Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 377 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2015, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Nice collection! it looks familar

I think you should keep the Sharp for the same reason i'm keeping the DC4 planar. Both had for a great price (the Planar was new old stock) and great in their own respective areas (Planar for 2D, Sharp for 3D). Those are the finds worth keeping imo. Plus I've been using it for gaming recently.

Are you testing any 4K gaming on the Sony?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 585
I haven't tested any 4K gaming on the Sony yet. I've been playing a lot of GTA V on my PC monitor though. It's quite cinematic on my LG 34UM95. It has a native 21:9 aspect (3440 x 1440 resolution) and gives many games a unique look. Once I test out the Sony I hope I don't have issues playing back modern games at 4K. I have nvidia GTX 980s in SLI and an i7 5930K CPU and I still doubt I'd be able to set most games at max detail and get good frame rates. We'll see though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
Old 06-07-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 639
I didn't realize how much larger the Sony is compared to the X500!

Old 06-07-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
It's quite a bit bigger and heavier. It's the largest projector I've had here with the Digital Projection HighLite 1080p Cine 260-HC coming in a close second.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
Old 06-08-2015, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I know right! I would be a little skeptical about ceiling mounting that beast over my head.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
I know right! I would be a little skeptical about ceiling mounting that beast over my head.
Why. People have items that large and heavy over their heads all the time. I have several ceiling fans in my house that are as heavy as the VW1100. As long as you use the correct fasteners and secure to solid framing or blocking, you have nothing to worry about.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Why. People have items that large and heavy over their heads all the time. I have several ceiling fans in my house that are as heavy as the VW1100. As long as you use the correct fasteners and secure to solid framing or blocking, you have nothing to worry about.
I'm paranoid about ceiling fans hanging directly over my head as well, LOL! I know it's fine, and a projector (or ceiling fan for that matter) falling on your head is probably less likely to happen than getting struck by lightning, but it still doesn't change the fact that I know there's something that could potentially kill me hanging 5' above my noggin. Risk v/s reward; I'm still sitting under the projector.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I'm paranoid about ceiling fans hanging directly over my head as well, LOL! I know it's fine, and a projector (or ceiling fan for that matter) falling on your head is probably less likely to happen than getting struck by lightning, but it still doesn't change the fact that I know there's something that could potentially kill me hanging 5' above my noggin. Risk v/s reward; I'm still sitting under the projector.
As high as some of my ceilings are, even if the over head object only weighed a couple pounds, it would probably kill me if it hit me in the head. Since I installed the blocking and installed all of the fans, hanging light fixtures and projectors in my house, I am not worried about it.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As high as some of my ceilings are, even if the over head object only weighed a couple pounds, it would probably kill me if it hit me in the head. Since I installed the blocking and installed all of the fans, hanging light fixtures and projectors in my house, I am not worried about it.
Hahaha! We should totally start watching movies while wearing hardhats (albeit ones covered in black velvet).

Oh lord, this should do. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BLAC...-/161639020769

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 06-10-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Hopefully laser projection will do for home 3D what it's doing for 3D at the theatre. I posted the following in another thread over on the 3D section.

It looks like the IMAX laser theatre is going to be a game changer for 3D. Peter Howell, a film critic for the Toronto Star and a 3D hater, just published an article in the Toronto Star entitled: I've seen the future -- and its in 3D. He went to a screening of Mad Max in 3D at the IMAX, which uses new laser projection (only four in North America) and he claims it was an incredible experience -- bright and extremely detailed image with massive depth and he loved it. He said: "But seeing Mad Max in 3D on IMAX with laser simply blew me away. It was like viewing the film, which I love, for the first time. IMAX with laser makes me finally a believer in what 3D can do, well worth the not-inconsiderable $7 ticket surcharge."

A bright 3D image without any ghosting or flicker makes a huge difference and now that critics and consumers alike are experiencing it they too are becoming converts.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Hopefully laser projection will do for home 3D what it's doing for 3D at the theatre. I posted the following in another thread over on the 3D section.

