Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 370 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11071 of 11077 Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post
I have both screens Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 and JKP Affinity 1.1 gain.
For me the JKP Affinity is better,the picture being more pleasant and smooth to the eye,in fact i can't see any sparkle at all...maybe i am not sensitive to them.
Just make sure you stay that way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11072 of 11077 Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Yes, exactly! Once you see it - it's over. My girlfriend never noticed until I pointed it out to her and then she started seeing it. lol

I'm surprised JKP couldn't find a better way to eliminating or minimizing the issue at that gain.
Hahaha, that's funny!

And I'm really surprised at that as well as it seems they were so close at having something really special. I also noticed the HD Progressive material absorbs ink from labels really well (my samples arrived with sticker labels on them that were labeled with a pen). I feel like that would make it much more difficult to keep clean. There's no way to get that ink out though, I've tried. I haven't noticed this with any of my other samples and they have been similarly labeled. I love my DNP Supernova for that reason. I can just spray it with screen cleaner and wipe it down with a microfiber cloth. It's rigid so it's super easy to clean.
post #11073 of 11077 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I just don't see all production being in a hurry to upgrade all their hardware again.
Add to that the fact that there's an enormous infrastructure of HD MPEG2 that would need to be replaced for the local broadcast networks to even consider broadcasting UHD. What are they going to do, add a UHD subchannel, and try and cram UHD, HD, and SD into 19.2Mbps? Otherwise everyone has to replace their TVs again to be H.265/UHD compatible.
This is why I say broadcast TV is more likely to become obsolete before going to UHD.

Cable/Dish is much easier - just update the cable box. But even this is not very likely for a long time.

Broadcast OTH TV - forget it. Even though they are near a ATSC 3.0 spec., there is no way the US consumer (or the US congress) will tolerate a repeat of the Analog -> Digital TV conversion of the early 2000s. Besides, there is no 100 MHz bandwidth prize for the US government to sell.

So the only way I see it happening, is a slow dual transmission of a single SD or HD channel using the current standard, and a HD/UHD channel using H.265 or whatever. But all of this still must fit in the 20Mbps channel. And what is the financial intensive when most broadcasters already have 1 HD channel and 2-4 SD channels? It just isn't going to happen.
post #11074 of 11077 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I don't think Sony will come out with a better 4K projector. Or at least I don't think we'll see a Sony 4K projector with ANSI contrast or lens quality like we have with the 1100ES again. Your only hope is something great from JVC or Epson. Or possibly a 4K projector from Sim2 or DPI. But I doubt those will possess the on/off contrast to make you happy.

I never said I was waiting for a Sony, but of corse they will at some point come out With a better machine than the VW1100. I have some inside info about some 4K models, but I can not discuss it here...

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #11075 of 11077 Old Today, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Do you live stateside, or across the pond? I sent a request for a sample, but IIRC they said they couldn't send me one because I lived in another Country.

Regardless, I would like to get a sample to compare with my others.
I live 'across the pond'. It is weird they're saying that because I almost bought this screen from them two years ago. They've even calculated packing and shipping costs. The screen was supposed to be shipped in a large wooden crate since it's rigid. The packaging alone would've cost me 125€. But still I thought the deal was very good compared to the price of Stewart screens.

If they don't ship overseas now I see little point in you getting a sample. But if you're interested I might ship you mine. With a promise that you'll do a comparison with ST100.
Mr. Hatcher likes this.

Last edited by Elix; Today at 01:39 AM.
post #11076 of 11077 Unread Today, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
This is why I say broadcast TV is more likely to become obsolete before going to UHD.

Cable/Dish is much easier - just update the cable box. But even this is not very likely for a long time.

Broadcast OTH TV - forget it. Even though they are near a ATSC 3.0 spec., there is no way the US consumer (or the US congress) will tolerate a repeat of the Analog -> Digital TV conversion of the early 2000s. Besides, there is no 100 MHz bandwidth prize for the US government to sell.

So the only way I see it happening, is a slow dual transmission of a single SD or HD channel using the current standard, and a HD/UHD channel using H.265 or whatever. But all of this still must fit in the 20Mbps channel. And what is the financial intensive when most broadcasters already have 1 HD channel and 2-4 SD channels? It just isn't going to happen.
I've read that some broadcasters are wary about upgrading to 4K when 8K is right around the corner and is the ultimate end-goal. So they don't want to have to perform expensive upgrades twice in such a short time. Many may very well wait for 8K before upgrading their infrastructure. It will be MUCH easier for satellite providers or areas that have FttH (Fiber-to-the-Home) to the get these upgraded services rolled out.
post #11077 of 11077 Unread Today, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
I live 'across the pond'. It is weird they're saying that because I almost bought this screen from them two years ago. They've even calculated packing and shipping costs. The screen was supposed to be shipped in a large wooden crate since it's rigid. The packaging alone would've cost me 125€. But still I thought the deal was very good compared to the price of Stewart screens.

If they don't ship overseas now I see little point in you getting a sample. But if you're interested I might ship you mine. With a promise that you'll do a comparison with ST100.
I just ordered a large sheet of Lexan last night. That way I can mount all of my screen samples to it for easier comparisons. If you want to send me that sample, I'll definitely include it in my review. PM me for my address and to discuss it in further detail if you would like to move forward with that.

I do have to get a new lamp for my projector prior to doing the official review, and borrow a friend with a nice DSLR. Should be easy to persuade one of them to come over after I entice them with free food and drinks.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page