Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 376 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #11251 of 11260 Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Movie-watching has always been a social thing with me. Watching monster movies on TV when I was young, with my Dad, brother or friends, meeting friends to join the massive buzz-filled line-ups for the first night of a new blockbuster. Movie theaters filled with people
getting into the same movie. I watch movies on my own all the time simply because I watch so many of them. But I had friends over twice this week for movie watching and it always elevates the experience, sharing it with someone else.

When I read of people who prefer to do these thing alone I sometimes feel like I'm just another species; I can't relate at all.
Too me it all depends on the type of movies you watch. Yeah a good monster movie, or watching an upcoming blockbuster like Juarassic Park, or Terminator would be preferable with friends. I recently watched Mad Max at the theatre, and I agree it was awesome and fun watching a movie like that with people, also the Raid 2 was the single best action movie ever, and it was enhanced by the audience reaction, but the movies I usually watch aren't people friendly

Watching serious dramas also doesn't add too much to the experience, at best a good drama will leave the theatre completely silent, at worst you get people talking or checking there phones reminding you why you never wanna watch movies with people again. I usually prescreen my movies that I'm not sure about anyway to see if other people I know will even want to watch them.

My dad travels A LOT and is always asking for movies. I download a bunch of stuff he loves (typical action, thriller movies like Taken 3) and never end up watching them. It's funny how he talks about how great they are when a few of them are complete and utter trash. Most people tend to like pretty crappy movies, so unless I want to watch a lot of crap, I gotta watch alone. It's a sad life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 11260 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post
I find I usually much rather watch a movie as a solo experience for the most part.

Negatives of watching movies with friends and/or family:

1. Cell phones!!!!!!!!! How many of your friends/family turn off there cell phones when they watch a movie at your house? It's a ****ing epidemic! I'm fairly young at 34 and constantly having people texting, emailing, etc gets on my nerves. I flipped out on a friend once who literally texted through an entire movie.

2. Talking. Watching movies is generally NOT A SOCIAL EXPERIENCE. You sit in a dark room and watch a film, other then the occasional one liner or giggle, I find it kinda awkward sitting with a bunch of people and not saying anything. I personally can't stand talking, even with friends during a movie, unless I've already seen it a few times.

3. Hard to find movies to watch with people anyway. I like dark/mature/foreign/indie movies, and good luck finding people who will appreciate watching those types of movies or any movie that has subtitles. Made the mistake once of having "normal" people over and decided to watch OLDBOY (korean) and they were scarred for life. LOL. Never wanted to watch a movie at my place again. So unless you have friends who share similar tastes, or are into the same genre stuff you're into, have fun watching Fast and the Furious movies, comic book movies, or only big blockbuster type stuff, and even if you have film connoisseur friends......

4. Movie snobs. Aholes who have to pick apart every movie because they need to show off how intelligent they think they are.

The only movies I'd rather watch WITH people are comedies. Comedies lend themselves to a social experience, as can some bigger budget "popcorn" movies.

Maybe I just have ****y friends and faimily. LOL.

For me a personal viewing VR device would be pretty awesome.
Yep, I generally agree with you. Besides comedies, I always try and view first run movies alone so there are zero distractions. There are only 1 or 2 of my friends I truly even enjoy watching movies with since they know how to shut the F up and enjoy the film and not talk, ask questions, etc....during the presentation. Nothing takes me out of a film quicker then having any sort of human distraction. Everyone is different though as evidenced by the responses here. Concerts I am a bit more inclined to watch with people, but even those I prefer to watch alone, especially first watch. This mainly applies to my home theater where I am more interested/focused on technical aspects. Going out to a movie theater I am fine going with friends since I just expect distractions in that setting and I can never get a read on audio/bass in a commercial theater anyway so I am not as focused and interested from that aspect.

I will just also add that even watching with my GF who I generally enjoy watching with, she has to have her cell phone in there for work, or if her boys text or call and it annoys the $hit out of me!!!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; Yesterday at 07:01 PM.
post #11253 of 11260 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
In Dr. Raymond Soneira's DisplayMate review of the LG 55EA9800 OLED he states in the "Screen Reflections" section, "The LG OLED TV has the lowest screen Reflectance of any display that we have ever measured, just 2.2 percent, which is half of the previous 4.4 percent record – an impressive achievement. LG accomplished this by using both an anti-reflection screen treatment together with circular polarizers that suppress light reflections (which are part of the TV’s 3D FPR optics, below)".