It looks like the IMAX laser theatre is going to be a game changer for 3D. Peter Howell, a film critic for the Toronto Star and a 3D hater, just published an article in the Toronto Star entitled: I've seen the future -- and its in 3D. He went to a screening of Mad Max in 3D at the IMAX, which uses new laser projection (only four in North America) and he claims it was an incredible experience -- bright and extremely detailed image with massive depth and he loved it. He said: "But seeing Mad Max in 3D on IMAX with laser simply blew me away. It was like viewing the film, which I love, for the first time. IMAX with laser makes me finally a believer in what 3D can do, well worth the not-inconsiderable $7 ticket surcharge."

A bright 3D image without any ghosting or flicker makes a huge difference and now that critics and consumers alike are experiencing it they too are becoming converts.
Take a look at this thread. BenQ Full Laser DLP projector fall 2016
Old 06-15-2015, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Try sitting under a Sony G90 during a earth quake. When we moved to Texas from Washington State, it took 4 guys to lower it. It was floor mounted down here. P.s. My wife would never sit under it. Still excellent projector I turn on often. 4K Sony in future.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

if anyone is looking for a great .95 DLP projector, this is a good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Runco-LS-3-L...item3f4e2c1561

it comes with a new Runco lamp and original box. This isn't talked about often, but these are quite good for those interested in gaming. Image is razor sharp as well, a major leap in overall PQ vs. the cheap .65 DLP's. + full vertical lens shift as well.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Is anyone still experiencing problems with last years JVC (X500, X700, X900, RS49, RS57, RS67)?

If so, please take a look at my post here: Official JVC DLA-X700R / RS57U Owners Thread

I've been battling an issue for a long time now where switching inputs would randomly cause my screen to go black with green lines flashing all over it. The only way to fix it was to power the projector off and back on, which sometimes required me to hard power off by unplugging it. I played with many settings and did tons of research and testing for months, but what finally resolved my issue was disabling 4K scaling in all components other than my JVC X700 'AND' by disabling CEC in all components including the projector. More details are in the JVC thread linked above, but that's a quick breakdown of how I was finally able to get myself running trouble free.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Is this the laser tech that's coming to select JVC HT projectors this winter?

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL102324

There's four laser models labeled NEW on the main page.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/c...oductId=PRO6.2
Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It would be great if they did that and gave us more lumens, full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. Still would like to see a 4K version at the top end.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It would be great if they did that and gave us more lumens, full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. Still would like to see a 4K version at the top end.
I agree! Those are specialty projectors and even the lamp based models don't produce near the same CR as the home theater models. That said the lamp models state >18,000:1 whereas the laser hybrid models state 20,000:1. Hopefully they can get that laser tech implemented into the home theater models, but with a little more brightness and the same or better black levels and contrast as last years models.

I'm guessing that's what is going to be the case. And then they'll have one, maybe two, high-end models that are also native 4K...and priced accordingly. I don't see laser powered plus native 4K projectors being mainstream affordable this year or the next. I hope I'm wrong, but with a dearth of content it doesn't make sense to mass produce and sell them cheaply outside of marketing appeal.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The sell sheet shows 30K contrast (typical) or 20K minimum (full iris open). This is close to the X500's native contrast wide open.

Also important to note is the <25ms lag time, so they can already do this in the consumer models if they want to. Someone at JVC has to be tired of hearing how Sony 1080P models have ~30ms lag time, etc. Heck, this is one of the reasons some gamers go to Sony vs. JVC just for this reason alone, despite wanting a JVC to begin with.

I think their most cost-effective move this year would have been to take this laser hybrid model, update the original DI with a 2.0 version and add the HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 + low lag time.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The sell sheet shows 30K contrast (typical) or 20K minimum (full iris open). This is close to the X500's native contrast wide open.

Also important to note is the <25ms lag time, so they can already do this in the consumer models if they want to. Someone at JVC has to be tired of hearing how Sony 1080P models have ~30ms lag time, etc. Heck, this is one of the reasons some gamers go to Sony vs. JVC just for this reason alone, despite wanting a JVC to begin with.

