Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 361 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #10801 of 11396 Old 04-02-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
thanks for the details on the comparison. that is interesting info on the 2 different e-shift technologies. If you had the Epson, would you use the e-shift or likely keep it off?

regarding the fan noise, how loud was it in high lamp vs the JVC?
I would keep it off. In fact, I'd probably rather get the 9600e and add in a Darblet because of this issue. I guess the best way to describe the softness with the Epson was that it looked like it was defocused, whereas the JVC with eshift on clearly did not by comparison. And the first time we witnessed it, this is exactly what we thought had happened. So we pulled the Epson out of eshift mode and it was perfectly focused still. Then we enabled it and tried to refocus it with eshift on just in case there was some sort of lens memory involved when eshift is enabled altering the focus adjustment and still couldn't get it to look better (because the lens itself was still dialed in focus-wise). The good thing is that, like the JVC, you can still use the smart sharpening presets without eshift being enabled. There's modes off, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4K-1, 4K-2, 4K-3, 4K-4, and 4K-5. All the modes without the "4K" in the title are just the same levels of smart sharpening enabled without eshift turning on. Though the Epson doesn't give you the granularity of control over each processing feature tied into eshift, like the JVC does. This is fine though as most of the modes looked pretty good on the Epson.

We didn't have a dB meter with us, but high mode was audibly louder so that if an owner had it near their viewing position it might be bothersome during quiter scenes. Though tolerance to noise is definitely something subjective and I think some owners might be okay with the level of noise. But again, it was definitely louder than the JVC in high lamp mode. It seems these lasers must be putting out quite a bit of heat and the large chassis just can't muffle the noise enough. Again, noise tolerance is subjective and with me having so many DLP units here that are normally considerably louder the Epson would be fine in my book, but for those who want something as quiet as possible with high contrast, the Sony's and JVC's are quieter in their highest output modes.

Last edited by Seegs108; 04-02-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10802 of 11396 Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Here was my (poor) attempt to overexpose an image to show the contrast difference and "lens streaking" between both units with "real" content. In real life, with human eyes, the streaking is no where near this visible. Because of the long exposure, the image is blurry because the Oppo logo is constantly moving. But as you can see, even with just the Oppo logo on an all black background the JVC has a clear advantage, though with less contrasty content the images looked equal:

(I think that's Bob's head making the shadow on the JVC's image )

Last edited by Seegs108; 04-02-2015 at 08:23 PM.
post #10803 of 11396 Old 04-02-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Good write up, Seegs.

You are correct that it shows just how good of a value the JVC is. Those who got them last year have been able to enjoy an excellent pj for over a year and may not have upgradeitis till Dec. It will be interesting to see what the big three have in store for Cedia this year.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #10804 of 11396 Old 04-02-2015, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Here was my (poor) attempt to overexpose an image to show the contrast difference and "lens streaking" between both units with "real" content. In real life, with human eyes, the streaking is no where near this visible. Because of the long exposure, the image is blurry because the Oppo logo is constantly moving. But as you can see, even with just the Oppo logo on an all black background the JVC has a clear advantage, though with less contrasty content the images looked equal:

(I think that's Bob's head making the shadow on the JVC's image )
I always used to hate this lens streaking affect I had on my X900 and other models before that. My VW1100 has never exhibited this phenomenon, thank God.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
post #10805 of 11396 Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
thanks for the details on the comparison. that is interesting info on the 2 different e-shift technologies. If you had the Epson, would you use the e-shift or likely keep it off?

regarding the fan noise, how loud was it in high lamp vs the JVC?
A month or two ago I spent about 4 hours with an LS10000 in a dedicated room. I didn't measure the sound so just going "by ear" I felt like the Epson on Low/Medium sounded like my VW95 on High, and that on High it sounded like the RS49 on high. Take this with a grain of salt though - this was just by audible memory. Tho I can say with confidence it is definitely louder than the VW95. That said - although I am rather sensitive to fan noise, I don't think the fan in the LS10000 would bother me in either mode. Had a nice even whirl to it so the frequency of the fan was not objectionable.
post #10806 of 11396 Old 04-02-2015, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Thanks for the write-up Seegs.
Quote:
That is, the Q750i doesn't add or detract noise. If noise is in the source, the Q750i will display it.
A projector may not "add" noise, but it can multiply it. I don't know how to determine whether a projector is multiplying the noise in the source or not since showing no noise when the source doesn't have any doesn't prove anything with respect to this because 0 times any reasonable number would still be 0, so even a noise multiplying display can show no noise at times.

I suspect that some of the limitations with controlling mirrors (such as minimum positive on and off durations) causes some noise in sources to be increased over what the source has encoded, and maybe more-so with single chip DLPs. Other than analyzing how individual pixels are displayed compared to how they are encoded I can't think of a way right now to know whether a projector is multiplying noise from sources.

--Darin
HoustonHoyaFan likes this.

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #10807 of 11396 Old 04-02-2015, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Interesting review Seegs, did you get a chance to do any measurements like contrast and light output?
post #10808 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I always used to hate this lens streaking affect I had on my X900 and other models before that. My VW1100 has never exhibited this phenomenon, thank God.
This is a problem on all Jvc after what I have seen, just sheep plastic optical, but on my jvc500 you have to look hard to see it from my sweet spot. But is there.

If you are honest, have you ever seen this in a film?
And irritated you, except the oppo logo?

AKA Diddern
post #10809 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post
This is a problem on all Jvc after what I have seen, just sheep plastic optical, but on my jvc500 you have to look hard to see it from my sweet spot. But is there.

I saw it on all credits and yes it did spoil watching them. I care about credits, most don't.
For the price you pay for the top JVC it shouldn't be there.
As I said I have no problem like this on my VW1100, the credits are clean.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
post #10810 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks for the write-up Seegs108

When your brightness match them, did you have to lower the Epson to mid or low mode or ? or asking different, was the Epson brigther then the JVC ? ( and did you calibrete them before comparing ? )

Strange about the "E-shift" on softness, when I was seeing it both times, it clearly was getting sharper wih the 4K3 mode, but also clearly rougher / more digitalized ( I would have liked to try the 4K 1-2 mode ) and when th E-shift was off, it was clealy softere, even visible from 2-3 m.

a little shame ( IMO) that non of you did tested movements and the image interpolation more, but understandably, if you are not for it anyway and one has the priority, because time flies when you test fun stuff

dj
post #10811 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Seegs, you said you thought the 3D on the LS10000 was very good -- better than the X500? If so, why? Too bad you didn't have some tougher 3D material (opening or closing credits for Gatsby or the last chapter or two in Hugo).

I'm in Japan right now and will be going to Tokyo in a couple of days. I'll try and have a look at the LS10000 and maybe a couple of other units.
post #10812 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Both units use an all glass lens with a couple ED elements, not cheap plastic. On occasion with subtitles in a high contrast scene it can be visible, but for the most part no, it's not something you typically see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
A month or two ago I spent about 4 hours with an LS10000 in a dedicated room. I didn't measure the sound so just going "by ear" I felt like the Epson on Low/Medium sounded like my VW95 on High, and that on High it sounded like the RS49 on high. Take this with a grain of salt though - this was just by audible memory. Tho I can say with confidence it is definitely louder than the VW95. That said - although I am rather sensitive to fan noise, I don't think the fan in the LS10000 would bother me in either mode. Had a nice even whirl to it so the frequency of the fan was not objectionable.
I agree, it wouldn't bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
Thanks for the write-up Seegs.
A projector may not "add" noise, but it can multiply it. I don't know how to determine whether a projector is multiplying the noise in the source or not since showing no noise when the source doesn't have any doesn't prove anything with respect to this because 0 times any reasonable number would still be 0, so even a noise multiplying display can show no noise at times.