Here's another reflectance quote from the same article: "Reflectance Test Results: Using an Integrating Hemisphere and Spectroradiometer we measured an Average Screen Reflectance of 2.2 percent for the LG OLED TV, the lowest we have ever measured for any display. The Specular (Mirror) Reflectance was also very low at 2.7 percent. We measure that with a Spectroradiometer using a narrow collimated pencil beam of light that is reflected off the screen. LG accomplished this by using both an anti-reflection screen treatment together with circular polarizers that suppress light reflections (which are part of the TV’s 3D FPR optics)".
http://www.displaymate.com/LG_OLED_TV_ShootOut_1.htm

Hopefully LG will continue to improve on that over the next few years, but so far so good. It's not perfect, but I highly doubt we would see reflections from a normal seating distance in a darkened room...maybe if you had something with a light on it behind you, but that could be eliminated.
This sounds like an excellent start for OLED TV, for I agree that reflections from highly reflective tv's have been the most annoying feature I've observed. $25K for LG's 77" diag model is pretty prohibitive at present, but it may become much more reasonable as the technology matures. Still hard to see how it could replace my 144x72 screen, though; seems no way a rigid screen of this size could work its way into the room, so things this size will await the 'roll up' variety.
Mr. Hatcher likes this.
post #11254 of 11260 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
This sounds like an excellent start for OLED TV, for I agree that reflections from highly reflective tv's have been the most annoying feature I've observed. $25K for LG's 77" diag model is pretty prohibitive at present, but it may become much more reasonable as the technology matures. Still hard to see how it could replace my 144x72 screen, though; seems no way a rigid screen of this size could work its way into the room, so things this size will await the 'roll up' variety.
I'm no Nostradamus, but I'm predicting 10+ years before 100"+ 4K or 8K OLED versions are residentially available for ~$25,000. And that may be a bit optimistic.

So while it is exciting that this technology is just around the corner, in the grand scheme of things, we better not run out and sell our projectors and a kidney just yet.

But who knows, at the rate technology is progressing these days, it could happen sooner rather than later. We're currently in a niche market, but if LG or whoever can figure out a way to manufacture really large OLED or QLED displays than can be rolled onto a tube and easily and cheaply shipped, and they are able to price them within reach of more consumers, the market will surely boom. That's a lot of "IF" though...
post #11255 of 11260 Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I am not sure about a 100" flat panel, but I would guess that 80" panels will be relatively affordable. I could see 80" OLEDs going for under $5k in less than five years. Anything bigger than that will be market determined. I would be interested to know how big the market is for TVs over 80".

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #11256 of 11260 Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Looking forward to this! Movie watching is a solo activity for me as I find it distracting watching movies with others in general (with the exception of watching with the GF sometimes).
I made the mistake tonight of going to see Mad Max 3D in a local cinema. At first I thought it would be ok, the theater was relatively empty. Then a family of 7 came in.. with a 2 year old. Who sat in my row. next to me. And let the kid watch the movie without 3D glasses. how do you think that went?

The 3D was good but this 'Real 3D' DLP projector's black levels were pretty weak, several low APL scenes looked flat. brightness was very good though and sharp overall.

This movie wasn't anything of what I was expecting. Great chase scenes but that was it for me, I wasn't a fan of the story. No comparison IMO to the memories created by the 2nd Mad Max - Road Warrior. I have the BD sitting right next to me. I better watch it now to bring some redemption to what they did to this movie.
post #11257 of 11260 Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I made the mistake tonight of going to see Mad Max 3D in a local cinema. At first I thought it would be ok, the theater was relatively empty. Then a family of 7 came in.. with a 2 year old. Who sat in my row. next to me. And let the kid watch the movie without 3D glasses. how do you think that went?

The 3D was good but this 'Real 3D' DLP projector's black levels were pretty weak, several low APL scenes looked flat. brightness was very good though and sharp overall.

This movie wasn't anything of what I was expecting. Great chase scenes but that was it for me, I wasn't a fan of the story. No comparison IMO to the memories created by the 2nd Mad Max - Road Warrior. I have the BD sitting right next to me. I better watch it now to bring some redemption to what they did to this movie.
Yeah, that type of experience can kill it for me as well.

Thanks for the movie report. I am planning to make it out to see it as well.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #11258 of 11260 Old Today, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Who brings a 2 year old to a movie like that? And why did they have to sit next you in an empty theater? Maybe they figured you would watch their kid lol
post #11259 of 11260 Old Today, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Why buy them from Hong Kong and China. Keep looking you will find good used ones. Ask the seller to test them to be sure they hold a charge before you buy them.
Is it possible to test them without a compatible Sharp display?
post #11260 of 11260 Old Today, 07:18 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quick question, do the sony 3d glasses I have from my 55es work with the 350es? I know it has the universal RF on it, and it is just as simple as firing it up and trying I guess, but I didn't have time last night.....

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread