Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 366 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #10951 of 10968 Old 04-24-2015, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 559
I've had 3 30K's here (2 members sent theirs in for a review before I bought mine), there was some sample variance but my copy is excellent for focus uniformity. side to side, top to bottom on my 142". max gain on the 2.8HP is the gift of the full lens shift.

Which glasses are you using on the 17K?

let's see how many members fight to get dibs on this one once it goes on the chopping block next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10952 of 10968 Old 04-24-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 498
I'm using my Estar glasses and RF emitter. To get it to work properly I needed to use a Monster IR receiver with it to pick up the IR signal that's coming out of the front of the Sharp. When you do that you need to power the RF emitter with the USB micro port. Any old cell phone charger will work. A bit complex to set up, but it saved me money by not having to buy IR based Sharp glasses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!

Last edited by Seegs108; 04-24-2015 at 03:04 PM.
post #10953 of 10968 Old 04-24-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if somehow I could get my hands on the latest version of the Z17K's firmware? I want to try something crazy. Considering this is a Delta dynamic iris mechanism I wonder if you could simply swap out the code that makes it move with another projector that uses one. Like use the PD8150's DI code with the Z17K or the Sim2 Lumis HOST's code? I have a Sim2 Lumis Host firmware file and the PD8150's latest firmware file.

All three of the controlling mechanisms look exactly the same. It's an ultra-low mass actuator made of thin aluminum (though each DI's actuator is shaped differently) which is attached to an electromagnetic controller. The picture I posted last week with the Delta logo was of this controller. The controller is the same and that's the important part as the software that controls it will control it the same way. So I'm curious if it's possible to do this. Somehow I'd need to figure out a way to isolate that code in the firmware file and transfer it over. The only thing that might be tricky is how the code alters the gamma and if it's written in a way that transcends differentiating video processors which would make this adjustment and if unishape lamp control is also tied into this code which both the Lumis HOST and PD8150 have but the Z17K lacks. Lots to think about...
biliam1982 likes this.

Last edited by Seegs108; 04-24-2015 at 03:10 PM.
post #10954 of 10968 Old 04-24-2015, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I'm using my Estar glasses and RF emitter. To get it to work properly I needed to use a Monster IR receiver with it to pick up the IR signal that's coming out of the front of the Sharp. When you do that you need to power the RF emitter with the USB micro port. Any old cell phone charger will work. A bit complex to set up, but it saved me money by not having to buy IR based Sharp glasses.

that looks familar..!

I can't put my finger on it, but I think the Sharp glasses look even better than using the Monster / e-star glasses. it's worth picking up a pair of cheap G20's to see it once before you leave 3D DLP land and go back to x-talk island. Just hide those Lichtmond 3D BD's from the JVC.

forget the L/R patterns, those are the new 3D torture tests.
post #10955 of 10968 Old 04-24-2015, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

When I sold my old Monster glasses and emitter I kept the IR receiver thinking it might come in handy with the estar emitter (which doesn't come with an IR receiver) and it did. My investment so far with this Sharp is surprisingly low. I may end up keeping it. We'll see.

post #10956 of 10968 Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
It doesn't "blow" it's just not good with very aggressive 3D like you have on Lichtmond 1, 2, and 3.
I watched Avatar and Prometheus so far and I am highly impressed with 3D performance. It holds the contrast and blacks very well, didn't notice any real problems with flicker or ghosting. I guess the "pop outs" could be sharper, but the overall picture is amazing to me and I actually look forward to watching more of my 3D movies with the JVC 4910.
post #10957 of 10968 Old Today, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Seegs, how is the 2D performance of Z17K? Especially after clamping down the manual iris?
post #10958 of 10968 Old Today, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
When I sold my old Monster glasses and emitter I kept the IR receiver thinking it might come in handy with the estar emitter (which doesn't come with an IR receiver) and it did. My investment so far with this Sharp is surprisingly low. I may end up keeping it. We'll see.
I think Hell just froze over.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #10959 of 10968 Unread Today, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the opposite of a home theater... a mobile theater. I just added a JBL Charge 2 to the LG PF1500 and it sounds great for a portable speaker (there are little sub's on the sides, look up the positive reviews on this model). One of the cool features - if you set a sleep timer on the projector, the speaker will automatically shut down 5 minutes after losing the BT connection.

I showed this setup to some co-workers who were surprised how good the PQ is on this little 'beamer'. The built in media player is excellent, it can play back just about any format you can copy onto the USB drive.

definitely a worthy investment if you are looking for a portable projector with native 1080P.
RLBURNSIDE and Elix like this.
post #10960 of 10968 Unread Today, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I think Hell just froze over.
I got it for VERY cheap, so I'm not out of a ton of money by keeping it here.

In other news, I bought a Sony VPL-VW1000ES. Got it from Amazon's Warehouse Deals. So I've got 30 days to make sure nothing is wrong with it or I can return it. Should be here Wednesday! I wonder if Sony still has an upgrade program? To keep the Sony for long term, I'd need sell my B&W 804D speakers. I had to put the purchase on my credit card.

post #10961 of 10968 Unread Today, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

In other news, I bought a Sony VPL-VW1000ES. Got it from Amazon's Warehouse Deals. So I've got 30 days to make sure nothing is wrong with it or I can return it. Should be here Wednesday! I wonder if Sony still has an upgrade program? To keep the Sony for long term, I'd need sell my B&W 804D speakers. I had to put the purchase on my credit card.
Is it used? What did you give for it?
post #10962 of 10968 Unread Today, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Is it used? What did you give for it?
It's an open box item from Amazon. It's been for sale for a while now but recently Amazon had it started dropping in price by about $600 every 12 hours or so. It started at ~$22000 and then started dropping. I think they were liquidating it because it's been for sale for too long. I don't want to say how much I got it for, but it was a good price. Low enough where I thought it was worth buying even when considering how old the model is.

post #10963 of 10968 Unread Today, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
post #10964 of 10968 Unread Today, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
The anamorphic lens and motorized sled is worth about $4000 by itself. Though who knows what his reserve price is. Some people aren't aware of how much projectors like that depreciate in value. DLP projectors especially seem to lose a lot of value on the used market. I'd say it's worth around $7500-$8000 for the package.

post #10965 of 10968 Unread Today, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
The anamorphic lens and motorized sled is worth about $4000 by itself. Though who knows what his reserve price is. Some people aren't aware of how much projectors like that depreciate in value. DLP projectors especially seem to lose a lot of value on the used market. I'd say it's worth around $7500-$8000 for the package.

Gratulation with your 1000 ....for now

dj
post #10966 of 10968 Unread Today, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Here is the opposite of a home theater... a mobile theater. I just added a JBL Charge 2 to the LG PF1500 and it sounds great for a portable speaker (there are little sub's on the sides, look up the positive reviews on this model).
Just to be clear, you play content on the projector and it has a BT out to the speaker? I was thinking of it as having BT in, but hadn't thought about the other direction.

Thanks,
Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #10967 of 10968 Unread Today, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
Just to be clear, you play content on the projector and it has a BT out to the speaker? I was thinking of it as having BT in, but hadn't thought about the other direction.

Thanks,
Darin
correct, it has BT out to any BT audio device. I've sync'd it to the JBL speaker and my Sennheiser MM400 headphones with no problem. There are no sync issues, the audio is dead on from the source. that is a great feature imo in a portable projector.
post #10968 of 10968 Unread Today, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:

I believe we can still get the update. Shoot us an email or give us a call if you want us to look into it.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page