Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 378 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11311 of 11315 Old Today, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
i'm surprised no one has asked about the comparison of the flagship model vs. the retired entry model.
I guess I'll take the liberty and say that you've sort of already talked about this when commenting on the X500 vs RS46, in that, you didn't particularly like how the DI works now that brightness fluctuations stick out more in your totally blacked out room. You've also said you don't find that the DI gives a subjectively better image with most content (only with extremely dark content). So that leaves native vs native between the two. Can you see the difference in native contrast when we're already in the high twenty-thousands to one (full brightness difference) in real world scenarios? If you don't feel the DI helps then I don't see how such an insignificant difference, by comparison to what the DI brings to the table, in native contrast would make the 6710's image better. The lens is the same between the two so there shouldn't be a difference in subjective sharpness and I would imagine the 6710 to be just about as bright as the RS46 due to the the second fixed iris in front of the lamp on the 6710. I don't mean to take such a "the more expensive JVCs are mostly a waste of money" attitude but I think JVC really shot themselves in the foot due to how close the bottom end unit each year for the past 3-4 years has performed by comparison.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11315 Old Today, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I guess I'll take the liberty and say that you've sort of already talked about this when commenting on the X500 vs RS46, in that, you didn't particularly like how the DI works now that brightness fluctuations stick out more in your totally blacked out room. You've also said you don't find that the DI gives a subjectively better image with most content (only with extremely dark content). So that leaves native vs native between the two. Can you see the difference in native contrast when we're already in the high twenty-thousands to one (full brightness difference) in real world scenarios? If you don't feel the DI helps then I don't see how such an insignificant difference, by comparison to what the DI brings to the table, in native contrast would make the 6710's image better. The lens is the same between the two so there shouldn't be a difference in subjective sharpness and I would imagine the 6710 to be just about as bright as the RS46 due to the the second fixed iris in front of the lamp on the 6710. I don't mean to take such a "the more expensive JVCs are mostly a waste of money" attitude but I think JVC really shot themselves in the foot due to how close the bottom end unit each year for the past 3-4 years has performed by comparison.
There is always the fact that as design become more and more perfected it leaves less room for improvement.
post #11313 of 11315 Unread Today, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
that's a good recollection. I think the RS46 was the best of the base models before it was discontinued. It received the update to 'fix' the 3D and is basically the same performance as today's higher end JVC models. It also received a better lamp, so this was the start of the lamp issues going away for good. + it had better OOTB color than it's predecessors, including the high end models.

if you find a low mile RS46/X35 at a good price, that's a bit of a gift since your getting the majority of the overall performance capable of the current platform.

I still prefer e-shift 1. not necessarily the MPC processing, but the optical shift. I looked closely at this with text (not just the menus) and it's definitely different between the 2 methods.

The gamma calibration changes have been discussed at length but I still find the original controls easier to deal with, especially when calibrating greyscale @ 5-25 IRE. These can be noticeably different even when the offset adjustments provide a good measurement @ 30 IRE. It's easy to go in and adjust the gamma's individual RGB values to get it nice and close to D65.

I don't think I've ever watched Oblivion from beginning to end, but it has a lot of challenging scenes that can make a good calibration stand out, especially the low APL scenes where the JVC's excel over all others. for the iris, there's a number of FTB scenes, some have longer transitions than others. For the short one's, the iris doesn't have much time to react. For the longer transitions, the gamma shift can stand out a bit with blooming, then it settles down. These are probably areas where they could tweak the software to handle it a bit different in the upcoming models.

I was hoping JVC would have continued the base model to price compete with the HW40/55 and the Epson 5030 price range. The RS46/X35 is dead.. long live the base model.
post #11314 of 11315 Unread Today, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 585
So is that just a unit you're calibrating for someone or are you keeping the RS6710?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
post #11315 of 11315 Unread Today, 03:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:
So is that just a unit you're calibrating for someone or are you keeping the RS6710?
Unit he is calibrating for a customer.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page