I think their most cost-effective move this year would have been to take this laser hybrid model, update the original DI with a 2.0 version and add the HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 + low lag time.
True, it's close but I sure hope they don't sacrifice CR for a new light engine. I feel like if they optimized the optical path better (less internal reflections), they could get away with making it brighter without sacrificing black levels any. I do really hope they give us a Game Mode this year. That's a huge selling point for us gamers!

I agree. I want all of those things as well as refined e-Shift & Clear Black, even better motion resolution, and faster HDMI switching. Maybe an upgraded processor would fix some of those issues.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
FYI, I just talked to a Sales Jackass in Toledo today who sells Sony, Epson projectors who told me Epson is not even close to Sony

that the Epson LS10000 can't touch the Sony 350; that even Epson admits they are not the same quality as Sony

this is Mindboggling and laughable. Many on this forum have compared the two and they are much much closer to each other than not

when did Epson ever say they are not on par with Sony

He also said the Sony 350 had better black levels than the Epson Laser; that also sounds like Garbage

He also told me not to listen to anyone on the internet because it is usually people with little or no experience in the industry

These sales morons are a joke; clearly, the profit margin of Sony is higher so it is better for him to sell Sony than Epson

Why would anyone buy from these idiots at the Specialty Stores ?

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on this
Old 06-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

FYI, I just talked to a Sales Jackass in Toledo today who sells Sony, Epson projectors who told me Epson is not even close to Sony

that the Epson LS10000 can't touch the Sony 350; that even Epson admits they are not the same quality as Sony

this is Mindboggling and laughable. Many on this forum have compared the two and they are much much closer to each other than not

He also said the Sony 350 had better black levels than the Epson Laser; that also sounds like Garbage

He also told me not to listen to anyone on the internet because it is usually people with little or no experience in the industry

These sales morons are a joke; clearly, the profit margin of Sony is higher so it is better for him to sell Sony than Epson

Old 06-30-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd take the LS10000 over the 350ES any day of the week.
ultra 150 pilot likes this.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

FYI, in case you want to call them , it is Jamiesons' Audio Video in Toledo
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

You should've called his bluff and asked him to prove it by stacking them in an A/B config in a blacked out room. Then have them both professionally calibrated and brightness matched.

Those guys are only in it for the money, they do not care if the customer gets the better end of the deal. The only reason you should ever listen to those guys is if you only need a display that gets really bright. Otherwise, they are going to try to sell you based on numbers. If the manufacturer claimed whatever number is bigger than the competition, it must be better right? There is no regulation on what a manufacturer can specify about their product. Infinite contrast, 960Hz refresh rate, blah blah blah...show me the real data/numbers taken from professional grade test equipment that has been recently calibrated...then we'll talk dollars.
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The forums are filled with stories of shops who provide 1 sided views of the products they sell which produces the most profit. For this mentioned company, they are likely a Sony dealer and the Epson's are hard to get for the average dealer. They need to sell products to stay in business.

What is interesting is the boutique shops. Look up 'Cineversum Blackwing' and see some of the prices for their projectors. These are basically re-badged JVC's with a fancy case and selling for a high price. They have been in business for years, so someone is parting their $$ with this company. The marketing info makes one believe they did some magic mojo to the JVC to significantly increase the PQ.

There has never been a better time than now for the average consumer looking to make a purchase (electronics, cars, homes, etc) and get credible information if they do their homework. Some of my best purchases over the last 10 years wouldn't have been possible without the vast resources of the internet and the help of insightful folks out there.
jjcook, DavidHir and cardoski like this.
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
There has never been a better time than now for the average consumer looking to make a purchase (electronics, cars, homes, etc) and get credible information if they do their homework. Some of my best purchases over the last 10 years wouldn't have been possible without the vast resources of the internet and the help of insightful folks out there.
I appreciate all the help and insight that you and others provide. Thank you all.
zombie10k and Mr. Hatcher like this.

For Sale: Panamorph DC1 anamorphic lens - $2800 or best offer
WTB: Triad InWall Bronze SlimSub/4 ; InCeiling/InWall Gold Omni SE or InCeiling Silver MiniMonitors
Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
Old Today, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

JVC RS 6710, Sony VW1100, JVC RS46 + 1 cool console. Soul Calibur still looks great 16 years later.

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector