Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 369 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11041 of 11049 Old Today, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
While I wait for the new 4K models I use a JVC X500, and the dnp 08-85 is sold and I now use a matte 1.0 gain screen. I am waiting for the SI Pure White 1.3 gain curved sceen to help the JVC a little in the bright end. I am exited to try the SI screen and see if it is as good as they claim, if not I will buy the Stewart ST100.
Hi Andreas,

YMMV, but I found that the SI Pure White 1.3 material had more sparkles and sheen than the Stewart ST130, but the Stewart ST100 is the best overall. If I had a light treated room like yourself that's the screen I would get, hands down. So long as it's kept under 120", the X500 would light it up just fine for 2D. For 3D you would need a brighter projector or a secondary drop down high gain screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11042 of 11049 Old Today, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
While I wait for the new 4K models I use a JVC X500, and the dnp 08-85 is sold and I now use a matte 1.0 gain screen. I am waiting for the SI Pure White 1.3 gain curved sceen to help the JVC a little in the bright end. I am exited to try the SI screen and see if it is as good as they claim, if not I will buy the Stewart ST100.
I don't think Sony will come out with a better 4K projector. Or at least I don't think we'll see a Sony 4K projector with ANSI contrast or lens quality like we have with the 1100ES again. Your only hope is something great from JVC or Epson. Or possibly a 4K projector from Sim2 or DPI. But I doubt those will possess the on/off contrast to make you happy.
post #11043 of 11049 Old Today, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I really like my Stewart ST100 screen - I have it paired with my JVC RS4810. I will have to change the lamp sooner than if I had a higher gain screen, but lack of screen texture is so nice with it.
I will definitely be getting this screen in my next dedicated theater room. It's the only one out of close to 30 samples I've tested thus far that has not added any artifacts to the image.

Quote:
+1

The SI Pure White 1.3 also has no texture and according to SI is very uniform and has no visible sparkle, if this is the case I will keep it.
Maybe you won't be as susceptible to texture/sparkling/sheen as much as I am, but I tested many samples from SI and they were all plagued by those artifacts. Maybe they've made some changes to their design in the past year, but I highly doubt it.

I will say SI does have a good ad campaign and they are friendly and nice to deal with. But I just couldn't recommend any of their screens going off what I've personally sheen, pun intended.

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; Today at 03:00 PM.
post #11044 of 11049 Old Today, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
I will definitely be getting this screen in my next dedicated theater room. It's the only one out of close to 30 samples I've tested thus far that has not added any artifacts to the image.
I can see why it's used in post-production studio work.

Now, I will say the Carada Classic Cinema White sample I looked at and compared was virtually as "clean" as the ST100, but it's definitely a step dimmer and lacks a bit of the vibrancy, but great value for the buck. But I needed the extra brightness of the ST100.
Mr. Hatcher likes this.

post #11045 of 11049 Old Today, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just FYI, guys, the most transparent (textureless) screen that I've seen: Screen-Tech screens
Haven't seen ST100 but I can't see the screen being less texture-less.
post #11046 of 11049 Unread Today, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
Just FYI, guys, the most transparent (textureless) screen that I've seen: Screen-Tech screens
Haven't seen ST100 but I can't see the screen being less texture-less.
I remember researching Screen Tech back when I was actively searching for the unicorn screen for all viewing environments, but there just wasn't enough scientific information and/or reviews that I could dig up and I couldn't get samples, so that turned me off. There's a bunch of tiny companies touting they have the best screens, but I need samples before I hand over my hard earned money.

I will say the new EPV (Elite Prime Vision) DarkStar screen samples I received are quite nice. If I had a brighter projector I would be tempted to get the Dark Star 1.4 (the .9 is just too dark, but would look great with a really bright projector).

Overall though, I'm still loving my JVC X700 + DNP Supernova 2.3 combination. That allows for some serious flexibility over the life of the lamp, and also produces some bright 3D when called for.
post #11047 of 11049 Unread Today, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Oh I know, I just don't think it would be a smart move until next year. I mean, with so little content I wouldn't release a full lineup yet. 4K does no one any good without content...
My only point is JVC has historically not released a high end projector that differs significantly from the rest of their lineup. While it seems logical, even most likely that only their RS67 class machine would be UHD, that would most likely mean that their RS49, RS57, maybe even the RS67 (ie the UHD would be a new, higher level machine) would be carried over for a third year.

Quote:
...and when I say content I mean content from DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, etc... DirecTV will need to be broadcasting at least 50% of the channels I watch in 4K before it will be worth it to me. And more video games need to be built in 4K. Watching a 4K BD every now and then just doesn't justify the jump for me.
That's going to be a very long tie I suspect, it took over a decade from the first HD broadcast until "most" content was being made in HD. However for me Ultra HD Blu-ray and upconverting (eliminating the last traces of resolution artifacts, jaggies etc) are enough to make a display upgrade worthwhile. That and the general upgrades in performance from my current projector.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #11048 of 11049 Unread Today, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
My only point is JVC has historically not released a high end projector that differs significantly from the rest of their lineup. While it seems logical, even most likely that only their RS67 class machine would be UHD, that would most likely mean that their RS49, RS57, maybe even the RS67 (ie the UHD would be a new, higher level machine) would be carried over for a third year.
I agree here. I figure this year they will carry over last years models again (maybe not the RS67/X900) and release one or two (top tier, and possibly mid tier) native 4K models to attract potential buyers. But who knows, I could be wrong. This is purely speculation at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
That's going to be a very long time I suspect, it took over a decade from the first HD broadcast until "most" content was being made in HD. However for me Ultra HD Blu-ray and upconverting (eliminating the last traces of resolution artifacts, jaggies etc) are enough to make a display upgrade worthwhile. That and the general upgrades in performance from my current projector.
I disagree here as 4K is being pushed really hard. Manufacturers are already showing off what's possible with 8K prototypes so 4K needs to be mainstream as soon as possible. With HEVC/H.265 & VP9, and HDMI 2.0a & HDCP 2.2 finally being built into products, it shouldn't be longer than a couple years before we're there.

But again, this is purely speculation and me hoping for the best. Though at the rate technology advances now, this is entirely possible. Fingers crossed...
post #11049 of 11049 Unread Today, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Maybe you won't be as susceptible to texture/sparkling/sheen as much as I am, but I tested many samples from SI and they were all plagued by those artifacts. Maybe they've made some changes to their design in the past year, but I highly doubt it.

I will say SI does have a good ad campaign and they are friendly and nice to deal with. But I just couldn't recommend any of their screens going off what I've personally sheen, pun intended.

All the Black Diamond screens have sparkle I know that as I have seen them. But have you seen the Pure White 1.3 screen?

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page