranties, customer support, etc...). But that wouldn't justify the price hike for myself. Marketing such as this caters purely to the 1%...the people who have to own Brand A just because it's more expensive than Brand B (even though the internals that make it tick are exactly the same). Hey, maybe the case matches the rest of their decor better (WAF).
I think they offered an upgrade to the 10.2 HDMI 2.0 chip in the current model, so that is something definitely worth while. Not trying to justify the product, but if that was added, it would definitely be a step up.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #10733 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Jason,

Mike
Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Minibeam-...item25a344425a

post #10734 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #10735 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

damnit UPS driver......WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?

post #10736 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
This projector is using the new .47 Full HD panel

http://newscenter.ti.com/2014-12-03-...t-applications

Key features of the 0.47" TRP Full-HD 1080p display chipset include:
  • Full-HD resolution delivers sharp, clear images and compact size enables end-user products in many form factors.
  • Low power consumption allows for use in battery-powered applications, such as mobile projectors and wearables.
  • Proprietary TI DLP® TRP architecture and adaptive DLP IntelliBright™ suite of algorithms can deliver up to 100 percent higher brightness or up to 50 percent lower power consumption than previous DLP Pico™ chipset architectures. DLP TRP architecture delivers twice the resolution of its same-size predecessor
It just occurred to me...

0.47"*2 = 0.94" (or depending on rounding) 0.95"

1920x1080*2 = 3840x2160

Are these "new" .47" 1080p chips just 1/4 of a 0.94-0.95" "4k" DMD? It could physically be a drop in replacement for the larger 1080p DMDs in the likes of an LS5, etc.

And anyone have any info on this "Tilt & Roll"/TRP architecture?

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen

Last edited by stanger89; 03-27-2015 at 09:47 AM.
post #10737 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

it has a nice solid feel, I like the overall shape. it comes a number of input cables for RGB and also composite cables as well.

boot is quick and the remote is very nice, it has a gyroscope built in to move the mouse around for navigating the menus.

Seegs108 and maximus74 like this.
post #10738 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I have a tracking #, it may be here tomorrow as well.
Quote:
Where did you guys order it from?

Only thing I see is availability in 2+ weeks from big river, B&H, et al.
post #10739 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Yikes!! I look at used projectors on eBay quite often and it cracks me up when I see something like a Sharp XV-Z12000 720p DLP on there for like Buy It Now $5500. I'm sure you religiously look there often as well to acquire projectors to try out cause every once in a while a bargain shows up.

Mike
post #10740 of 10956 Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
damnit UPS driver......WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?
Tell your UPS guy that he is going to have to up his game. Let him know that Zombie's UPS guy beat him out of the gate.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page