I suspect that some of the limitations with controlling mirrors (such as minimum positive on and off durations) causes some noise in sources to be increased over what the source has encoded, and maybe more-so with single chip DLPs. Other than analyzing how individual pixels are displayed compared to how they are encoded I can't think of a way right now to know whether a projector is multiplying noise from sources.

--Darin
I suspect the JVC is slightly multiplying/adding some noise. The Q750i is the cleanest I've seen when it comes to noise. The Epson definitely had some extra noise reduction going on that you couldn't disable. Whether or not this is a good or bad thing is up to the end user. I'm in the slightly negative camp on this one. Put in an older movie with a bunch of film grain, aka noise that's supposed to be there, and you never know what the Epson will do to the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Interesting review Seegs, did you get a chance to do any measurements like contrast and light output?
We didn't have time to measure all of the modes and I didn't have my laptop with me to record everything so I would've had to memorize all the numbers. We had the JVC in low lamp mode, and then brightness matched the Epson in medium laser mode and closed down the iris few clicks. I don't remember what the brightness measurements were. They were within a couple lux of one another. Darin and Kris Deering have a whole bunch of measurements when they did a X700 vs LS10000 shootout a month or so ago. The numbers are on the forum somewhere. I'm sure a quick search will find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
Thanks for the write-up Seegs108

When your brightness match them, did you have to lower the Epson to mid or low mode or ? or asking different, was the Epson brigther then the JVC ? ( and did you calibrete them before comparing ? )

Strange about the "E-shift" on softness, when I was seeing it both times, it clearly was getting sharper wih the 4K3 mode, but also clearly rougher / more digitalized ( I would have liked to try the 4K 1-2 mode ) and when th E-shift was off, it was clealy softere, even visible from 2-3 m.

a little shame ( IMO) that non of you did tested movements and the image interpolation more, but understandably, if you are not for it anyway and one has the priority, because time flies when you test fun stuff

dj
The Epson was in it's THX mode and was tweaked from that by Bob's dealer/friend. The JVC, most of the time, was hooked up to my lumagen which had gone through an auto-cal the previous week, though after a few hours we took it out because for some reason it was adding a bunch of noise to the JVCs image. I want to go back into the Lumagen's menu and see if I can spot why it was doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Seegs, you said you thought the 3D on the LS10000 was very good -- better than the X500? If so, why? Too bad you didn't have some tougher 3D material (opening or closing credits for Gatsby or the last chapter or two in Hugo).

I'm in Japan right now and will be going to Tokyo in a couple of days. I'll try and have a look at the LS10000 and maybe a couple of other units.
We didn't A/B with 3D so I can't make a definitive answer. But from what I saw I would say, yes, the Epson handles 3D better than the JVC. I didn't see any flicker on it like you get on the JVC. I took off my glasses specifically to try and spot some. Behind the glasses on a 126" diagonal screen looked nice and bright to us.

Last edited by Seegs108; 04-03-2015 at 05:24 AM.
post #10813 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Thanks to seegs108 for bringing over the runco and jvc, we are both fortunate enough to spend 7 hours with these toys and had a great time.

After owning the jvc x70 and then the 4910 for a short while I can tell you I'm impressed with how the ls 1000 performs, in fact the performance is so close compared to the x500 side by side it was kinda freaky. As Dylan mentioned we had an issue with the epson appearing out of focus on text and menus with any of the 4k 1-5 modes, it wasn't untila friend of mine came over and put it in the regular sharpening modes that it made to text appear extremely sharp.The contrast difference was very close with having to choose one I would give the jvc the nod, it's that close. I regret to say that neither projector had been professionally calibrated although the Epson was in THX mode the JVC had not been calibrated, we just didn't have time.The grain/noise issue on the JVC is not evident at all on the Epson which is impressive,the image just had a very clean look.although the two projectors were brightness matched the JVC appeared to be slightly brighter,The Oppo logo looked whiter and brighter it wasn't Hugely Apparent in most scenes butwe did notice it.I thought motion was comparable on both which I thought was very good, imo neither one needed the motion modes as I feel they only add more processing and soap opera effect.
I'm not a big 3-D nut but I do enjoy watching it on occasion,I think there's something to be said about watching a contrast Rich picture in 3-D,although I'm not dialed in on ghosting etc.I preferrto just enjoy the image and leave it at that. So to me the epson looked fantastic with 3-D I also thought it look fantastic on my 4910 (we did not view it on seegs X.500 yesterday). Ymmv😀

