Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 376 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11251 of 11275 Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post
I find I usually much rather watch a movie as a solo experience for the most part.

Negatives of watching movies with friends and/or family:

1. Cell phones!!!!!!!!! How many of your friends/family turn off there cell phones when they watch a movie at your house? It's a ****ing epidemic! I'm fairly young at 34 and constantly having people texting, emailing, etc gets on my nerves. I flipped out on a friend once who literally texted through an entire movie.

2. Talking. Watching movies is generally NOT A SOCIAL EXPERIENCE. You sit in a dark room and watch a film, other then the occasional one liner or giggle, I find it kinda awkward sitting with a bunch of people and not saying anything. I personally can't stand talking, even with friends during a movie, unless I've already seen it a few times.

3. Hard to find movies to watch with people anyway. I like dark/mature/foreign/indie movies, and good luck finding people who will appreciate watching those types of movies or any movie that has subtitles. Made the mistake once of having "normal" people over and decided to watch OLDBOY (korean) and they were scarred for life. LOL. Never wanted to watch a movie at my place again. So unless you have friends who share similar tastes, or are into the same genre stuff you're into, have fun watching Fast and the Furious movies, comic book movies, or only big blockbuster type stuff, and even if you have film connoisseur friends......

4. Movie snobs. Aholes who have to pick apart every movie because they need to show off how intelligent they think they are.

The only movies I'd rather watch WITH people are comedies. Comedies lend themselves to a social experience, as can some bigger budget "popcorn" movies.

Maybe I just have ****y friends and faimily. LOL.

For me a personal viewing VR device would be pretty awesome.
Yep, I generally agree with you. Besides comedies, I always try and view first run movies alone so there are zero distractions. There are only 1 or 2 of my friends I truly even enjoy watching movies with since they know how to shut the F up and enjoy the film and not talk, ask questions, etc....during the presentation. Nothing takes me out of a film quicker then having any sort of human distraction. Everyone is different though as evidenced by the responses here. Concerts I am a bit more inclined to watch with people, but even those I prefer to watch alone, especially first watch. This mainly applies to my home theater where I am more interested/focused on technical aspects. Going out to a movie theater I am fine going with friends since I just expect distractions in that setting and I can never get a read on audio/bass in a commercial theater anyway so I am not as focused and interested from that aspect.

I will just also add that even watching with my GF who I generally enjoy watching with, she has to have her cell phone in there for work, or if her boys text or call and it annoys the $hit out of me!!!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; 05-21-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 11275 Old 05-21-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
In Dr. Raymond Soneira's DisplayMate review of the LG 55EA9800 OLED he states in the "Screen Reflections" section, "The LG OLED TV has the lowest screen Reflectance of any display that we have ever measured, just 2.2 percent, which is half of the previous 4.4 percent record – an impressive achievement. LG accomplished this by using both an anti-reflection screen treatment together with circular polarizers that suppress light reflections (which are part of the TV’s 3D FPR optics, below)".

Here's another reflectance quote from the same article: "Reflectance Test Results: Using an Integrating Hemisphere and Spectroradiometer we measured an Average Screen Reflectance of 2.2 percent for the LG OLED TV, the lowest we have ever measured for any display. The Specular (Mirror) Reflectance was also very low at 2.7 percent. We measure that with a Spectroradiometer using a narrow collimated pencil beam of light that is reflected off the screen. LG accomplished this by using both an anti-reflection screen treatment together with circular polarizers that suppress light reflections (which are part of the TV’s 3D FPR optics)".
http://www.displaymate.com/LG_OLED_TV_ShootOut_1.htm

Hopefully LG will continue to improve on that over the next few years, but so far so good. It's not perfect, but I highly doubt we would see reflections from a normal seating distance in a darkened room...maybe if you had something with a light on it behind you, but that could be eliminated.
This sounds like an excellent start for OLED TV, for I agree that reflections from highly reflective tv's have been the most annoying feature I've observed. $25K for LG's 77" diag model is pretty prohibitive at present, but it may become much more reasonable as the technology matures. Still hard to see how it could replace my 144x72 screen, though; seems no way a rigid screen of this size could work its way into the room, so things this size will await the 'roll up' variety.
Mr. Hatcher likes this.
post #11253 of 11275 Old 05-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
This sounds like an excellent start for OLED TV, for I agree that reflections from highly reflective tv's have been the most annoying feature I've observed. $25K for LG's 77" diag model is pretty prohibitive at present, but it may become much more reasonable as the technology matures. Still hard to see how it could replace my 144x72 screen, though; seems no way a rigid screen of this size could work its way into the room, so things this size will await the 'roll up' variety.
I'm no Nostradamus, but I'm predicting 10+ years before 100"+ 4K or 8K OLED versions are residentially available for ~$25,000. And that may be a bit optimistic.

So while it is exciting that this technology is just around the corner, in the grand scheme of things, we better not run out and sell our projectors and a kidney just yet.

But who knows, at the rate technology is progressing these days, it could happen sooner rather than later. We're currently in a niche market, but if LG or whoever can figure out a way to manufacture really large OLED or QLED displays than can be rolled onto a tube and easily and cheaply shipped, and they are able to price them within reach of more consumers, the market will surely boom. That's a lot of "IF" though...
post #11254 of 11275 Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I am not sure about a 100" flat panel, but I would guess that 80" panels will be relatively affordable. I could see 80" OLEDs going for under $5k in less than five years. Anything bigger than that will be market determined. I would be interested to know how big the market is for TVs over 80".
Mr. Hatcher likes this.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #11255 of 11275 Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Looking forward to this! Movie watching is a solo activity for me as I find it distracting watching movies with others in general (with the exception of watching with the GF sometimes).
I made the mistake tonight of going to see Mad Max 3D in a local cinema. At first I thought it would be ok, the theater was relatively empty. Then a family of 7 came in.. with a 2 year old. Who sat in my row. next to me. And let the kid watch the movie without 3D glasses. how do you think that went?

The 3D was good but this 'Real 3D' DLP projector's black levels were pretty weak, several low APL scenes looked flat. brightness was very good though and sharp overall.

This movie wasn't anything of what I was expecting. Great chase scenes but that was it for me, I wasn't a fan of the story. No comparison IMO to the memories created by the 2nd Mad Max - Road Warrior. I have the BD sitting right next to me. I better watch it now to bring some redemption to what they did to this movie.
post #11256 of 11275 Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I made the mistake tonight of going to see Mad Max 3D in a local cinema. At first I thought it would be ok, the theater was relatively empty. Then a family of 7 came in.. with a 2 year old. Who sat in my row. next to me. And let the kid watch the movie without 3D glasses. how do you think that went?

The 3D was good but this 'Real 3D' DLP projector's black levels were pretty weak, several low APL scenes looked flat. brightness was very good though and sharp overall.

This movie wasn't anything of what I was expecting. Great chase scenes but that was it for me, I wasn't a fan of the story. No comparison IMO to the memories created by the 2nd Mad Max - Road Warrior. I have the BD sitting right next to me. I better watch it now to bring some redemption to what they did to this movie.
Yeah, that type of experience can kill it for me as well.

Thanks for the movie report. I am planning to make it out to see it as well.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #11257 of 11275 Old 05-22-2015, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Who brings a 2 year old to a movie like that? And why did they have to sit next you in an empty theater? Maybe they figured you would watch their kid lol
post #11258 of 11275 Old 05-22-2015, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Why buy them from Hong Kong and China. Keep looking you will find good used ones. Ask the seller to test them to be sure they hold a charge before you buy them.
Is it possible to test them without a compatible Sharp display?
post #11259 of 11275 Old 05-22-2015, 07:18 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quick question, do the sony 3d glasses I have from my 55es work with the 350es? I know it has the universal RF on it, and it is just as simple as firing it up and trying I guess, but I didn't have time last night.....

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #11260 of 11275 Old 05-22-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Quick question, do the sony 3d glasses I have from my 55es work with the 350es? I know it has the universal RF on it, and it is just as simple as firing it up and trying I guess, but I didn't have time last night.....
No, the IR glasses will not work with the 350.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #11261 of 11275 Old 05-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is exactly why I have my own theater now. Besides, no commercial theater can give me the PQ that my residential theater provides so it's a mute point to even consider going to any local commercial theaters for me.

Well, I do still enjoy watching movies such as Transformers, Pacific Rim & Godzilla (movies with larger than life monsters or robots) on a really large screen. It's cool to be able to get a better sense of scale. But for normal movies, no way. Too many distractions (cell phones, kids, people talking, etc...) in a theater. And commercial theaters are required to leave on safety lighting (which is distracting itself)...no thanks.
DavidHir likes this.

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 05-22-2015 at 04:55 PM.
post #11262 of 11275 Old 05-26-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 607
I recently had Chad B out to re-cal/tune-up my RS4810. He did a great job as usual and I highly recommend him if you're interested in getting your projected pro-cal'd.

Offical JVC DLA-RS4810 Owners Thread
Chad B likes this.

post #11263 of 11275 Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 593
both the greyscale and gamma are relatively easy to calibrate on the 4810, have you considered picking up calibration equipment for tune ups?

The D3 Pro + CP combo is a great affordable kit for this purpose. it's nice to watch a projector after a fresh calibration, I just did this recently on the RS46 and it looks great.
post #11264 of 11275 Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
both the greyscale and gamma are relatively easy to calibrate on the 4810, have you considered picking up calibration equipment for tune ups?

The D3 Pro + CP combo is a great affordable kit for this purpose. it's nice to watch a projector after a fresh calibration, I just did this recently on the RS46 and it looks great.
Yes, the fresh cal is still making me shake my head at just how good this projector can look.

Thanks for the suggestion, but given Chad's prices are very reasonable including for tune-ups (which are cheaper than initial cal) and given he's uses a reference spectro Jeti 1211 for top notch accuracy, I just rely on him to come out periodically to optimize every aspect of the image from head to toe.

post #11265 of 11275 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Zombie,

Can you please reply to my PM when you get a chance?
post #11266 of 11275 Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Where does Chad reside? The low price probably only applies for those who live in the same area that he lives.

Dave
post #11267 of 11275 Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:

After having some RS232 issues with my Minolta I decided to get one the D3 Pro's to use with ChromaPure. I love it so far and it's CHEAP too. Tom Huffman said it's normally (unit to unit variation) more accurate than the Minolta for color measurements. It's got a lot of bang for the buck.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 05:43 PM.
post #11268 of 11275 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Where does Chad reside? The low price probably only applies for those who live in the same area that he lives.

Dave
He covers a lot of the midwest, east, and south - sometimes goes west though.

I would send him a PM to see if there is anything lined up for the AZ area.

He also does audio. He calibrated my Denon X3000 with the pro-Audyssey and REW - sounds phenomenal and much better than the basic auto cal Audyssey.

Last edited by DavidHir; Yesterday at 06:17 PM.
post #11269 of 11275 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
lovingdvd

Yes, Im pretty sure that the CP2 is arround 0.9 gain and when I did compare the CP4K and Neo S they looked about the same gain, but I will test them Again ( and maybe find / use my lightmeter too ) , when I get some time and then return to you ( probely in a week or something ) with a fresh view / opion

dj

BTW. the EN4K was visible dimmer then the CP2, when I did compare them, at that time, that was one of the resons, I didnt go with that screen materiel.

BTW2.

all three of the materiels in my Photo ( CP2, CP4K and Neo S ) had the same kind of Black backing layer behind them.
Well, looks like I beat you to it.

I got a hold of a good sample of CP4. It measured around 0.92 gain. Enlighter-Bright / Center Stage XD measures closer to 1.0 and is about 8% brighter than CP4 by my tests. This is also noticeable when viewing projected images on the fabric side by side.

My preliminary acoustics testing of the screen transparency looks to give a slight edge to the Center Stage XD as well. Its possible the CP4 does better with color shift, although I can't detect any such shift in a 2 x 2 sample of XD. The CP4 material is a little less noticeable so perhaps if I was planning to sit closer than 12 feet that could be a swaying factor. But from everything I've seen the XD material is still my top pick. At this point I've pretty much exhausted all other options, having tested many AT screens now over the past couple months. I big part of this is that at 140"w 2.40 screen I'll be scrambling for all the brightness I can get, so being 8% brighter with seemingly everything else being equal (or close to it) XD gets (or I should say "keeps") my vote.
post #11270 of 11275 Old Today, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I got a hold of a good sample of CP4. It measured around 0.92 gain. Enlighter-Bright / Center Stage XD measures closer to 1.0 and is about 8% brighter than CP4 by my tests. This is also noticeable when viewing projected images on the fabric side by side.

My preliminary acoustics testing of the screen transparency looks to give a slight edge to the Center Stage XD as well. Its possible the CP4 does better with color shift, although I can't detect any such shift in a 2 x 2 sample of XD. The CP4 material is a little less noticeable so perhaps if I was planning to sit closer than 12 feet that could be a swaying factor. But from everything I've seen the XD material is still my top pick. At this point I've pretty much exhausted all other options, having tested many AT screens now over the past couple months. I big part of this is that at 140"w 2.40 screen I'll be scrambling for all the brightness I can get, so being 8% brighter with seemingly everything else being equal (or close to it) XD gets (or I should say "keeps") my vote.
XD is a nice fabric, as long as it works with your viewing distances.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #11271 of 11275 Old Today, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Hey Zombie, when you going to test this:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/27/p...box/#continued

Mr. Hatcher and cardoski like this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #11272 of 11275 Old Today, 09:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

That just flat out is not going to work for me. I like to watch my movie while I am eating my pizza. With this, I would have to eat the pizza first.
Mr. Hatcher and cardoski like this.

post #11273 of 11275 Old Today, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

But a Little strange, because I have Again ( by eyes only for now ) compared the CP2 against the CP4 and the Neo S and visible, I have to say, I was wrong, when I said they were equel, the CP2 looks a Little brighter then the CP4 and Neo ( and if the CP4 is 0.92 gain, then the CP2 must be higher in gain ).
I will try too measure later.

Thanks for sharing your Measurement, LD

dj
post #11274 of 11275 Old Today, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Dang, you beat me to it, LOL! I was just reading that article and thought the same thing.
post #11275 of 11275 Unread Today, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

But a Little strange, because I have Again ( by eyes only for now ) compared the CP2 against the CP4 and the Neo S and visible, I have to say, I was wrong, when I said they were equel, the CP2 looks a Little brighter then the CP4 and Neo ( and if the CP4 is 0.92 gain, then the CP2 must be higher in gain ).
I will try too measure later.

Thanks for sharing your Measurement, LD

dj
I know you find your updated observations a bit confusing, but based on what I am seeing your updated observations are more likely correct compared to your initial observations.

What is the minimum viewing distance that you care about watching from and where is your main watching position?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page