Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 370 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #11071 of 11372 Old 05-05-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post
I have both screens Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 and JKP Affinity 1.1 gain.
For me the JKP Affinity is better,the picture being more pleasant and smooth to the eye,in fact i can't see any sparkle at all...maybe i am not sensitive to them.
Just make sure you stay that way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11072 of 11372 Old 05-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Yes, exactly! Once you see it - it's over. My girlfriend never noticed until I pointed it out to her and then she started seeing it. lol

I'm surprised JKP couldn't find a better way to eliminating or minimizing the issue at that gain.
Hahaha, that's funny!

And I'm really surprised at that as well as it seems they were so close at having something really special. I also noticed the HD Progressive material absorbs ink from labels really well (my samples arrived with sticker labels on them that were labeled with a pen). I feel like that would make it much more difficult to keep clean. There's no way to get that ink out though, I've tried. I haven't noticed this with any of my other samples and they have been similarly labeled. I love my DNP Supernova for that reason. I can just spray it with screen cleaner and wipe it down with a microfiber cloth. It's rigid so it's super easy to clean.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #11073 of 11372 Old 05-05-2015, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I just don't see all production being in a hurry to upgrade all their hardware again.
Add to that the fact that there's an enormous infrastructure of HD MPEG2 that would need to be replaced for the local broadcast networks to even consider broadcasting UHD. What are they going to do, add a UHD subchannel, and try and cram UHD, HD, and SD into 19.2Mbps? Otherwise everyone has to replace their TVs again to be H.265/UHD compatible.
This is why I say broadcast TV is more likely to become obsolete before going to UHD.

Cable/Dish is much easier - just update the cable box. But even this is not very likely for a long time.

Broadcast OTH TV - forget it. Even though they are near a ATSC 3.0 spec., there is no way the US consumer (or the US congress) will tolerate a repeat of the Analog -> Digital TV conversion of the early 2000s. Besides, there is no 100 MHz bandwidth prize for the US government to sell.

So the only way I see it happening, is a slow dual transmission of a single SD or HD channel using the current standard, and a HD/UHD channel using H.265 or whatever. But all of this still must fit in the 20Mbps channel. And what is the financial intensive when most broadcasters already have 1 HD channel and 2-4 SD channels? It just isn't going to happen.
post #11074 of 11372 Old 05-05-2015, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I don't think Sony will come out with a better 4K projector. Or at least I don't think we'll see a Sony 4K projector with ANSI contrast or lens quality like we have with the 1100ES again. Your only hope is something great from JVC or Epson. Or possibly a 4K projector from Sim2 or DPI. But I doubt those will possess the on/off contrast to make you happy.

I never said I was waiting for a Sony, but of corse they will at some point come out With a better machine than the VW1100. I have some inside info about some 4K models, but I can not discuss it here...

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #11075 of 11372 Old 05-06-2015, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Do you live stateside, or across the pond? I sent a request for a sample, but IIRC they said they couldn't send me one because I lived in another Country.

Regardless, I would like to get a sample to compare with my others.
I live 'across the pond'. It is weird they're saying that because I almost bought this screen from them two years ago. They've even calculated packing and shipping costs. The screen was supposed to be shipped in a large wooden crate since it's rigid. The packaging alone would've cost me 125€. But still I thought the deal was very good compared to the price of Stewart screens.

If they don't ship overseas now I see little point in you getting a sample. But if you're interested I might ship you mine. With a promise that you'll do a comparison with ST100.
Mr. Hatcher likes this.

Last edited by Elix; 05-06-2015 at 01:39 AM.
post #11076 of 11372 Old 05-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
This is why I say broadcast TV is more likely to become obsolete before going to UHD.

Cable/Dish is much easier - just update the cable box. But even this is not very likely for a long time.

Broadcast OTH TV - forget it. Even though they are near a ATSC 3.0 spec., there is no way the US consumer (or the US congress) will tolerate a repeat of the Analog -> Digital TV conversion of the early 2000s. Besides, there is no 100 MHz bandwidth prize for the US government to sell.

So the only way I see it happening, is a slow dual transmission of a single SD or HD channel using the current standard, and a HD/UHD channel using H.265 or whatever. But all of this still must fit in the 20Mbps channel. And what is the financial intensive when most broadcasters already have 1 HD channel and 2-4 SD channels? It just isn't going to happen.
I've read that some broadcasters are wary about upgrading to 4K when 8K is right around the corner and is the ultimate end-goal. So they don't want to have to perform expensive upgrades twice in such a short time. Many may very well wait for 8K before upgrading their infrastructure. It will be MUCH easier for satellite providers or areas that have FttH (Fiber-to-the-Home) to the get these upgraded services rolled out.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #11077 of 11372 Old 05-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
I live 'across the pond'. It is weird they're saying that because I almost bought this screen from them two years ago. They've even calculated packing and shipping costs. The screen was supposed to be shipped in a large wooden crate since it's rigid. The packaging alone would've cost me 125€. But still I thought the deal was very good compared to the price of Stewart screens.

If they don't ship overseas now I see little point in you getting a sample. But if you're interested I might ship you mine. With a promise that you'll do a comparison with ST100.
I just ordered a large sheet of Lexan last night. That way I can mount all of my screen samples to it for easier comparisons. If you want to send me that sample, I'll definitely include it in my review. PM me for my address and to discuss it in further detail if you would like to move forward with that.

I do have to get a new lamp for my projector prior to doing the official review, and borrow a friend with a nice DSLR. Should be easy to persuade one of them to come over after I entice them with free food and drinks.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #11078 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Last night I saw Avengers 3D in the Flagship Imax Theater in King of Prussia, PA. This is the real deal, not the 'faux-max' that is invading the local malls.

Great 3D presentation and excellent color, definitely calibrated in 3D. Sound was remarkable.

ah, then those circular polarized glasses. my 3D nemesis. some head tilt... x-talk. Also seeing reflections in the theater blocked in 1 eye and visible in the other is distracting on occasion.

I may be one of the few that likes active shutter glasses - but only if the setup is right (no LCOS/SXRD flicker) and the glasses are very comfortable like the Sharp G20's.

people say 3D is dead, maybe it is in the home, but they keep cranking out these quality 3D productions so the small group that loves it will have some content to view in the near future. All the previews I saw were mainly going to be released in 3D so the studios aren't backing down just yet.. Then Avatar 2, future Stars wars movies, All Marvel movies (and DC as well), animations will likely continue in 3D, documentaries, etc. it's been 6 years since it got popular again and at least a few more to go. some death.
post #11079 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Not sure I understand zombie, when you say REAL DEAL and not faux-max what are you referring to? Avengers wasn't shot in IMAX, it doesn't even have a 4K DI. So it would have gone thru their DMR process. Were they showing it as a 70mm blowup?? Or are you referring to screen size??

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
post #11080 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Screen size, I know it wasn't shot in IMAX but they did a heck of job with the presentation, it looked nice and sharp.

also sound, the local malls that claim to be IMAX are not very impressive compared to what I heard last night. it was great.
post #11081 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 605
My local IMAX (digital not film) is in a converted regular sized stadium theater (probably 250 seats). The sound is incredible considering it's a full sized IMAX sound system in such a small theater. Bass is just ridiculous. Interstellar was amazing to listen to in this theater. Forum member MKTheater (this guy has owned a zillion speakers and subs) drives all the way from Syracuse to see certain films in out local IMAX theater because he loves the sound system so much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
post #11082 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Screen size, I know it wasn't shot in IMAX but they did a heck of job with the presentation, it looked nice and sharp.

also sound, the local malls that claim to be IMAX are not very impressive compared to what I heard last night. it was great.

I did see it in the first and only IMAX in this country for now and find the 3D extremly nice bright and Sharp ( like a 2D movie - gues arround 16 - 20 Fl ) and a very big picture , but sadly it was actully to loud ( and I like it very high normally ), so the sound was to aggresive and a little anoying, And like you, I did see the ghosting, if you tilted your head just a Little.

The bass was good

I was not that impressed, and didnt find the extra high in the Picture to be a benefit, I was more impressed when I first heard a good Atmos sound presentation

dj

Last edited by d.j.; 05-08-2015 at 09:00 AM.
post #11083 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I love my DNP Supernova for that reason. I can just spray it with screen cleaner and wipe it down with a microfiber cloth. It's rigid so it's super easy to clean.
I think the Elite Screens Darkstars are the same way.

Dave
post #11084 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The only issue with the massive screen at this IMAX theater is that there is only a handful of good seats. The angle is very steep on the seating and if you are off-center, there is a lot of head turning during action scenes.

so what do you do. Go on a weeknight at 10:45pm and make sure and get seat 17 on the 2nd to the highest row which is slightly above dead center. For a $20 movie ticket and 1 hour trip to this theater, I'm getting the best seat in the house.

hulk wants to smash circular polarizing glasses..
d.j. likes this.
post #11085 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LG PF1500 Cine4home tear down

Cine4home just posted a detailed tear-down on the LG PF1500 which has become my new favorite portable projector (QUMI RIP 2011-2015).

https://translate.google.com/transla...htm&edit-text=

Who doesn't like seeing a projector gutted to the bone? Amazing how much technology they crammed into a 3 pound projector.
mbw23air likes this.
post #11086 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
I think the Elite Screens Darkstars are the same way.

Dave
I'm not sure. I received samples of both DarkStar materials and neither was mounted on a rigid piece of material like other rigid samples I've received. I guess the samples could just be that way from them. Though, I do prefer a screen mounted to a rigid backboard over a tensioned one.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #11087 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I'm not sure. I received samples of both DarkStar materials and neither was mounted on a rigid piece of material like other rigid samples I've received. I guess the samples could just be that way from them. Though, I do prefer a screen mounted to a rigid backboard over a tensioned one.
I was referring to your cleaning comment, not the mounting material.

Dave
post #11088 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
I was referring to your cleaning comment, not the mounting material.

Dave
Ah, my bad. That's a huge selling point for me. A screen has to be easy maintenance. So rigid and able to be cleaned with a screen cleaning solution and microfiber cloth.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #11089 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
I know you guys are talking about standard substrates with the screen material, but have any of you A-T folks tried the Falcon Horizon material? I absolutely love it so far. No moire, very tight weave that is not visible until right up against the screen, and looks incredible. I have been thoroughly enjoying mine so far. Audio loss is not that bad either when I measured it. Rich @ falcon is a great guy to deal with as well. Moving from a firehawk, to seymore XD, to DIY fabric, to this, the difference is pretty impressive!

And from a cleaning standpoint, just take it down and wash it like a bedsheet! Haha

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #11090 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Sitting down now to see Avengers Age of Ultron. My buddies wanted to see it cheap. $7.50 for a ticket is not bad. I'm the first one in the theater and I took a peek throught the port glass. They're using a Christie CP-2000ZX. 2100:1 on/off and 450:1 ANSI contrast

I'm not going to let it spoil my viewing. If I enjoy the movie aybe I'll treat myself to a matinee viewing at my local IMAX.

...the premovie stuff just kicked on and the projector is totally out of focus.......either that or these commercials are 480p.

Last edited by Seegs108; 05-08-2015 at 04:50 PM.
post #11091 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Totally out of focus..
post #11092 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Totally out of focus..
That sucks! I would walk out and demand a REFUND!

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #11093 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Despite the video reproduction failings the movie was still quite enjoyably. There was a glimmer of hope. Or so I thought. The pre-movie stuff was shown in 1.78:1 then once the trailers kicked in the screen masking went away everything was presented in scope. Either the theater was using an anamorphic lens or they were zooming. I couldn't tell. I thought maybe the focus was set with an anamorphic lens in place but unfortunately it was still pretty bad. Even one of my buddies sitting next to me asked why the picture looked so fuzzy. He knows nothing about projectors. I still enjoyed the movie. It was cleverly written, had good acting, and the action was paced appropriately.

FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
post #11094 of 11372 Old 05-08-2015, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

From recollection this is about how out of focus the lens was:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/125975

post #11095 of 11372 Old 05-09-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Due to my work schedule and some technical issues with my home theater, I'd been unable to watch anything on my projector for several months now. I recently got the issues ironed out, had time off work, and fired up the JVC RS57 to watch the Mayweather/Paq fight and since then several movies.

My gawd this image! The time off gave me time to forget just how good I had it. It's just an amazing combination of jump-off-the-screen contrast and image clarity. The RS57 has so far been the most satisfying projector, the one the makes me feel least like needing an upgrade.
post #11096 of 11372 Old 05-09-2015, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I know you guys are talking about standard substrates with the screen material, but have any of you A-T folks tried the Falcon Horizon material? I absolutely love it so far. No moire, very tight weave that is not visible until right up against the screen, and looks incredible. I have been thoroughly enjoying mine so far. Audio loss is not that bad either when I measured it. Rich @ falcon is a great guy to deal with as well. Moving from a firehawk, to seymore XD, to DIY fabric, to this, the difference is pretty impressive!

And from a cleaning standpoint, just take it down and wash it like a bedsheet! Haha

I just set it up about a month ago, and can't say enough about it. I have it paired with a JVC 4910. Very tight weave, indeed. I have to be within a foot to see it at all, and even then, it's barely visible. Rich was awesome to deal with! For my very first PJ setup, I honestly couldn't have asked for a much better picture considering the cost. Oh.. the corner brackets for the frame were a pretty slick idea too.

Edit: Did you measure the Horizon material or was this the original material? I remember seeing the Omnimic graph posted way back for the original stuff but nothing for the Horizon. I've been meaning to do this myself..

Last edited by MiniHT; 05-09-2015 at 07:33 AM.
post #11097 of 11372 Old 05-09-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I have been really thinking about an AT screen. After having a unity screen in a velvet room for 2 years, I gave thought to a different look. I just put my HP 2.4 screen up, surrounded by velvet. I think I will always have shelf mounted projectors, since I use 2-3 at a time. I never saw the screen material much with the HP screen, but so many suggest that it's best to have that image floating. Maybe it's just me but, I do not notice the screen with my jvc and the image looks excellent. Only time I did is with my Benq W7000 but it was getting almost max gain and extremely bright

Last edited by blee0120; 05-09-2015 at 09:25 AM.
post #11098 of 11372 Old 05-09-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Rich,

I seem to recall that you were going to try to go see a presentation with the new IMAX laser projectors. Have you done that? If so I am curious what you thought.

--Darin

Last edited by darinp2; 05-09-2015 at 10:29 AM.
post #11099 of 11372 Old 05-09-2015, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I have been really thinking about an AT screen. After having a unity screen in a velvet room for 2 years, I gave thought to a different look. I just put my HP 2.4 screen up, surrounded by velvet. I think I will always have shelf mounted projectors, since I use 2-3 at a time. I never saw the screen material much with the HP screen, but so many suggest that it's best to have that image floating. Maybe it's just me but, I do not notice the screen with my jvc and the image looks excellent. Only time I did is with my Benq W7000 but it was getting almost max gain and extremely bright
be carefully publicly admitting to liking the HP screen, you may soon be scorned for watching a projector on 100 grit sandpaper. Professor Millerwill was a lone soldier in the VW1000 thread for years defending his decision to keep the HP.

it's interesting reading the various opinions on screens, as if any one in particular doesn't have compromises... choose your battle.

3D on large, low gain screens doesn't work for me. if 3D was dim, I would have given up on it years ago. it has to be bright. if the texture on the 2.8HP was obvious in most content, I'd have gotten rid of it years ago. I've seen different high gain screen materials that were much more noticeably than the HP.

I have been interested in seeing the SI Slate screen used for ambient light viewing. i'm sure this will have compromises galore, but may be worth it for decent ambient light viewing using the LG PF1500. For now, I am using a make-shift screen from.... poster board. It works surprisingly well and I heard the texture is almost as smooth as snowmatt 100...
post #11100 of 11372 Old 05-09-2015, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I love my High Contrast High Power (grey base) 2.4 gain screen. I understand the point others make about "smoother" screens, though.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page