TV is big for me I watch a lot of sports and different shows on DirecTV I thought the two projectors were very similar I would give the jvc The nod here ,the Epson just looked a little over sharpened to me. But that could just be it needs more tweaking.

The Jvs is no doubt a better bargain out of the two given the differences in price point,The laser is not worth $3000 more in my opinion.it certainly is nice to have that consistency quick turn on and off,calibrate it and forget about it and just enjoy it.The cleaner image is a big plus for me.as Seegs mentioned the 9600 becomes a much better value for those shopping for a Pj.

I think epson did a great thing by bringing out this laser projector, in the next few years I'm sure they will tweak it and really make it of great value as the price comes down and possibly add 4k to this chassis.I also think to be epson hasn't been getting a very fair shake on this forum it's been getting beat up by some people that haven't even seen it yet or maybe didn't see it under ideal conditions it's not perfect and it's a little expensive compared to the the cheaper JVC but I guarantee you JVC has taken notice of this projector and needs to do something for next year especially if epson drops the price.
With that said I think everyone who owns a JVC X.500 should feel good that their projector is still a great value and puts out a hell of an image.

The Runco puts Out an impressive image I think where it falls behind obviously is the contrast which we all know, in addition to that on my 126 diagonal screen I wish it had been a bit brighter. If only TI could produce a DC5 4k chip that gave similar contrast to the JVC and Epson I'd be all over it. Size and the build quality on the runco is just out of this world. it's comparable in Audible noise to the other machines although the JVC on low was very quiet.I thought the runco looked the best with TV not surprising!

I should have the Sony 350 ES here pretty soon that we can compare to the Epson,i'm sure Dylan will want to come back to see the comparison lol

Bob
d.j. likes this.
post #10814 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

To brightness match we used a test pattern disc and loaded up the 100 IRE pattern. Both were within a few lux of one another. I disabled both DI's for this. Then re-enabled the DI's afterwards. I think the difference in dynamic iris/contrast was why the JVC appeared brighter. I think the JVCs iris was working more often and a bit more aggressively. This was evident with the Oppo logo as mentioned. It just "popped" more. Where as the Epson's image looked a little duller by comparison.

We watched a little bit of an Eagles concert on blu-ray and I have to say the Q750i looked even better than the Epson did when we had them A/B'ed. The Runco is definitely impressive considering it's a DLP projector. It just had more depth to me with this concert. Motion performance was definitely a step up too.

Last edited by Seegs108; 04-03-2015 at 06:33 AM.
post #10815 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I find that the lens streak varies from sample to sample (it's always there but the intensity of it varies). My last RS57 sample had it greatly reduced in comparison to my old 4810. My benchmark was an all black full screen video with the mouse cursor. My 4810 would streak mostly vertically and diagonally on the mouse cursor. My RS57 would streak vertically as well but less pronounced and the diagonal streak was minimal (iris disabled on RS57, brightness matched).

Good comparison Seegs. The LS10000 goes on sale in a couple of days. I was thinking of picking one up to check out myself and compare against my cherry picked Sonys, and my RS57. I was hoping the epson would have superior ANSI contrast...
post #10816 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

The JVC does not have any plastic in the lens.

I have had 2 different VW1000 and my first had very slight streaking and I also think like Seegs108 that this is not a lens problem as the VW1000 has one of the best lenses in the PJ world.

My X500 has this, but very weak, I can not see it from seating distance at all, if I move close to the screen I can see it.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #10817 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 218
As for my X500 I can see streaking ever so slightly on the credits if I really look.I can not imagine returning it for this extremely minor issue. I watch movies not credits.In fact, if the only issue with a PJ is very slight streaking during credits, there is no reasonable complaint.lol

James Reid
post #10818 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
As for my X500 I can see streaking ever so slightly on the credits if I really look.I can not imagine returning it for this extremely minor issue. I watch movies not credits.In fact, if the only issue with a PJ is very slight streaking during credits, there is no reasonable complaint.lol
I never even noticed this on either pj myself, just like I oppted not to look for rainbow on dlp, some things are better left alone!
post #10819 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich;
Thanks for putting on the smile because your statement that the current JVC lenses are all glass elements surely is a joke. Have you taken the lens apart? While it is a very good performing lens, containing 14 elements (I don't know how many groups) one of those elements is indeed plastic. PLASTIC. At least this is not a JVC thread where my disclosure would start a hell storm. JVCs are not built to a no holds barred design with parts costs not being a limiting factor. They switched from a Japanese lens company to a Chinese lens company who supplied JVC with a cheaper but better performing lens. This was years ago when the JVC lenses were a bad joke not being able get RGB to be in focus at the same time. The JVC have good lenses now in part because the same lens is used on all the HT models. Economies of scale

Unless JVC is just flat out lying I don't understand where you're getting this from?

From their latest generation projector marketing:

Source: http://cdn.jvc.eu/dla-x900r/feature02.html

This has been the same statement from all the literature from the current chassis projectors. I'm assuming it's been the same lens since the RS40 and on, but with a new DI device in it this year.

Last edited by Seegs108; 04-03-2015 at 10:09 AM.
post #10820 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Unless JVC is just flat out lying I don't understand where you're getting this from?

From their latest generation projector marketing:

Source: http://cdn.jvc.eu/dla-x900r/feature02.html

This has been the same statement from all the literature from the current chassis projectors. I'm assuming it's been the same lens since the RS40 and on, but with a new DI device in it this year.
I have also been told by JVC that it is an all glass lens.

AV Geek for life. :) Call for advice and help.
post #10821 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 640
I thought the black floor would look closer between the 2 models. Is the photograph exaggerating it or can the difference be seen in person?

regarding the fan noise, this is important for my setup, my projectors are literally 1 foot away from where my chairs are. I find the JVC's a bit annoying in high lamp. The Planar is also noticeably in high lamp. The Sharp 30K is pleasant in high lamp and nothing beats the VW1100 which has a nice quiet cooling system. Impressive considering it can crank out 1700+ D65 lumens.

you guys are talking about the X500/RS4910 as the bang for the buck.. and it is.. but I think the bargain bang for the buck was the discontinued X35/RS46. I've stacked this against a dozen different 4910's and 3 RS57's. Wide open, the contrast difference is in-perceivable. Same sharp lens. Same 3D performance (for good or for bad..), etc.

it's a shame JVC didn't continue with this model and price it at $2500 street to directly compete with the Epson 5030 and Sony HW40. The natural sharpness is noticeably better - one of the best besides the .95 DLP's and the native contrast is clearly a league above both competing models.
post #10822 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

It can be seen in person. And we did see it many times and with certain dark content the JVC just obliterated the Epson because it's "iris" opened up too much and a clear and distinct advantage could be seen with the JVC. I don't recall one instance where the Epson looked better with dark content (though, correct me if I'm wrong Bob. I don't remember any).

But that's not the "black floor" per say. That's just the level of black the projector can do with content actually in it. Black, with the DI on, is immeasurable because the laser shuts off, I guess this is what you'd call the next step up from off. Now obviously that image is overexposed so black is much "blacker" on both units, but I didn't do anything to alter that image other than overexpose it with the camera and resize it in software. Remember native contrast is 16-17000:1 vs 26-27000:1 so it's not surprising at all to see a difference like this. DI's can only do so much.

Last edited by Seegs108; 04-03-2015 at 11:53 AM.
post #10823 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've stacked this against a dozen different 4910's and 3 RS57's. Wide open, the contrast difference is in-perceivable.
While I agree it was a better bang for the buck, remember the X500 could be had for not that much more and with the DI on the X500, contrasty scenes would be much, much better on the X500. It may be able to closely match it in native contrast, but dynamic contrast on the X500 would kill the X35.
post #10824 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Dylan: How do these compare to the Runco 3-chip? It was you who wrote about that awhile back wasn't it? I remembered you liking it (?). I've got a pretty big screen and have the sister to the Runco 10i which I've liked very, very much for several years now. I can get an exceptional deal on an Epson (cost ) and had considered.putting one in my theater/demo room. I currently run 100% eco mode which keeps my fan's noise down and I got 3200+ hours out of my last bulb. The JVC's I've had in here weren't as bright (I have not personally played with the last couple of generations). When you don't brightness match, doesn't the Epson have a little more headroom on lumens?

Thanks,
Scott
post #10825 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
While I agree it was a better bang for the buck, remember the X500 could be had for not that much more and with the DI on the X500, contrasty scenes would be much, much better on the X500. It may be able to closely match it in native contrast, but dynamic contrast on the X500 would kill the X35.
'Kill' is a little overstated, I spent months looking at these projectors in a stack in a light controlled, blacked out room. If I owned the 500/RS4910, I would likely run it without the iris. There is room for improvement here, especially with the DG.

I usually run the JVC's with a fixed iris, usually -8 or so in my setup.
HoustonHoyaFan likes this.
post #10826 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
'Kill' is a little overstated, I spent months looking at these projectors in a stack in a light controlled, blacked out room. If I owned the 500/RS4910, I would likely run it without the iris. There is room for improvement here, especially with the DG.

I have been running without the iris lately, I feel like there is more depth to the image. Maybe it depends on content. As for running at -8, that is where your Hi-power screen comes in. In my blacked out room I have my manual iris at 0, while in low lamp. When the bulb is new I can dial it to -3, but even that is a bit dim on my 1 gain screen. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, a JVC with 1200+ calibrated Lumen's has me selling my liver if need be. Just put that many lumen's in my X500 and I would be happy for years to come. The image is just so sharp and contrast so good.

James Reid
post #10827 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to agree that the x35 is a giant bargin and I compared my 4910 to the x35 and it was very close, in fact the x35 that I had here had a sharper lens than the 4910.

It's a bummer that jvc did away with it.
post #10828 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With extremely dark content like harry potter, you honestly think both units iris wide open in high lamp but the X500 using its DI would look about even?
post #10829 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think the only content you watch is the dark scenes in Harry Potter. Theses kind of very low APL scenes do not represent the majority of content out there.

I know I don't like what the JVC iris does in the interrogation scene in Oblivion. you have openly criticized the JVC iris in the past.. written entire paragraphs about it.

the iris is ok but can certainly use some help and it's likely they are working on V2.0 in the next release.

Also, I wouldn't run wide open, I run -8 on average, sometimes as low as -11. I don't like to see the DG jumping around. it stands out in my dark room.
post #10830 of 11396 Old 04-03-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think the only content you watch is the dark scenes in Harry Potter. Theses kind of very low APL scenes do not represent the majority of content out there.

I know I don't like what the JVC iris does in the interrogation scene in Oblivion. you have openly criticized the JVC iris in the past.. written entire paragraphs about it.

the iris is ok but can certainly use some help and it's likely they are working on V2.0 in the next release.

Also, I wouldn't run wide open, I run -8 on average, sometimes as low as -11. I don't like to see the DG jumping around. it stands out in my dark room.
I wasn't talking about regular content though. I said with "dark content" the X500 will look much better.

I'm not saying the X35 was not a bargain. I'm just saying the iris gives you the best of both worlds on the X500.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page